-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Instrumentals

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Adam Posted - 05/25/2004 : 06:24:07
I want to burn a FB instramental cd. I can come up with the following songs: Cecilia Ann, Velvety Instramental Version, Tossed, Amnesia, Ballad of Jonny Horton, Surf Epic, Mosh, Don't Pass The Guy, The Adventure & The Resolution, Bullet Instramental, and theme to One Step Beyond.

Am I missing any from any FB period in time?

[EDIT - Sorry, that 'a' in "instramentals" was driving me mad]
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
johnnyribcage Posted - 10/26/2012 : 14:59:54
*crickets crickets*

Hope the man gets something going soon, this place is dead dead deadski. Of course, if the well is dry, I'd rather wait 5 more years for something really good than just a bunch of filler to keep the cash flows positive.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
johnnyribcage Posted - 10/18/2012 : 16:40:43
Well... unless I'm missing it somewhere on the thread, you are in fact missing a significant chunk of instrumentals though it would likely make for a pretty slow CD overall.

The Golem anyone? I don't know how many instrumentals are on there but it has to be somewhere close to a butt ton.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
fbc Posted - 10/16/2012 : 01:09:13
Tossed is now my favourite.
houstonguthrie Posted - 08/05/2007 : 08:55:10
there was a Catholics instrumental version of Selkie Bride on one of the FB.net podcasts that would be a good addition
fbc Posted - 08/05/2007 : 04:19:45
I can't remember where I've read it, but I'm 50% sure Matt Yelton's "the word" sayer (even though the more i listen to it it sounds like a female), and I'd class Amnesia as an instrumental.

Th Adventure and the Resolution is still my favourite one. More instrumentals please, Frank.
VoVat Posted - 12/09/2004 : 16:32:41
Or maybe he actually says "the word."

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
billgoodman Posted - 12/09/2004 : 16:03:15
quote:
Originally posted by clemray

Is Amnesia technically an insrumental? i do think he says the word in the song.

the word?
like ''boobies'' or ''fuck''?

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
clemray Posted - 12/09/2004 : 15:39:22
Is Amnesia technically an insrumental? i do think he says the word in the song.
Thomas Posted - 12/08/2004 : 07:09:57
quote:
Originally posted by benji

well chances are the sound would be crap - cause it would just be a horrible audience recording, but pixieslive.com produces several, including this one, which also has something against you (instrumental)...but here we come isn't a too tricky boot to get hold of...someone here'll have it for sure.

02/05/92, The Ritz, New York, NY
Setlist: 1. Velvety (instrumental) 2. Brick Is Red (instrumental) 3. Something Against You (inst.) 4. Ana 5. Cecilia Ann 6. Levitate Me 7. Stormy Weather 8. All Over The World 9. The Sad Punk 10. d = r x t 11. Subbacultcha 12. Here Comes Your Man 13. Dead 14. Manta Ray 15. Head On 16. U-Mass 17. Motorway To Roswell 18. Letter To Memphis 19. Palace Of The Brine 20. Planet Of Sound 21. Bird Dream Of The Olympus Mons 22. Trompe le Monde 23. Is She Weird 24. Caribou 25. The Holiday Song 26. Weird At My School 27. Nimrod's Son
Recording: 70 minutes, audience, B+. From the bootleg Here We Come. An 85-minute recording is rumored to exist.
Notes: Barkmarket opened.

oh, and the show 7 nights previous they played Havalina (instrumental).....

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"

Here is my ticket stub of that show. I've known about the recording for years, but I still haven't heard the show again. One day I'll listen to it. It will have been 12 years 10 months 7 days since me and my wife have seen them. Dec 12 here you come.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
the thing Posted - 12/08/2004 : 06:29:34
anyone care to proffer a track listing for such a CD?

Forget the cults I got me a whole church!
Sir Mike Posted - 12/08/2004 : 06:17:29
Surf Epic is pretty good. I do like that first portion the best.

frank black conspiracy Posted - 12/07/2004 : 05:15:41
Don't know if you made that cd Adam, but I got one pretty similar. Had the same idea few months back and it's an interesting listen. Frank seemed to enjoy his instrumentals, sometimes I think they were written with this in mind. Songs and shapes with no words. Takes you to a different place completely.

My favourite to date is Adventure and Resolution. Love the change in the middle, the mood swings and general quirky guitar notes and noises. Amazing to hear cruising down the road on full volume

You can hear me cry "Hear my sound mother fuckers! This is Frank Black!" as the eerie part kicks in. Love it.
VoVat Posted - 05/31/2004 : 12:30:14
Old Black Dawning had a farm, EIEIO. And on this farm he had a favorite story about the Tower of Babel, EIEIO.

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
PixieSteve Posted - 05/30/2004 : 15:25:05
Old McDonald...
BLT Posted - 05/28/2004 : 14:02:36
Sorry, I'm useless.
Adam Posted - 05/28/2004 : 13:53:07
Well since you're here, I hope you can add a lot of new information on the subject.
BLT Posted - 05/28/2004 : 13:03:51
quote:

[EDIT - Sorry, that 'a' in "instramentals" was driving me mad]

Thank you. I actually ignored this thread until that was fixed.
billgoodman Posted - 05/28/2004 : 10:16:22
hehe
that's what I love about bootlegs
they make up their own titles

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
the thing Posted - 05/28/2004 : 04:22:19
No its old Black Dawning - I was just reproducing it as printed (hence the sic)

My head was feeling scared, but my heart was feeling free
VoVat Posted - 05/27/2004 : 18:51:53
Olé, olé, olé for Black Donny! He's coming on!

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Avid-Fan Posted - 05/27/2004 : 16:49:35
FB live circa 1993 regularly included the instrumental intro of: Terror Hospital Theme aka Professor's Theme, which is actually Fear [main title from "one step beyond"] & War / "war of the satellites" .. both originally by The Ventures

btw Ole Black Donny could be Ole` Mulholland??????????

(( I talk plain talk ))
billgoodman Posted - 05/27/2004 : 16:22:50
quote:
Originally posted by the thing
Ole Black Donny (sic)

are you sure
this isn't
Old Black Dawning?

Adam Posted - 05/27/2004 : 05:50:44
Thanks for reminding me about the U Itchload. First I misspell Velouria and now instrumental.
Itchload Posted - 05/26/2004 : 14:34:13
they also used to play Something Against You instrumentally. And don't forget U can't spell instrumental without U.
the thing Posted - 05/26/2004 : 14:17:49
Adam -

Its on Frank Black - Czar - Live in Chicago, USA 1993 (TR032)

Set list is:

Terror Hospital Theme
Tossed
Czar
Hang on to your ego
Adda Lee
Ole Black Donny (sic)
Places named after numbers
Two Spaces
Don't Ya Rile 'Em
Freedom Rock
Fu Manchu
Los Angeles
Ten Percenter
This Is Where I Belong (Kinks Cover)
Parry the Wind
Everytime I Go Around Here

Its an excellent bootleg - I'll see about getting it on the FTP (had forgotten about it until this thread jogged my memory)

kingphilbert Posted - 05/26/2004 : 09:02:22
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I think it's on Electric Ladyland, isn't that the one?

"When 5000 posts you reach / Look as good you will not, hmmm?"

They opened the Electric Ladyland show with One Step Beyond. That's the show he mentions it being the "poor man's Twilight Zone". I guess he may have opened more shows with it, but that's the only place I have heard it.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Adam Posted - 05/26/2004 : 08:18:38
Yes, that is One Step Beyond from Elecric Lady Land. Theme From Narc is not quite instramental because they keep repeating the title.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 05/26/2004 : 07:55:16
I think it's on Electric Ladyland, isn't that the one?

"When 5000 posts you reach / Look as good you will not, hmmm?"
hawken Posted - 05/26/2004 : 07:40:19
quote:
its from the first FB tour, spooky keyboard driven instrumental

Certainly sounds like One Step Beyond. Does he say something like "It's a poor man's Twilight Zone" before playing the tune?
Adam Posted - 05/26/2004 : 07:22:20
Can you let me know what boot that is on, Thing. That would be a good one.
the thing Posted - 05/26/2004 : 05:27:57
I have a boot where Frank plays "Terror Hospital Theme" (I think - I'll check later) - its from the first FB tour, spooky keyboard driven instrumental. I might be thinking of One Step Beyond, but on my boot its definetely listed as a different track, sort of an intro to the set.

hawken Posted - 05/25/2004 : 08:08:50
You guys didn't mention "Letter to Memphis" off the Pixies Complete B-Sides.
billgoodman Posted - 05/25/2004 : 08:02:08
aren't there two more surf tracks that frank played
in the begining of his solo career
war and fear
If I'm correct

vilainde Posted - 05/25/2004 : 07:23:36
You forgot Theme From Narc. I can't think of any other one.

Denis
benji Posted - 05/25/2004 : 07:17:44
well chances are the sound would be crap - cause it would just be a horrible audience recording, but pixieslive.com produces several, including this one, which also has something against you (instrumental)...but here we come isn't a too tricky boot to get hold of...someone here'll have it for sure.

02/05/92, The Ritz, New York, NY
Setlist: 1. Velvety (instrumental) 2. Brick Is Red (instrumental) 3. Something Against You (inst.) 4. Ana 5. Cecilia Ann 6. Levitate Me 7. Stormy Weather 8. All Over The World 9. The Sad Punk 10. d = r x t 11. Subbacultcha 12. Here Comes Your Man 13. Dead 14. Manta Ray 15. Head On 16. U-Mass 17. Motorway To Roswell 18. Letter To Memphis 19. Palace Of The Brine 20. Planet Of Sound 21. Bird Dream Of The Olympus Mons 22. Trompe le Monde 23. Is She Weird 24. Caribou 25. The Holiday Song 26. Weird At My School 27. Nimrod's Son
Recording: 70 minutes, audience, B+. From the bootleg Here We Come. An 85-minute recording is rumored to exist.
Notes: Barkmarket opened.

oh, and the show 7 nights previous they played Havalina (instrumental).....

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000