-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 pathetic yard sales

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
floop Posted - 01/16/2005 : 11:24:59
do you have a lot of garage sales, or yard sales, where you come from?

i think yard sales are great. if i see one i always stop and sometimes find some really cool things, really cheap.

i think it's so funny though when someone has a "yard sale" and they've got a small blanket with like 5 things on it. and it's like, a coffee cup, some plates, a shitty thrift store painting and a candle. do you know what i'm talking about? you know these types?

like, how much money are you going to make? is it even worth wasting your entire Sunday sitting there?

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
floop Posted - 04/23/2013 : 20:01:02
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

Wow! Zombie thread.

A nearby estate sale being conducted this weekend. http://annstagsales.com/sale/sale.php?directory=images

you can't buy taste can you?

green star member since 2006. smb?
Fissile Posted - 04/20/2013 : 11:01:49
Wow! Zombie thread.

OK, around these here parts, you can't have a yard sale without obtaining a permit from the municipality first....I believe most municipalities limit yard sales to something like 4 per year, per address.

Estate sales are a better bet. When an olderster snuffs it around here, the heirs usually are not interested in the contents of the house, so they have it sold off. I've gotten some very good deals on yard equipment, washing machines and the like at estate sales. Bought a nearly new washing machine for $150.

A nearby estate sale being conducted this weekend. http://annstagsales.com/sale/sale.php?directory=images
shineoftheever Posted - 04/19/2013 : 22:13:54
nobody responds to KOK like dat bitch!

cut it out right now y'all and let's get back on topic.

i find people are asking too much at garage sales lately. with dollar stores and the as-is section at Ikea; who needs 'em...

20th Anniversary Tour; Teenager Of The Year: Live and Complete - Coming Soon in 2014 to your favorite venue!
jstephanie396 Posted - 04/19/2013 : 21:10:38
If you are going to buy something, It will definitely be a time worthy to spend on. You will some awesome deals that you may not even think of. And you will see a lot of different type of products which am sure one would enjoy looking at it. But if you are about to sell something, you have to ensure that your product is a need for someone and they are willing to give reasonable amount. Otherwise, you may just skip it.

"SEO Service Provider- kgtech.in
The King Of Karaoke Posted - 01/20/2005 : 17:19:11
Oooohhh no. I'm not letting you live that one down so easy.

I got my eye on you.
floop Posted - 01/20/2005 : 17:18:38
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

Don't be dragging BLT down to your level, floop. He is a nice boy.

maybe that's why you should ask him. you can get a nice boy's perspective, instead of mr. mean man, me.

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
VoVat Posted - 01/20/2005 : 17:12:14
I went to a garage sale, and I was so annoyed that they weren't selling any garages!

Okay, I got my lame joke out of the way. Carry on.

"Reunion? Shit union!"
kathryn Posted - 01/18/2005 : 17:40:42
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:

I've only heard them called "swap meets" in California
(Cali to you, floop), which always sounds to my ear
as vaguely sexual and tawdry.

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank

ask BLT (another native) is anyone he knows calls it "Cali"

it's only because of that horrible song "going back to Cali" that people (from the east coast) call it that

Don't be dragging BLT down to your level, floop. He is a nice boy.

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 01/18/2005 : 14:51:42
OK, let's see if this one works.

Hold on one goddam second! What's this penguin related product I spy bottom right!? Shit! I wonder if they still have it? That old bat near it better not have gotten her filthy mitts on it.

http://www.thefutureheads.co.uk/
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 01/18/2005 : 14:49:55
Damn picture won't work again! Aaargh!

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 01/18/2005 : 14:45:19
quote:

Always reminds me of Nirvana.

Here you go, a Jumble sale in all it's glory.

goosnargh@btinternet.com/images/jumble.JPG" border="0">

I bet those two young scamps down the front as hunting for tins full of plastic toy soldiers for 50p. No chance lads, I got the last one! HA!

Oh and KoK?, what Hungry hippos joke? Do tell!

starmekitten Posted - 01/18/2005 : 12:42:06
It had a multitude of strange belt attachments you could belt up your arms like a straight jacket or behind your back and in a few random ways. I bought it from some old hippy because it was retro, green and I liked the buttons.

I also got a 60's/70's silver high neck split skirt quant esque patterned dress and matching sandals. It took my mum a week to throw them away, she dispaired!

you
me
we used to be on fire
apl4eris Posted - 01/18/2005 : 12:35:10
bondage coat? with stirrups and gags or what?

Either your boot sales are much more...diverse than our yard sales, or my mind is way down in the gutter.

Lon the Fisherman has wooden legs, but real feet.
starmekitten Posted - 01/18/2005 : 12:30:11
Some of them are huge, it's a grand summer day where you drive out to a big field where there is row upon row of people selling all their stuff.

One persons trash is anothers treasure...

I got a green leather bondage coat with huge buttons for £3 once. I loved it.

you
me
we used to be on fire
KimStanleyRobinson Posted - 01/18/2005 : 12:25:00
No, but we have people that will pull of on a wide spot on the side of the road and lay a bunch of junk out to sell.
I guess that would be similar.

That idea sounds kinda cool actually - just drive in and open your trunk...
starmekitten Posted - 01/18/2005 : 12:15:40
Do you guys have car boot sales???

When I was a youth 45% of my clothes/cd's/books/junk came from boot sales. 45% from charity shops and 10% were bought new. I was the best read, worst dressed kid in the district me!

you
me
we used to be on fire
KimStanleyRobinson Posted - 01/18/2005 : 12:04:20
Location, location, location.
Never go to a yard sale at a trailer park.

Neither snow nor rain nor gloom of night shall
stay these couriers from the swift completion
of their appointed rounds
starmekitten Posted - 01/18/2005 : 11:49:22
Jumble sales, car boot sales and Charity (thrift! oy!) shops

Thats what they are called. Actually...

you
me
we used to be on fire
floop Posted - 01/18/2005 : 11:48:00
quote:

ask BLT (another native) is anyone he knows calls it "Cali"

it's only because of that horrible song "going back to Cali" that people (from the east coast) call it that

n/a Posted - 01/18/2005 : 11:35:38
My sales aren't pathetical!

Purify the colors, purify my mind,
and spread the ashes of the colors
over this heart of mine!
kathryn Posted - 01/18/2005 : 11:31:40

The King Of Karaoke Posted - 01/17/2005 : 19:44:21
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

quote:
Originally posted by The King Of Karaoke

I always crack up when you go to a garage sale and there's nothing but a bunch of crap. I'll whisper to my friend nice GAR-BAGE sale. One thing that ticks me off is when people leave their signs up all over the place and just wait for them to fall off and become litter. I always have wanted to walk up to someones door some random tuesday two weeks after the event and start asking about the garage sale I saw that they were having.
It would be like:

Dumbass - "Oh, uh?.. No. that was two Saturdays ago."

Me- "What? No, you see there's these signs all over the fucking neighborhood saying there's a garage sale here."

Dumbass (Now slightly perturbed at my cursing) - Well it was TWO weeks ago.

Me (Now peeking into the kitchen) - "Well, how much for that toaster?"

now Mr. Dumbass comes to the door - "Excuse me what do you want?"

Me -" Well, I want to buy something at your garage sale."

Mr. and Mrs. Dumbass simultaneously shouting - "WE'RE NOT HAVING A GARAGE SALE!!"

Me - Really? Well, then what I actually want is for you to go take all the fucking gargage sale signs you've had up for two weeks down!
If you're not going to do that I want you to sell me that damn toaster! Then tomorrow I'll be back looking for an ironing board, so start working on a price!"

Sorry, got a little carried away there. All Yerba mate'd up

----------------------
"I am not a plonker".

Hehe, I wish you did have that conversation. If you do, tape it and post a link to it here.

We don't have these sales much here, hardly ever in fact. I don't even see jumble sales advertised much here nowadays either

Okay, it's official. That's my new comedy project. I'll need a small camera. This is going to be better than my Hungry Hungry Hippo's joke!
Thanks for the motivation MonkeyBoy!

----------------------
"I am not a plonker".
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 01/17/2005 : 14:51:12
Not here, they are called jumble sales here. They are indoors though and usually organised by old women and attended by old women. Having said that, I picked up some excellent toys from them as a child. I seem to remember getting a huge tin full of small, plastic soldiers for about 50 pence. Kept me amused for for years.

dayanara Posted - 01/17/2005 : 13:44:43
I always thought they were called rummage sales.

A monkey will eat dirt if you make him.
floop Posted - 01/17/2005 : 13:41:22
quote:
Originally posted by ramona
You have to price things reasonably and realize you are basically saying "Buy my old crap!"

in some cases, you're also saying "I'm white trash"

kathryn Posted - 01/17/2005 : 12:09:29
"jumble"?

floop Posted - 01/17/2005 : 12:04:59
"jumble sales"?

can't you guys just talk right?

kathryn Posted - 01/17/2005 : 11:59:25
What's funny about the morons who leave up the signs forever
is that, duh, it's easy for everyone to figure out it's them, the
people who live at this address here on the sign that everyone
can read, these people are the morons who left the signs up all
over town.

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 01/17/2005 : 09:54:21
quote:
Originally posted by The King Of Karaoke

I always crack up when you go to a garage sale and there's nothing but a bunch of crap. I'll whisper to my friend nice GAR-BAGE sale. One thing that ticks me off is when people leave their signs up all over the place and just wait for them to fall off and become litter. I always have wanted to walk up to someones door some random tuesday two weeks after the event and start asking about the garage sale I saw that they were having.
It would be like:

Me- "What? No, you see there's these signs all over the fucking neighborhood saying there's a garage sale here."

Mr. and Mrs. Dumbass simultaneously shouting - "WE'RE NOT HAVING A GARAGE SALE!!"

Me - Really? Well, then what I actually want is for you to go take all the fucking gargage sale signs you've had up for two weeks down!
If you're not going to do that I want you to sell me that damn toaster! Then tomorrow I'll be back looking for an ironing board, so start working on a price!"

----------------------
"I am not a plonker".

Hehe, I wish you did have that conversation. If you do, tape it and post a link to it here.

We don't have these sales much here, hardly ever in fact. I don't even see jumble sales advertised much here nowadays either

Broken Face Posted - 01/17/2005 : 07:55:35
i lvoe garage sales and thrift stores, and anyplace to get good, old stuff cheap. i'm still hoping to find a nice, old analog synth at a garage sale when some old lady doesn't know what it is.

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

ramona Posted - 01/17/2005 : 07:21:20
I love looking at yard sales but people get too attached to their STUFF. When I see ridiculous prices on things, I always want to laugh. Sorry, but your old picture frame is not worth $2. You have to price things reasonably and realize you are basically saying "Buy my old crap!"

Our bodies get bigger, but our hearts get torn up...
With my lightning bolts a glowin'
I can see where I am going.
Better look out below!

http://prettycrabby.com
floop Posted - 01/17/2005 : 02:25:06
no one doesn't enjoy a pleasant day in Los Angeles. it's just.. there are other ways to enjoy it than sitting by your blanket of 3 pathetic items all day which no one is going to buy, and even if they do buy them you stand to make about 17 cents.

go to the beach

slaveish Posted - 01/16/2005 : 23:39:07
LA has a lot of yard sales. I think that's why you see the really small ones, floop. There are yard sales of every size. and people don't mind sitting outside on a pleasant day in los angeles. I don't think they care if they sell anything.

here everyone just puts stuff out on the curb and it's free for the pickin.
The King Of Karaoke Posted - 01/16/2005 : 19:06:42
It would be like:

----------------------
"I am not a plonker".
kathryn Posted - 01/16/2005 : 18:57:07
People who live there call Goleta "the good land." Argh!

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000