-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 Baseball

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
coastline Posted - 09/19/2007 : 13:31:15
(I can't believe this forum doesn't already have a general baseball thread.)

If the Mets continue their collapse and don't make the playoffs, and the Yankees overtake the Red Sox for the division title, I'm going to be awfully pissed. Brian, is it going to happen?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
coastline Posted - 04/19/2012 : 14:47:33
How 'bout that Jamie Moyer? Seems like he could pitch forever.

My latest penning for my newspaper: http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_20426570/editorial-jamie-moyer-classic-victory-by-classy-player
hammerhands Posted - 04/04/2012 : 23:30:36
Hockey's over, baseball starts in about a month and a half, here.

"He smells like kitty-cats and hope!" [I just have to get the video of that to drop in forums.]

The Blue Jays fans seem to think this could be a good year.
darwin Posted - 04/04/2012 : 17:11:47
Happy Opening Day (or what is left of it after MLB has ruined the meaning of it)
coastline Posted - 04/03/2012 : 11:47:19
A nice piece on the sounds of baseball from Minnesota Public Radio: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2012/04/02/a-baseball-hymn--an-essay-by-bill-morelock/

Happy baseball.
darwin Posted - 04/18/2011 : 09:37:34
quote:
Darwin, did you know the Cubs have a guy named Darwin Barney?

I didn't. Thanks for pointing that out.
Superabounder Posted - 04/15/2011 : 19:11:37
Wow great articles Coastline! Just saw both of these. Galaraga article especially touching. What a class move that was when he smiled.

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
coastline Posted - 04/15/2011 : 15:28:06
Happy baseball season, y'all. For any Rockies fans -- or other baseball traditionalists -- I wrote this piece in The Denver Post a couple weeks ago: http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_17746380

Darwin, did you know the Cubs have a guy named Darwin Barney?
coastline Posted - 06/23/2010 : 18:11:16
I was reacting to the Sox wrecking Ubaldo's ERA.

Great to see Giambi come through, though ... Even if he's an AL guy.
darwin Posted - 06/23/2010 : 17:11:16
You hate the American League. (or maybe not)
coastline Posted - 06/23/2010 : 16:42:55
I hate the Red Sox.
fumanbru Posted - 06/10/2010 : 02:45:32
i just read it. great editorial!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
houstonguthrie Posted - 06/04/2010 : 04:38:27
you the man Coasty!!

quote:
Originally posted by coastline

An editorial in today's Denver Post, written by yours truly: http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_15222980

coastline Posted - 06/04/2010 : 02:48:30
An editorial in today's Denver Post, written by yours truly: http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_15222980
coastline Posted - 06/03/2010 : 16:08:45
quote:
Originally posted by darwin
It's not fair, but Haddix not getting credit for his 12 innings of perfect pitching also isn't fair.

Same with Pedro's nine innings -- when his own team failed to score and then he lost the perfect game in the 10th.

But life's not fair.
darwin Posted - 06/03/2010 : 05:37:07
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Tough day for the great game of baseball. Griffey retired, and then an umpire blew the call on the last out of what would have been a perfect game.

Griffey is exactly one year younger than me, so when I was a kid I thought when Griffey retires, "I'll be old". I'm old.

That blown call is instant legendary material. I feel bad for the pitcher (and the ump), but I guess I feel it should just stand the way it is. It's not fair, but Haddix not getting credit for his 12 innings of perfect pitching also isn't fair.
Thomas Posted - 06/03/2010 : 02:18:03
I don't know how the protest rules of baseball works or if a judgement call by an umpire can be protested, but it's to bad Leyland didn't protest the call and have his team walk off the field. Sure that could be considered a forfeit, but with a perfect game on the line I'd leave that up to the American League President or the Commissioner. Just don't pitch to a 28th batter.

That was Joyce's second blown call at first base in two innings. In the bottom of the 8th Damon was clearly out at first base also. Take away that and who knows how this could have played out.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
coastline Posted - 06/02/2010 : 17:27:31
Tough day for the great game of baseball. Griffey retired, and then an umpire blew the call on the last out of what would have been a perfect game.
Superabounder Posted - 05/08/2010 : 13:14:28
Went to an awesome rangers game last night...complete game by a rangers' pitcher (wth??), fantastic defensive play at short-stop by the rangers that made the Sportscenter top 10 (wth??), and beautiful night for baseball. Plus a fireworks show that was amazing after the game. I go to about 5 games a year, and mostly with free tickets.

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
coastline Posted - 05/07/2010 : 18:23:06
I get to 5 or 6 Rockies games a year. It used to be more, when I first came to Denver. It's so expensive, though, especially for a family of four. I'd likely go to more games if I were in a minor-league town.
darwin Posted - 05/07/2010 : 07:29:55
quote:
Originally posted by houstonguthrie

pardon me if this has already been discussed ad nauseum previously -

I was just curious - about how many games do you guys go to every year? How many games do you think a "good fan" goes to each year.

Rays - like a whole lot of teams - are having attendance issues, which is a major drag. Our fan base is not all it could or should be for one - plus the economy and all. And sometimes when they're in town and I'm not doing anything but I decide to stay home and watch it on t.v. - I almost feel guilty!! But geez how many games can you go to?

I think it really depends how close you live to a team. My favorite team is over 1,000 miles away (Boston) and the nearest MLB team is about 4 hours away (Dallas), so I don't get to many MLB games. But, I probably watch about 140 Red Sox games (or parts of them) on TV (or my computer) during the summer and I go to maybe 3 or 4 minor league or college games (a whole bunch of kid games).
houstonguthrie Posted - 05/07/2010 : 04:45:38
pardon me if this has already been discussed ad nauseum previously -

I was just curious - about how many games do you guys go to every year? How many games do you think a "good fan" goes to each year.

Rays - like a whole lot of teams - are having attendance issues, which is a major drag. Our fan base is not all it could or should be for one - plus the economy and all. And sometimes when they're in town and I'm not doing anything but I decide to stay home and watch it on t.v. - I almost feel guilty!! But geez how many games can you go to?
houstonguthrie Posted - 05/07/2010 : 04:25:10
Rays are 21-7 overall and 12-1 on the road. I had a feeling about this year. Everything in life is just a little bit brighter when your team is playing well - ain't it grand? love those Rays!!
darwin Posted - 05/06/2010 : 08:02:20
quote:
Originally posted by treetime

PGE park of Portland Oregon opened in 1926. It has been the home of the Portland Beavers, a triple A baseball team, since the 1950's. This year marks the last year the park will be used as a baseball stadium. It will be the new home of major league soccer in Portland. Portland's minor league baseball team has yet to find a new home. PGE, you will be missed.

Hey, I've been to that stadium. Saw Portland play Las Vegas, I think. It was pretty cool. Great location, but a weird cavernous feel to it. I have a hard time picturing an MLS game in there.
gyaneshwar Posted - 05/06/2010 : 05:09:07
I can't believe the Rockies brought my Padres' streak of winning series to an end last night. Damn you, Colorado.
treetime Posted - 05/06/2010 : 00:24:49
PGE park of Portland Oregon opened in 1926. It has been the home of the Portland Beavers, a triple A baseball team, since the 1950's. This year marks the last year the park will be used as a baseball stadium. It will be the new home of major league soccer in Portland. Portland's minor league baseball team has yet to find a new home. PGE, you will be missed.
darwin Posted - 04/20/2010 : 09:57:25
Right now nobody needs to root against the Sox. They can lose all on their own. Sorry bastards.
coastline Posted - 04/20/2010 : 09:04:54
I was there in spirit, rooting against darwin's Red Sox.
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/19/2010 : 13:50:25
Hey coastline, I wish you could have been there too. It was fun but it would have been more fun if you were there too.
darwin Posted - 04/19/2010 : 07:21:16
Didn't realize he's a side-armer.
coastline Posted - 04/19/2010 : 06:53:11
Ubaldo the Redeemer

coastline Posted - 04/13/2010 : 09:27:39
Nice! Have fun. I can't think of a much better way to spend an afternoon than taking in a ballgame. Wish I could join you.
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/12/2010 : 17:29:23
Hey Cohen, it does look so good.

It looks so good that you triggered a great thought in me. I was watching the news which of course was all about the new stadium. I read your post and then the weather came on that it's supposed to be in the 70's Thursday, so I am going to skip out of work on that day and see the game that afternoon.

Yipee! Thanks for getting me thinking in that direction Cohen.
coastline Posted - 04/12/2010 : 16:17:17
Target Field looks great. Were you there today, Daisy?
treetime Posted - 04/09/2010 : 23:25:27
Hopefully Blanks doesn't read this, he might go on a tirade like Big Papi.
coastline Posted - 04/09/2010 : 13:07:28
Looks like he's having a rough start -- hitting .071.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000