-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 Art Brut

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
toeknee Posted - 09/13/2007 : 17:42:03
Anyone else into these guys? I got Bang Bang Rock and Roll and at first thought it was ok, nothing major, but then I got a real urge to listen to it and quickly got hooked. They released an album this year, It's A Bit Complicated, which relies slightly more on riffs than clever lyrics but still kicks ass. 'I Will Survive' isn't the best place to start, but it's been in my head for ages.

Oh, and I remember hearing that Frank liked them, but that might have been a dream. I have a lot of dreams...
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pot Posted - 11/24/2018 : 12:29:35
The album is out!

And quite underwhelming I think? I can't help but wonder if the song Wham! Bang! Pow! Let's rock out was inspired by me? What a completely rubbish song and album titles. It's like when you have a dream about seeing a band love or a new album and that's what it's called in your dream. EXACTLY what you would expect, too real. Why would it be about me, even partially. Because I got pissed with Eddie Argos in the Citrus Club in Edinburgh 3 years ago and danced to Pulp with him and his friends who I assume saw this as an ideal moment to make an exit on to the dance floor away from my overly gregarious drunken behaviour which was starting to border on stalking. Back in the old days when I used to go to discos more often, and pretending to be Jarvis Cocker when Pulp came on was a thing. There's a certain pow! to those hand gestures. Anyway, I apologised to him the next day for being slightly drunk and annoying, just like in the song Alcoholics Anonymous. I only went to see him and his guitarist Cat Stiltskin play an acoustic set at the book fair, next thing you know I'm giving Eddie Argos a free whisky sample from the tokens I inherited from this guy who was leaving and he asks me if I'm going to the disco. How could I resist? I had previously talked to Mr Argos about interviewing him for the new band/album in late 2014 in the aftermath of the Scottish Independence referendum result and people were grassrooting new media projects, some of who where charlatans offering great promise. I fucked up and didn't know Cat Stiltskin was a founding member, I asked: is he one of your new band members? lol how the fuck am I supposed to know who they all are? In the old line up they all looked characteristically different, but in the first press photo of the new line up they all look like Cat Stiltskin because they had the same haircut. Easy mistake to make.

Anyway. That happened and so in my mind I'm deriving something about the new Argos lyrics from my own experience meeting him, which is undoubtebly cool however you look at it.

The new album is not really doing it for me. Maybe it's the production? First album since the last two were produced by Francis at Jason Carter studios. It's got more of a britpop feel to it. I think I'd say the most obvious thing they've lost from previous productions is the heavy rock sound. It's a different band as well, I think they lost a good drummer and guitarist.

Who knows maybe I'll really like this album after several other listens.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3LYVq2ARiV2gMvBhDfYn7A

pot Posted - 08/11/2018 : 12:43:39
New Art Brut track out:

Wham! Bang! Pow! Let's Rock Out!

https://pitchfork.com/news/art-brut-announce-first-new-album-in-7-years-share-song-listen/

Not sure how I feel about it, it's like they've become a parody of themselves now. Nothing particularly new or exciting about this at all. I don't know how the new guy's are going to fit in to the line up, sounds like the loss of Jasper and Mikey might have put a dent in their mojo.

I think I might have been at the last live gig they played together with that line-up at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2013 as well.

It's also (as far as I am aware) the first music they've released that hasn't been produced by FBF since three albums ago.
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 09/15/2007 : 10:03:50
The first album is pretty good, but I haven't heard the second one.

Emily Kane is a brilliant song.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
toeknee Posted - 09/14/2007 : 16:53:25
quote:
Originally posted by misleadtheworld

I used to have a real 'thing' against Art Brut, mainly their draw from The Fall.

BUT, I saw them a few months ago in my town and drunkenly accosted the singer (Eddie Argos) and have since rather liked them. They're brilliant live, and he's a cracking chap with the biggest eyebrows I've seen. I even commented on them (to my detriment).

Sounds like quite a night, care to elaborate?
misleadtheworld Posted - 09/14/2007 : 10:50:33
I used to have a real 'thing' against Art Brut, mainly their draw from The Fall.

BUT, I saw them a few months ago in my town and drunkenly accosted the singer (Eddie Argos) and have since rather liked them. They're brilliant live, and he's a cracking chap with the biggest eyebrows I've seen. I even commented on them (to my detriment).

Czar Posted - 09/13/2007 : 20:58:07
Art Brut are really great, It's a Bit Complicated is stronger, imho. I loooove the thick English accent.

FB/BF did mention them in an interview.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000