-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Where Is My Mind lyric change

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fbforever Posted - 11/02/2004 : 05:37:19
I'm sure someone has noticed that FB has changed the line
" When they told me east is west trying to talk to me, coy koi",
that he omits coy koi and goes right to " where, where is my mind.
Does anyone know when the change occured ?
At the FB & Catholics Chicago Double Door 2003 show they lead off with it and no "coy koi".
31   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
VoVat Posted - 03/30/2005 : 16:49:32
quote:
but he wasn't saying "we will wade in the shine of the ever" during velouria on the warm-up tour, but then was when he played hear again in september. i guess he reserves the right to change his lyrics as he sees fit.

But would you then have to change your name?

"Reunion? Shit union!"
Chris Fabulous Posted - 03/26/2005 : 05:41:20
I've never seen Frank or the Pixies live, so I don't really know anything, but a lot of artists (myself included, when I sang in a band) just freely improvise or change lyrics over time, organically. I mean, I've gone back and looked at the original lyric sheets of songs I've written and compared them to what I usually sang, and some of them are pretty different, just because you make little changes to what feels more comfortable or what comes more naturally. Or you forget the original lyric enough times that whatever you tend to fill in there becomes more permanent. Even "official" lyric sheets can be incorrect or, more aptly, different than the "official" recording.

Furthermore, Frank’s Pixies lyrics seem to take on an improvised off-the-cuff type of feeling to me. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were improvised in the beginning with blanks filled in later.

That’s just how it strikes me, though. I guess what I’m saying is that often times artists aren’t as precious with their lyrics as fans seem to be.

CF

www.chrisfabulous.com
shineoftheever Posted - 03/24/2005 : 03:05:39
vancouver april 22 it definitely sounds like "swear he was trying to talk, saying wait,wait,wait."

but he wasn't saying "we will wade in the shine of the ever" during velouria on the warm-up tour, but then was when he played hear again in september. i guess he reserves the right to change his lyrics as he sees fit.

You can go eat a decroded piece of crap!
scarred4life Posted - 03/23/2005 : 21:44:38
my $0.02- I'm pretty sure in all of the versions he's singing "except a little fish bumped into me, I swear he was trying to talk to me, said wait wait"

He sings "I swear he was trying to talk to me" really fast, so I guess if you speed that up it kind of sounds like "east west."
tobafett Posted - 03/18/2005 : 22:13:37
death to the pixies (live) and coachella (live):

"except a little fish, bump into me east/west
tryin' to talk to me said wait wait wait"

charlesthompson Posted - 01/16/2005 : 12:04:24
no, i think if you want pixies lyrics to sound like something, you can imagine hes singing pretty much anything and then you will start to hear it....cos noone really knows what he sings..but i've always been under the impression that he sings "except one little fish, cos he told me he swore, he talked to me, to me, to, me"

but i really dont know why we're arguing or even bothering to have a lenghthy chain going about one line in a song!...expecialy seing as im sure we've had this topic before!!!
NimrodsSon Posted - 01/14/2005 : 14:38:26
About the Fight club subtitles thing: subtitles for song lyrics in movies are oftentimes completely wrong. I've seen several extremely obvious examples of this (point in case: Mr. E's Beaughtiful Blues by the Eels in the movie Road Trip). Anyways, I hear on the record exactly the same thing he's singing now and not the east-west thing or whatever. And I doubt, first of all that he would change the lyrics at all, and secondly, if he did, that he would change them that dramatically. It just wouldn't make sense.

¡Viva los Católicos!
Luca555 Posted - 01/14/2005 : 10:41:40
The version I have of "Where is My Mind" from Fight Club says coy koi... it also says the artist is Placebo not the pixies. I don't know much about the Pixies (Just love this song) or Placebo, they could be one and the same for all I know, but hope this clears up any confusion.
kevins Posted - 12/12/2004 : 16:23:40
i found it funny that nada surf just skipped the whole line lol

they just did "and he told me he swears he trying to talk to me"
TRANSMARINE Posted - 11/22/2004 : 14:53:01
I have always heard:

I was swimmin in the Caribbean
animals were hidin behind the rocks
except the little fish who bumped into me east/west
tried to talk to me, said 'no wait, no wait, wait...!'

I could be wrong, and probably am....but the coi-koi thing is just bizarre. How could a DVD translator know the lyrics when the most ardent fans can't produce the facts?

Catchin' blue in his eyes that were brown

-bRIAN
brock_disaster Posted - 11/21/2004 : 23:48:44
"coy koi" was the recorded lyrics on surfer rosa. when live, he substitues it for "wait wait wait" or "sway-way-ay", i have a bunch of shows, past and recent and i've heard both on several.
porkbone1 Posted - 11/18/2004 : 19:44:26
I definitely hear " When they told me east is west trying to talk to me, coy koi", on Surfer Rosa. On the 10th and 11th of this month I saw the Pixies live and he definitely said "wait wait wait" both shows.

The joke has come upon me
lola Posted - 11/17/2004 : 16:17:29
I always found it hard to figure out (but I mishear lyrics ALL THE TIME)I definitely didn't hear the "east west" thing though....
fbforever Posted - 11/08/2004 : 09:26:21
Great thoughts on what
he is singing, and what I posted was copped from
a fansite so I don't know too much myself.
What I still want to know is this, has FB
changed the lyrics around from the first released
version to what the 2004 Pixies are playing now ?
To my poorly trained ears I think the lines are
not the same. If I can stop the 12-14 hour work days
then maybe I can dig out my disclive and studio version
abd compare
illusion dog Posted - 11/08/2004 : 00:44:30
To confuse the issue, the Frank Black and Placebo version of WIMM goes like this; Brian Molko sings the lines:

...except for little fish,
and he told me east is west,
try to cry,
where is my mind...

Frank won't write those lyrics down for anyone

Have a listen. [EDIT: urls removed, sorry] (entire song, ~5MB)
charlesthompson Posted - 11/06/2004 : 06:05:34
i've only heard the surfer rosa version...and if you had asked me to tell you what he was singing on that line wheni just bought the record i couldnt have told you....id have known the sounds but not the words....

then i found out somehow he was singing "except for the little fish, cos he told he swore, trying to talk to me, to me, to me"

and so everytime i heard him singin the line i hear "except for the..."
but it may not be correct, thats just what i would have said if youd asked me now

i know it's all you can see
just little me
it's just little me
Wade Posted - 11/05/2004 : 16:05:46
the lyrics, so far as I know, are "wait wait wai" as posted earlier, not sure where anyone got the "coy koi", though interesting about the "Fight Club" issue.

but did it get posted that koi are those japanese outdoor pond goldfish?

Anyway.
VoVat Posted - 11/05/2004 : 14:48:23
Either that, or a prime example of how it was a mistake not to include the lyrics with Surfer Rosa.

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
George42 Posted - 11/05/2004 : 10:22:25
wow. this thread is a prime example of how fanatic we are about the band and The Man. i love it! of all the songs he has written, here we have a debate on what he says in one line of one song.

nice work.

I'm a humble guy with healthy desire
Douglas Posted - 11/05/2004 : 05:20:41
quote:
Originally posted by Useyourname

On FrankBlackFrancis Frank is singing:

I was swimmin' in the carribean
animals were hidin' behind the rock
except for one little fish
bumped me (but he?) told me he swears trying to talk to me so wait wait wait

I second this. I was actually thinking about this when I listened to the song for the first time yesterday. I heard something like "sway-way-ay" as the last word, but the wait wait wait of course makes more sense.
Useyourname Posted - 11/04/2004 : 23:53:01
I've listened to Surfer Rosa and the Treated FrankBlackFrancis disc. On Surfer Rosa Frank is singing:

bumped me (but he?) told me he swears trying to talk to me to me to me

On FrankBlackFrancis Frank is singing:

bumped me (but he?) told me he swears trying to talk to me so wait wait wait

At least that is what ears are hearing.

jimmy
DruggedBunny Posted - 11/03/2004 : 13:34:18
I'm with Illusion Dog, word for word -- the 'east is west' thing doesn't even sound remotely close. Besides that, you can hear the words quite clearly on several solo (and other) bootlegs.

--
"Nothing to do about it..."
TheCroutonFuton Posted - 11/03/2004 : 10:04:35
coy Pronunciation Key (koi)
adj. coy·er, coy·est

1. Tending to avoid people and social situations; reserved.
2. Affectedly and usually flirtatiously shy or modest. See Synonyms at shy1.
3. Annoyingly unwilling to make a commitment.

Haha, it makes a lot more sense now. The fishes were trying to talk but couldn't because they were too coy.

Penguins can be bitches too.
Distant Star Posted - 11/03/2004 : 06:53:06
Homonyms in action!
vilainde Posted - 11/03/2004 : 06:32:11
Uh... I may miss something here... Does "coy koi" mean anything?

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Distant Star Posted - 11/03/2004 : 06:29:12
My guess is that their need to exactly reproduce what was on the album is less than your need to hear it. It is their creation, and, decades hence, they may have reconsidered or even forgotten certain aspects of what went to tape.
illusion dog Posted - 11/03/2004 : 02:31:02
quote:
Originally posted by fbforever

" When they told me east is west trying to talk to me, coy koi"

Wow that's bizarre. I'd never seen that interpretation before. I'd never heard it either. Here's my guess. I think it's pretty good. Brackets "( )" mean he sometimes skips or slurs over it:

...animals were hiding behind the rock,
except for (one) little fish, bump(ed) into me,
(I) swear it was trying to talk to me,
'said wait, wait, wait,
where is my mind?

I always took the, " 'said wait, wait, wait" line as frank saying to himself, "hold on, your hallucinating man, it's a freaking fish! Where is my mind?"

TheCroutonFuton Posted - 11/02/2004 : 10:12:10
I was watching Fight Club the other night and I turned on the subtitles to see what it said during that part. The sub-titles in Fight Club's credits say "When they told me east is west trying to talk to me, coi koi"

I was pretty surprised by that myself. I don't know if they did their research when they made the subtitles, though, so who knows.

Penguins can be bitches too.
billgoodman Posted - 11/02/2004 : 08:36:24
more like;
except one little fish, but he told me, swear he was trying to talk to me
he said: wait, wait

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Thomas Posted - 11/02/2004 : 07:09:47
My ear never hear the line "When they told me east is west trying to talk to me, coy koi" ever.

That line is just someone on the Internets interpretation. Charles never gave us the lyrics for the first two recordings. By leaving it up to our own interpretations and somehow "coy koi" et al, became the lyrics, just like "a fish from mon shamoo".

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
billgoodman Posted - 11/02/2004 : 07:07:59
I'm sure that everybody will describe the line
When they told me east is west trying to talk to me, coy koi
is total rubbish

no offence, and I like the way it sounds
(not trying to pull of the great Where is my mind debate we've seen here over the years)
but it's most definately not what he sings

it's more in the lines of:
trying to talk to me, he said wait,wait

east is west is not familair to me, but I don't know what he sings their either
I'm sure someone knows it

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000