-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 bunions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
floop Posted - 10/24/2007 : 21:20:05
anyone here have bunions?

i think i'm getting one on my right foot, but i'm not sure

i would like 10 people to, in 4 or more paragraphs, describe their feeligns on bunions
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fumanbru Posted - 04/11/2009 : 15:11:20
whatever happened with this?

on a related note i wonder how floop is doing? i recently started watching "entourage" and am really enjoying it. it made me think of floop cause he works in the industry. i wonder if floop is like the wilt chamberlain of the franblack.net forum?

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
floop Posted - 10/28/2007 : 10:06:50
i think it was a combination of being drunk and seeing this earlier in the day

http://www.empireonline.com/features/londonfilmfestival2007/Post.asp?id=57
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 10/28/2007 : 03:05:43
Where the fuck did this come from floop?

"Dr Foot, you talk a lot about how bunions appear due to biomechanical causes, but is it also true that sometimes they can form due to biochemical reaons? relating to psychological (and spiritual) makeup?

my friend's mom is a spiritual advisor (and a pet therapist) and she talks a lot about the healing powers of transcendental meditation (not just for humans, but for cats and dogs too). do you have any experience with this?"

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
floop Posted - 10/27/2007 : 13:13:46
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

This place is great, I've even found myself giving out serious advice on there now. I'm moving on from bunions.

god help us
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 10/27/2007 : 03:33:39
This place is great, I've even found myself giving out serious advice on there now. I'm moving on from bunions.

mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 10/26/2007 : 19:41:52
"Homers_pet_bunion" is cracking me up.

Every thought a ricochet...
coastline Posted - 10/26/2007 : 12:07:19
The bunion forum is the perfect place for forumites who need their fix when Dean pulls down this site next week to move to the new server. What's more, you can't post links on that forum, as far as I can tell. It shouldn't take anyone long to figure out the advantage to that.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
coastline Posted - 10/26/2007 : 11:44:29
Seeing this thread is pretty much the highlight of my week:

http://www.drfoot.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2744&sid=d04e7198e68c7e1284ee3d5ccb16eb51

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 10/26/2007 : 09:36:17
quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

so did i.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.

Me too. Funny shit.

VoVat Posted - 10/25/2007 : 16:26:15
Hey, at least I didn't say anything about "The Pilgrim's Progress."

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
coastline Posted - 10/25/2007 : 14:47:02
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

Does this have anything to do with that giant who hung around with the blue ox?

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."

That was a-Paul-ing, VoVat.

PixieSteve Posted - 10/25/2007 : 13:26:18
i made a film

I like to complain
VoVat Posted - 10/25/2007 : 13:21:23
Does this have anything to do with that giant who hung around with the blue ox?

floop Posted - 10/24/2007 : 22:33:01
bunion forum is the best
shineoftheever Posted - 10/24/2007 : 22:31:52
so did i.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
PixieSteve Posted - 10/24/2007 : 22:30:47
i joined and replied (DrBunion)

I like to complain
The King Of Karaoke Posted - 10/24/2007 : 22:22:46
I joined six months ago and they banned me for starting pertinent discussions in the "GENERAL CHAT" section.

--------------------------
floop Posted - 10/24/2007 : 22:18:37
i joined
PixieSteve Posted - 10/24/2007 : 22:07:00
after you

I like to complain
floop Posted - 10/24/2007 : 22:01:44
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

isn't there another forum you can post in?

I like to complain

we should all sign up on that forum and start some discussions.

seriously
The King Of Karaoke Posted - 10/24/2007 : 21:31:04
I just sent that to my entire address book.

They hate me too.

PixieSteve Posted - 10/24/2007 : 21:29:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZMbIeogYYk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=200c2UNo9hs

I like to complain
The King Of Karaoke Posted - 10/24/2007 : 21:29:36
Don't fuck with my stinging wit, I have a buzz on.

floop Posted - 10/24/2007 : 21:28:20
Bunions

What is a Bunion?
What Causes a Bunion?
Symptoms
Diagnosis
Treatment
When is Surgery Needed?

Even though bunions are a common foot deformity, there are misconceptions about them. Many people may unnecessarily suffer the pain of bunions for years before seeking treatment.

What is a Bunion?
Bunions are often described as a bump on the side of the big toe. But a bunion is more than that. The visible bump actually reflects changes in the bony framework of the front part of the foot. With a bunion, the big toe leans toward the second toe, rather than pointing straight ahead. This throws the bones out of alignment, producing the bunion's "bump."

Bunions are a progressive disorder. They begin with a leaning of the big toe, gradually changing the angle of the bones over the years and slowly producing the characteristic bump, which continues to become increasingly prominent. Usually the symptoms of bunions appear at later stages, although some people never have symptoms.

What Causes a Bunion?
Bunions are most often caused by an inherited faulty mechanical structure of the foot. It is not the bunion itself that is inherited, but certain foot types that make a person prone to developing a bunion.

Although wearing shoes that crowd the toes won't actually cause bunions in the first place, it sometimes makes the deformity get progressively worse. That means you may
experience symptoms sooner.

Symptoms
Symptoms occur most often when wearing shoes that crowd the toes—shoes with a tight toe box or high heels. This may explain why women are more likely to have symptoms than men. In addition, spending long periods of time on your feet can aggravate the symptoms of bunions.

Symptoms, which occur at the site of the bunion, may include:

Pain or soreness
Inflammation and redness
A burning sensation
Perhaps some numbness
Other conditions which may appear with bunions include calluses on the big toe, sores between the toes, ingrown toenail, and restricted motion of the toe.

Diagnosis
Bunions are readily apparent--you can see the prominence at the base of the big toe or side of the foot. However, to fully evaluate your condition, the foot and ankle surgeon may take x-rays to determine the degree of the deformity and assess the changes that have occurred.

Because bunions are progressive, they don't go away, and will usually get worse over time. But not all cases are alike--some bunions progress more rapidly than others. Once your foot and ankle surgeon has evaluated your particular case, a treatment plan can be developed that is suited to your needs.

Treatment
Sometimes observation of the bunion is all that's needed. A periodic office evaluation and x-ray examination can determine if your bunion deformity is advancing, thereby reducing your chance of irreversible damage to the joint. In many other cases, however, some type of treatment is needed.

Early treatments are aimed at easing the pain of bunions, but they won't reverse the deformity itself.
These options include:

Changes in shoewear. Wearing the right kind of shoes is very important. Choose shoes that have a wide toe box and forgo those with pointed toes or high heels which may aggravate the condition.
Padding. Pads placed over the area of the bunion can help minimize pain. You can get bunion pads from your foot and ankle surgeon or purchase them at a drug store.
Activity modifications. Avoid activity that causes bunion pain, including standing for long periods of time.
Medications. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, may help to relieve pain.
Icing. Applying an ice pack several times a day helps reduce inflammation and pain.
Injection therapy. Although rarely used in bunion treatment, injections of corticosteroids may be useful in treating the inflamed bursa (fluid-filled sac located in a joint) sometimes seen with bunions.
Orthotic devices. In some cases, custom orthotic devices may be provided by the foot and ankle surgeon.
When is Surgery Needed?
When the pain of a bunion interferes with daily activities, it's time to discuss surgical options with your foot and ankle surgeon. Together you can decide if surgery is best for you.

Recent advances in surgical techniques have led to a very high success rate in treating bunions.

A variety of surgical procedures are performed to treat bunions. The procedures are designed to remove the "bump" of bone, correct the changes in the bony structure of the foot, as well as correct soft tissue changes that may also have occurred. The goal of these corrections is the elimination of pain.

In selecting the procedure or combination of procedures for your particular case, the podiatric surgeon will take into consideration the extent of your deformity based on the x-ray findings, your age, your activity level, and other factors. The length of the recovery period will vary, depending on the procedure or procedures performed.
The King Of Karaoke Posted - 10/24/2007 : 21:27:56
Your bunions are on a forum somewhere complaining about being attached to such an impotent puss.

floop Posted - 10/24/2007 : 21:24:35
Bunion

resources
ICD-10 M20.1
ICD-9 727.1
DiseasesDB 5604
eMedicine orthoped/467
A bunion (hallux valgus) is a sometimes painful structural deformity of the bones and the joint between the foot and big toe.
A bunion is an enlargement of bone or tissue around the joint at the base of the big toe (metatarsophalangeal joint). The big toe may turn in toward the second toe (displacement), and the tissues surrounding the joint may be swollen and tender.
Today the term usually is used to refer to the pathological bump on the side of the great toe joint. The bump is the swollen bursal sac and/or an osseous (bony) deformity that has grown on the mesophalangeal joint (where the first metatarsal bone and hallux meet).
Contents
[hide]
1 Medical terms
2 Symptoms
3 Bunion formation/development
4 Treatment
4.1 Surgery
4.2 Orthotics: bunion cushions, splints, regulators
5 See also
[edit]Medical terms

The term "hallux valgus" or "hallux abducto valgus" are the most commonly-used medical terms associated with a bunion deformity, where "hallux" refers to the great toe, "valgus" refers to the abnormal rotation of the great toe commonly associated with bunion deformities, and "abducto" refers to the abnormal drifting or inward leaning of the great toe towards the second toe, which is also commonly associated with bunion disorders.
[edit]Symptoms

The symptoms of bunions include swelling of the metatarsophalangeal joint, irritated skin around the bunion, joint redness and pain, and possible shift of the big toe toward the other toes.
[edit]Bunion formation/development

Bunions are caused by a biomechanical abnormality, where certain tendons, ligaments, and supportive structures of the first metatarsal are no longer functioning correctly. This biomechanical abnormality may be caused by a variety of conditions intrinsic to the structure of the foot--such as flat feet, excessive ligamentous flexibility, abnormal bone structure, and certain neurological conditions. These factors are often considered genetic.
Bunions are commonly associated with a deviated position of the big toe toward the second toe; and the deviation in the angle between the first and second metatarsal bones of the foot. The small sesamoid bones found beneath the first metatarsal (which help the flexor tendon bend the big toe downwards) may also become deviated over time as the first metatarsal bone drifts away from its normal position.
Arthritis of the great toe joint, diminished and/or altered range of motion, and discomfort with pressure applied to the bump or with motion of the joint, may all accompany bunion development.
Although wearing shoes that crowd the toes does not cause bunions to form, it sometimes makes the existing deformity progressively worsen and symptoms may arise sooner. [1]
[edit]Treatment

Bunions may be treated conservatively with changes in shoe gear, different orthotics (accommodative padding and shielding), rest, ice, and medications. These sorts of treatments address symptoms more than they correct the actual deformity. Surgery may be necessary if discomfort is severe enough or when correction of the deformity is desired.
[edit]Surgery
Procedures are designed and chosen to correct a variety of pathologies that may be associated with the bunion deformity. For instance, procedures may address some combination of:
removing the abnormal bony enlargement of the first metatarsal,
realigning the first metatarsal bone relative to the adjacent metatarsal bone,
straightening the great toe relative to the first metatarsal and adjacent toes,
realigning the cartilagenous surfaces of the great toe joint,
addressing arthritic changes associated with the great toe joint,
repositioning the sesamoid bones beneath the first metatarsal bone,
shortening, lengthening, raising, or lowering the first metatarsal bone, and
correcting any abnormal bowing or misalignment within the great toe.
The age, health, lifestyle, and activity level of the patient may also play a role in the choice of procedure.
Bunion surgery can be performed under local, spinal, or general anesthetic. The trend has moved strongly towards using the less invasive local anesthesia over the years. A patient can expect a 6- to 8-week recovery period during which crutches are usually required for aid in mobility. It is much less common today as newer, more stable procedures and better forms of fixation (stabilizing the bone with screws and other hardware) are used.
[edit]Orthotics: bunion cushions, splints, regulators
Other measures include various footwear like gelled toe spacers, bunion / toes separators, bunion regulators, bunion splints, and bunion cushions
PixieSteve Posted - 10/24/2007 : 21:22:54
isn't there another forum you can post in?

I like to complain

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000