-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Joey Santiago plays on Mark Mulcahy's new album

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
marcusb Posted - 01/28/2005 : 14:07:58
Joey plays lead guitar on a song called He Vanished on Mark's forthcoming album "In Pursuit of Your Happiness".. what's funny is Mark used to play with Dave McCaffrey and Scott Boutier from the Catholics..

more info:

"Mark Mulcahy In Pursuit Of Your Happiness Out March 7

Tracklisting
1. In Pursuit Of Your Happiness
2. Cookie Jar
3. I Have Patience (lead guitar J.Mascis)
4. Be Sure
5. Can't Find A Reason To Let You Go
6. A World Away From This One
7. A Smack On The Lips (lead guitar J.Mascis)
8. Everything's Coming Undone
9. 4.04
10. Nothing But A Silver Medal (lead guitar J.Mascis)
11. Propstar (lead guitar J.Mascis)
12. He Vanished (lead guitar Joey Santiago)

* ex-Miracle Legion frontman's third solo album
*Features Dinosaur Jr's J.Mascis and Joey Santiago of The Pixies

"Mark Mulcahy is crouching at the rear of the stage, tuning up, taking the occasional sip of water .. He slouches up to the microphone wearing Tom Waits's 1974 haircut and holds his mouth open for six seconds. It looks, for a moment, like he's going to greet us with a standard "How's everyone doing?" banality, but then something extraordinary happens: he sings. The entire crowd appears to hold their breath and freeze simultaneously, as if they've come to watch a singer-songwriter, only to find him replaced by a professional trapeze artist. Former Miracle Legion frontman has the kind of male voice you just don't hear anymore: breathy, acrobatic, sensual, utterly, rapturously in-touch"
Tom Cox - The Guardian

Of all the bands that surfaced in the wake of REM's success in the mid-to-late 80s, the one widely regarded as 'most likely to succeed' was the USA's Miracle Legion. When they imploded amidst a series of crippling major label legal wrangles, frontman Mark Mulcahy, although semi-satisfied with the band's achievements, knew that his astounding voice could carry him further. After a series of very low-key solo shows in NYC he was back in the game and with the release of 1999's Fathering - a stripped down, bare-boned pean to lust and longing - he found himself responsible for what was soon to become regarded as an instant classic.

After unexpectedly dedicating the show to Mark at the end of a Radiohead gig in Boston long-time fan Thom Yorke - who claims Mark possesses the "most beautiful voice I've ever heard#65533; - invited him to open up for his band, and in the UK and Europe in particular he received universal acclaim. As well as appearing in several end of year polls the album's stand-out track Hey Self Defeater was included alongside Springsteen's Thunder Road and Van Morrison's Caravan in Nick Hornby's collection of essays '31 Songs' as one of his all time favourites. A follow up in 2001, SmileSunset - a lusher, bolder affair that found Mulcahy collaborating with a host of musicians and various members of the cast of The Sopranos - was again praised for its vocal acrobatics and skilled songwriting while the accompanying tour found Mark in startling form.

In Pursuit Of Your Happiness lies somewhere between its predecessor and Fathering. In many ways it's a return to the orgiastic-no-limits-abandon of his solo debut - tales of illicit affairs and claustrophobic sex clamouring for attention with his musings on those over the years he's lost and found - and the verdant melodic glory of SmileSunset. Aided by guests such as Dinosaur Jr's J.Mascis and Joey Santiago of The Pixies he's produced a deceptively beefed up album that retains the aural power punch of what has come before but is complimented by a rueful maturity that, while still celebrating the wonders of the flesh, also contemplates its frailty.

Its a grown up album that comes at a time when we never needed one more. As Uncut's editor Allan Jones said in a review of one of Mark's London shows: "At a time, sadly, when popular music seems to mean less than it ever has to a lot of people (Mulcahy offers) a timely reminder of what's still possible, the extent to which great music can still blow your fucking mind"."

I once killed a boy with a Fender guitar
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Skatealex1 Posted - 04/02/2005 : 21:00:42
unfortunatly itunes doesnt have it off altho i got it off amazon but u should out nimrods sons link daisy girl

The Truth Is Out There
NimrodsSon Posted - 04/02/2005 : 17:06:52
www.mezzotint.com -- Go to the store section to buy the album. Fast shipping, great service, and if you buy it from them you get free game pieces for the board game that comes with the CD.

ˇViva los Católicos! http://adrianfoster.dmusic.com/
marcusb Posted - 04/01/2005 : 19:46:04
I kinda doubt it'll be on iTunes.. but you never know. He put's stuff out on his own label.. so he could easily do it I'm sure... just needs to contact him. But buy the CD! Mark's awesome.
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/01/2005 : 18:21:10
cool this looks very cool!! I can't wait to hear it...

Can we get it on itunes too?
Skatealex1 Posted - 04/01/2005 : 14:48:43
i got this cd too but havent gave it a good listen yet (also got a sick elliot smith bootleg dvd)

The Truth Is Out There
NimrodsSon Posted - 04/01/2005 : 14:37:33
I finally got my copy yesterday. Joey's track is great; he just plays rhythm guitar, but it's still got his distinctive style. I must reiterate, once more, GET THIS RECORD!

NimrodsSon Posted - 03/22/2005 : 16:55:08
Update: this is supposed to be out April 12, but something got screwed up and it's available from most major retailers NOW. I preordered my copy from the local record store and it won't be in until tomorrow, so I can't attest to the quality of it just yet (although I can say that it undoubtedly WILL be very good and well worth the $14.00).

If you don't believe me and would like to hear thirty second song samples to catch a little glimpse of the genius of Mark Mulcahy, head on over to http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/mulcahy_mark/876666/album.jhtml

NimrodsSon Posted - 03/08/2005 : 12:51:42
Official, final release date, not subject to change: April 12

NimrodsSon Posted - 03/05/2005 : 11:51:56
The time is approaching, although I believe they've pushed the release date back until later this month. But I hope you've all made the preorders, as this probably won't be available in your local record store (even indie ones) unless you get them to order it. You WANT to get this album. And, by the way, if you're a little skeptical, check out the March uncut magazine which has a CD with "Cookie Jar" on it.

NimrodsSon Posted - 02/02/2005 : 12:26:02
I STRONGLY encourage everyone to get this album, as well as Mark's two other solo albums, Fathering and Smilesunset. I have only recently discovered him and he is one of the greatest musicians I have ever heard. His songwriting ability is incredible, his voice is gorgeaous, and the pure, unadulterated love that literally oozes out of his music is unbelieveable (I would almost say there's more love in his music than Brian Wilson's). This will most definitely be an amazing album, so RUN to the stores on March 15 and get it! I've already put aside $15 so that I'll be sure to have the money come March 15.

Skatealex1 Posted - 02/01/2005 : 21:57:07
c0ol!!!!!!!!!

The Truth Is Out There

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000