-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Class Project

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/21/2006 : 09:11:25
OK, we're working on a new interface for the Song DB. It won't be done for a while, but one of the things I need it to have as many cover images as possible.

Visit the song db:
http://www.frankblack.net/songs/db.asp

If you see one missing, please send me a copy.

However, this is not the class project. I'm looking to get lyrics to all the songs we have in there, and there are a surprising amount missing. I'm trying to do one a day, and if even a few of you could help with that, they'd all have lyrics in no time. :)

So, here are a few that are missing lyrics to get you started (for the complete list, browse the db:

One More Road:

Show Me Your Tears
Don't Clip Your Wings
Preacher's Daughter
Valley of Our Hope (My project for today)
A Dab'll Do Ya
Ludwigshaffen
Living On Soul (What the heck, I'll do this one too)

Misc
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Ballad of Johnny Horton

...etc...

Mostly b-sides, and some already have a guitar tab so presumably you just have to take the tabelature out and post it. If you don't feel like it, no problem, I'm sure between Tre and I we'll get to them all sooner or later...

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fbc Posted - 07/08/2006 : 05:14:05
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Even if I don't reply doesn't mean it's unacknowledged!
It's funny you say that, because

***missing from discopedia***

I know people are busy and stuff, but I thought I'd mention 'Run' and it's associated quotes.

Also, Frank guest appers on Graham Parker's (Piss & Vinegar fame) 'Live Cuts From Somewhere'. It's a track called 'Sheena is a Punk Rocker'.

RE: Local Girls (quotes by Graham Parker)

http://www.grahamparker.net/answers/qa5.html
posted October 13, 1998

I liked the Pixies. Frank Black sings on "Local Girls" on "Piss And Vinegar," the GP tribute album. Must be one hell of a dude.

http://www.grahamparker.net/answers/qa9.html
posted June 17, 1999

I've never met Mr. Black and have heard very little of his work. There was a time in the 80's when MTV were featuring a great tune by the Pixies and I did hear a song from a solo album of his exactly once on the radio, which sounded very good. That's it, I'm afraid. Someone at Buy or Die must know him.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/28/2006 : 12:06:04
Even if I don't reply doesn't mean it's unacknowledged!

Incidentally, I've finally fixed the menus a bit for the site. I still want to completely overhaul the graphics, but that'll come.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
fbc Posted - 03/25/2006 : 05:40:40
you acknowledged my post. good enough for me.
starmekitten Posted - 03/24/2006 : 10:04:56
(I didn't do anything)
fbc Posted - 03/24/2006 : 09:13:43
i knew if i actually sung my posts it may help. and indeed it did. thanks, kitten!!
vilainde Posted - 03/24/2006 : 04:42:20
Also, I think Repo Man is missing from the database. And Coming Into Los Angeles if you list songs played live only.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Frog in the Sand Posted - 03/24/2006 : 03:44:36
It's from Gordon Gano's "Hitting the Ground" (2002).

-----
I joined the Cult of Le Cigaw Volanttt
starmekitten Posted - 03/24/2006 : 03:39:52
Run is Frank featuring on someone elses album? Have I got that right?
fbc Posted - 03/24/2006 : 03:25:58
RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN
RUN RUN RUN RUN
R R R R R R R R R R R R R R RUNNNNNNNN

RUN!
Frog in the Sand Posted - 03/17/2006 : 08:05:59
Btw, that promo version is mentioned here:

http://home.germany.net/100-132380/dis_cult.htm

(near the bottom of the page)

-----
Frog in the Sand Posted - 03/17/2006 : 08:01:51
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

augh! where did you get that??

In a small shop in the 10th arrondissement. I forgot its name, sorry.

-----
Carl Posted - 03/17/2006 : 07:56:40
Yah lucky git, FITS.

pas de dutchie!
vilainde Posted - 03/17/2006 : 07:21:01
augh! where did you get that??

Denis

Frog in the Sand Posted - 03/17/2006 : 07:13:21
This morning in Paris I found (and bought) an extended, 2-cd version of the IDWTHY ep. Apparently it's a German promo. Red cover, same artwork as on other versions. Featured tracks:

CD 1
1. IDWTHY (studio) 3:03
2. Men in Black (live) 3:08
3. Village of the Sun (live) 3:34
4. IDWTHY (live) 3:11
5. You Ain't Me (live) 2:49
6. The Last Stand of SA (live) 4:48

CD 2
FB interview by M.C. Lücke 24:59

-----
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/10/2006 : 00:19:33
Thanks guys, been out of town, will look at this soon.

vilainde Posted - 03/06/2006 : 05:27:40
eerie... I'll scan it tonight if you want.

Denis

starmekitten Posted - 03/06/2006 : 04:50:56
my promo isn't in a slimcase...
vilainde Posted - 03/06/2006 : 02:24:32
Bought the Honeycomb promo CD this week-end:

Cooking Vinyl 2005
COOKCD341-CDR
The cover is the same as the official version but in a slimcase. Identical tracklisting too.

Denis

fbc Posted - 03/05/2006 : 00:36:07
hey guys, don't mean to be a pain, but Run is still missing from the database. Just so you know.

quote:
Run (from Gordon Gano's 'Hitting the Ground' album)
quote:
"It's so great and done with such an intensity," Gano says, "but there was a game plan. He had this concept that he would keep recording it and on each pass he would take up the intensity level." The take they ended up with is definitely well-past eleven.

http://www.atomicduster.com/interviews/gordon_gano/

AD: On your excellent “Hitting The Ground” album, you have worked with a glut of outstanding performers that would make other artists green with envy. If you had to pick one standout track, which would it be and why? Also, did you give each artist a guideline for how you wanted the tracks to come out, or is it totally their own interpretation?

GG: Thank you for enjoying ‘Hitting The Ground’. There isn’t one track that’s most special to me. I could make an argument for each one. For example ‘Run’. When I heard Frank Black sing this I thought, and still do, that this is one of my favourite lead vocals of all time. With some artists we discussed how to approach the song and with others nothing was discussed except here’s the song and do you want to do it. Anyone that likes any of these artists I believe will really like what they do on this record. In sports lingo: they are all “on top of their game” or “in the zone”.

Frog in the Sand Posted - 03/04/2006 : 14:20:34
quote:

if it's any consolation, the site would probably be gone now were it not for the people (like you, and me in fact) who donated money.

It's more than a consolation

-----
kelladwella Posted - 03/04/2006 : 13:35:11
It sounds too 'disco' for me.
starmekitten Posted - 03/04/2006 : 12:46:41
I quite like discopedia for what it's worth...
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/04/2006 : 11:49:17
I imagine so. That's one of those things I can't do anything about, but if it's any consolation, the site would probably be gone now were it not for the people (like you, and me in fact) who donated money. I'm crossing my fingers, Dave still has lots of prizes to be giving away...

Frog in the Sand Posted - 03/04/2006 : 10:56:03
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde
About FrankBlack.net
Site Map
Who We Are
Friends of FrankBlack.net Club

Uh, will the Friends of FB.net Club rise from its ashes some day? I'm supposed to be a lifer!

-----
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/04/2006 : 10:03:54
Heh, okay, so you don't like discopedia? :)

Nope, Soren's got a different and much bigger project - the Article DB.

vilainde Posted - 03/04/2006 : 09:59:40
quote:

Hmmm... looking, thinking...

Still don't like Discography & Song DB. I take it you don't like Encyclopedia? My only problem with the pedia is that it doesn't encompass discography. Hey - my laziness may have just paid off! What if we called it a Discopedia?

Yeah, or Qsdglkhfbnc if you're looking for something REALLY incomprehensible... :)

quote:

Audio/Video/Pics - I like that grouping, but I'd call it Multimedia methinks.

sounds good

quote:

Links - actually, I need someone to do this. I think I asked Carl at some point, but maybe not. Anyway, I need someone to manage the links if they're interested.

I thought Soren was doing this?

Denis

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/03/2006 : 13:59:38
Hmmm... looking, thinking...

Still don't like Discography & Song DB. I take it you don't like Encyclopedia? My only problem with the pedia is that it doesn't encompass discography. Hey - my laziness may have just paid off! What if we called it a Discopedia?

Guitar Tabs- Eventually I'm thinking of moving them into the 'pedia too. No point in maintaining what is essentially a second discography minus singles. Thoughts?

Audio/Video/Pics - I like that grouping, but I'd call it Multimedia methinks.

Forum - would move it under main page.

Links - actually, I need someone to do this. I think I asked Carl at some point, but maybe not. Anyway, I need someone to manage the links if they're interested.

About - good call. That all fits there nicely.

In short, yes, I like that organization MUCH better, thanks.

vilainde Posted - 03/03/2006 : 07:54:49
quote:

I'm willing to take any suggestions for the sitemap/'website directory'. I plan to redo the whole main page at some point. You know, when my life as I know it now ends and I have abundant free time. :)

What do you think of:

Main Page
  News
  Tour Dates

Frank Black
  Biography
  Discography & Song DB
  Gigography
  Guitar tabs

Audio/Video/Pics
  Podcast
  Tribute Albums
  Photo Gallery
  FB Pic search on Google

Forum

Links
  Official FB sites
  Other FB sites
  Email lists

About FrankBlack.net
  Site Map
  Who We Are
  Friends of FrankBlack.net Club
  Contact Us

Denis

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/03/2006 : 06:53:24
How about "Discography/Compendium" :)

Actually, we could call it an encyclopedia... discography should probably be in there, though...

vilainde Posted - 03/03/2006 : 06:38:18
This Bowie site calls it "Illustrated db Discography". Not sure it's a much better name though.

http://www.illustrated-db-discography.nl/

Denis

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/03/2006 : 06:29:25
I'm actually with you on that, Denis, and when I did up the new beta I was thinking the whole time "there's got to be a better name". Discography is a good name, except it's obviously a lot more than that. I'm willing to take any suggestions for the sitemap/'website directory'. I plan to redo the whole main page at some point. You know, when my life as I know it now ends and I have abundant free time. :)

vilainde Posted - 03/03/2006 : 02:19:50
It might not be the right thread to mention this but anyway. The expression "Song database" bugs me. It sounds nerdy. Plus when you go to the main page, if you're looking for a FB discography it's unclear that you have to go to the Song DB to find it. I think the "website directory" should say "Discography" or "Discography & Song Database". In fact, I think the whole website directory is unclear. I'll try to think of something.

Denis

Frog in the Sand Posted - 03/03/2006 : 00:36:18
I forgot to mention this rare cardboard sleeve edition of the orange album (yeah, orange, I think everyone will agree this time):

Oh, and just for fun, another rare item:

-----
vilainde Posted - 03/03/2006 : 00:07:32
Just noticed... The SMYT 12" LP wasn't released by Cooking Vinyl but by Diverse Records.

Denis

vilainde Posted - 03/03/2006 : 00:06:25
quote:

Interesting. I would've thought it was released later 'cause of the cat. #. Those crazy labels. Will fix that up when Denis gets me the 12" details.

12" ep
Strange Fruit (© 1995) / BBC Radio (© 1994)
Cat # SFPS 091

Denis

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000