-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black -- Live!
 Oct. 7th, 2006 - Memphis, TN

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vilainde Posted - 09/01/2006 : 02:27:40
http://www.newdaisy.com/

Tickets requests, setlists, reviews... please post here.

Denis

35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 10/10/2006 : 15:39:46
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

but less of the "of the Pixies" ;)

True, didn't notice that, though I suppose if it helps attract new people then great. I don't know how many people would see that that weren't already closely inspecting the sign because it said Frank Black in the first place, but...

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
scruvs Posted - 10/10/2006 : 15:29:47
quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

quote:
Originally posted by Miss Thing

all I can say is that Old Man In A Coffee Can's assessment of my state of "jonesin'" is fairly accurate right now

"Jonesin'"? Could anyone translate, please?

-----
Blackolero le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français

The top two definitions from urbandictionary.com (although posting these might introduce new words that will need to be defined):

1. Jonesin
117 up, 7 down

A word used to describe an intense craving for a drug. Comes from Great Jones Street in New York City, between Broadway and Lafayette Street, a former junkie hangout.

I'm jonesin' for some coke

1. jonesing
214 up, 53 down

to have a strong need, desire, or craving for something.
see also: jones

Sheeeit beeeitch after smokin' dat weed I'm jonesing for some grub!

Shaniqua is mad jonesing for Rasheed, dat bitch follow him around everywhere.

fbc Posted - 10/10/2006 : 09:08:13
but less of the "of the Pixies" ;)
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 10/10/2006 : 07:29:39
quote:
Originally posted by Tiny Team Concerts

That Memphis gig poster looks great.

Here's a gander at the limited-edition posters we've done for the Savannah show. They're printed beautifully on a very thick, textured cream-colored cardstock with a soft matte finish.

The bumblebee's obviously a Honeycomb/Queen Of Love reference, and though it might be hard to see in this image, the background is made up of a bunch of heiroglyphic-style drawings which allude to some of Frank's lyrics as well as to a lot of Jainist mythology and religious symbolism.

Our designer did a really nice job. There are less than 50 of these that were printed which we held back and did ot put up. We'll have them for sale (and hopefully for signing) at the gig on October 15.

We still have advance tickets available through our website (www.tinyteamconcerts.info), but we'll be shutting down online sales this Thursday afternoon at the latest and consolidating all the remaining tickets at our local outlets.

So, if anyone was planning on making the drive to beautiful Savannah for this show, I'd go ahead and order a ticket online now, or there's no guarantee you'll be able to get in the night of the gig.

Thanks!

--
Tiny Team Concerts
"Good music for nice people"

This looks quite nice indeed, a pat on the back to your designer and you guys for knowing enough to create a poster like this as well as being what I would consider on the ball as far as promoting goes. We should be so lucky as to have promoters like you up here.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Frog in the Sand Posted - 10/10/2006 : 06:54:32
Thanks Mr. Czar.

"Sheeeit beeeitch after smokin' dat weed I'm jonesing for some grub!"

-----
BLACKOLERO le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
Czar Posted - 10/10/2006 : 06:37:59
Mr. Grenouille ensablée: I found this on the internets: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jonesing
Frog in the Sand Posted - 10/10/2006 : 06:15:08
Oh.

Ok.

Emmm.

By the way Kelly, thanks for your pics--I stole one of 'em for my FB site :)

-----
BLACKOLERO le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
kfs Posted - 10/10/2006 : 06:05:36
Wants something very badly...
Czar Posted - 10/10/2006 : 06:03:11
Same here, this expression escapes me.
Frog in the Sand Posted - 10/10/2006 : 05:59:02

quote:

all I can say is that Old Man In A Coffee Can's assessment of my state of "jonesin'" is fairly accurate right now

"Jonesin'"? Could anyone translate, please?

-----
Blackolero le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
two reelers Posted - 10/10/2006 : 03:20:40
TEN PERCENTER ! HOLY C*********G CHRIST !!

man, an european tour would be so great...

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
scruvs Posted - 10/09/2006 : 21:41:33
quote:
Originally posted by ejcampbell

Don't know about that, but judge for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixh5nRgonf0

That's sick. Solo, I liked it better on the tele than acoustic, and it's that much better with the band. The drums behind "so sweeeeeeeeet honey," is good stuff. Scream it, Frank!

Thanks for sharing the video.

Apesy Posted - 10/09/2006 : 21:34:52
You seriously think $10 is too much for such a quality, limited edition poster?

-=Apesy
FranknWeezer Posted - 10/09/2006 : 19:44:28
Yeah I really liked the Memphis gig poster, too. When I walked up to buy it, though, I was a little put off by the fact that they charged $10 for it. But hey, they had supply, and anything with "Frank Black" on it is in demand for me.
By the way, TTC, do you guys have to show it to Charles or his management and get approval before running the final copy and placing it for sale at the venue? Does he have any say in whether or not he approves of the content?
-FranknWeezer
Tiny Team Concerts Posted - 10/09/2006 : 18:56:18
That Memphis gig poster looks great.

Here's a gander at the limited-edition posters we've done for the Savannah show. They're printed beautifully on a very thick, textured cream-colored cardstock with a soft matte finish.

The bumblebee's obviously a Honeycomb/Queen Of Love reference, and though it might be hard to see in this image, the background is made up of a bunch of heiroglyphic-style drawings which allude to some of Frank's lyrics as well as to a lot of Jainist mythology and religious symbolism.

Our designer did a really nice job. There are less than 50 of these that were printed which we held back and did ot put up. We'll have them for sale (and hopefully for signing) at the gig on October 15.

We still have advance tickets available through our website (www.tinyteamconcerts.info), but we'll be shutting down online sales this Thursday afternoon at the latest and consolidating all the remaining tickets at our local outlets.

So, if anyone was planning on making the drive to beautiful Savannah for this show, I'd go ahead and order a ticket online now, or there's no guarantee you'll be able to get in the night of the gig.

Thanks!

--
Tiny Team Concerts
"Good music for nice people"
OldManInaCoffeeCan Posted - 10/09/2006 : 10:48:31
quote:

I just watched the You Tube snippet of Dead Man's Curve, and all I can say is that Old Man In A Coffee Can's assessment of my state of "jonesin'" is fairly accurate right now

Yep, I always missed mine whenever we were apart and now I just miss the goodtimes, huh...(Sounds like a country song there doesn't)

While waiting for "Schwarma", I joined the "Cult of System of a Down", Huh...
OldManInaCoffeeCan Posted - 10/09/2006 : 09:09:52
Yo Ryan, thanks man, 'preciate you thinking of me and passing on the picture I took of The Man.

Wow, that gig poster looks really cool. He used the fmrm promo posters for his gig poster here, not nearly as interesting looking as the Memphis one, though.

So, how did he make himself available to meet and greet/sign autographs/chat? I'm telling you,
he's a generous sonofabitch, isn't he!

That's funny 'bout EDF honestly telling you he didn't know what you were talking about.

Hey man, I enjoyed your review. Don't ever lose the honesty.

While waiting for "Schwarma", I joined the "Cult of System of a Down", Huh...
FranknWeezer Posted - 10/09/2006 : 08:41:39
You're absolutely right about AATW. I believe that was actually the one they hadn't yet practiced together and he recommended a bathroom break.
-FranknWeezer
shakibmahavari Posted - 10/09/2006 : 08:36:17
For the nitpicky guys like myself, here's the complete setlist:

1. Ten Percenter
2. Remake/Remodel
3. Living on Soul
4. Suffering
5. My Terrible Ways
6. Dog Gone
7. Gyaneshwar
8. Horrible Day
9. Bullet
10.I Burn Today
11.Pittsburgh (I'm Not Dead)
12.All Around the World (Needle in my Arm)
13.Raiderman
14.Calistan
15.I'll Be Blue
16.The Swimmer
17.Johnny Barleycorn
18.Nadine
20.Dead Man's Curve
----
21. Sing For Joy
FranknWeezer Posted - 10/09/2006 : 07:52:04
A guy...you're partly correct. Before Gyaneshwar, he said, "Here's another chance for a bathroom break." The first time was before My Terrible Ways.
-FranknWeezer
aguyinarover Posted - 10/09/2006 : 07:30:26
The Bathroom break comment actually came right before Gyaneshwar.

Does anyone have the lyrics to this?
Ziggy Posted - 10/09/2006 : 00:57:14
Yeah, 'Gyaneshwar' seems like an excellent song.
Llamadance Posted - 10/08/2006 : 23:57:40
quote:
Originally posted by FranknWeezer

And here are my pictures (feel free to imbed these on this page if you know how...I couldn't make it work):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24276053@N00/

-FranknWeezer

FranknWeezer, could you upload those pics to the FB.net photogallery please, then I can process them. Thanks.

There's a sticky near the top of this forum that gives info on how to and stuff.

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Erebus Posted - 10/08/2006 : 23:16:11
quote:
Originally posted by FranknWeezer
I'll close by saying that there are few things in life I value as much as the music of Frank Black, and it's a tough ticket for him to live up to the way I play out in my head how "I" would most like his shows to be. I've seen him now live 5 times since '94, which is no small feat for a guy who lives in Jackson, Mississippi (not exactly Guitar Town). In my book, even though the show was not how I would have scripted it, I had a blast, and FB can just about do no wrong.

-FranknWeezer

Great post guy, just great! I’m also somebody who has to trek a bit to get there. As I’ve posted elsewhere, I’ve just now heard a boot of the new band, albeit as mere opener, and want to hear more and hopefully will. Love the Ferry cover, the Raiderman, the Dead Man’s Curve, the starker Nadine. Feldman deserves to know how he’s regarded, good on you. And, by an ancient way, I passed through Jackson, at 2 a.m. on an anonymous night on a grunt-invested bus from South Carolina to Dallas, about 22 years ago. Smoked a cig in the dark at your lonely bus station. Enjoyed it. Frank was about eighteen then, still dreaming I suppose. Thank you.

coastline Posted - 10/08/2006 : 21:34:58
Oh, and by the way, thanks a million, FnW, for the fantastic review and the video clips. Very much appreciated.

I was all dressed in black / She was all dressed up in black.
coastline Posted - 10/08/2006 : 21:28:30
I think "Gyaneshwar" sounds like a Pixies song. The lady of the house said the same.

I was all dressed in black / She was all dressed up in black.
Apesy Posted - 10/08/2006 : 21:11:17
Jesus Christ, does "Gyaneshwar" ever sound awesome.

The 24th can't come soon enough.

-=Apesy
floop Posted - 10/08/2006 : 20:31:46
i didn't know Gandalf played drums

at least that's what your mom said
FranknWeezer Posted - 10/08/2006 : 20:21:57
And here are my pictures (feel free to imbed these on this page if you know how...I couldn't make it work):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24276053@N00/

-FranknWeezer
FranknWeezer Posted - 10/08/2006 : 19:54:53
Here are the YouTube clips (sorry they're maddeningly short...blame my crap camera, but at least they're something to whet your appetite for FB!):
1. Dog Gone (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBm5ebnYcHc
2. Dog Gone (part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0-lha6yFWs
3. (Do What You Want) Gyaneshwar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iIO2UDVIvQ
4. Calistan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83PFMt5tmrE
Enjoy!
-FranknWeezer
FranknWeezer Posted - 10/08/2006 : 19:23:16
Alright, here I am back to complete my review.

I must say while I'm critical of my favorite rocker of all time, there is still none better. The show did have its high points. Ten Percenter as the opener was right on target. Loved it live so much better than I ever did on s/t. Remake/Remodel was really good...always nice to have a tasty B-Side treat. Of the slower numbers, I enjoyed Dog Gone, I Burn Today, I'll Be Blue and Sing for Joy. Of the more upbeat numbers, I most enjoyed Calistan (my favorite of the night), Johnny Barleycorn and Dead Man's Curve. JB was much better live than on the album.

I guess most of my slight disappointment came from there being too many laid back numbers that would have worked better in a smaller, less "concert-like" setting that were just tough to appreciate in a setup like the New Daisy. The set dragged for awhile, and you can see where when you check out the setlist.

Again, I'm just being brutally honest and not ripping The Man whatsoever. I just hated I couldn't have made the 6 hour trip to NashVegas to see more of his reportoire including so many more of the Cats. Then again, like many of us, I still badly miss los catolicos. Badly.

Charles was very nice to speak with, as usual, after the show. We recounted having met back while I was in college when I got the rare chance to spend a great deal of time with him after he finished loading in his own gear. That one was one for the ages, and I guess each of these shows thereafter is colored by the fact that Jan 29 1999 will likely never be topped...but so be it.

Setlist follows:
Ten Percenter (just WOW)
Remake/Remodel
Living on Soul
Suffering (never liked it on FBC's s/t...still don't care for it)
My Terrible Ways (if I recall correctly he recommended the band take a bathroom break here b/c they hadn't practiced this with him prior...they did just fine, though)
Dog Gone
Beautiful Day/Horrible Day
Bullet (really missed the album sound on lead here, but Jarvis did fine)
I Burn Today
I'm Not Dead (I'm in Pittsburgh)
Do What You Want Gyaneshwar (so far I like what I hear from this one but don't have a clue what it's about)
Raiderman
Calistan (how can you top him dusting off this old FB solo gem?
I'll Be Blue
The Swimmer
Johnny Barleycorn (the band really got into the bg vocals on this one...loved it)
Nadine (I thought Block was excellent on drums here)
Six sixty six (revved up version, not the slow FB solo one)
Deadman's Curve (as you saw from the above clip, rocked)
-Encore- (semi-encore, really...never left the stage)
Sing for Joy

As is par for the course, I clammed up and didn't get to ask FB anything I really wanted to like if he understands SFDD is the greatest FB solo song of all time and he badly needs to pick up the liner notes to DITS and learn the lyrics so he can dust that one off live for his army... I did get to chat w/ EDF for a bit while waiting for the swarm to leave FB alone for a second (I don't really like to stick my pen and stuff in anybody's face). He said FB's eyeliner is more a creature of FB thinking it makes him look like Marlin Brando than anything else...said Miss Thing did't put him up to it, either ;-) Asked EDF if he still remembered how to play Professor's Theme on keys (used to open shows with it back in '93 or '94) and he said he honestly couldn't recall what I was talking about. He asked me what it was the theme song to, and I mistakenly said NARC, instead of One Step Beyond, which I believe was correct. Anyways, EDF was I think just surprised somebody knew who he was...nice guy by the way.

Forgot to tell OMIACC that prior to my haste to get to the concert, I'd planned to print out a couple of his pics from Grimey's and get them signed to send back to him. Of course, and I shouldn't even be mentioning this, I waited so long to get around to it that I couldn't get the printer to print on anything but regular paper (it was my mother in law's machine and I had no help with it at the time), so I printed out the big pic of him w/ guitar in one hand and PBR bottle in the other and took it to get signed. After the show, I ended up buying a gig poster that he signed for me, so I just gave him the printed pic since he remarked on the Grimey's thread that he liked it. So sorry Richard, but at least he has your work in hand.

I'll close by saying that there are few things in life I value as much as the music of Frank Black, and it's a tough ticket for him to live up to the way I play out in my head how "I" would most like his shows to be. I've seen him now live 5 times since '94, which is no small feat for a guy who lives in Jackson, Mississippi (not exactly Guitar Town). In my book, even though the show was not how I would have scripted it, I had a blast, and FB can just about do no wrong.

-FranknWeezer

p.s. YouTube clips and pics are in my posts below- FnW
Miss Thing Posted - 10/08/2006 : 17:27:34
I just watched the You Tube snippet of Dead Man's Curve, and all I can say is that Old Man In A Coffee Can's assessment of my state of "jonesin'" is fairly accurate right now
vilainde Posted - 10/08/2006 : 14:08:57
Freaking amazing video. Thanks.

Denis

fbc Posted - 10/08/2006 : 13:23:48
quote:
Originally posted by ejcampbell

Don't know about that, but judge for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixh5nRgonf0

This is something special. Thanks for sharing it.
Jason Posted - 10/08/2006 : 11:17:28
Another big thanks for the video. I'm seeing Frank tomorrow night (for the first time in 3-1/2 years, in a non-Pixies setting) and am practically popping my top in anticipation. That video was a swell appetizer.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000