-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Your Frank Black cover song wishlist

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
s_wrenn Posted - 05/13/2006 : 10:21:14
{I don't know a thread with this topic has already been created but...}

Frank has done a fair amount of cover songs over the years.
But what song would you love to hear covered by Frank?

I've got it stuck in my head that he'd do an excellent version of "Cars" by Gary Numan

http://myspace.com/seanwrenn
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
coastline Posted - 10/06/2019 : 05:51:37
Leonard Cohen's "Chelsea Hotel No. 2"

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
moksha23x Posted - 07/10/2010 : 15:02:57

"Roadrunner (Once)" by Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers
Mickey Posted - 10/25/2007 : 10:28:07
quote:
Originally posted by mikaelp75

I think Frank would blow Roky Erickson's If You Have Ghosts out of the proverbial ball park.

There are a lot of Roky songs he would be great with, now that you mention it. Bloody Hammer, Starry Eyes, Don't Shake Me Lucifer.

Also, it's not hard to imagine Devo's B Stiff alongside the Bluefinger material.

-Mickey
jamblack Posted - 10/24/2007 : 17:05:38
clockout by Devo
schlegl Posted - 10/24/2007 : 15:22:15
i was listening to the dark of the sun by tom petty and the heartbreakers today and something about it just screamed frank black and the catholics
ccuadros Posted - 10/24/2007 : 06:13:35
Rock Music, from a group called Pixies
mixedbizz Posted - 10/24/2007 : 01:58:37
quote:
Originally posted by MHokkane

Singing "Poncho and Lefty" as a duet with Reid Paley!!!!

that's a novel thought.
mixedbizz Posted - 10/24/2007 : 01:57:41
four pages of nonsense.

when doves cry.

obviously.
hammerhands Posted - 10/23/2007 : 22:05:22
I heard Try Walking Away by Murray McLauchlan the other day, it's a really cool song that I had forgotten all about.
treetime Posted - 08/29/2007 : 21:15:00
Guns N' Roses, Don't You Cry.
phys Posted - 08/29/2007 : 02:45:43
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

Look out phys. CD mule train coming over the Alps. Get on little doggie.

yes it's said they reached the Karawanks already!

there is a hole for every soul
Triakel Posted - 08/28/2007 : 17:01:39
A side? Peter Paul and Mary's "Peter Paul and Mary" LP

B side? Husker Du's "Zen Arcade" LP

Bonus disc? After careful consideration of my teenaged metal collection, I'd say Accept's "Balls to the Wall." A little Billy Ocean might be refreshing, as well. "Caribbean Queen" anyone?

OK, I'm kidding about the bonus disc (a little). But a PP&M/Husker's effort ... well, that should be the next Pixies album. Can't agree on new material? Do covers!
houstonguthrie Posted - 08/12/2007 : 08:43:34
for me it would be "Watch That Man" by Bowie -

when I heard this tune it was the first time I heard a link between Frank and Bowie musically. I think I had heard somewhere that Frank either mentioned Bowie as an influence or made some other favorable reference to him and I thought, "really??? Bowie??". I really didn't get it - but then again I'll confess I'm not steeped in Bowie knowledge or anything.

but in "Watch That Man" I can hear a definite resemblance. it has a Rolling Stones riff that's not unlike some of the Stonesy riffs Frank has used
s_wrenn Posted - 08/11/2007 : 07:43:34
Wild Is The Wind - David Bowie

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Waiting for Godot Posted - 04/10/2007 : 00:57:48
Soul Revival - Johnny Diesel & Injectors. Song of sorrow, loud, has energy, plenty of opportunities to scream...

--

Soaked my boots and my attributes, began to diminish
OLDMANOTY Posted - 04/09/2007 : 14:18:33
'Uncomplicated'by Elvis Costello would suit him down to the ground I think.
langdonboom Posted - 04/02/2007 : 21:10:21
quote:
Originally posted by MHokkane

Seconded! Any actual Townes Van Zant song would be great to hear him do.
two reelers Posted - 03/26/2007 : 07:53:53
"message in a bottle" - in the style of gouge away, only faster. he would do a good screamin (like on d=r times t) on that one.

and one of the "faster songs" of souled american. like soldiers joy (but this is cover itself).

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
gapu Posted - 03/26/2007 : 06:35:44
i'd love to hear "32 down on the robert mackenzie" by Paul Gross. i think that'd be a good choice for frank, as it's very countryesque and it has a touch of rock music too...
MHokkane Posted - 03/22/2007 : 18:25:00
johnnyribcage Posted - 03/22/2007 : 15:37:24
I saw this topic and for some reason "Very Ape" from Nirvana's In Utero popped into my head. That's another on of Kurt's Pixies wanna be songs. Maybe that's why I thought of it. I bet Frank could kill that song if he wanted to. Maybe I'm just nuts though, I haven't listened to In Utero for a year or two.
cassandra is Posted - 03/22/2007 : 02:58:02
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

My band in college covered "Creep", but we played it double speed and called it "Jeep".

"I'm a Jeep...." - who can guess the next line?

========
jeffamerica
========

-He played piano really fuckin' good.

ah ah ah!

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Jefrey Posted - 03/22/2007 : 01:59:09
My band in college covered "Creep", but we played it double speed and called it "Jeep".

"I'm a Jeep...." - who can guess the next line?

========
jeffamerica
========

-He played piano really fuckin' good.
cassandra is Posted - 03/22/2007 : 01:08:54
Last night I dreamt that Frank was covering Radiohead's "Creep" (don't laugh), in a slow and "country" way, alone with his guitar and his deep low voice. That was awsesome.

pas de bras pas de chocolat
trobrianders Posted - 03/18/2007 : 03:06:27
Charles should cover a Bjork song. The two have much in common. Both started around 1987-8. Both sing with passion about nature, environment, technology and space and both use the 'scream' to astonishing effect. She's got to be his closest contemporary. He should cover the song Tidal Wave.

"And I can't help it
I'm exploding again
I am calling weather station NOMAD
And satellite NIMBUS
Here comes the Tidal Wave"

But Delicious Demon has the Catholics written all over it.

SPEEDYMARIEGONZALES Posted - 03/16/2007 : 11:30:38
Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner. by Warren Zevon
Grotesque Posted - 03/16/2007 : 11:17:12
quote:
Originally posted by duplicatedman

I would love to hear the man do "Shangri-La" by The Kinks.

I think that song is one of their greatest ever and Frank's vocal style would simply break your heart on it. He could pull it of solo acoustic but I'd love to see him actually put a lot of work coming up with an arrangement for it as well. The way the song build towards the end could be incredle in the hand and screams of FB.

I actually think Frank could do a marvelous job on a lot of the kinks stuff. He could cover the entire Village Green album and it would be amazing. FB, the Pixies and The Kinks are similar in a lot of ways. The Kinks, like the Pixies and FB, imo are one of the most underrated groups ever and they often sing about subjects that are off the beaten track. They experiment with a lot of different styles and yet always manage to make catchy poppy songs despite being somewhat unusual.

Shangri-la would be very exciting, cos the song is not very well known from the masses. But there is a lot of work there... not an easy one to cover. EDF could do all sorts of synth sounds to replace the horns and other orchestral stuff.
duplicatedman Posted - 03/16/2007 : 07:49:42
I would love to hear the man do "Shangri-La" by The Kinks.

I think that song is one of their greatest ever and Frank's vocal style would simply break your heart on it. He could pull it of solo acoustic but I'd love to see him actually put a lot of work coming up with an arrangement for it as well. The way the song build towards the end could be incredle in the hand and screams of FB.

I actually think Frank could do a marvelous job on a lot of the kinks stuff. He could cover the entire Village Green album and it would be amazing. FB, the Pixies and The Kinks are similar in a lot of ways. The Kinks, like the Pixies and FB, imo are one of the most underrated groups ever and they often sing about subjects that are off the beaten track. They experiment with a lot of different styles and yet always manage to make catchy poppy songs despite being somewhat unusual.
trobrianders Posted - 03/16/2007 : 03:21:45
Nirvana covered The Man Who Sold The World, Bowie covered Cactus so I guess it's Charles' turn to cover Nirvana. Smells like pop irony.

The Guy From Wonderland Posted - 03/15/2007 : 22:10:08
somethine else by eddie cochran. love to see him take a classic rockabilly song and just rock it out ot maybe I'm not like everybody else by the Kinks

You Ain't Me
mikaelp75 Posted - 03/10/2007 : 03:09:30
Nice surprise to see so many Richard Thompson suggestions.

(It wouldn't be half bad if Pixies would open the Australian dates with a Charles/Kim duet of Wall Of Death.)
Luis Bunuel Posted - 03/10/2007 : 01:10:46
I think it would be great if he did something by Richard Thompson, maybe "Calvary Cross" from I want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

And how 'bout Lou Reed's "A Gift"? I think it would be great to hear FB crooning "I'm just a gift to the women of this world".

Maybe the Modern Lovers song "Hospital" would be a good fit too.

trobrianders Posted - 03/09/2007 : 12:07:31
Look out phys. CD mule train coming over the Alps. Get on little doggie.

Grotesque Posted - 03/09/2007 : 08:46:23
Hey did FB ever picked a song from that list ?
I guess somebody who covers a song like "That burnt out Rock'n'roll" likes to makes his own special selection !
Grotesque Posted - 03/09/2007 : 08:39:49
Yes and quite underrated nowaydays. I love talking heads too but they got much more attention from the disco punk revivals (raptures and co) than the stranglers, who where closer to that sound with The Raven and maybe Feline.
Maybe the problem with the stranglers is all the music they did after Feline.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000