-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 RSS Feed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
marcusb Posted - 02/08/2006 : 14:28:16
Any chance we can get an RSS feed for News and maybe RSS feeds of the forums?
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dave Noisy Posted - 04/12/2006 : 10:43:15
Kick ass job on the site RSS Dean!!

"Live life like you're gonna die...because you are." - William Shatner, You'll Have Time / Has Been
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 04/04/2006 : 18:24:34
Actually, something grabbing news feeds from other sources is a great idea for the site, but that's somewhat complicated and I have a zillion things to do already. So, in short, good idea, but I need help.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
chineselover Posted - 04/04/2006 : 17:40:42
I notice that if you go to Google pixies news http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=us&ie=ascii&q=pixies
that they also have an RSS feed... how about that sort of live new into a section on the site... just a small corner where the lastest pixie news on google comes up
marcusb Posted - 03/29/2006 : 18:53:03
hey thanks for the feed :)! frankblack.net is now on my google homepage.. awesome! I'd definitely do a general forum feed.. with the newest posted stuff coming up first..

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/29/2006 : 09:58:41
I think you're underrating it...

Glad it's working though.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Cheeseman1000 Posted - 03/29/2006 : 09:16:03
It works, it's like, totally the most exciting thing in the world and stuff. Well, almost.

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/29/2006 : 06:52:51
Sorry, meant more planning to use then anything. Just deciding which part of the site to focus the day's energy. Think I'll leave the forum feed for consideration later, but there's no way for me to know if the feed is being subscribed to or not at the moment.

I'm probably going to put a small release together about the Doolittle book. So you'll get to test it. :)

Cheeseman1000 Posted - 03/29/2006 : 06:41:20
I've subscribed, but give it a chance, there hasn't been any news in the few hours has there?

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/29/2006 : 06:38:36
So, the question is, is anyone using the news feed, and is it even worth my time to do a forum feed? How would people use it? The last thing we need is something that negatively impacts forum traffic, it's already slow around here...

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/28/2006 : 22:14:25
... and that's been fixed. whew.

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/28/2006 : 21:08:03
For example... it doesn't appear to work with Firefox's Live Bookmark feature. Could be because I generate this file on the fly when it is called, but this will take yet more work. Let me know if you have any success with it, too.

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/28/2006 : 20:59:32
Alright, so I've put a news feed on there. Just point your aggregator at http://www.frankblack.net/rss.asp

I use Google which doesn't do the full text previews, but please let me know if you have any problems or things that could be improved. I should have a little RSS icon on the main page soon...

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/14/2006 : 12:17:57
Heh, yeah, we had it done by then but not approved so I had to throw you off the scent. Well done. :)

Visiting Sasquatch Posted - 02/14/2006 : 12:10:34
So I take it that was a yes for podcasts? ;)
Dave Noisy Posted - 02/13/2006 : 23:32:13
Maybe just new threads...i agree it would be rather insane.

Maybe it's intended for those really, slow Forums, that update a few times a week..

"Live life like you're gonna die...because you are." - William Shatner, You'll Have Time / Has Been
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/11/2006 : 10:48:55
Not a clue. I'm not sure how it would work on a thread basis. At all. At least for the moment.

Cheeseman1000 Posted - 02/11/2006 : 08:43:27
Or noteworthy, at least.
What would be the logistics of putting an RSS feed on each thread, like a subscription where you're emailed every time it's updated, but more convenient?

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/11/2006 : 08:38:58
Ha, yeah, we'll just ask Frank to do more newsworthy stuff.

Cheeseman1000 Posted - 02/11/2006 : 03:02:00
I do, but I don't know how you'd pull off feeding the forums - strikes me it's so busy it would be overwhelming. Doing a feed for the news would be good, but you'd have to promise to update it more regularly...

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/10/2006 : 15:08:44
<puts up hand>

Dave Noisy Posted - 02/10/2006 : 15:06:07
I'm starting to familiarize myself with RSS, so it's a possibility.. I'm not sure of any simple methods for ASP/SQL...seems like setting it up is a real task...defeating the 'RS' in RSS.

How many people here actually use RSS in some capacity? (ie, a reader, Firefox, or Google's customized home page, etc..?)

Visiting Sasquatch Posted - 02/09/2006 : 21:26:26
Aww...comon...wouldnt it be great to get special guests every week, like Frank Black, Catholics, Pixies, etc...
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/09/2006 : 18:25:08
Heh, Dave just doesn't moderate anymore, he's still at the back end doing stuff.

And nope, no idea how we'd pull that off. :)

Visiting Sasquatch Posted - 02/09/2006 : 18:11:14
While you're at it, have you guys considered a podcast made up of FrankBlack.net forum regulars? That would be neat...the audible version of the forums!
BLT Posted - 02/09/2006 : 16:22:40
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Great, thanks for the link, I'll start looking at that with Dave later this week.

Dave who? Lee Roth? Give my regards to Diamond Dave.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/09/2006 : 09:30:35
Great, thanks for the link, I'll start looking at that with Dave later this week. We've got another project at a critical point right now.

The question would be, one global FB.net feed, one per forum plus a news feed, or a forum feed and a news feed. Would new threads be in the feed or new posts. How would that work. Some definite thinking on it to do. Appreciate the link though, and feel free to throw in some suggestions, anyone using rss feeds currently.

marcusb Posted - 02/08/2006 : 16:32:53
This may be of interest: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56247&SearchTerms=rss
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/08/2006 : 14:55:43
Very prescient.

I have no idea how we'd do that for the forums (I've thought about this), but I've been tossing around the idea of RSS news for a while. In fact, I spent a bit of time earlier today playing around with something for our main page. Just a matter of time now.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000