-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Der Golem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
trobrianders Posted - 03/22/2009 : 22:47:30
From blackfrancis.net

ERIC DREW FELDMAN is a rock and roll producer, baby! But when is THE GOLEM coming to us? We have heard the documentation will be together in a great grimoise with over 50 pages, 4 silver discs of musical dreams from the studio and the film festival performance, and a shiny disc of the UFA film with the new BLACK FRANCIS musical dreams. It shall be numbered only to that limit called 500, but will have the signature of BLACK FRANCIS upon it!

johnnyribcage Posted - 06/05/2020 : 06:38:26
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

That's pushing a bit far, but best post-Catholics, definitely.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

I'm with you. Golem is outstanding. The rock album edit is only eclipsed by Bluefinger as far as I'm concerned for post-Catholics output.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Bedbug Posted - 03/16/2020 : 08:55:30
Agreeing with you. This album has really trended up for me. Some really great tunes on this thing
Brank_Flack Posted - 03/15/2020 : 15:55:52
Relistening to the single album for the first time in years - it's the real deal. I liked it at the time but I don't think I appreciated *just* how good it is.

Possibly a top 10 FB/Pixies album.
trobrianders Posted - 11/14/2019 : 06:58:38
New 4k restoration on blu-ray out Monday on the Eureka Masters of Cinema label. Choice of three separate soundtracks (not Frank's though).

trobrianders Posted - 06/29/2014 : 02:07:46
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

I was blown away at first but tired of it quickly. Maybe it's time to give it another go. It's the reverse of my reaction to FMRM, which I couldn't stomach initially but like a lot now (well, at least my abridged version).

Can you abridge down to one? Only kidding, many fine songs.

OLDMANOTY Posted - 05/07/2014 : 11:42:45
I was blown away at first but tired of it quickly. Maybe it's time to give it another go. It's the reverse of my reaction to FMRM, which I couldn't stomach initially but like a lot now (well, at least my abridged version).
Jason Posted - 05/05/2014 : 13:38:54
I like to take walks late at night and this is a great album for that. Just punch it up on your MP3 player and let it play straight through. It's so moody and well-written and I get hooked on a different moment every time.

It's one of his best.
1965 Posted - 05/04/2014 : 22:51:27
I think Golem is very under-rated! In my top 5 of all albums FB has done, including Pixies

I have the key to #902
Sprite Posted - 05/04/2014 : 12:12:32
I like it but I am not crazy about it, however that may be because I have not listened to it enough times. But it just occurred to me while listening to Indie Cindy and reading your post: Silver Snail feels a bit Golemy.
vilainde Posted - 05/04/2014 : 09:20:46
That's pushing a bit far, but best post-Catholics, definitely.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
The Maharal Posted - 05/04/2014 : 09:10:44
What a collection of songs. His best post-TOTY?
Carl Posted - 04/17/2012 : 06:00:36
*bump*

Just a little thing here...

Open Culture - The Pixies’ Black Francis Creates Soundtrack for Famous German Expressionist Film, The Golem.
pot Posted - 07/28/2011 : 08:46:27
I wanted one when it came out, but didn't quite have the money to spare. I still don't, but if I come across some dosh sometime I might be interested then. Are you interested in a swap? Probably not I suppose if you are looking to clear space.
BillyRadcliffe Posted - 07/28/2011 : 07:07:58
Hey, is anyone interested in purchasing The Golem set? I've got #219.

Newborn baby at home and trying to free up space and put any funds to better use!
Discoking Posted - 03/24/2011 : 22:47:00
yes, this means that abbabubba is now a proper silver disc. (if only i had known this in advance...)
thanks for checking, nate.

it's educational
Nate in the PDX Posted - 03/22/2011 : 06:10:13
So saith the reverse of the "Abbabubba" disc I purchased this past weekend: CA / - Abbabubba - 42951

So saith the reverse of the "Golem" rock edit disc I purchased this past weekend: CA / - THE GOLEM: HOW HE COME INTO THE WORLD - 40855

(I didn't buy "Abbabubba" during the original run, so I don't have one of those at hand for comparison's sake.)
Discoking Posted - 03/22/2011 : 05:50:01
the abbabubba that was first for sale in the webstore was a cd-r.
the code(s) on the reverse of the disc can tell a lot, yes. if you don't mind having a close look and listing what it says, that would be great.

it's educational
Nate in the PDX Posted - 03/22/2011 : 05:40:04
Discoking, the packaging and discs for both "Golem" rock edit and "Abbabubba" appear to be identical, to my untrained eye. Both are in cardboard sleeves, and both appear to be "proper CDs". How would I tell otherwise? Is there something in the tiny code printed on the reverse that would tell me? I don't have the first pressing "Abbabubba" for comparison.
Discoking Posted - 03/22/2011 : 00:08:48
quote:
Originally posted by Nate in the PDX

This past weekend I picked up both "The Golem" rock edit disc and "Abbabubba" at Music Millennium here in Portland

is abbabubba a cd-r or a proper cd?
are both cds still released in a digipack (cardboard), or have they changed to a jewel case, for example?

it's educational
Nate in the PDX Posted - 03/21/2011 : 19:12:43
This past weekend I picked up both "The Golem" rock edit disc and "Abbabubba" at Music Millennium here in Portland -- they had plenty of copies of each -- and am really enjoying rediscovering the great songs of The Golem through this new presentation. (I was too lazy to assemble the rock edit playlist from the box set when it was announced... yeah, I'm that lazy.)

Anyway, it's been a while since I listened to the original, which I had in heavy rotation after the box set came out but haven't listened to very heavily for six months or more. So I'm really delighted about that as a fan. And more than happy to contribute a few more dollars to the cause.

On to hoping for that Thompson/Paley project to see the light of day... and would it be too much to ask for a Thompson/Paley tour? It's been too long since the heady days when Reid would rile everybody up with his opening set and the Catholics would mow 'em down... but I digress...
Brank_Flack Posted - 03/15/2011 : 08:25:50
4 Stars from Allmusic

http://allmusic.com/album/the-golem-r2133831/review

Trimmed down from the five-disc extravaganza Black Francis sold in a limited edition of 500 copies on his website, this version of The Golem focuses more on his full-fledged songs for the 1920 silent horror film The Golem: How He Came into the World and less on his instrumental cues. While this decision might disappoint some of the film and film score geeks among Francis' fans, the album still has plenty to offer, not the least of which is Francis' reunion with longtime collaborator Eric Drew Feldman. Feldman's keyboards and Francis' voice and guitar just sound natural -- and immediately recognizable -- together. Joined by a backing band that includes Ralph Carney on horns, they craft music that doesn’t borrow too heavily from the ‘20s or from the film’s setting of 16th century Prague, but its loose-limbed rock still conveys the otherworldly eeriness and fable-like story of its source material. The city’s rabbi creates the Golem out of clay to project the Jewish ghetto, but the Golem rebels, devastating the city. “The Obedient Servant,” the Golem’s song of devotion to his master, is strangely sweet, but dark undercurrents lie in lyrics like “Don’t cry/It’s they who’ll die” and its brass melodies. In “Miriam and Florian,” Francis cleverly captures the love affair between the rabbi’s daughter and her knightly suitor, turning the song into a mini rock opera in its own right. The enjoyment that Francis and crew display in channeling the film’s devilish moments (“Astaroth,” “The Conjuring”) as well as its tender ones (“The Flower Song,” “[Oh How I Wish I Could] Stay") is palpable even in The Golem's edited state, and the project suggests another exciting realm in which Francis can prove his talent.

fbc Posted - 01/31/2011 : 03:42:28
I haven't listened to it for a while, not from beginning to end. Like the past few albums there are certain songs I keep coming back to.

I forget what came before, but I remember at the time it was refreshing, for me, to hear this side of Black (though the it's all one song/it's all disco philosophy says he only has one). It just sounded familiar. In a good way.
pot Posted - 01/31/2011 : 03:14:04
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

I don't hear no boring bits in the Golem.
But to answer your question, they edited out most instrumental tracks and some of the instrumental outros and stuff.

Ok. So still some music left to put in it then..

...I'm just joshing.

Hey, I didn't think much of it. It didn't do anything for me- just saying, eh.

Am I the only person who didn't much like it? Everyone else seems to be raving about it..
fbc Posted - 01/31/2011 : 02:53:08
The only Black Francis album in my iTunes. Beatles - Black Francis - Bob Dylan. A Black Frank Sandwich. Tasty.
vilainde Posted - 01/28/2011 : 11:00:55
I don't hear no boring bits in the Golem.
But to answer your question, they edited out most instrumental tracks and some of the instrumental outros and stuff.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
pot Posted - 01/26/2011 : 13:14:42
Did they edit out all the boring bits?
coastline Posted - 01/26/2011 : 06:37:04
Well, I guess my collection isn't complete without the Golem rock edit. Gonna have to head over to the BF webstore ...
vilainde Posted - 01/25/2011 : 21:23:22
I bought it. I haven't checked but I think the songs are slightly edited from the original version.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
coastline Posted - 01/25/2011 : 13:34:47
Did you buy the rock edit, Denis, or just make a playlist from the original?
vilainde Posted - 01/25/2011 : 09:53:50
Hey thanks for digging up that thread. I listen to the Golem very regularly - mostly the "rock edit" version cause it works really well. It's so fucking good.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
coastline Posted - 01/25/2011 : 06:50:11
For the record, this is still a great album/soundtrack/score/whatever. I put it on for the first time in ages this morning, and was pleasantly surprised to enjoy the songs as much as I did the first bunch of times I listened to them.
hegisin Posted - 09/28/2010 : 18:38:39
Webstore admin is obviously also reading here! They contacted me and I hope my problem will be sorted out! :)
hegisin Posted - 09/27/2010 : 17:06:54
Hi,

I hope that someone can help me out. I've ordered "Der Golem" boxset in February. I don't want to explain the whole story of the order but fact is, that I still did not receive my copy. I'm located in the Philippines and that might be the reason of all the problems. However, after initially I got some support from the customer service, I'm no longer receiving any reply from them. Maybe it's due to a change in the webstore.

If someone here knows anyone from the webstore, please do me a favour and ask them to get in touch with me. My original order was No. 1300, dd. Feb. 20, 2010.

I can provide further information if necessary.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Cheers,
hegisin
Carl Posted - 09/01/2010 : 09:38:57
Alamo Drafthouse - Pixies Fans, Silent Film Fans, Unite! DER GOLUM with Score by Black Francis.
The Holiday Son Posted - 04/29/2010 : 09:41:46
I watched the dvd yesterday for the first time and had never heard the songs before.
I loved the music (except maybe a couple of tracks) but I've gotta say that some songs don't fit the movie very well (sometimes the music is fast paced and the movie slow, sometimes it's the opposite.)
At times, it sounded more like an album inspired by the movie than an actual soundtrack.
Anyway, it was a strange but enjoyable experience and hey, the music is great !

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000