-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Frank Black Solo Album Pushed Back

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
madtempest Posted - 05/17/2004 : 11:02:11
Frank Black Solo Album Pushed Back
Mon May 17, 2004 01:29 PM ET

By Jonathan Cohen
NEW YORK (Billboard) - With the Pixies' reunion tour doing big business at the ticket counter, frontman Frank Black's next solo album seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Originally pegged to arrive this spring, the double-disc "Frank Black Francis" is now in line for a late summer release via spinART. Sources tell Billboard.com certain variables are still in play that may necessitate pushing the album's release back even later in the year.

In addition, Black is not expected to play any solo shows this year, owing to the fact that the Pixies have dates booked through Dec. 6 in Washington, D.C. "Frank Black Francis" will be the follow-up to 2003's "Show Me Your Tears."

Reuters/Billboard
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
VoVat Posted - 05/19/2004 : 17:54:46
I kind of figured the recording of FBF had already been completed, and they were just waiting for the record company to get into gear. I guess this must not be the case, though, since everyone is giving Frank being busy as the reason why it won't be released in the spring or summer.

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Jason Posted - 05/18/2004 : 09:20:28
Well, this comes as no surprise.

For awhile I thought it might be a good idea to get new Frank stuff out while the Pixies hype is going on, but on second thought it's probably not such a good idea. Any press Frank does all year will be about the Pixies and of course, Frank can't tour any new material until 2005. So while the big dopey fan in me would love to get new stuff released tomorrow, these delays are probably for the best.

No new Frank for awhile, but hey there's lots of other good music you could checking out in the interim. I'm really getting into Alejandro Escovedo lately...
bobcountry Posted - 05/18/2004 : 07:18:18
Here's something I learned at Pitchfork Media this morning.

Frank Black's Solo Pixies Reworkings Delayed; Band Tells Own Story in New Biography
SpinArt reps warily watch fax machine for update
Ryan Schreiber and Micah C. Harding report:
Just prior to the great Pixies reunion, Frank Black had been at work compiling a two-disc set called Frank Black Francis, but with the band booked solid on a tour currently scheduled to take them through the end of 2004, the release has been put on the backburner. Though originally scheduled for a spring release, SpinArt Records, the label slated to release Frank Black Francis, have been unable to pin Black down on a definite street date, and suspect that the record could be delayed until fall-- and possibly longer.

The first of Frank Black Francis' two discs is said to feature Black reworking Pixies classics with all new arrangements, with help from an experimental duo known as Two Pale Boys. Known for their work with Pere Ubu frontman David Thomas, Two Pale Boys features Andy Diagram, who plays trumpet through radio receivers and operates echo machines, and Keith Moliné, who manipulates sound with a MIDI-based guitar setup. Indeed, the recordings (some of which have leaked to filesharing networks) have Two Pale Boys doing just that, while Frank plays guitar and croons the classics. Presently, little is known of the second disc, although sources close to the label confirm that it is likely to compile Black's early pre-Pixies solo demos.

The good news is, every other remotely Pixies-related item and production is coming along as planned. And 4AD's Wave of Mutilation: The Best of the Pixies compilation and newly released Pixies DVD are just the tip of the iceburg:

For the past three years, writer Josh Frank has been conducting interviews with members of the Pixies and their affiliates, compiling an archive of material that he's poured into his musical Teenager of the Year: The Frank Black Musical, which is set to premiere this September in New York City. Additionally, along with Spin writer Caryn Ganz, he's compiled a book that represents the Pixies' legend as told by band members themselves, as well as their friends, family and acquaintances. It also features the comments of such Pixies followers as Tom Yorke, David Bowie, Bono, PJ Harvey, and Dave Grohl.

Translating the title of the Pixies' final album, Frank and Ganz are calling the book Fool the World: An Oral History of the Pixies. The title also parallels a similar biography, Legs McNeil's classic Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk, and is reportedly told in a similar fashion, relying more heavily on quotes than authorial narrative. As Frank and Ganz are still in talks with potential publishers, no definitive date has been set for Fool the World's release, but they're hoping to have it on shelves in time for Christmas.

billgoodman Posted - 05/18/2004 : 01:58:58
I think it's everybody's opinion, darkoutsider

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
darkoutsider Posted - 05/17/2004 : 16:46:38
What if it gets pushed back to the end of the year. That's too long to hear more Frank. I'd be mad... grrr!!!

But that's only my opinion, I could be wrong.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 05/17/2004 : 14:34:37
... errr... probably. :)

"When 5000 posts you reach / Have a life you will not, hmmm?"
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 05/17/2004 : 14:29:16
Yup.

IceCream Posted - 05/17/2004 : 14:02:57
Do you still think it will come out in 2004?
billgoodman Posted - 05/17/2004 : 13:42:38
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

Weird..i'd have have guessed Honeycomb would be the actual follow-up to SMYT..?

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!

yes I still think it is
I mean Frank Black Francis isn't something
that could follow up SMYT when Honeycomb can
I think FBF is in a different league than
FB solo
I also think billboard just called it
a follow up to simplify things

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
oddball Posted - 05/17/2004 : 11:47:19
i certainly hope honeycomb is released before Frank Black Francis. wouldnt a release of Honeycomb coincide well with the Pixies Austin City Limits appearance? Probably wishful thinking.

Erik
Dave Noisy Posted - 05/17/2004 : 11:38:24
Weird..i'd have have guessed Honeycomb would be the actual follow-up to SMYT..?

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
madtempest Posted - 05/17/2004 : 11:23:59
I saw the other after i posted this... confused was I...
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 05/17/2004 : 11:04:02
Some chat on this was done here...
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7774

... but this is the appropriate place, so I'm locking the other one.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000