-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black -- Live!
 FB @ Joe's Pub NYC 9/3 + 9/4

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Broken Face Posted - 06/18/2010 : 07:49:21
Its not on the Joe's Pub site yet, but it is on Pollstar (and quasi-confirmed by management).

Who's buying me a drink there?

- Brian
34   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Troubles A Foot Posted - 10/08/2019 : 11:09:30
Hey! I was at one of these! Good time.
picpic Posted - 10/08/2019 : 01:48:31
Lol. I thought it was a new thread and kept reading until the "I know this thread is 9 years old". Thought Frank Black was back.

___
"Service Unavailable"
vilainde Posted - 10/08/2019 : 00:29:22
Nevermind I got it. Todd Demma.

Denis
vilainde Posted - 10/07/2019 : 23:51:41
OK yeah I know this thread is 9 years old but... anyone knows who was the drummer at these shows? Thanks!

Denis
Broken Face Posted - 09/11/2010 : 05:09:49
Sunday's setlist via Music Swamp:

I Heard Ramona Sing
Ten Percenter
Planet of Sound
Horrible Day
(I Want to Live on An) Abstract Plain
Nimrod’s Son
That Burnt Out Rock and Roll
Six-Sixty-Six
Where Is My Mind
Bullet
Calistan
Big Red
Manitoba
Get Away Oil
Sing For Joy
Dog In The Sand
Los Angeles

Dead Man’s Curve

Re: video - Shoot me an email fbforever - fbpodcast(at)gmail.com

- Brian
fbforever Posted - 09/10/2010 : 23:47:22
Anyone have the setlist for sunday ? the 3 shows were nearly identical except order played. i also have decent video for the entire show friday if someone can tell me where/how to post it.
Ziggy Posted - 09/10/2010 : 03:29:44
That Music Swamp review is fantastic.
Carl Posted - 09/09/2010 : 09:13:54
BrooklynVegan - Black Francis played 3 shows @ Joe's Pub (night 1 pics).

The Music Swamp - Black Francis (Pixies Frontman): Joe's Pub.
Skatealex1 Posted - 09/06/2010 : 18:53:58
I'm also curious to see the Sunday setlist. I was wearing the California pot leaf t-shirt in case anyone spotted me at the Saturday night show. It was definitely a bit short at one hour, but that said I still thought the songs were played well and black francis had a good vibe throughout the show, alot of joking around. Even though there weren't many surprises I enjoyed all the songs. Burnt out rock n roll is pretty awesome. Opening with nimrods son, beautiful horrible day,get away oil,Los angeles, black rider, sing for joy, etc.... All the songs sounded good. Lack of non stop erotik is a little strange maybe but it makes sense I guess. I get the feeling that album was recorded on the spot/quick kind of thing anyway, though a song like six legged man might be cool to hear sometime. I was surprised by the band though, as originally I thought it was gonna be a solo show, but it was cool that they had a drummer and Eric drew Feldman doing his thing. You can't really go wrong with a frank black show tho. All in all I thought it was a lot of fun and one of my best shows in a while even with the show only being an hour .
madtempest Posted - 09/06/2010 : 18:44:36
I was amazed at the number of songs from the first FB album!
Mismatched Sasquatch Posted - 09/06/2010 : 12:09:52
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

it was billed as a "Black Francis" show because that is what he is going by nowadays - Black Francis.

Of course...just pointing out the irony of a Black Francis show with no Black Francis songs...

Anyway, I'm over it, at least until I see the setlist from Sunday!

----------
Could I stay just for awhile?
Broken Face Posted - 09/05/2010 : 09:11:12
The audio of Los Angeles from last night's show:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F3O5Y580

I'll post a (far away, partially obstructed by the waitstaff) video from the show tomorrow.

Don't say i never did anything for you kids...

- Brian
Broken Face Posted - 09/05/2010 : 08:30:04
Sadly, i'm sure tonight's show will be the longest, and the only one i'm not going to. Oh well.

PS Sasquatch - it was billed as a "Black Francis" show because that is what he is going by nowadays - Black Francis. And i think the reason that the show was the way it was is due to the unique band that played - a lot of the Bluefinger/Seven Fingers stuff wouldn't really work with a minimal drum kit and EDF (although i'd love to hear them tackle "Seven Fingers" the song...). Plus, we heard "Big Red" - that's pretty special.

I may have some goodies to share later...

- Brian
Mismatched Sasquatch Posted - 09/05/2010 : 03:45:38
Ah, Brian has posted the correct setlist while I wrote...Getaway Oil, eh? How'd I miss that one? Plus an explanation for the short set....%#^%^ Joe's Pub. Very nice room though

----------
Mismatched Sasquatch Posted - 09/05/2010 : 03:41:18
Sept 4 setlist:

Nimrod’s Son
???? – Something about a Brown Mouse?
Big Red
Calistan
Bullet
Abstract Plain
Horrible Day
Burnt Out Rock & Roll
Six-Sixty-Six
Where Is My Mind
The Swimmer
Los Angeles
Black Rider
Manitoba
Sing For Joy

I’m torn about how to review this show. Mostly, it was awesome. Eric Drew Feldman was there, and there was a piano, and I kept thinking about all the awesome songs they could play. I even started to fantasize about hearing something like Fast Man. Big Red and Calistan were highlights, I had a huge smile on my face all the way through the latter.
They did a great version of Horrible Day, with BF and EDF stopping and talking about trying to be more “country”. In fact, the more “country” BF tried to sound as the song went along, the less country he sounded! They talked about this special pump organ they’d lugged along from San Francisco (“pumpy”), and this led to some interesting arrangements for Where Is My Mind/Swimmer/Los Angeles. Sing For Joy always kicks ass. And then…that was it. Definitely bummed about the shortness of it, but had the feeling they were up against some venue time constraints (although I see they sqeezed in 4 more songs the previous night)

So, it was great. My wife’s first BF show, and she enjoyed.

On the drive back to Phila, I couldn’t help myself but feel disappointed, and it boils down to this: this is billed as a Black Francis show, and they played zero Black Francis songs. OK, two Pixies songs are sorta Black Francis, but really they are Pixies songs. There were also

3 covers
5 Frank Black
4 Frank Black & the Catholics

Zero Black Francis. The most “recent” song played was Sing For Joy, from an album that is over five years old. BF hasn’t played a show in Philly since before Bluefinger (and very little else nearby…1 in Easton, MD last year, and a couple in NYC but I think those were Grand Duchy). I drooled over accounts of the European/West Coast Bluefinger shows, and now that he’s finally back within driving distance of Philly, we basically got the Christmass-era setlist. No Svn Fingers, no NSE. I would have bet my car that there would be at least one song from NonStopErotik (although it's not a very nice car!). It used to be that BF would be playing songs that were so new that they weren’t even released yet, working six months ahead of time. Now nothing younger than 5 years?

OK, rant over, sorry to be negative. I really loved the show. I know no one ever gets their ideal setlist. Just a contrast between what was and what could have been

[I recognize that my argument may be partially invalidated when I find out what the “Brown Mouse” song was, but for now I write on in blissful ignorance…]

----------
Broken Face Posted - 09/05/2010 : 02:44:59
Night 2 Setlist:

Nimrod's Son
Getaway Oil
Big Red
Calistan
Bullet
Abstract Plain
Horrible Day
That Burnt Out Rock and Roll
Six Sixty Six
Where Is My Mind?
The Swimmer
Los Angeles
The Black Rider
Manitoba
Sing for Joy

This venue crams three different paying shows into each night - 7:30, 9:30, and 11:30. The 7:30 ran late, so FB + crew didn't go on until 9:45, but still had to end their set at 10:40, so we lost a bunch of songs. Nice room, nice people who run it, but lame business practices if you ask me.

- Brian
Sugar denizen Posted - 09/04/2010 : 20:07:48
was there at the 3rd. speechless. thanks charles, it was an unbelievably good time. If only I could afford to go to tomorrow's show as well.
Broken Face Posted - 09/04/2010 : 13:27:51
If anyone is at tonight's show, I'm wearing a blue and gray striped shirt - come say hi!

- Brian
Broken Face Posted - 09/03/2010 : 18:16:13
Night 1 setlist:
Six sixty six
Black rider
Horrible day
Nimrod's son
Big red
Cactus
Calistan
Bullet
Dog in the sand
Swimmer
I heard ramona sing
Ten percenter
Planet of sound
Los Angeles
Abstract plain
That burnt out rock and roll
Getaway oil
Dead man's curve
Manitoba

Sing for joy

- Brian
langdonboom Posted - 09/03/2010 : 07:40:06
Anything happening on the meetup front? In anycase - looking forward to the show tonight!!
Neptune Posted - 09/01/2010 : 08:44:27
"Dinner reservations highly recommended" at Joe's Pub

Might be a little late, but if you don't have a table res then it's 1st come 1st served for the remaining space. Never been, so I don't know how bad that is...

see y'all there
trobrianders Posted - 09/01/2010 : 07:08:12
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

The New Yorker - Black Power.

Carl Posted - 08/31/2010 : 10:46:31
The New Yorker - Black Power.
matto Posted - 07/14/2010 : 13:31:59
from the bureau:
UPDATE: A third Black Francis solo date has been added for Joe's Pub on September 5th in NYC.

sminki pinki
langdonboom Posted - 07/01/2010 : 10:34:19
McSorley's could work -- also the Scratcher on 5th is a close by pub and could be good. Let me know what the group decides and I'd love to meet up!
gyaneshwar Posted - 06/28/2010 : 05:13:33
I am arranging my trip now, and if I go, I am definitely down for a meet up.
Broken Face Posted - 06/28/2010 : 04:31:25
How about a meet up before Friday's show? Anyone willing to brave McSorley's?

- Brian
langdonboom Posted - 06/27/2010 : 06:54:00
Just got my tix for Friday night.... I'll probably get one for Saturday, too. Lots of drinks coming your way, I'm sure, Brian!

-Matthew
Broken Face Posted - 06/24/2010 : 10:12:11
I'd assume different sets. I'll be at both...

- Brian
langdonboom Posted - 06/24/2010 : 04:50:18
What do you think guys -- same set both nights? Or are you going to go to both? Greedy for some FBF after all this time.....
Broken Face Posted - 06/23/2010 : 07:18:26
http://www.joespub.com/component/option,com_shows/task,view/Itemid,40/id,5285

- Brian
Mismatched Sasquatch Posted - 06/20/2010 : 12:34:34
Yes, I will buy you a drink.

Looks like no Philly show...except Doolittle Round 2 later that week, which I already shlepped to NY to see the first time around, because there was no Philly show....alright, enough bitching

Black Francis solo! YES cant wait. Us east-coasters have had few chances since FM/RM

any info on when tix are going on sale would be appreciated

----------
langdonboom Posted - 06/20/2010 : 08:49:09
I will definitely buy you a drink, and keep very quiet!
darwin Posted - 06/18/2010 : 17:56:47
I'll buy you a drink (even 2) if you buy me a plane ticket.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000