-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Has a frank song ever made you cry?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gotmeamovie Posted - 10/27/2009 : 01:46:27
I cried when I heard sing for joy

really reminded me of the break up of my fmaily and my parents
and the lonely childhood I had in my family

i think it is one of his most affecting live songs

really sings it like it happend to him, which it did

"If all you've seen, is violence!"
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
yarbles Posted - 04/23/2017 : 07:31:27
I shed a tear or two after hearing Magdalena 318 for the first time when they debuted it live in LA in 2013 with Kim Shattuck.... it was the first of the new songs that to me sounded like classic Pixies. Tears of joy celebrating the return of that classic Pixies magic.
yarbles Posted - 04/23/2017 : 07:30:21
I shed a tear or two after hearing Magdalena 318 for the first time when they debuted it live in LA in 2013 with Kim Shattuck.... it was the first of the new songs that to me sounded like classic Pixies. Tears of joy celebrating the return of that classic Pixies magic.
Sam Posted - 04/19/2017 : 03:36:23
Yep - coastline from SMYT. Total heartbreaker.
shedshrine Posted - 04/14/2017 : 06:18:06
Seems to me it’s all about how you come at sadness. Expressed as release it becomes joy.

As far as Charles Frank Black Francis Thompson’s music and its ability to convey that joy, well.. In the right place at the right time to accept it, usually driving, I’ve definitely been moved to that point by many of his songs. The undeniable effects of sleep deprivation play a role in this phenomenon for me. :)

The all-in sincerity of Chip Away Boy and I Will Run After You. And with End of Miles, around the parts “sold my el Camino” and “stranger helped me out when I was thirstiest” particularly. Brings imagery of when you are first setting out on your own and there are just so many things you don’t know.

Even the shouty Suffering , and I Need Peace off of the first Catholics album gets me there sometimes.
Hearing Black Francis tear into Threshold Apprehension hit me just right the first time I heard that driving home from yet another day at work in commute traffic. Beautiful release saying (to me anyway) shake things up if you’re feeling dead damnit! Cant’ Break a Heart and Have It as well. Whew!

After you’ve heard these songs many times maybe they don’t affect you as strongly every time you hear them of course, but if it’s been awhile and you come back to them..

Definitely one of the main reasons I have always dug the man’s music is the range of expressiveness he brings to the table. I can relate to his particular voice and approach.
Carl Posted - 12/30/2016 : 22:39:55
quote:
Originally posted by Carl
It hasn't make me literally cry, but Don't Cry That Way is quite a moving song.

I think that has since actually made me cry, during a particularly bad patch...
sdon Posted - 12/29/2016 : 21:07:56
All Around The World
Sing For Joy
Selkie's Bride
Fort Wayne

Those are for me the most emotional FBF songs
Strangely, a Pixies song never made me cry, not the proper vibe

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 12/29/2016 : 12:31:49
Speedy Marie. Valentine and Garuda. San Antonio, Texas. Fields of Marigold. Dog in the Sand (the song) and sometimes Motorway to Roswell...
Stevio10 Posted - 12/29/2016 : 11:21:27
Southbound Bevy.
johnnyribcage Posted - 03/02/2010 : 17:11:29
Build High always gets me choked up.

I'll mash your perfect parts.
gotmeamovie Posted - 03/02/2010 : 12:42:15
adda lee

god i miss the person that it reminds me of :(

"I could take a walk and really wonder, really wonder"
Jose Jones Posted - 11/21/2009 : 17:00:58
never stop posting that picture.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
floop Posted - 11/21/2009 : 13:32:23
Carl Posted - 11/21/2009 : 13:14:26
It hasn't make me literally cry, but Don't Cry That Way is quite a moving song.
langdonboom Posted - 11/21/2009 : 11:26:52
I'll add that many of these mentioned, in the right mood, have made me cry.

Specifically Man of Steel, California Bound, and Sing For Joy. So beautiful. Though tons of his other songs have that welling-up feeling in them either from joy, or sadness, or even the joy of sadness in a clean way.... great thread, thanks.
hammerhands Posted - 11/03/2009 : 22:58:53
Very appropriate signature!
freedom rocker Posted - 11/03/2009 : 14:06:52
I think it's all agreed that "sing for joy" stands out among the catalogue as being special. Frank is not one for the melowdrama, so the fact that this song affects the way it does is odd.

the blues isn't an art-form, it's a product-- not unlike computer chips and tampons.
--dead milkmen
billgoodman Posted - 11/03/2009 : 11:36:34
Fitzgerald and Announcement for me.
And don't even know if I like Fitzgerald as a song, but the way he says 'Ohh Fitzy' seems so honest. Just that line shows what kind of real songwriter he is.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
houstonguthrie Posted - 11/03/2009 : 06:33:07
I started to well up a little the first time I heard his quasi rap on "Seuss" -
gotmeamovie Posted - 11/02/2009 : 15:20:18
Dont know how you went so far &
I will run after you

bld is a great album

"If all you've seen, is violence!"
hammerhands Posted - 11/02/2009 : 09:51:41
Don't Cry That Way is the type of song that
would get to me. Unhappy and dead children,
like The Cat's in the Cradle or Letter to Heaven.

The absurd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX8NDBxvq_k
gyaneshwar Posted - 11/02/2009 : 08:39:02
I don't believe I've cried listening to FBF, but Calistan gets to me for some reason. Somewhere around the "I saw the old man / he was doing OK" part.
ruzom Posted - 10/30/2009 : 16:34:49
Very recently for the first time since ages, She's My Way. Every time I listened to the song. Currently I'm thinking it's probably my favorite for some weird reason, it might stop later... In the past, maybe once or twice at worst Chip Away Boy too.

There might be other ones but I can't remember precisely now... anyway I think She's My Way really has something, maybe the strings, just the singing... everything, probably.
danjersey Posted - 10/30/2009 : 11:23:35
quote:
Originally posted by floop

i cried the first time i listened to Honeycomb all the way through

great! now you've made Jon Tiven cry
floop Posted - 10/30/2009 : 09:26:35
hehehh
trobrianders Posted - 10/30/2009 : 08:59:26
Robert Onion makes me cry

floop Posted - 10/30/2009 : 07:20:36
i cried the first time i listened to Honeycomb all the way through
Daisy Girl Posted - 10/29/2009 : 13:03:39
Yeah, Jose, Song of the Shrimp gets me too. Coastline, My Life is In Storage also gets me as well.
coastline Posted - 10/29/2009 : 09:18:44
The most emotional songs for me are My Life Is In Storage, I'll Be Blue, and Fitzgerald. The first two because he exposes himself so nakedly and the latter because he paints such a fine picture of a good but broken man.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Jose Jones Posted - 10/29/2009 : 08:19:40
come to think of it, i did get pretty choked up at the last solo show in milwaukee when he played Song of the Shrimp. sounds silly, but take away the novelty factor and all the other aspects just broke my heart.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
fbc Posted - 10/29/2009 : 02:45:12
I just get shivers. That electric feeling up the back of my neck.
trobrianders Posted - 10/29/2009 : 00:08:24
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

I don't know what it is about California Bound but it touches my heart just like people mentioned Sing for Joy.

Me too Daisy. California Bound really is a lesson in humility for me. Charles even manages to summon up compassion for a religious fanatic, something I ordinarily find almost impossible to do.

ClassicalRey Posted - 10/28/2009 : 19:30:06
A couple days after hearing Frank play That Burnt Out Rock n' Roll, I tried playing it on my guitar, and I got way dooowwwn.
It felt most strongly in my shoulders and chest.
I couldn't listen to that song anymore for a couple months.
I couldn't listen to Frank Black for a couple weeks.
Daisy Girl Posted - 10/28/2009 : 17:09:27
I don't know what it is about California Bound but it touches my heart just like people mentioned Sing for Joy.
TRANSMARINE Posted - 10/28/2009 : 13:58:44
"Can't feel nooooooo stairs..." from MAN OF STEEL gets me very sad...and Lyle's ghostly guitar wisping through that song like a devastated vapor...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
trobrianders Posted - 10/28/2009 : 10:50:54
St Francis Dam Disaster makes me well up. Charles' humanism really comes through in it and its unwillingness to go sentimental but stay essentially a journalistic piece makes it all the more emotionally powerful.

The line 'How many? No one really knows' is deeply affecting, gets me every time. But then so too is the last line recognising the water's longing for freedom. Genius writing and the noblest of hearts. Of course tears come.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000