-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Collaborations

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Daisy Girl Posted - 01/06/2007 : 08:50:50
Hi All,

I just got done updating the list of covers Frank does (you can check out this work in progress at http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13621&whichpage=1).

Anyway this is a thread dedicated to collaborations that Frank Black has done.

PLEASE don't list any covers and keep the posts brief and ON TOPIC.

Thanks!
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Troubles A Foot Posted - 04/29/2022 : 17:53:38
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

FB's Input Song/Album Title Main Artist/Preformer
sung on live w/TMBG Spy Frank Black
sung on live w/TMBG Los Angles Frank Black
sung on live w/TMBG Headache Frank Black
sung on live w/TMBG Czar Frank Black
sung on live w/TMBG Jumping Bean Frank Black
sung on live w/TMBG Spy They Might Be Giants
sung on live w/TMBG Dig My Grave They Might Be Giants
sung on live w/TMBG Istanbul They Might Be Giants
sung on live w/TMBG Particle Man They Might Be Giants

As a TMBG nut I am very familiar with this show, and have talked to musicians who played at it, but I don't think TMBG performed on those Frank songs (except Linnell on sax for Fu Manchu and Tossed, maybe some others), and I don't think Frank performed on any of the TMBG songs except Spy (he has at OTHER shows sung lead on Particle Man, which I have bootlegs of, and saw live myself.)

Before the TMBG songs he introduces TMBG onto the stage, meaning they were not there the whole time. They may have shared a few side band members, but that doesn't equal TMBG playing on the song.

Here's the tracklist:

01 Intro
02 One Step Beyond
03 I Heard Ramona Sing
04 Los Angeles
05 Every Time I Go Around Here
06 Parry the Wind High Low

07 Good Evening (here Frank brings TMBG on stage, and they perform:)
08 Mammal
09 Particle Man

--- Here Linnell and Kurt Hoffman stay on stage to play saxes on:

10 Tossed (here he thanks Linnell and Kurt, and I can't tell if they stick around to play Adda Lee, but I do hear saxes)
11 Adda Lee
12 Fu Manchu (they are definitely on this, but I think they leave after it.)
------
13 This is Where I Belong (I don't hear any saxs, etc on this)
14 Ten Percenter (same)
15 Czar (same)

------ Then Frank introduces TMBG on stage and jams on Spy with them. For years Flansburgh said Spy was about/inspired by Frank Black, my guess is that is because it may be about an alien in a spaceship ----

16 Spy
17 Credits

The Maharal Posted - 04/29/2022 : 13:42:49
A bit of a bump but I've just discovered this song he did with Reeves Gabrels, Bowie and Dave Grohl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDmbjeGTlrs

Not sure how I didn't come across it before.

https://www.deezer.com/us/track/788795932?autoplay=true Another one - quite nice. His singing reminds me a bit of the self-titled album / TOTY.
trobrianders Posted - 02/03/2007 : 03:09:40
quote:

I am thinking we shouldn't include stuff until it's realeased. What do you guys think?

I agree with Daisy Girl but just before we do that, Charles has been floating the idea of how great it would be if Tom Waits was interested in producing a a new Pixies record. What a dream collaboration that would be! I've sometime wondered if the TW album Bone Machine was any kind of reference to Surfer Rosa's opener. Does anyone know?

Daisy Girl Posted - 02/02/2007 : 17:01:21
I am thinking we shouldn't include stuff until it's realeased. What do you guys think?
fbc Posted - 02/01/2007 : 15:58:39
Frank also sang on 'Local Girls', too, and "I Love You So" (for the Arthur Alexander Tribute record, but was also left off)

1965 Posted - 02/01/2007 : 15:06:33
Discovering Japan was recorded for Piss & Vinegar (Graham Parker tribute album/CD), but was left off. So it is still unreleased.

MCMLXV
vilainde Posted - 02/01/2007 : 06:57:09
I always thought the Jon Tiven Ego Trip songs featuring Frank was called "Let's Think About It". Never heard of "Discovering Japan". There's a small sample here, but I don't hear any Frank on it:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Blue%20Guru:1921253880;_ylt=Atr4AGeOE87EoXOsjrUJiTRUvQcF;_ylu=X3oDMTBzZTVhM3RqBF9zAzk1OTUxMTEzBGx0AzQEc2VjA2FydHByb2Q-

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
coastline Posted - 01/25/2007 : 09:24:36
I've always loved that performance. It was awfully nice of FB to join them on stage, and the result was surprisingly memorable.

And aren't you havin' fun?
Kees Posted - 01/25/2007 : 09:20:27
For what it's worth (I don't know if you consider a single live appearance a collaboration), Frank Black made an appearance on a Placebo concert in Paris, playing Where Is My Mind. I don't know when, but here is the footage proving that it did happen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bu6W3jNU1M
Daisy Girl Posted - 01/09/2007 : 07:05:15
Thanks 1965 I will add your comments to the list. I definatey think Pigface is more of a collaboration than anything. Actually, if you check out the most recent versions of the covers thread, you will see that Pigface is not listed.
1965 Posted - 01/09/2007 : 05:03:38
You have this listed in the covers thread, which it is, but it is also a collaboration of sorts:
Watch What You're Doing (Larry Norman) was performed live at Elsinore Theater - Salem, Oregon
24th June 2005 by Larry Norman w/ Frank Black as a duet.

MCMLXV
Jefrey Posted - 01/08/2007 : 23:37:03
Also, yes I would consider BF as lead/main vocal on "Dog".

========
jeffamerica
========
Jefrey Posted - 01/08/2007 : 23:34:18
Well, here's the facts as I know them. The songs were recorded for "Welcome To Mexico Asshole" but didn't make the cut for the album and ended up as unreleased bonus tracks on the "Best Of Pigface" compilation. I remember listening to the album when it came out and trying to figure out which song FB was on, but couldn't determine for sure which one it was. But I remember an article in Spin or something at the time mentioning he did some recoridng with Pigface, which is why I bought the album in the first place.

It sounds like the songs didn't make the cut for "Welcome To Mexico" but they had already done the liner notes crediting him. It's possible that he's not on any songs on the "Welcome To Mexico" album at all, but I don't know for sure. The liner notes for the early Pigface albums just listed all the artists and didn't identify what they played on by song.

The only actual --song-- is "Dog", so I'd probably only list that. It's basically Martin Atkins playing frantic drums and BF playing frantic rhythm guitar and barking out instructions for chord changes. It's more of a jam than a song really. Then there are yelps and screams and vocal noises that are very clearly BF.

The other piece is the Ogre interview, and you can clearly hear BF saying things, but it's a very chaotic interview. It has the song "Dog" in the background and then eventually serves as the leadin to "Dog". On both pieces it's definitely BF. There's no one else that sounds like that, and it's definitely his guitar playing style.

If you've ever listened to Pigface, none of this will seem very weird at all. They were all about experimentation and extremes. The "Best Of Pigface" is worth buying if you've never heard any Pigface. The FB piece is definitely a throwaway, but you could say you've heard it at least, and the real songs are absolutely fantastic.

========
jeffamerica
========
Daisy Girl Posted - 01/08/2007 : 07:47:55
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

Here's some more with the deal on the Pigface confusion, I believe. The Black Francis stuff was recorded for "Welcome To Mexico Asshole" but wasn't releaed on that album.

He's definitely on the 2 songs on the "Best Of Pigface" disc two, which are listed as previously unreleased. I listened to them and if it's not Black Francis playing guitar and talking/singing/screaming, it't the best impression i've ever heard.

I think he does appear on "Welcome To Mexico Asshole" but only playing rhythm guitar, and I don't recall which song(s). It's my least favorite Pigface album, and I only ever bought it because BF was supposed to be on it.

So there it is. He may or may not actually be on the "Welcome To Mexico Asshole" album, but he definitely recorded with them, and the songs are on disc 2 of the "Best Of".

========
jeffamerica
========

Thanks Jeferey. Would you consider the FB vocals to be lead or backing? Also, do you know what specific songs he preformed on? Also, can you take a look at what I have so far for Pigface.

Thanks prozacrat for the info.

The list below reflects the changes from Jefrey and prozacrat.

co written Another Velvet Nightmare Frank Black
co written Dog Sleep Frank Black
co written Don't Get Me Wrong Frank Black
co written Down To You Frank Black
co written Golden Shore Frank Black
co written I'm Not Dead (I'm in Pittsburgh) Frank Black
co written / guitar and vocals Jewel Reevers Gabrels
co written vocals/guitar 119 Years Ago Reevers Gabrels
produced Lucky's Tune Album Reid Pailey
sung on Run Gordon Gano
sung on Discovering Japan Jon Tiven's Ego Trip
sung on Big Bang Theory Mike Watt
sung on Letters From The Wasteland Wallflowers
sung on (backing vocals Double Shot Rocks Alan Merril
sung on (backing vocals) Merrily Christmas Alan Merril
sung on (backing vocals) and guitar Jail Guitar Doors Gilby Clarke (The Clash)
sung on (??? vocals) and guitar Pigface (Best of) Pigface
sung on (lead vocals) Chinese Firedrill Mike Watt
sung on Gillby Clark version Jail Guitar Doors The Clash
sung on live w/Bowie Fashion David Bowie
sung on live w/Bowie Scary Monsters David Bowie
written/sung on/guitar Yellow/Orange Tossed TMBG (Kurt Hoffman & John Linnell) did horns Frank Black

1965 Posted - 01/08/2007 : 03:31:28
Jef et al, maybe I created some confusion there... If you believe FB is on some Pigface material, then he probably is. I have never heard any of it. I was just relaying something I read, where FB's name was included in their liner notes/credits but he was not actually involved.

So maybe I got it wrong, sorry.

MCMLXV
Jefrey Posted - 01/08/2007 : 02:37:44
Here's some more with the deal on the Pigface confusion, I believe. The Black Francis stuff was recorded for "Welcome To Mexico Asshole" but wasn't releaed on that album.

He's definitely on the 2 songs on the "Best Of Pigface" disc two, which are listed as previously unreleased. I listened to them and if it's not Black Francis playing guitar and talking/singing/screaming, it't the best impression i've ever heard.

I think he does appear on "Welcome To Mexico Asshole" but only playing rhythm guitar, and I don't recall which song(s). It's my least favorite Pigface album, and I only ever bought it because BF was supposed to be on it.

So there it is. He may or may not actually be on the "Welcome To Mexico Asshole" album, but he definitely recorded with them, and the songs are on disc 2 of the "Best Of".

========
jeffamerica
========
Jefrey Posted - 01/08/2007 : 02:11:49
quote:

Thanks Brian for your comments... the info below captures your changes.

Thanks 1965 about the Pigface info. I have taken it off and unless we come with some solid proof- I will leave it off for now.

Some solid proof? I'm sorry, but what's the deal with the Pigface info? I put the full text from the liner notes in the Covers thread, as I mentioned.

Here it is again:

------------

Liner Notes from "The Best Of Pigface":

Ogre (& The Six Million Dollar Man) Ogre interview with Jason Pettigrew with backing from Black Francis, Roberto Santiago & Martin Atkins in the background. Notes: ogre interview from Lean Juicy Pork (interview disc) spilling into....

Dog (Francis/Atkins): Black Francis & Roberto Santiago - guitars, Martin Atkins, drums, Lee Popa - shouting. Notes: This was recorded during a Killing Joke tour in 1992? Opening for the Pixies. I asked Black Francis and Roberto Santiago if they'd like to join Pigface - we set up some equipment on a jai-alai court in San Sebastian and messed around for awhile - later that night (as the hotel bar closed) I recorded the adding machine sounds used on Murder Inc.

---------

========
jeffamerica
========
prozacrat Posted - 01/07/2007 : 20:27:01
That looks right. I believe the TMBG members who played on Tossed were Kurt Hoffman and John Linnell.

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Daisy Girl Posted - 01/07/2007 : 16:55:16
Thanks Brian for your comments... the info below captures your changes.

As far as the scope of the collaboration goes, I think I am just going to keep it to music just to keep it simple.

Thanks 1965 about the Pigface info. I have taken it off and unless we come with some solid proof- I will leave it off for now.

Prozacrat, if you could do me the favor of looking over the TMBG stuff to make sure that the info on there is right, it would be a big help. Thanks ;)

Here's the updated list:

co written / guitar and vocals Jewel Reevers Gabrels
co written vocals/guitar 119 Years Ago Reevers Gabrels
produced Lucky's Tune Album Reid Pailey
sung on Run Gordon Gano
written/sung on/guitar Yellow/Orange Tossed TMBG did horns Frank Black
prozacrat Posted - 01/07/2007 : 12:25:21
There were several other songs that Frank did with TMBG, some of which Flansburgh mentions in that thing he wrote which was just posted in that TMBG influences thread. Should those be listed here?

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Broken Face Posted - 01/07/2007 : 05:15:43
Notes/corrections in bold

co written vocals/gutair 119 Years Ago Reevers Gabrels
Co-written, guitar and vocals Jewel Reevers Gabrels
played on All the Tired Horses Bob DylanFB didn't play on this at all. This was recorded in 1970 - they just played it over the PA system before Catholics shows.
produced Lucky's Tune Album Reid Paley
sung on Run Gordon Gano
sung on live Particle Man They Might Be Giants
unknown Welcome to Mexico, Asshole (album) Pigface

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
1965 Posted - 01/07/2007 : 05:11:29
"My Name Is Gary" is co-written with Joey Santiago. Although I don't think this song was ever officially released, other than accompanying the film/soundtrack Low Budget Time Machine.

Btw, I recall reading somewhere that the Pigface "credit" was a fabrication and never really happened. I may have to research that one further.

MCMLXV
Ziggy Posted - 01/07/2007 : 03:49:55
'Jon Tiven's Ego Trip'? Haha.
Jefrey Posted - 01/07/2007 : 02:11:36
Details on the Pigface stuff is in the covers thread.

Are you including guest appearances on his own live shows as collaberations?

John Doe came on stage and sang at least 2 songs (I Need Peace and 666, I beleive) with FB & The C's when they toured together.

========
jeffamerica
========
Daisy Girl Posted - 01/06/2007 : 11:29:35
Here's a rough draft. There are three columns that are all squished together b/c I am posting it here. The columns are FB's Input, Song/Album Title, Main Artist/Preformer

I also have a "details" column not shown here for the sake of keeping it simple for now. One example in that column is it lists Reid Paley as the co-author of the songs he's writen with Frank.

Let me know what you guys think...any changes and additions welcome.

co written vocals/gutair 119 Years Ago Reevers Gabrels
collaboration Jewel Reevers Gabrels
played on All the Tired Horses Bob Dylan
produced Lucky's Tune Album Reid Paley
sung on Run Gordon Gano
sung on (backing vocals) Chinese Firedrill Mike Watt
sung on live Particle Man They Might Be Giants
unknown Welcome to Mexico, Asshole (album) Pigface
Broken Face Posted - 01/06/2007 : 10:08:36
Off the top of my head:

Reid Paley co-writes:

Another Velvet Nightmare
Dog Sleep
I'm Not Dead (I'm in Pittsburgh)
Golden Shore
Down To You
Don't Get Me Wrong

And the Reeves Gabrels ones (Guitar and vox on both):

119 Years Ago (also co-written)
Jewel (also co-written)

And he sang on:

Jail Guitar Doors - Gilby Clarke (backing vox/guitar i think)(Clash Cover)
Big Bang Theory/Chinese Firedrill - Mike Watt
Letters from the Wasteland - Wallflowers (backing vox)
Run - Gordon Gano
Discovering Japan - Jon Tiven's Ego Trip (backing vox i think)
MERRILY CHRISTMAS and DOUBLE SHOT ROCKS (albums) - Alan Merrill (backking vox, according to AllMusicGuide)

And he produced Reid Paley's LUCKY'S TUNE album

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000