-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Bluefinger PR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vilainde Posted - 05/24/2007 : 14:07:59
http://www.cookingvinyl.com/press/d/4168-1/Bluefinger+PR.doc

BLACK FRANCIS
New album “Bluefinger” (COOKCD408)
Released 3rd September 2007

What is in a name? I had a stage name suggested to me by my father about 20 years ago during a time when I was considering seeking my fortune in the rock and roll business. “Why don’t you call yourself BLACK FRANCIS” he said. “Sure”, I answered, never questioning why. A few years later when I left my group The Pixies I decided to symbolically go another direction and adopted the inverted FRANK BLACK. I felt validated when someone I know in the business told me that just before this time, while driving Warren Zevon to his performance, had explained that he would be driving someone called BLACK FRANCIS on the following night, and that Warren had quipped “that guy ought to change his name to FRANK BLACK”.

I never thought I’d go back to the old stage name, although I secretly missed it. I never thought I’d go back to the old band, although I discovered during a reunion tour years later that I missed them, too. But these things are bittersweet, and all of the rekindled foreplay of performing the old BLACK FRANCIS songs never warmed to the full coitus of a reunion LP. Even the sessions we did manage for two new recordings (a song by Kim Deal and another by Warren Zevon) were fun, but the quick fuck was awkward.

I privately went back to the old stage name, if that even makes any sense, almost as a joke. I couldn’t get The Pixies back into a studio, but I would transform into my alter ego of yesteryear. I spoke the magic syllables aloud and nothing happened; just as I thought. Soon after my new manager asked me for a bonus track for a “best of” compilation to be released later in the year. And as I prepared for the session I became (honestly) gripped by the spirit of Herman Brood, and my bonus track expanded into an 11 song record called BLUEFINGER in just a few days. Thank you Herman. You were at the distant edge of my vision for years when suddenly I was under your influence like a cloud of opium, like the scent of the house of the rising sun. Bliss. Bliss. Bliss. I had spoken the magical name and nothing had happened, but I was impatient, and like so many people, I thought the magic would reveal itself in an instant, as depicted in films. Magic is more subtle. And Herman Brood did turn me back into BLACK FRANCIS. Funny how things work out. You just never know.

John Lennon and Yoko Ono claimed the Amsterdam Hilton in 1969. The Pixies headlined their first big rock show in Holland in 1988. Herman Brood reclaimed the Hilton for his country in 2001, and now I feel he has even claimed back The Pixies, or at least me, BLACK FRANCIS.

Warren Zevon and Herman Brood were both blessed piano players. And you know, I am crazy for Leon Russell. “Who are my influences” I’ve been asked about a thousand times, and I just never really know what to say. Piano rolls are cool, sheesh, they shaped the 3 minute pop song; but even as they threatened the station of the human piano player, the piano player stayed at his bench, and would not be outdone (or will ever be outdone) by the fantastic machines. I don’t know who my influences are, but I love the piano players who stayed true.

Black Francis
May 2007
unincorporated suburb, Oregon
www.cookingvinyl.com

For more information, please contact JOOLZ at COOKING VINYL :
Tel : 0208 600 9203 E: joolz@cookingvinyl.com

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Grotesque Posted - 06/14/2007 : 11:08:28
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

Bluefinger cover art. What's the deal with this? Is the cover art I'm seeing the actual cover art?

The shape seems right for a regular cd booklet.
Any Brood's painting would be good anyway.
He was making modern art with a very humble and "have fun" attitude.
A bit like Don Van Vliet, though much more "pop" and less abstract.
Jason Posted - 06/13/2007 : 15:59:47
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

I think this situation would make a new PIXIES record more likely now than before. FB is inspired as Black Francis once again. Is the way I see it.

Yeah, but Frank has always been on board for making a new Pixies record. We've known this for a few years now. If Frank's own statements in the press are to be belived, it hasn't been his reluctance that is preventing a new Pixies record from being recorded.

(Not that I'm demanding a new Pixies record, personally. I'm not.)

trobrianders Posted - 06/13/2007 : 15:43:46
Bluefinger cover art. What's the deal with this? Is the cover art I'm seeing the actual cover art?

OLDMANOTY Posted - 06/13/2007 : 03:09:51
Yeah, the more I've listened to Bluefinger the less it reminds me of Pixies. To me it's more Frank Black than Black Francis and I wish it was coming out as a Frank Black album - that would just underline his amazing diversity and cancel out any possible confusion for the public/media.

I agree with Jose Jones re Pixies. I don't listen to them that often these days, it's almost like listening to The Beatles - truly great but do you need to hear Hey Jude every day?
Jose Jones Posted - 06/12/2007 : 21:40:42
you know, i never really REALLY thought about a new pixies record.

for every 1 time i listen to a pixies record, i listen to an FB record 20 times. i just don't go back to them that often anymore. sure, i have the cover of doolittle tattooed to my arm, but that's just it. they're tattooed to my brain, to my PERSON. i KNOW the pixies.

with frank black i'm constantly discovering more. more more more. christmass is so great because it puts ALL these songs (pixies included) into a new light, a new mental image. that album was so appropriately named.

but i think back to when i first discovered the pixies. when it all was fresh and new and amazing. when joey was my god, more so than charles. when kim's breeders were listened to when i wasn't devouring bossanova.

when i later discovered charles' solo work as Frank Black, it made me rethink the pixies. it made me see the pixies as "frank's first batch of songs." and i've thought of them as that ever since.

but now the idea of a NEW pixies record is being batted around. i can't really wrap my head around that.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Grotesque Posted - 05/27/2007 : 16:02:02
The "Pixies new album" joke is that kind of very long joke that goes on and on untill at the end there is nothing at all and you want to kill the guy who told you the joke. You know, the one with the ants in the desert and the one with the guy who wants a green ping pong ball for each birthday of his life...
1965 Posted - 05/25/2007 : 18:40:15
I think this situation would make a new PIXIES record more likely now than before. FB is inspired as Black Francis once again. Is the way I see it.

trobrianders Posted - 05/25/2007 : 15:09:15
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

quote:

'the quick fuck was awkward.' Ha!

'Herman Brood did turn me back into BLACK FRANCIS.' There you have it.

I like this line even better: "But these things are bittersweet, and all of the rekindled foreplay of performing the old BLACK FRANCIS songs never warmed to the full coitus of a reunion LP."

Anyway, this makes it sound like he/they have given up completely on recording again.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.

Love is unpredictable.

Carl Posted - 05/25/2007 : 07:51:42
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

I like this line even better: "But these things are bittersweet, and all of the rekindled foreplay of performing the old BLACK FRANCIS songs never warmed to the full coitus of a reunion LP."

I can imagine them all sitting around the studio after an new album, smoking and going "How was it for you?"
misterwoe Posted - 05/25/2007 : 06:56:21
Does this mean we're supposed to call him Black Francis now?

I'll be by the pool, playing with my guns.
coastline Posted - 05/25/2007 : 04:43:26
quote:

Anyway, this makes it sound like he/they have given up completely on recording again.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
cassandra is Posted - 05/25/2007 : 02:57:33
quote:
Originally posted by jediroller

Nice. Merci Denis. French version is up on Blackolero.

You can confirm the genuineness of the deceased death by clicking on this website

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes

quel bourreau de travail ce Jedi!

pas de bras pas de chocolat
jediroller Posted - 05/25/2007 : 02:28:57
Nice. Merci Denis. French version is up on Blackolero.

You can confirm the genuineness of the deceased death by clicking on this website

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
scruvs Posted - 05/24/2007 : 23:51:32
quote:
Originally posted by Tiny Team Concerts

Hey, remember this?

quote:
Originally posted by scruvs

quote:

quote:
pka Frank Black

Very interesting.

I wonder if this means that Christmass will be the last record under that moniker, and that starting with the next release, Charles will be stepping out under his own name for the first time in his "pro" career?

--
Tiny Team Concerts
"Good music for nice people"

I suspect he was using it to mean "professionally," not "previously."

Hi, Frank.

I had a feeling something was up...

--
Tiny Team Concerts

I stand corrected.

Carl Posted - 05/24/2007 : 17:21:24
Great read, thanks vil!
1965 Posted - 05/24/2007 : 17:12:49
"Soon after my new manager asked me for a bonus track..."

Who is Black's new Mgr ~ anyone know?

Jason Posted - 05/24/2007 : 16:45:30
I'm glad Frank (I'm still calling him that) is writing his own press release thingees for his albums again. They're always fun to read and he didn't write any for his last two albums. I missed them.

Interesting bit about the album growing out of what was originally just a bonus track for the Best of.
Tiny Team Concerts Posted - 05/24/2007 : 16:30:43
Hey, remember this?

quote:
Originally posted by scruvs

quote:

quote:
pka Frank Black

Very interesting.

I wonder if this means that Christmass will be the last record under that moniker, and that starting with the next release, Charles will be stepping out under his own name for the first time in his "pro" career?

--
Tiny Team Concerts

I suspect he was using it to mean "professionally," not "previously."

Hi, Frank.

I had a feeling something was up...

--
Tiny Team Concerts
Ziggy Posted - 05/24/2007 : 15:12:42
That's a bloody good read.
benji Posted - 05/24/2007 : 14:26:05
thats a pretty damn cool press release.
if i didn't already have the album i'd be very excited...
bring on september nonetheless.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
trobrianders Posted - 05/24/2007 : 14:19:47

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000