-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black -- Live!
 friday june 24 the mint 25th too

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
echo park Posted - 06/26/2010 : 12:49:57
hey gang! long time no posty.

suddenly, the man hisself played the mint last night in L.A. great timing as i recently met a gal in that neighborhood who wanted to go on a date. meanwhile, i won two tickets from the buzzbands.la blog!

the set was instantly amazing. it had been a while since i got to see FB solo w/telecaster. i was immediately aware again of what a powerhouse phenom we all have been into.

he did one (or two) songs from each FB/BF and pixies release. so it's easy for me to remember the songs...
kicked off with Caribou, good bye lorraine... and (out of order) ramona, big red (kool!!), men in black, tame, planet of sound (great!),
velouria (beautiful!), wherre is my mind, all my ghosts (awesome), western star, the swimmer, california bound, whiskey in your shoes, sing for joy ( was never into honeycomb but this version won me big time), fitzgerald, the water, dead man's curve, angels come to comfort you (great!!), when they come to murder me,
finished with los angeles

anybody know what Golem tune? there was one i didn't recognize toward the end, and maybr another in the middle somewhere i didn't know...

chucky was in good spirits with much fun banter, and one antic with his old T-shirt that i am just gonna leave for those who were there, i don't think i can do it justice online...

wowza, i'm going back to my telecaster with some real inspiration. he's still my contemporary favorite rocking man. we got to catch up afterward, he totally remembered me from the manitoba session with stan and vdp some seven years ago.

LA peeps, get down there tonight!! i'm fully satisfied from last night, but i'd love to read about tonight's show.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
echo park Posted - 02/28/2021 : 20:17:49
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

rock nyc - pop music live & recorded: Black Francis At The Mint, Los Angeles, Friday, June 25th, 2010: Instantaneous Vibrations By Alyson Camus.

i just found the new archive of that review if anyone's curious. these are the things i get around to during Covid when gigs are sparse...

https://rocknyc.live/black-francis-at-the-mint-los-angeles-fr.html

-eric
echo park Posted - 02/28/2021 : 20:15:45
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIIiLXM6yYM Western Star :)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Thanks!!!!! This made my day!

yeah! i'm glad i found this old post, cuz i missed that video back then, and now it brings 10 year flashbacks! cheers.

echo park Posted - 02/28/2021 : 20:13:30

quote:
Originally posted by fbc

quote:
Originally posted by echo park

the date went great! she was mighty impressed even though only familiar with pixies and first FB album. she was totally down to bop and grind to the chug of the telecaster. don't know how to top that first date, though...

You've dropped the "hey, I sang with him" line, yeah?

yeah, i probably did, before or during the set. i mean, i only have so many claims to fame . she's a huge Brian Wilson fan, too, so i had to tell her about VDP. actually, that turned out to be really fun, cuz when we went to see Charles in the green room afterwards, she was ready: she asked him, "wow - what was it like to have Van Dyke Parks pitch in on your song"? it was brilliant cuz Charles got pretty misty fannish about it while responding.

that gal was very cool. and i enjoyed seeing or hearing about her in musical circles around town. we didn't date any further, as my Lady J and i eventually got back together and now she's my fiancee! Funn.
Ziggy Posted - 06/29/2010 : 02:03:32
Thanks for posting!
Daisy Girl Posted - 06/28/2010 : 14:01:35
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Thanks!!!!! This made my day!
fbc Posted - 06/28/2010 : 07:28:51
quote:

the date went great! she was mighty impressed even though only familiar with pixies and first FB album. she was totally down to bop and grind to the chug of the telecaster. don't know how to top that first date, though...

You've dropped the "hey, I sang with him" line, yeah?
theonecontender Posted - 06/28/2010 : 04:14:16
I wanna live in los angeles. Thanks for the post.
pixie punk Posted - 06/28/2010 : 03:10:30

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Ziggy Posted - 06/28/2010 : 01:22:22
He flicks between the two sounds ... the joys of a piezo bridge!

That guy in the rock nyc link is a fucking idiot

"always be hard for someone to follow a successful number like the Pixies, and you can tell that his solo material, although well received by the public, did not trigger the same enthusiasm than the few Pixies’ songs he performed. The audience, largely male and mostly in its 30-40’s, was very attentive and supportive, apparently belonging to his strong fan base."

"some of them did not sound like any of the Pixies’ songs."

BLT Posted - 06/27/2010 : 18:28:05
quote:
it had been a while since i got to see FB solo w/telecaster.

This doesn't sound like the "solo acoustic" show that was advertised.
Carl Posted - 06/27/2010 : 17:53:59
rock nyc - pop music live & recorded: Black Francis At The Mint, Los Angeles, Friday, June 25th, 2010: Instantaneous Vibrations By Alyson Camus.
echo park Posted - 06/27/2010 : 16:35:59
he introduced big red by saying that Ray Bradbury was awesome
and that he was going to a Ray Bradbury reading and book signing the next afternoon in glendale. alas, I had rehearsals then...

ccuadros Posted - 06/27/2010 : 02:45:23
Wow so many great old songs
fbc Posted - 06/26/2010 : 22:35:56
What a great setlist! Ramona, Big Red and Men in Black just jumped right out at me.

Hope the date went well!
Ziggy Posted - 06/26/2010 : 14:38:36
That sounds marvellous!

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000