-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 That Burnt Out Rock and Roll

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Broken Face Posted - 10/26/2006 : 10:20:44
He was an aging rock and roll star
WIth a burnt out country beat
And the children who once cheered his name
Now have young 'ins at their own feet

And no one has time
For that burnt out rock and roll

But a rock and roll singer will never die
As long as the words to his songs are remembered
Without the burnt out tear that filled his eye

He build a white crystal canyon
To escape the rock revival shows
And to dream of a time
When just his music brought his highs and his lows

And no one has time

There was one last late nite TV show
The camera missed the gun in his jeans
He sang the songs and played the role
Then a bullet cut him clean

And no one has time

- - - -

I marvel at how FB turned this song, who's original performance sounds something like Homestar Runner singing with Liberace on the piano. It is truly hard to listen to the Gary Green version (which i bought online from the Smithsonian), yet the FB version rocks. How does he see the glimmer of a gem in this turd of a peformance? I'm not trying to be too critical here, but it took me three passes through the original to get the words, and i think i can never listen to the song again it irks me so much.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stevio10 Posted - 03/21/2017 : 06:16:00
Love this track from the Live in Nijmegen album, thought it was strange didn't make it into an album.

Miss the spontaneous covers these days, Real Big Prinze was ok but nothing special

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 01/11/2007 : 21:27:18
quote:
Originally posted by scruvs

quote:
Originally posted by Tiny Team Concerts

quote:
pka Frank Black

Very interesting.

I wonder if this means that Christmass will be the last record under that moniker, and that starting with the next release, Charles will be stepping out under his own name for the first time in his "pro" career?

--
Tiny Team Concerts
"Good music for nice people"

I suspect he was using it to mean "professionally," not "previously."

Hi, Frank.

I certainly hope so! Otherwise, I'm sending Charles a bill for rebranding the site and securing a new domain. :)

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
mixedbizz Posted - 01/11/2007 : 18:29:01
I just checked out Mr. Green's website. Wow. Interesting guy.

He has this tidbit about the song:

That Burnt Out Rock And Roll
A haunting piano ballad about the pain and hollowness Gary said he saw behind the eyes of Ricky Nelson and Jerry Lee Lewis. A song of suicide and the emptiness of fame.

This is the only recording of Gary playing the piano, though he composed at the piano as often as the guitar.
coastline Posted - 01/11/2007 : 14:39:29
Certainly that's "professionally." Like The Man has said, what looks better on the marquee: Charles Thompson or Frank Black? He's got a brand, and I'm guessing he'll stick with that for all times. But I've been wrong before. About half the time, actually.

And aren't you havin' fun?
scruvs Posted - 01/11/2007 : 13:37:36
quote:
Originally posted by Tiny Team Concerts

quote:
pka Frank Black

Very interesting.

I wonder if this means that Christmass will be the last record under that moniker, and that starting with the next release, Charles will be stepping out under his own name for the first time in his "pro" career?

--
Tiny Team Concerts

I suspect he was using it to mean "professionally," not "previously."

Hi, Frank.

Tiny Team Concerts Posted - 01/11/2007 : 11:35:34
quote:
pka Frank Black

Very interesting.

--
Tiny Team Concerts
coastline Posted - 01/11/2007 : 11:21:24
Good to see The Man's around again.

And aren't you havin' fun?
speedy_m Posted - 01/11/2007 : 10:58:20
Oh frnck, you sound like one of us plebians when confronting someone you respect and admire. Perhaps I'll have to change the thesis of my paper from "pompous ass" to "gracious ass". I kid! Except for the gracious part; you were extremely welcoming and kind as some of us uber-fans invaded your tour bus. Thanks very much for that experience, and for your kind offer to assist with my paper (it's done now, but thanks again). Let me just say to you and Mr. Green that I really love That Burnt Our Rock and Roll as well. I look forward to hearing it on an album proper.

Cheers!

maybe I'll kick it
vilainde Posted - 12/06/2006 : 07:24:11
This song reminds me a lot of Cracker's "Duty Free", that Brian once put on one of his mixes.
uh... that's all.

Denis

"Pablo Picasso was never called an asshole. Not like you."
vilainde Posted - 12/01/2006 : 08:27:46
PWNED!

Denis

Broken Face Posted - 12/01/2006 : 07:29:35
Sorry Mr. Green, while reading my comments they were perhaps a bit harsh. I was just marveling at how different the two versions were, and how i had a hard time hearing from your original where FB found certain chord changes/melodic pieces because the melody and chord structure in your version appear to be almost meterless. My apologies if my criticisms were insensitive.

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 12/01/2006 : 05:33:27
Heh, oops, Brian. :) I don't think he meant to imply you were unskilled, just that the recording itself wasn't so polished.

Thanks for stopping by, Gary, and for writing one of my favourite of the new songs that FB is playing these days. As Coastline said, this is definitely going to be a classic.

coastline Posted - 11/30/2006 : 21:57:51
Yowsers. You never know who's going to show up on this board. Gary Green, of all people! And using Johnny Cash's name for a handle. I love it.

Gary, thanks for your song. For us hardcore Frank Black fans, this has been one of the highlights of his recent work. There was a thread somewhere on the frankblack.net forum that discussed what makes a song a classic. I don't think we ever came to a consensus about how to define a classic, but I think this song ought to end up being one.

I could not find my honeycomb.
johnnycash Posted - 11/30/2006 : 21:23:02
I never thought I had a a "turd" of a performance. I DID think I had the limitations of Folkways' Records insistence on raw recordings and my own insistence that I was a songwriter and not a performer. Such is the curse (and blessing) of being on the same label as "Touch Typing For Beginners," "Hopi War Dances," and "Woody Guthrie and Sonny Terry Live."

Nonetheless, I think Frank Black's cover of my "Burnt Out Rock And Roll" is absolutely amazing. He understood where I was going with the song and he made it his own. He recognized the pain of the object of the song as well as my own pain and he pours himself into it.

Frank took my raw poetry…at best “demo” Smithsonian/Folkways vinyl … and polished it as a gut-twisting brilliant performance.

My sincere thanks to Frank Black and all of his friends/fans for understanding the song after all of these years. It is all a writer could ever ask.

Gary Green
coastline Posted - 11/15/2006 : 19:13:34
Hey, FB mentioned this thread on the radio the other day. To hear it, find the link in this other thread:

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17342

The Holiday Son Posted - 11/15/2006 : 12:26:48
Here's the link for the 30s sample from the original version :

http://media.smithsonianglobalsound.org/audio/audio/mp3.64.preview/folkways/FW05356/FW05356_09.64.mp3
coastline Posted - 11/07/2006 : 14:12:08
Sendspace is easier -- and, for a lot of reasons, better. Just go to sendspace.com, type in your e-mail address and, say, mine, choose the file you want to send, and hit "Upload File." When the upload is finished, you'll get an e-mail with a link to download the file, and so will I.

Technically, though, sending Elvis' songs is illegal. But you probably knew that.

freimanm Posted - 11/07/2006 : 13:46:14
I'd be glad to send whoever wants it Elvis' 'Song of the Shrimp'...I signed up for an account at yousendit but don't know how to post files to a website like people have been doing (it seems to need me to plug in a particular email address?)

If anyone wants to find it themselves I downloaded it from Limewire and I believe it is on the Girls! Girls! Girls! soundtrack/album
coastline Posted - 11/04/2006 : 18:51:06
Brian -- did you download the song from Smithsonian or order the disc? I'm having a hell of a time finding it on the download site (Smithsonian Global Sound), but I do see it on the Smithsonian Folkways Recordings site.

EDIT: I was persistent, and found it. If anyone else wants to find the song to download it from Smithsonian Global Sound, here's the link: http://www.smithsonianglobalsound.org/trackdetail.aspx?itemid=12856. It'll cost you $1.24 after some sort of 25-cent "transaction fee."

Oh, and it's completely awful. It has to be some sort of joke the way he butchered it. The words are all there and all, but he's put all this terrible piano noise over top of them, and he's sung them as absolutely badly as he can. I have NO IDEA how Frank Black found what he found in it.

IceCream Posted - 11/04/2006 : 18:28:03
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Brian and I were just talking last night about FB's knack for seeing what, to me, are completely buried elements of a song and polishing a tarnished rock artifact into a diamond. Anyone ever heard the original Evil Hearted You?

That's exactly the same way I feel about Johnny Cash's American Recordings. The original "Hurt" is insanely awful. Somehow, Cash made it into a good song.
coastline Posted - 11/04/2006 : 15:02:03
Where did you find the Elvis version? I've still never heard it, and I'd love to.

But enough hijacking this thread ... my two cents on That Burnt Out Rock And Roll: Frank said on the woxy.com interview that he's been obsessed with this song since he first heard it two weeks ago. He said he recorded it in Houston, even without having really learned it yet. I've gotta say, I'm just as obsessed with it. What a gem. It's like a bookend to Foreigner's Juke Box Hero -- the once-young guitar hero is now at the end of the line. I think I'll download the original -- I'm so curious how bad it is.

freimanm Posted - 11/04/2006 : 13:53:17
Haven't heard the Townes Van Zant cover of song of the shrimp, but our of curiosity downloaded Elvis' version when Honeycomb came out...It sounds like a hawaiian 'aloha' slow song, nothing like Frank's version...for a few moments I wasn't sure if I even downloaded the right song until I heard the words!
FranknWeezer Posted - 11/01/2006 : 07:46:33
Re FB's version of That Burnt Out Rock 'n Roll, you can hear it as the second track here:
http://www.woxy.com/music/loungeacts/
That entire acoustic performance is well worth the listen.
-FranknWeezer
coastline Posted - 10/30/2006 : 05:07:16
I'll second that. And I really love the Bottle Rockets version, too. Both are available from iTunes.

When do I get my first bee, damnit?
FranknWeezer Posted - 10/29/2006 : 21:25:25
A little off topic, but if you can get your hands on Doug Sahm's Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day, it's worth the listen. That's a case where the original was a good one.
-FranknWeezer
Broken Face Posted - 10/29/2006 : 14:29:11
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Has anybody here heard the original Song of the Shrimp? I often wonder how it compares to FB's version. I've read that even he hasn't heard Elvis' version, but took his from someone else's cover that he heard live. (Can't remember the name right now.)

Townes Van Zant

coastline Posted - 10/28/2006 : 19:27:51
Has anybody here heard the original Song of the Shrimp? I often wonder how it compares to FB's version. I've read that even he hasn't heard Elvis' version, but took his from someone else's cover that he heard live. (Can't remember the name right now.)

floop Posted - 10/28/2006 : 10:55:04
quote:
Originally posted by Erebus

quote:
Originally posted by floop

i dig all of his covers, but i think Hang On To Your Ego is the one exception of the covering being better than the o.g.

I played that HOTYE ep for my one local Frank convert and he asked how the Hang single did. Dropped like a stone I said and we nodded. He's a long-suffering Mike Oldfield man.

i remember when they were playing that on the radio when FB came out and wondering why in the fuck, of all the songs on that album, they would attempt to push that one.

at least that's what your mom said
Sam Posted - 10/28/2006 : 09:47:42
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Looking forward to hearing that burnt rock n roll tune.

Yes FB picks great covers, really love "somethings i can't get used to". Really energetic song. Plus "do nothing" is great kinda 3 piece punk vibe.

Hadn't thought of "evil hearted you" in ages, love that song. Not to mention "cecilia ann" which is a stormer.

I recently heard the original 666 by larry norman thanks to this kick ass site, and it blew me away. I listened to it 3 times in a row and love the arrangement and vocals. But i love the FB and C's version from their s/t album too.

The list of his great covers is long, ssmvg, breathless, black rider, duke of earl, better things etc etc

Where is the Larry Norman original available? I'd love to hear it.

maybe I'll kick it

Hi Speedy,

Send me your mail address and i'll email it.
speedy_m Posted - 10/27/2006 : 12:30:27
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Yes FB picks great covers, really love "somethings i can't get used to". Really energetic song. Plus "do nothing" is great kinda 3 piece punk vibe.

Hadn't thought of "evil hearted you" in ages, love that song. Not to mention "cecilia ann" which is a stormer.

I recently heard the original 666 by larry norman thanks to this kick ass site, and it blew me away. I listened to it 3 times in a row and love the arrangement and vocals. But i love the FB and C's version from their s/t album too.

The list of his great covers is long, ssmvg, breathless, black rider, duke of earl, better things etc etc

Where is the Larry Norman original available? I'd love to hear it.

maybe I'll kick it
Erebus Posted - 10/27/2006 : 11:43:28
quote:
Originally posted by floop

i dig all of his covers, but i think Hang On To Your Ego is the one exception of the covering being better than the o.g.

I played that HOTYE ep for my one local Frank convert and he asked how the Hang single did. Dropped like a stone I said and we nodded. He's a long-suffering Mike Oldfield man.

Sam Posted - 10/27/2006 : 07:18:55

The Holiday Son Posted - 10/27/2006 : 07:05:01
Mmmm, any chance it might surface elsewhere (wink wink nudge nudge !) ?
fbc Posted - 10/27/2006 : 02:01:51
oui, my inbox.
The Holiday Son Posted - 10/26/2006 : 20:33:55
Was the boot posted somewhere ?
Cause if it was, I completely missed it !

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000