-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 Daniel Johnston

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IceCream Posted - 07/14/2007 : 06:48:42
Any fans here? I tend to think "The Sun Shines Down On Me" is a really beautiful song sometimes.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tisasawath Posted - 09/16/2019 : 08:18:58
i saw this on wikipedia today under recent deaths and hoped for a moment before clicking that it was maybe someone else with that name.
rest in peace.
coastline Posted - 09/12/2019 : 09:36:31
May he finally rest in peace.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/arts/music/daniel-johnston-dead.html

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
tisasawath Posted - 09/29/2018 : 14:52:09
good to still see sensible people in the ad business.
coastline Posted - 06/27/2018 : 14:56:50
How nice to hear Daniel Johnston on this new Apple ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0Zy0jP_eU

And thanks, Denis, for turning me on to Daniel. He became one of my favorites because of this thread, which I'd completely forgotten about.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
vilainde Posted - 11/06/2007 : 14:01:54
Awesome! It's a great comp.

Meanwhile my guardian angel sent me The Electric Ghosts, I have to listen to it a couple more times to make my opinion. The version of Frito-Lay is excellent, and Scary Monsters is... well... scary.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
starmekitten Posted - 11/06/2007 : 06:27:06
Denis, because of your enthusiasm I started listening to Daniel Johnston on the hype machine and got a little bit hooked, these songs get in my head. Then I was given Welcome to My World which I loved. So thank you.

I crush freethinking
Idiot.
lonely persuader Posted - 11/06/2007 : 04:38:06
this is excellent
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=IdItsqh-zJ8

His earlier stuff is bloody great, toi....
vilainde Posted - 10/31/2007 : 15:45:37
Yeah, that'd be great if you could grab one for me, jedi.

Lonely: The earlier stuff is waaaaaay more lo-fi, FUN being one of the most produced albums, but the songwriting has never lowered in quality.

Denis

lonely persuader Posted - 10/31/2007 : 11:42:57
I've been listening to Fun. Tis good. Contorted Mind is a great song. Is his earlier stuff better? anyone
jediroller Posted - 10/30/2007 : 14:59:56
Yup, that one. 6,99. I might grab two if you're interested.

Awesome! I fuckin' shot this!
"Les Blackolero, y sont forts en sacramant" - Czar | 06/26/2007 | 20:10:34

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
vilainde Posted - 10/30/2007 : 14:28:20
Haven't heard it (is that the one with the Scary Monsters cover?). But thanks! I'll check out my own local fn$c.

Denis

jediroller Posted - 10/30/2007 : 03:04:30
Hey Denis! My local fn*c has "The Electric Ghosts" on a special right now. Do you recommend that one?

Awesome! I fuckin' shot this!
"Les Blackolero, y sont forts en sacramant" - Czar | 06/26/2007 | 20:10:34

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
sweetpollypurebred Posted - 08/16/2007 : 06:48:57
love that last photo of daniel saluting
Tiny Team Concerts Posted - 08/14/2007 : 16:05:24
Here are some shots from Sunday night's Daniel Johnston show in Savannah.

http://www.geoffsphotos.com/daniel_johnston/

The backing band is called The Lovesick. They chose 10 of Daniel's songs from his complete back catalog and learned them in advance of his arrival, then joined him for the finale of his solo set - with no prior rehearsal together.

Everything went off without a hitch, and the entire show sounded great.

It was a great night, and a packed house. Anyone from these boards make it?

- TTC

p.s. These pics are copyright 2007 by the photographer. Please don't download or distribute them in any way without his written permission.

--
Tiny Team Concerts
"Good music for nice people"
vilainde Posted - 08/13/2007 : 00:43:43
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

daniel johnston, or some crap i recorded?

not much difference in my opinion.

"Idiot" is just her sig.

Not every retard can compose like Daniel, Steve.

Denis

SPEEDYMARIEGONZALES Posted - 08/12/2007 : 07:57:39
pixiesteve
to me your song is cheesy
more suited for a dr. demento

Manuel wants to keep his pet rat.
Manuel: Mrs. Fawlty, please understand. If he go, I go!
Basil Fawlty: Well, goodbye!
billgoodman Posted - 08/11/2007 : 15:29:29
saw the film today, in honor of the Lo-Fi master thesis I'm still working on.
Great movie to say the least
I love his art and some of his songs struck me by lightning.
Don't say he's better than Brian Wilson though!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
PixieSteve Posted - 08/11/2007 : 15:11:22
daniel johnston, or some crap i recorded?

not much difference in my opinion.

"Idiot" is just her sig.
vilainde Posted - 08/11/2007 : 13:53:37
quote:
Originally posted by whoreatthedoor

Does he only know three chords with the guitar? no, seriously.

Who gives a shit? How many chords did the Ramones know?

Denis

The King Of Karaoke Posted - 08/10/2007 : 13:48:19
"The Devil and Daniel Johnston" is amazing. So tragic. I bought five copies at the local video store and then gave them to friends.

On a personal note, that movie really hit a nerve with me because I grew up with my mother going through much of the same things he's gone through. Diagnosed schizophrenic and subsequently being institutionalized is one of the worst things I can imagine anyone ever having to try to live through. It was tough enough just watching it go down as little kid. I would rather die than be institutionalized. It's a living hell. Shock treatments, drugs, the insane enviroment you are forced to live in, halfway house to institution to halfway house, to home, to intitution on and on. The men in white coats taking you away. Literally. Even the dioctors are nuts. Then suddenly being released as "cured" and the subsequent homelessness (Thanks Gipper). Thirty years later my mother is still living in that hell. Her mind is completely burnt. Her memory on current happenings in her day to day life runs on a five minute loop. Ash trays full of cigarettes that have been lit, put down, then frogotten about. "Post it" notes hung EVERYWHERE. And worst of all, she spends her days alone in a dark, smokey, tiny studio apartment in an assisted living complex. That's been for twenty years now.

Well, maybe worse than that is that nobody really wants anything to do with her. Lots of issues in that closet.

Too much info maybe but... I guess that's what forum anonymity allows.

Anyway, I posted one of my youtube videos that featured one of Daniel's songs on his Myspace page and he wrote me a personal message thanking me.

------------------
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
PixieSteve Posted - 08/10/2007 : 12:22:41
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

You may have misunderstood my post, Denis. I recognize there's something there, but I can't put my finger on what it is. I like him, but I don't know why. I keep asking myself: "Am I liking this only because I'm a music snob and I read he's a cult hero from Austin, which makes him strangely cool, or do I really like these songs?" Since my last post, I've done some reading, and I'm starting to see at least *why* this album is such a shitty recording, but I still don't quite get why it wasn't re-recorded once some record producer recognized how good the songs were.

I'm just rambling, trying to figure out my attraction to this guy who, on the surface, does seem a bit repulsive. Like Julia Roberts must have thought when she met Lyle Lovett.

What's interesting is that my kids, who are 5 and 8, are really drawn to him. I had the album on in the car and the house yesterday, and they kept stopping what they were doing because they heard something in a song that intrigued them. "King Kong" was the one that really stopped them. I've always said a song is good if it reaches both adults and children. That's one thing I love about FB -- my kids understand songs like "Horrible Day" or "Headache." Daniel Johnston's directness seems to appeal to my kids, and maybe it's what I like about him too.

There's a perfect explanation for the shit that I've been in. As soon as I find out, I'll let you know.

i don't know this daniel johnston guy, but i'm not surprised icecream is a fan. this is exactly how i feel about his cover of letter to memphis. so many things wrong with it, yet i am entranced when i listen it. it took me a while to decide, but i love it.

"Idiot" is just her sig.
whoreatthedoor Posted - 08/10/2007 : 11:29:01
Does he only know three chords with the guitar? no, seriously.

This time we ride roller coasters into the ocean
We feel no emotion as we spiral down to the world
sweetpollypurebred Posted - 08/10/2007 : 10:49:42
i really wish he was coming to florida
tell him we have good pizza and soda here
Tiny Team Concerts Posted - 08/10/2007 : 10:15:53
The Savannah date is not yet sold out, but tickets are going pretty quickly with only two days left before the show.

This will be held in the same intimate venue where we were proud to have FBF and the Jarvis/EDF/Block band last October.

Anyone within driving range, please consider coming to the gig!

(Tickets can be securely charged online through Sunday afternoon at www.tinyteamconcerts.info)

Daniel is only playing New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Athens and Savannah...

--
Tiny Team Concerts
vilainde Posted - 08/10/2007 : 07:33:36
quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Water

That may not be the exact price, but it's right around there. $44.99 or 48.99 or something like that. I've since seen it for less than half that through three different online vendors, and will remember to tack it on my next order.

FYI, the DVD is sold for $19.95 at the official DJ online store:

http://store.hihowareyou.com/shop/music/

Denis

SPEEDYMARIEGONZALES Posted - 08/10/2007 : 04:47:39
thanks for posting i really enjoyed the interview
quote:
Originally posted by Tiny Team Concerts

Here's a brand-new article and interview with Daniel that some may find interesting.

http://www.connectsavannah.com/show_article.php?article_id=2746

--
Tiny Team Concerts

Manuel wants to keep his pet rat.
Manuel: Mrs. Fawlty, please understand. If he go, I go!
Basil Fawlty: Well, goodbye!
vilainde Posted - 08/10/2007 : 00:28:00
That was a pretty good interview. Some are painful to read cause the journalist is so condescending, it's not the case here.
Is the Savannah gig sold out yet?

Denis

Tiny Team Concerts Posted - 08/09/2007 : 23:05:05
Here's a brand-new article and interview with Daniel that some may find interesting.

http://www.connectsavannah.com/show_article.php?article_id=2746

--
Tiny Team Concerts
IceCream Posted - 08/09/2007 : 17:46:45
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Thanks, swp. That second one is chilling. I'm really falling for this guy's music. His soul is so naked, and it seems like he is so pained.
I think you just hit the nail on the head. It is very difficult to convey emotion through music. When I think about it, there's really no effable way to describe how one conveys sadness or honesty through a series of vibrations in the air. But somehow Dan exposes his soul and lays it out for us on each and every bit of music, conveniently available for us on the tangible CD and LP formats.
coastline Posted - 08/09/2007 : 13:42:13
Thanks, swp. That second one is chilling. I'm really falling for this guy's music. His soul is so naked, and it seems like he is so pained.

Has anybody heard the Dead Milkmen's version of "Rocket Ship"? I had no idea that was a cover -- I thought they wrote it, but it turns out it was Daniel.

There's a perfect explanation for the shit that I've been in. As soon as I find out, I'll let you know.
sweetpollypurebred Posted - 08/09/2007 : 13:22:04
some cool daniel vids
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AyrKr4RexJM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=exqlt1YKros
http://youtube.com/watch?v=46HEC4brycA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=573eYCQKCOM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AZNVQRp0TNg
vilainde Posted - 08/09/2007 : 05:43:56
I played 1990 to my 10-months kids the other day, and they started to cry but I couldn't really figure out if it was because of the music or if they were just hungry. To be honest, it really is a very depressing album.

Denis

coastline Posted - 08/09/2007 : 05:15:40
You may have misunderstood my post, Denis. I recognize there's something there, but I can't put my finger on what it is. I like him, but I don't know why. I keep asking myself: "Am I liking this only because I'm a music snob and I read he's a cult hero from Austin, which makes him strangely cool, or do I really like these songs?" Since my last post, I've done some reading, and I'm starting to see at least *why* this album is such a shitty recording, but I still don't quite get why it wasn't re-recorded once some record producer recognized how good the songs were.

I'm just rambling, trying to figure out my attraction to this guy who, on the surface, does seem a bit repulsive. Like Julia Roberts must have thought when she met Lyle Lovett.

What's interesting is that my kids, who are 5 and 8, are really drawn to him. I had the album on in the car and the house yesterday, and they kept stopping what they were doing because they heard something in a song that intrigued them. "King Kong" was the one that really stopped them. I've always said a song is good if it reaches both adults and children. That's one thing I love about FB -- my kids understand songs like "Horrible Day" or "Headache." Daniel Johnston's directness seems to appeal to my kids, and maybe it's what I like about him too.

vilainde Posted - 08/09/2007 : 00:50:08
Alright. MAYBE it wasn't the best record to begin with. I have to admit that some songs on it are a bit demanding (it takes some strength to sit through the whole 5 minutes of "King Kong"). But you got a bunch of hits on it, Speeding Motorcycle and Casper being among his most "famous" songs. And behind the ultra-lo-fi production, ugly organ playing and weird singing, I think there are perfect pop songs, and the lyrics are not "simple" to me but very direct and honest. It's worth listening to it a couple more times, you might end up enjoying it, who knows...
Anyway sorry if my recommendation fell flat. He's done some very different stuff (production-wise) so don't give up. Fun and [Fear Yourself] have waaaaay better production.

Denis

coastline Posted - 08/08/2007 : 11:13:42
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

coastline, try to find Fun, Yip/Jump Music, Continued Story (it's been recently re-released with Hi How Are You on 1 CD), and if you want to try a compilation, Welcome To My World or Discovered Covered.

I picked up "Yip/Jump Music" last night. My very initial reaction was one of horror. His voice is childlike, the recording is abominable, and the lyrics are painfully simple. And yet ... there does seem to be something powerful there. I can't turn off a song once it starts, despite my feeling that the whole operation is pitiful and primitive. The first one that grabbed me was "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Your Grievances." On the one hand, it seems like a ripoff of other old songs. And his voice is crap. And the recording is, like I said, terrible. Keep the mic in front of you, Daniel! And he doesn't even pronounce "grievances" correctly. Yet on the other hand, despite all that, when I got out of the car and went into the bookstore to do some reading, I couldn't get the song out of my head and I wanted nothing more than to go back to the car and hear it again. I'm totally intrigued. And horrified at the same time.

Why do you love him so much, Denis? What's the draw? (I'm not being accusatory; I'm trying to figure out what it is I'm drawn to, because I can't understand why I don't just turn off this awful recording.)

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000