-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 Ingore user function

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Llamadance Posted - 10/15/2007 : 12:18:15
Mods, please could we have something like this? So if there is a forum member (or more) where we don't like to read their posts then we have the option to block them, leaving us the option to display it if we want.

I can't tell you how much this would improve the forum at the moment.

Easy Easy Easy!! MicknPhil Marathon Lads Sign this petition
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
shineoftheever Posted - 10/24/2007 : 19:04:08
yeah i want an ingore funtion.

hooray fro spelling mistakes! ;)

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Carl Posted - 10/21/2007 : 12:28:15
How about an ignore KOK funtion?

"In six months, she'll look like Grandma Moses!"
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 10/21/2007 : 04:24:50
It's around now it would be really useful to have your ignore user function.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Llamadance Posted - 10/20/2007 : 11:04:05
and yet....

quote:
nit
The egg or young of a parasitic insect, such as a louse.

That is, I thought the term nitpicking came from picking nits, which, louse being very small and their eggs being even smaller, well, you get the idea. Now I was suprised to find the etymology of nitwit on dictionary.com makes no reference to nits as in louse eggs but instead attributes it to the German word for nothin, nit or niht. The story is the same for nitpicking, which is apprently about picking 'nothing'. I find that less than satisfactory and wonder if there is some connection between the German word for nothing and louse eggs.

http://bitworking.org/news/The_Etymology_of_Nitwit

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 10/20/2007 : 10:08:32
Darwin is right, and it's a relatively recent term too.

"As nitpicking inherently requires fastidious, meticulous attention to detail, the term has become appropriated to describe the practice of meticulously searching for minor, even trivial errors in detail (often referred to as "nits" as well), and then criticising them. "Nitpicker" in this sense was often used after 1951, predominantly in the United States

darwin Posted - 10/20/2007 : 09:14:09
Actually, I think I'm right, but if you have any proof of your boldly stated contention I would be happy to read it.
kathryn Posted - 10/20/2007 : 04:10:47
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Did you know that the term nitpicking comes from the act of picking nits (head lice) from someone's head? I didn't, but everyone I tell it to acts like it's obvious.

{please choose to ignore this if you wish}

Actually it's from the German word for nothing "nicht," a variation of which is "nit." But your version sounds more plausible so you should continue using it. You sound knowledgeable saying that.

Happy hearts fall from my shaking hands

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 10/20/2007 : 02:19:17
Well they do say that only the first and last letters have to be in the correct place in order for the brain to understand the text.

Llamadance Posted - 10/19/2007 : 13:46:34
bastard edit function not working. Actually, I can't believe that not only did I do that, but I didn't notice till 30 minutes ago.

coastline Posted - 10/19/2007 : 13:30:31
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve
[bri wouldn't normally treat an ignore user function as a serious political issue

It's ingore, not ignore. Read the thread title.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Carolynanna Posted - 10/19/2007 : 13:18:44
Yeah, aaaggesss.

Llamadance Posted - 10/19/2007 : 13:04:02
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Sadly no, but it's quite easy to slightly angle your eyes downward to the next post. Of course if it's a reply to the previous one, you're still damned. :)

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."

some posts you have to scroll down for aaaggesss.:)

PixieSteve Posted - 10/19/2007 : 12:51:51
quote:
Originally posted by Erebus

quote:

darwin: nitpicking.

to all you conservatives who think an ignore user function is just a rationalist concept that wouldn't work: it's a feature on several other forums and many people make use of it.

"conservatives"? As if liberals want to design and inhabit an echo chamber? Oh wait, maybe they do, especially considering their white-knuckled grip on public education and broadcast.

conservatism and liberalism as polar opposites is something that only really exists in america. it's a result of the confusion over what the ideologies really are. i'm not saying there aren't political conflicts, but they tend to use the wrong labels.

conservatism is an ideology which rejects rationalism and values tradition/experience. hume presents a good philosophical defence of conservatism (i know you have an interest in philosophy).

to clarify, i wasn't attacking conservatism. i was showing a conservative that an ignore user function is not the kind of leap of faith in reason that they would usually reject, but a reality with which i have never heard any problems.

a conservative might argue that we can only consider the history and tradition of this particular community. however, i don't think we can ignore the fact that fb.net is part of a much wider internet community.

p.s. i'm just having fun with some stuff i learn on a politics course... i wouldn't normally treat an ignore user function as a serious political issue ;)

I like to complain
Erebus Posted - 10/19/2007 : 11:56:40
quote:

I don't think Steve meant conservative in a political way, but conservative as in high inertia towards change.

I think you're correct.

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 10/19/2007 : 11:12:14
I'm actually quite the opposite, I was just kidding.

That said, to make it more interesting, it would be better to include a feature where you are emailed notification of anyone who chooses to ignore you.

darwin Posted - 10/19/2007 : 11:06:05
I don't think Steve meant conservative in a political way, but conservative as in high inertia towards change.
Erebus Posted - 10/19/2007 : 10:51:17
quote:

to all you conservatives who think an ignore user function is just a rationalist concept that wouldn't work: it's a feature on several other forums and many people make use of it.

"conservatives"? As if liberals want to design and inhabit an echo chamber? Oh wait, maybe they do, especially considering their white-knuckled grip on public education and broadcast.

On topic, though I'm loath to stand contrary to Llama, I don't like ignore buttons, because they might save me the trouble of thinking.

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 10/19/2007 : 10:28:00
quote:

I like to complain

That doesn't mean it makes them a better place.

I say let's keep on pouring cold water over the idea until it goes away.

speedy_m Posted - 10/19/2007 : 09:55:21
I'm neither for nor against sucha a functino, but honestly, how difficult is it to not read someone's post?

www.myspace.com/wewereloversmusic
darwin Posted - 10/19/2007 : 09:53:44
Did you know that the term nitpicking comes from the act of picking nits (head lice) from someone's head? I didn't, but everyone I tell it to acts like it's obvious.

{please choose to ignore this if you wish}
PixieSteve Posted - 10/19/2007 : 09:32:43

I like to complain
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 10/19/2007 : 04:56:50
quote:

In what way did it sound ironic?

In an Alanis Morrisette kind of way.

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 10/19/2007 : 00:46:38
Sadly no, but it's quite easy to slightly angle your eyes downward to the next post. Of course if it's a reply to the previous one, you're still damned. :)

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 10/18/2007 : 13:20:20
ohhhhhhhh. i guess it's not very ironic anymore then.

Every thought a ricochet...
darwin Posted - 10/18/2007 : 13:18:02
Sorry, my "pseudo-analysis" posting wasn't in response to you. I wrote it while you wrote your's. I was responding to myself or maybe to your "maybe biscuit?" posting.

Pseudo-analysis or mock thinking being people who focus on the exceptions rather than the main effects.
mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 10/18/2007 : 13:13:29
well i was talking about you pointing out flaws in my posts and then you responded telling me there was a word for that, thus pointing out a flaw in my post. get it? it made sense before you put up the second part.

darwin Posted - 10/18/2007 : 13:10:06
In what way did it sound ironic?
mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 10/18/2007 : 13:08:45
it sounded kind of ironic to me.

darwin Posted - 10/18/2007 : 13:05:27
How about pseudo-analysis? Or mock thinking?

{it wasn't only in response to you or even just this thread}
mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 10/18/2007 : 13:04:57
There needs to be a quick term for when someone tries to find a flaw in everything i say and feels compelled to comment on it. oh wait.

mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 10/18/2007 : 12:59:12
how about 'biscuit'?

darwin Posted - 10/18/2007 : 12:50:36
There needs to be a quick term for when people focus on the exceptions or minor complications instead of thinking about the other 95% of the time.
mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 10/18/2007 : 12:38:37
and what about quoting? if someone you didn't block quotes someone you did, you still have to read it. well i guess you could just skip over it but...

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 10/18/2007 : 05:55:05
But the rest of the posts won't make sense then will they? Or at least some of them won't.

Carl Posted - 10/15/2007 : 18:48:37
There should be an Ignorant User Function.

"In six months, she'll look like Grandma Moses!"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000