-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 'Pixies planning Hollywood-themed new album'

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ziggy Posted - 06/25/2009 : 00:54:07
http://www.nme.com/news/nme/45571

Pixies planning Hollywood-themed new album

Frank Black reveals plan for new material

Pixies frontman Black Francis has revealed that he is planning to record the band's first new album since 1991's 'Trompe Le Monde' with a Hollywood film director.

Francis told NME.COM that he would like to work on a film and music tie-in project, but did not rule out recording a standard new album.

"The band needs to work with a film director," he told NME.COM. "Quentin Tarantino or someone like that. It'd be like, 'Make some music for our film, you guys [Pixies] be the sound of the film'. Spread the word about the idea 'cos I think it's gonna work."

The singer/guitarist added that if the band keep playing live he'd be interested in recording a more conventional album.

"We'd have to finally get sick of playing the old repertoire and go, 'Alright, fuck it. Let's play new songs in our set'," he explained. "But the only way we'd really want to do it is if it was really great.

"There's a fear that if we try to commit something to tape then even if it doesn't come out stellar, somehow those recordings will get leaked. The band is beloved by its audience, so we don't want to fuck it up."

Pixies recently played an intimate club show in London to mark the forthcoming release of a new box set, 'Minotaur'.

Watch an exclusive backstage interview with the band by clicking on the video below.
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Levitated Posted - 03/04/2010 : 08:42:45
I think that's a typical Kim reaction. We shouldn't read too much into it. I'd prefer having the band playing shows "all over the world" with rarely performed songs, make believe, ana, trompe le monde, etc... and maybe, just maybe releasing a couple of singles here and there... just like bam thwok, that was a very cool song!
eroticvultcha Posted - 03/04/2010 : 01:25:13
Yeah, at first, I half-wondered what Kim's problem was. I see where she was coming from now.

Unless the Pixies existed as something other than a touring band nowadays, a new album would be interpreted, by me at least, as a bit... un-organic.

"I've got my own gas tanks."
trobrianders Posted - 02/25/2010 : 01:44:19
quote:
Originally posted by eroticvultcha

Can't help but feel Frank has tried to get the others into the studio the best he can, but the enthusiasm isn't exactly there for some. He tries to bring up an interesting concept for a new album here, but Kim sort of brushes it off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzI3N0vgwRU

Another awkward moment. Charles brings up the subject again (cameras rolling), Kim deftly agreeing it's a great idea but then abruptly changing subject, Joey diplomatically looking out the window. I don't blame Charles really but I think if Kim ever changes her mind about recording new material it probably won't be because of one of Charles' ideas.

Edit: Just noticed, this interview is from 2004 so a bit redundant.

But I'd like to add I admire Kim for her consistency. It's been six years, plenty of time to flip-flop, but she remained true.

eroticvultcha Posted - 02/21/2010 : 09:45:28
Can't help but feel Frank has tried to get the others into the studio the best he can, but the enthusiasm isn't exactly there for some. He tries to bring up an interesting concept for a new album here, but Kim sort of brushes it off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzI3N0vgwRU
Carl Posted - 07/24/2009 : 08:54:11
Musicradar.com - Frank Black: Don't wait for new Pixies album.
Mickey Posted - 07/14/2009 : 09:49:28
'Pixies release box set, tour. Frank Black continues career long habit of speaking over speculatively with hack journalists who take everything he says literally'

-Mickey
jbstevens Posted - 07/07/2009 : 04:55:16
quote:
Originally posted by floop

that's such a bullshit article

yeah, complete bs

"Yellow fifty-two / He's an undertaker bee"
thierry512 Posted - 07/06/2009 : 00:47:27
There is french film from the beginning of the 90's with only pixies songs, it is called "albert souffre". But i've never seen it, this film is hard to find.
ClassicalRey Posted - 06/29/2009 : 13:56:47
I thought he had mentioned a whiles ago that for a new Pixies album he'd like to just do a soundtrack to some cheesy B-movie sci-fi/horror flick. Maybe he liked Tarantino's Grindhouse thing.
blarg007 Posted - 06/29/2009 : 13:45:49
What they should do is have David Lynch produce a new LP
for them -that's right Lynch is the producer with Steve albini
as tape splicer/engineer, analog maestro straight man to Lynch's
wise-ass Gordon Cole schtick...and the process could be a documentary
filmed by either Martin Scoercese (over-qualified) or Tarantino
(needs to do something like this to bolster his street cred.)
-How could the big guns not want to do this -a film to make money with,
a soundtrack LP to cash in on and the legendary audiophile half speed mastered studio LP
(limited to 10,000 numbered copies on initial release)to suck in even more
cash with.

Oh, not to mention making millions of fans happy that have
patiently supported them and are waiting...

...for a healthy group of talented people WHO ARE STILL ALIVE
AND CAPABLE to make a 21st century mark while they still can
(Tromp Le Monde came out last century..)

oh well.
soundofataris Posted - 06/29/2009 : 12:04:15
yeah effing right

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy
cargro Posted - 06/29/2009 : 02:21:13
Great news! Pixies will play live again in fall. I hope new material will follow!
1965 Posted - 06/28/2009 : 22:30:24
QT > D Fincher > D Lynch.

I have the key to #902
Crackitybones Posted - 06/27/2009 : 01:13:27
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Pixies planning Hollywood-themed new album > Frank Black Begs Film director to Hire Pixies > Black Francis Fires Potential Directors

>>>> ergo Mickey Mouse is Kim Deal's love child.

British music press wankers!
darwin Posted - 06/26/2009 : 08:01:26
Pixies planning Hollywood-themed new album > Frank Black Begs Film director to Hire Pixies > Black Francis Fires Potential Directors
floop Posted - 06/26/2009 : 06:55:56
christ
fbc Posted - 06/26/2009 : 05:58:38
Pixies planning Hollywood-themed new album > Frank Black Begs Film director to Hire Pixies
Ziggy Posted - 06/26/2009 : 01:10:05
NME is losing its editor soon. Hopefully there's be a change of tone.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 06/25/2009 : 15:19:57
Yeah, come on. He's joking about things and they're taking it as writ.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
trobrianders Posted - 06/25/2009 : 10:09:01
Picture the scene. After show party for Minotaur, a few Scotches under his belt, he falls into pretentious party talk; "Oh yes, it would be great to work with someone like Tarantino". Happens before you know it. Morning regrets. Meanwhile some young pup on the make at NME (who doesn't really give a damn anyway) caps his night out on the NME's coin.

floop Posted - 06/25/2009 : 09:51:29
nor does he suggest that they're "planning" an album.

he doesn't even mention "themed"
darwin Posted - 06/25/2009 : 09:48:35
It doesn't look like Frank ever said "Hollywood".
pot Posted - 06/25/2009 : 09:31:09
It is indeed. That's the NME for ya.

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
floop Posted - 06/25/2009 : 08:59:07
that's such a bullshit article
pot Posted - 06/25/2009 : 08:53:52
I just caught this on NME too!

Hope they don't work with tarantino though...

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
velvety Posted - 06/25/2009 : 08:29:35
It's NME reporting it. Not getting my hopes up just yet.
I don't know if this is much more than Frank saying that the Pixies should do an album of weird polkas, like he has in the past.

Come on Kim!!! Pretty please...
trobrianders Posted - 06/25/2009 : 06:44:06
Hollywood film director? Kinda presumptious. A little discretion might help. That's what he's paying an agent for. Not cool.

Carl Posted - 06/25/2009 : 05:30:58
Yeah, this is very interesting news!
danjersey Posted - 06/25/2009 : 01:52:04
Great News!

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000