-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 honeycomb - db

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
starmekitten Posted - 07/30/2005 : 05:24:27
Lyrics

Honeycomb

the old church yard is where i faded
she watched me while i fell unaided
and in my time when god's army came and got me
i could not find my honeycomb

cherry brown lips of maple
olive creams her eyes and face were
and in that town as i walk as a deserter

dance for god dance for mating
the ritual of her figure eighting
and in my mind as i fly above the churchyard

Quotes
thanks to Llamadance and Night Times on 12/06/2005

Cropper really liked this song. It's kind of about a bumblebee -- I guess it's somewhat surreal. To really get into it, he left the room while the rest of us cut it. Then he came back and did his solo. He's a big guy, and he's standing in this little control booth, shaking his butt as he's playing, like he's a bumblebee flying around. When he was done he exhaled really heavy, like he'd just eaten the best sandwich he'd ever had. It was totally amazing.

If you invite people who all have the same blood type to a party, but you don't tell them, they'll talk about something else
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hammerhands Posted - 08/16/2007 : 02:45:31
I noticed the other day that unaided is probably a play on words, Mayday, pilots say from the French m'aide, help me.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/11/2006 : 11:02:11
Wow. One of my favourite db threads ever. Thanks guys, good read/sleuthing.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
starmekitten Posted - 03/11/2006 : 05:55:38
The man said see the outer limits so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZZZZZ_%28episode%29

"ZZZZZ"

A transformation of the most stunning kind takes place as this episode opens, a huge queen bee is seemingly transmuted into a human female! "Is it not possible that smaller forms of life too are now conducting experiments?"

This new female soon claims to be a woman named Regina (Joanna Frank), looking for a job as a lab assistant to one Dr. Benedict O' Fields (Philip Abbott). Fields is a top man in the field of entomology and Regina, our Queen Bee, we soon learn considers him the leading candidate for possible mating...a fine specimen for a drone. Fields has created a way to speak to and understand the language spoken by bees and the bees themselves it seems were also busy trying to build him a mate with whom the bees hope a hybrid capable of overtaking the world will be created. But what they didn't count on was Fields' love for his wife Francesca (Marsha Hunt) getting in the way of their plans. Nor did they count on the huge differences between human and insect behavior.

This episode is pretty freaky and outrageous...what with a giant queen bee (albeit in human form) trying to force her love upon a human man (Dr. Fields). In the end though, we are made to feel somewhat sympathetic to this bizarre new creation despite the desperate and deadly actions she takes...she was simply carrying out what she was programmed to do after all.

"Does it make you angry to be loved Ben?" — Regina.

"Ben, she's a medical anomaly...closest thing to a complete mutant I've ever seen" — Dr. Warren (Booth Colman).

This episode was written by Meyer Dolinsky, although Joseph Stefano was involved too, and was directed by John Brahm.

darwin Posted - 02/02/2006 : 01:01:39
I hope you know that interpreting the lyrics and finding the jewels of deeper or overlooked (maybe even unintended) meanings is one of the reasons your music so special to many us. And I particularly enjoy the different perspectives (that's not even the right term; different, sometimes non-human actors) you put into your songs (e.g. St. Francis Damn, The Swimmer).
fbc Posted - 02/01/2006 : 10:53:57
SKRATCH: On "Honeycomb" you sing that God's army is coming down to get you. That's pretty scary. That's all I have to say about that. It's a good song, but…aaahhhh. Is there a specific reason you put that in there?

FRANK: I suppose, [but] I don't know why. I guess I was talking about religion. But it's okay—you don't have to be frightened; it's just a song. Yeah, that's a very strange song about memories from my…I guess it would be memories of my childhood.
Carl Posted - 01/30/2006 : 05:33:51
quote:
Originally posted by Superabounder

To me god's army sounds like the ants. He fell to the ground at the end of his life, and eventually the ants came and carried his body away as they do.

Sounds good to me.

pas de dutchie!
starmekitten Posted - 01/29/2006 : 13:57:51
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you star you!
fbc Posted - 01/29/2006 : 13:03:38
anything for you

Is this the Offical Tracklist for "Honeycomb?" thread:
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11583

Jon Tiven's third post on the second page.

=)
starmekitten Posted - 01/29/2006 : 12:42:30
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

"As for the song itself, here's what I'm willing to share. It was one of th last songs recorded for the album, and in no way were we thinking of it as a title track until it went down and sounded as amazing as it does. Particularly after Mr. Cropper showed such great enthusiasm for it (and his is the more metallic of the solos, as it was played directly into a Manley compressor without benefit of amplifier). Our man FB was still working on the track the night before our third and final day of basics, and showed me several permutations of it on the morning we cut it and I gave him my two cents. The rest was a case of surrendering it to the players, and the surprise was drummer Akil Thompson, who came in as a last minute substitute for his dad Chester who had to leave midday" - Jon Tiven

Sorry to ask so late in the game fbc but is this an on forum quote, can you remember which thread? Just so it can be sourced from the db, thank you in advance, if not I'll have a search (at some point when dial-up isn't making me murderous)
fbc Posted - 08/06/2005 : 14:32:29
"As for the song itself, here's what I'm willing to share. It was one of th last songs recorded for the album, and in no way were we thinking of it as a title track until it went down and sounded as amazing as it does. Particularly after Mr. Cropper showed such great enthusiasm for it (and his is the more metallic of the solos, as it was played directly into a Manley compressor without benefit of amplifier). Our man FB was still working on the track the night before our third and final day of basics, and showed me several permutations of it on the morning we cut it and I gave him my two cents. The rest was a case of surrendering it to the players, and the surprise was drummer Akil Thompson, who came in as a last minute substitute for his dad Chester who had to leave midday" - Jon Tiven
Superabounder Posted - 08/04/2005 : 19:07:31
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

quote:
Originally posted by Jason

quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

I wonder what god's army is? Or which army that is? A battle? A deserter from a monastery?!!

I interpret the "god's army" line to mean that the bee has died (been claimed by god/eternity).

The bee "faded" and then "fell unaided" and then died (god "came and got me").

hey... i like this. i always thought it had to some referene of some sort frank was making to his own life. but i really dig the personification of bee thing... deep... man... deep.

To me god's army sounds like the ants. He fell to the ground at the end of his life, and eventually the ants came and carried his body away as they do.

All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Daisy Girl Posted - 08/04/2005 : 15:42:32
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

quote:

I wonder what god's army is? Or which army that is? A battle? A deserter from a monastery?!!

I interpret the "god's army" line to mean that the bee has died (been claimed by god/eternity).

hey... i like this. i always thought it had to some referene of some sort frank was making to his own life. but i really dig the personification of bee thing... deep... man... deep.
hammerhands Posted - 08/01/2005 : 12:08:01
Between this and Olympus Mons Frank's children will have a unique perspective on the birds and the bees.
hammerhands Posted - 08/01/2005 : 12:00:27
From the point of view of a bee that honeycomb is pretty much everything, the womb, sustenance, "dance floor", direction.

Things were sweet. He had a home, got fed. He never understood a thing she was saying, anyways, he didn't see it as his business. But in fact he was really an imp and never had the capacity to know about her world. It's like watching figure skating, you can see they're telling something to you but you're not about to spend the time to figure it out.

Maybe that was the problem. It all seemed to be going so well when fate pulled the switch, or possibly just a change in the air. To an outsider it may have seemed like any of a thousand things because in the end it was everything she hated. To him, he had felt uncomfortable so he left.

It looked cruel but in a sense she had given him the freedom to explore the wider world, in a final act of pity she had shown him where to start and gave him a taste of what he might find. To him it had been a Triple-Lutz and a kiss goodbye, to him it was an endless void. It wasn't until after he had chosen as his path an abstraction and taken it, as is his nature, as far as he could, tired and in need that he happened upon his direction.
hammerhands Posted - 08/01/2005 : 04:39:25
This amuses my cynicism.

http://www.shgresources.com/ut/symbols/insect/

The queen is the only sexually developed female in the hive. She is the largest bee in the colony.

Drones are stout male bees that have no stingers. Drones do not collect food or pollen from flowers. Their sole purpose is to mate with the queen. If the colony is short on food, drones are often kicked out of the hive.

http://polarization.com/bees/bees.html

Interestingly, the dance followers can make the dancer pause and give them a taste of the nectar by using a squeaking sound.
fbc Posted - 08/01/2005 : 02:17:03
quote:
Originally posted by starmekitten

love those quotes! can you guys source them for me?

sorry about the lame source, tre, but it was from The Sun
darwin Posted - 07/31/2005 : 20:55:44
This might aid in the interpretation (I guess this thread is suppose to be more about facts than speculations but I here go anyways). I believe older bees who are closer to death are the ones that predominantly go out and forage (while the younger ones maintain the hive). And the older foragers sometimes just run out gas and die while foraging. Could this explain the "where I faded" line?

Any ideas on the "cherry brown lips of maple, olive creams her eyes and face were"? That seems like a key clue.
Jason Posted - 07/31/2005 : 15:13:38
quote:

misterwoe Posted - 07/31/2005 : 14:22:05
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

quote:

A little artistic license, but the bees aren't dancing for mating, but as hammerhands source indicates it's to give the location of food. And they do figure 8's.

For the bees it is all about food, but they help to pollinate the flowers, which is like mating...

Pablo Picasso never got called an asshole.
hammerhands Posted - 07/31/2005 : 00:39:31

I'm afraid I'm at a deficit when it comes to religious references,
"Sweeter than honey from the honeycomb" is god's word (google).
darwin Posted - 07/30/2005 : 23:01:41
quote:

A little artistic license, but the bees aren't dancing for mating, but as hammerhands source indicates it's to give the location of food. And they do figure 8's.

von Frisch (along with Niko Tinbergen and Konrad Lorenz) won the Nobel Prize for medicine primarily (on his part, Tinbergen and Lorenz did other behvioral work) for describing the wiggle dance. There's no Nobel Prize for biology. I guess this doesn't belong in a db thread, but rarely does a topic tread so close to my area of expertise.
Daisy Girl Posted - 07/30/2005 : 18:58:20
wow thanks everyone. wow, that is so interesting. I knew bees were special in many ways, but I never knew that their directions were communicated by such complex dances. so interseting. thank you!
hammerhands Posted - 07/30/2005 : 16:25:24
http://polarization.com/bees/bees.html
starmekitten Posted - 07/30/2005 : 15:25:05
love those quotes! can you guys source them for me?

If you invite people who all have the same blood type to a party, but you don't tell them, they'll talk about something else
kathryn Posted - 07/30/2005 : 11:38:00
Frank on how he chose to call the album not "Black on Blonde" ("it was a little too campy") but after the song Honeycomb:
"It was just a cool word that sounded singer/songwritery, but not too wimpy."

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
fbc Posted - 07/30/2005 : 08:12:58
Can you explain the mystery of the title track's lyrics?

"Unrequited love, schoolyard aggression, humiliation, bee behaviour, the haunting of her face, all on a crisp autumn day in the shadow of the steeple, there on the glebe. Ah, to be young again!"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000