-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 I do a mantra and I know PL1

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cellar_door Posted - 01/04/2007 : 09:00:51
Man I never bothered to actually read the lyrics to this one. Haha After 8 years (I guess since FBTC was released), I'm laughing so hard at that line. I couldn't figure out that FB was actually saying "P-L-1"

Haha for any non computer nerds on here, PL1 is an old 60's computer language, I'm pretty sure IMB made it. Man that whole verse is classic:

I`m drinking antiknock
I do a mantra and I know PL 1
I do the ragnarock
I`m just a monster not a proto human

lol antiknock is something you use in your engine, but I'm not a big chemistry guy. I had to google ragnarock, some music lable from what I gather. ahha man every time I listen to this song now I'm going to laugh at that part.

I was a hawk and I just flew...yeah
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pioneers parrot Posted - 09/20/2007 : 20:21:59
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

I'd miss pizza too much

Does this phrase mean something special in the English language? If so, it could be the key to the song...

I kid because I love, fbc. Actually, I kid because I can relate. I'd miss pizza, too, and ice cream and salty snacks and anything in the cocktail food group.

As for the matter at hand, before reading this thread, I had little idea what "Livin' on Soul" was about. Now... well, now I just find it mysterious.

Polly want a cheeto? Damn straight I say, my good man! Why, squawk, I say.
hammerhands Posted - 09/13/2007 : 23:14:23
There are so many threads for this song!

Towards the discussion of meaning here, antiknock contains lead, which could prove useful in protecting oneself against radiation.

I'm trying to find a superhero that matches this song, see this previously linked youtube video that discusses Swamp Thing, which fits the Monster/Proto-Human line.
myshutup Posted - 08/03/2007 : 19:42:27
I registered so I could say this. This song makes me think of Dr. Manhattan from the Watchmen comics. No idea what it's actually about.
coastline Posted - 07/31/2007 : 06:19:21
quote:
Originally posted by langdonboom

this is interesting on PL-1

http://www.engin.umd.umich.edu/CIS/course.des/cis400/pl1/pl1.html

It was introduced long after Bikini Atoll, but it still fits in the theme of us blowing ourselves up and having to/being better off just "living on soul".

Excellent thread, by the way. Great thoughts and needless to say, great song.

Interesting that Marathon Oil used PL/1. My aunt worked there in the early '80s, and when they retired the computers that used little cards with holes punched in them to store information, she brought home thousands of the cards. She gave us a bunch and we used them for at least 10 years -- for grocery lists, bookmarks, etc. Anyway, this has practically nothing to do with the song, but I do wonder if those punch cards immediately pre-dated PL/1 or what. I wish I still had one of those cards so I could post a pic.

There's a perfect explanation for the shit that I've been in. As soon as I find out, I'll let you know.
langdonboom Posted - 07/31/2007 : 05:26:03
this is interesting on PL-1

http://www.engin.umd.umich.edu/CIS/course.des/cis400/pl1/pl1.html

It was introduced long after Bikini Atoll, but it still fits in the theme of us blowing ourselves up and having to/being better off just "living on soul".

Excellent thread, by the way. Great thoughts and needless to say, great song.
Lokikun Posted - 03/14/2007 : 18:06:57
I always took the 'lucky sevens' and 'grandmother's curse' line to reference sex linked genetic traits. Let's use colourblindness as an example. If the grandmother was colourblind (XcXc) and the grandfather had normal vision (XCY0) then 100% of the daughters would be carriers of the colourblind gene while having normal vision themselves (XCXc) and 100% of the sons would be colourblind (XcY0). Then if one of these daughters had children with a 'normal vision' male it would break down like this: if the child is female, she has 50% chance of being normal vision non-carrier, and a 50% chance of being normal vision carrier; if the child is male then he has a 50% chance of having normal vision and 50% chance of being colourblind.

I think of that verse as being about an unlucky male recipiant of a sex-linked disorder and the 'lucky sevens' being a sarcastic comment about his bad luck. At first I thought the verse was about early humans (sloth; loin cloth), but now I lean toward it being more modern. "He's got a new loin cloth" could refer to modern clothing. It could be alluding to the fact that even though we've made such apparent progress in the modern world, we're still similar to cavemen in terms of our basic needs/drives.

This could tie into the rest of the song as well...Instead of bringing destruction to our neighbors via a stone axe and a crushing blow, we've progressed to the point that we can destroy others by rapidly releasing the energy gained from splitting an atom.
Stevio10 Posted - 03/09/2007 : 22:17:35
I also love this track, the first FB album I ever heard was FB&C's debut album with the all my ghosts single included, featuring all my ghosts, living on soul, humboldt country massacre and changing of the guards. Those four songs alone pretty much hooked me. But it was the lyrics on this track that really stood out. I recall going through not so good times and Id think yeah "im living on soul". Great thread, thought id show my appreciation.
2Strings Posted - 03/09/2007 : 15:20:05
I don't have a 'favourite' FB song but i absolutely love this track, i am so happy to see that you guys feel the same about it. It really has an amazingly surreal vibe to it, and reading some of the interpretations here, it becomes even stranger. This thread has really made me appreciate the song in a new light, great job picking over the lyrics :)

EDIT: Not sure if this could have any relation to the 'lucky seven's' line http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/seven.shtml, i can't see how it fits but it's just a thought. I think it is probably just a reference to superstition in general.
coastline Posted - 03/09/2007 : 15:05:28
If ever there were a time I'd want The Man to step in and help out, this is it. This is is one of the all-time great threads, and I'd really love to know if any of it's even close to right. Since Jason's brilliant post about the song being sung from a machine's point of view, I've been listening to it that way, but have made absolutely no headway on the meaning of any of it. Fascinating song, nonetheless.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Triakel Posted - 02/10/2007 : 08:59:18
"I`m drinking antiknock
I do the ragnarock
I`m just a monster not a proto human"

This is one of my favorite Frank verses, and the one I'm most likely to shout along with in the car. It's funny and opaque and cool and portenteous. Just the way I like it.

I'm not sure about meanings of the verses. I've long been puzzled by the "lucky sevens/grandmother's curse" line. Must not be reading the right books or watching the right movies. The line reminds me of some mythology that I can't quite remember. Sumerian? Don't quote me, but I think the mother of the creator god curses her netherworld grandson for creating a "golem"-like creature from clay. Something mindless and lifeless (the gods were trying to imitate the creator and failing). An abomination. That doesn't exactly fit the song, but that's what comes to mind. Considering that the Elohim (giants) from the Bible made it into "All My Ghosts," this might ot be a completely wrongheaded interpretation.

The song's bridge shifts meaning for me when I hear it. Is it a machine offering its perspective on humans? "You wanted this knowledge (of destruction), but you can't handle it. You wanted me to have knowledge, but I can't handle it. I resent you for making me try."

Crazy ideas:

The song is written from the perspective of a 1960s-era computer/ missile launching system (real or as imagined in sci-fi from the era)that has just reached a state of consciousness and is aware of its creators' history, intentions and destiny. It also understands its role in the narrative -- whether or not it "believes" in old myths like Ragnarok, it understands the essential truth of the myths -- that it is an abomination that will bring about the end of mankind.

I've heard Frank sing the line "I'm not a monster just a protohuman" as "I'm just a monster not a protohuman." Works both ways in this context. The first way, it could be a be a consciousness that will supercede humanity (common theme in sci-fi)-- "I'm gonna atomize YOU" (not US). The second way, it's the abomination thing again.

My brother is reading a Russian author named Andrei Sitchin, who fits into the Immanuel Velikovsky realm of trying to prove that ancient myths are interpretations of real events. I don't buy the arguments, but it's very interesting to listen to a song like this after being exposed to the writing.

Lokikun Posted - 01/26/2007 : 15:48:14
One question that I'd like to raise for discussion is about the line 'I do a mantra and I know PL-1'. This could have two very differant meanings.

1) I do a mantra and (as a result of it) I know PL-1

or

2) I do a mantra and (also) I know PL-1

Interpretation of #1 would imply that this knowledge is granted by some higher power. Looking deeper into it, it suggests (In a very Augustinian way) that knowledge is ONLY granted by divine revelation. Keeping with the theme of the Ragnarok, this would imply that the gods are leading us to our ultimate destruction one small step at a time, yet we don't see it as such. The fact that we 'do a mantra', or pray, or meditate to these beings shows that we have love/respect/etc in regard to these entites, yet the feeling is not mutual.

Interpretation of #2 makes me think of Robertson Davies' 'A Few Kind Words For Superstition' which explores why supposedly learn-ed people continue to be irrational in their beliefs. It could imply that we know that our actions could (or perhaps even will) lead us to our destruction, yet we (irrationally) behave in ways that bring us still closer to the edge.

In terms of 'drinking antiknock', someone touched on the fact that it's a gasoline additive...It's also highly toxic. It brings to mind Socrates being sentenced to die by way of drinking Hemlock. It's well accepted that he could have -easily- escaped this in any number of ways, but chose instead to accept his fate. And what of poor 'Charlie on the MTA'? In the song referenced, Charlie's wife brings him a sandwich each day as he reaches a certain stop. She could have just as easily brought him the nickle needed to get off the train, or he could have even just jumped the gates and accepted a slap on the wrist. It's this idea that we're on a path that we could easily change, yet for whatever reason, we choose to resign ourselves to the ultimate outcome.

Thoughts?

-Wes
BLT Posted - 01/25/2007 : 16:56:03
I thought it was "rad na rock"... named after the Thai noodle dish.

"Man, you come right out of a comic book."
Brank_Flack Posted - 01/25/2007 : 16:34:14
they should have used that as the FB&TC cover, the one they have now is one of the worst album covers ever
Philomath Posted - 01/18/2007 : 08:06:44

"in regards to ragnarok and the giants... i wonder if that relates to the cover artwork for the all my ghosts ep that includes living on soul."

It is from 12th century France when the fear of the Mongols and Chingis Khan was ravaging through the western world, so they depicted them as a giant with no head and with their face on their body.

How terrible is wisdom when it gives no pleasure to the wise
two reelers Posted - 01/10/2007 : 00:18:21
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

does the phrase "livin on soul" have some meaning in the english language ? it may be a key to the song. or not.

Not that I can think of.

The chorus of the song talks about "your person will be bursting" and "they're gonna atomize you". Destruction of the body. And I guess the narrator of the song believes (or is appealing to the belief of the person they're singing to) that when/if one is physically destroyed, the soul will live on. Living on soul.

oh well. that seems to make some sense.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
fumanbru Posted - 01/09/2007 : 16:53:43
quote:
Originally posted by Jason
The chorus of the song talks about "your person will be bursting" and "they're gonna atomize you". Destruction of the body. And I guess the narrator of the song believes (or is appealing to the belief of the person they're singing to) that when/if one is physically destroyed, the soul will live on. Living on soul.

i really like that idea.

in regards to ragnarok and the giants... i wonder if that relates to the cover artwork for the all my ghosts ep that includes living on soul.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
fbc Posted - 01/09/2007 : 13:32:39
I'd miss pizza too much
cellar_door Posted - 01/09/2007 : 12:37:04
I want to be a proto human :(

fbc Posted - 01/09/2007 : 11:04:21
this thread's nearly as good as the song, cellar, but...

quote:
Originally posted by cellar_door

"I`m drinking antiknock
I do the ragnarock

he's not a monster just a proto human
Jason Posted - 01/09/2007 : 10:24:42
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

does the phrase "livin on soul" have some meaning in the english language ? it may be a key to the song. or not.

Not that I can think of.

two reelers Posted - 01/09/2007 : 10:15:19

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
danjersey Posted - 01/08/2007 : 22:28:14
loin cloth and christ
lennon and sloth
(laying around and all)
floop Posted - 01/08/2007 : 21:37:58
good threaad
remig Posted - 01/08/2007 : 15:37:05
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

I (the best non album fb track besides Annoucement)

Didn't you want to write Pan Americn Highway?
The Holiday Son Posted - 01/08/2007 : 15:05:00
Insanely good song (the best non album fb track besides Annoucement) with awesome lyrics.
I've been quite obsessed with it actually in the last weeks and all this makes me wanna listen to it even more !
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 01/08/2007 : 14:33:40
Hmmm... also good. Probably better.

Threads like this are the reason I love FB.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
speedy_m Posted - 01/08/2007 : 13:58:46
Perhaps the elevation of the mind is a reference (along with PL-1) of man's continued evolution and abilites, his "mighty works", but when we get up there we can't stand the view. We tear it all down.

maybe I'll kick it
coastline Posted - 01/08/2007 : 13:53:53
For what it's worth, I just added a line about this song in the Wikipedia entry for "The MTA Song," which is what FB is referencing in the second verse:

You can't get off your stop
Like old Charlie on the MTA
Though you were so chop-chop
You're solely sorry that you cannot pay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_MTA_Song#Popular_culture

And aren't you havin' fun?
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 01/08/2007 : 13:52:59
See, that's a pretty interesting crackpot theory. This sort of stuff belongs in the podcast. I like how you tied in Charlie. As for the elevating the mind in reference to your theory, I'd venture he's saying that as he gets wiser he sees the folly of man moreso and can't stand it.

Jason Posted - 01/08/2007 : 13:43:21
"Living on Soul" seems to be from the point of view of a machine (maybe even partly from an animal and maybe even partly from primitive man commenting on modern man).

The first verse seems to be a comment on mankind. Mankind isn't all bad ("he got heart and he do mighty works") and, for some reason, the narrator draws a line connecting modern man to primitive man ("new loin cloth").

The chorus then refers to man-made methods of mass destruction.

The second verse seems to relate to what speedy_m says above about mankind being "aware of the inevitable 'apocalypse', the roles they will, who they will fight and how they will die, yet the do it anyway." The "Charlie on the MTA" bit. Mankind is on this path of destruction and can't get off.

I have no clue what's going on in the bridge. The stuff about elevating your mind (but not being able to stand the view) and the "hallucinate" line makes me think of drugs, but I don't know what that has to do with anything above.

The last verse ("drinking anti-knock") is likely from the point of view of a machine. Maybe an old computer or an old bomb. I don't know. "Anti-knock" is an additive in gasoline. If the narrator knows PL1, it might be a machine built in the 60s. The "ragnarok" line seems, to me, to indicate the narrator is a tool in or of destuction.

Or maybe it's all some weird relationship metaphor. Whatever. It's a great song. Back when you had to pay import prices for most singles (well, if you lived in America, that is), Frank's singles were always worth that $10, $12.
cellar_door Posted - 01/08/2007 : 11:31:38
"hmmm. very interesting. but those definitions still don't really help me understand what he is singing about, the general theme of the song."

I'd like to think that a lot of FB tunes can't be looked at as a whole in terms of themes. This one would be right up there. the bikini atol-atomize theme is one part. I think the whole

"I`m drinking antiknock
I do the ragnarock

Is just Frank having fun with words. Creating some kind of deviant guy. There's much more of a theme in the rest of the song, but I can't crack it really. I'd have to look a few things up.

speedy_m Posted - 01/08/2007 : 06:55:59
Interesting thing about the Rangnarok (according to the Wiki): the mythic beats that fight at the end of the world know their fate. They are aware of the inevitable "apocalypse", the roles they will, who they will fight and how they will die, yet the do it anyway. Kind of like man creaing the atom bomb, and thus giving us the power literally (as far as our species is concerned), end the world. We are aware of our fate, yet our "mantra", as it were, is that while this is technically possible, will never really happen. Our collective state of denial could (will?) lead to our inevitable end, prescribed by the fates, valiently fighting to the end like the Rangnarok.

maybe I'll kick it
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 01/08/2007 : 06:35:42
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Heh, why don't you use the Discopedia? All that stuff is in there.

http://www.frankblack.net/songs/Default.asp?menu=none&mode=release-song-details&releaseID=214&songID=152

If the Ragnarok is about the apocalypse - some final battle with the monsters (which the character in this song represents, though he denies it) to our mutual doom - bursting like you're bikini atoll is probably referencing the nuclear testing done there, PL/1 is a programming language that would've been used in doing those tests, doesn't it seem like it could be about blowing the snot out of ourselves?

Someone Posted - 01/08/2007 : 06:10:44
hmmm. very interesting. but those definitions still don't really help me understand what he is singing about, the general theme of the song.
Sam Posted - 01/06/2007 : 07:48:31
This is now one of my all time FB faves too, lyrics kick ass and great tune live / record version. The john peel session version is a stomper as well.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000