-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Cecilia Ann Original

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andalusial Posted - 04/27/2004 : 17:08:13
I've tried everywhere to find a copy of the Surftones version of this song. Does anyone have it?
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 11/24/2015 : 14:46:13
Whatever happens to Steve Hoffman (and Pong for the matter)?
Stevio10 Posted - 11/21/2015 : 00:00:22
Sorry to post on such an old thread, I'm sure these guys aren't on the forum anymore.

Stumbled across this thread as BF said he was using Satie's music for a cover recently. Had no idea Cecilia Ann was from Satie's music, or in part inspired by. From a listen pretty sure it is Gnossienne 5.
Alpha Soixante Posted - 07/12/2004 : 11:15:29
I'm curious about the cecilia ann link to Satie. I've checked his works and couldn't find a thing. The closest I found was a song by a contemporary of Satie's, Gabriel Faure, called "Sicilienne." I.e., Sicilian. A stretch? It's closer than "three songs in the shape of a pear."
Zsolt G. Posted - 07/12/2004 : 09:52:35
Off topic...kind of, but I read at some point that the Pixies originally planned to to The Shadows "Apache" to start that record. Maybe they found out that Hank Marvin couldn't surf. Did the Pixies ever play "Apache" live?
Devils Islander Posted - 07/12/2004 : 04:33:07
My mate Coxy's girlfriend is named Cecelia, but everyone calls her 'Cess'. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

...where the Ballyhoos and the Tritons are.
VoVat Posted - 05/14/2004 : 20:22:57
Is Frosty the Surftone a jolly, happy soul?

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
whoreatthedoor Posted - 05/14/2004 : 01:29:08
A beautiful name

"Join the Cult of the whore at the door / And You'll find no answers, but real fun"
Jefery With One F Posted - 05/13/2004 : 16:46:39
That's funny, because just last month my wife and I were talking about naming a daughter Cecilia Ann.
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 05/13/2004 : 16:23:45
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hoffman

Frosty is still a great friend of mine. He works in Nashville and I talk to him a lot. We're still working on a follow up song, heh.

The origin of the song? I'll give you a hint: If you are a fan of the classical composer Eric Satie, give a browse through his works. You'll find the origin of our song in there....:^)

www.stevehoffman.tv

I'm familiar with him, but stumped!

Awwwwwwwwwww Lil' Buddage!
cheshireycat Posted - 05/13/2004 : 14:51:01
My online friend (maybe the same person) plans to name his daughter Cecilia Ann. And I have a cousin named Ana Cecilia.
whoreatthedoor Posted - 05/09/2004 : 23:34:46
Another thing to remark. I've heard someone in this forum will name her daughter Cecilia Ann. I'm not sure about his name, but somebody would tell him about this topic.

"Join the Cult of the whore at the door / And You'll find no answers, but real fun"
billgoodman Posted - 05/09/2004 : 14:22:14
Hey I like Eric Satie
my girl plays his
Gnosienes pt.1,2,3 all the time

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
DruggedBunny Posted - 05/09/2004 : 11:30:10
I read that Frosty is a well known Nashville producer -- he should be doing Frank's new Nashville album!

In my ignorance, I am blissfully unaware of Eric Satie, but I'll get right on the case... and that is an excellent quote from 'hec' ^^^ ...!

--
"Nothing to do about it..."
hec Posted - 05/09/2004 : 05:40:28
if your only going to write one song, Cecilia Ann is a good choice..hec
ShakeyShake Posted - 05/08/2004 : 15:34:44
More clues!

"I joined the Cult of this guy / 'cause they took my other picture away
Steve Hoffman Posted - 05/08/2004 : 14:22:02
Frosty is still a great friend of mine. He works in Nashville and I talk to him a lot. We're still working on a follow up song, heh.

The origin of the song? I'll give you a hint: If you are a fan of the classical composer Eric Satie, give a browse through his works. You'll find the origin of our song in there....:^)

www.stevehoffman.tv
DruggedBunny Posted - 05/08/2004 : 12:14:54
That is so cool, Steve -- I have the "Surf Legends and Rumors" CD with Cecilia Ann on (and that song is the reason I bought it). Do you still have any contact with Frosty Horton? And as someone else asks, who's Cecilia Ann?

--
"Nothing to do about it..."
billgoodman Posted - 05/08/2004 : 03:51:15
the surftones should reunite mr.Hoffman!
go talk to 'frosty'

badronald Posted - 05/07/2004 : 22:40:38
So what's the story? Who is Cecilia?
Steve Hoffman Posted - 05/07/2004 : 12:31:01
Royalties? Sure!

www.stevehoffman.tv
ShakeyShake Posted - 05/07/2004 : 10:28:56
Did you receive any royalties for the pixies using the track?

whoreatthedoor Posted - 05/07/2004 : 06:15:15
I've downloaded it. It's a pretty good song. Can't understand why the Surftones didn't go on.

P.S.: There is an alt rock spanish band called Cecilia Ann.

Douglas Posted - 05/06/2004 : 13:09:58
yeah! Call me if you need any help

I actually play in a band with surf inspired sound. My newly bought EHX Holy Grail reverb pedal really helps, too. (Can't afford one of them expensive Fender amps... yet.)
Steve Hoffman Posted - 05/06/2004 : 12:58:45
We only recorded one song with some crap for the B side. It cost a lot of money in those days to cut a record. My allowance was only like $5.00 a week in those days!

It totally blew me away when the Pixies called us up and wanted to cover the song. It's time for the Surftones to write another one!

www.stevehoffman.tv
Douglas Posted - 05/06/2004 : 12:58:03
not so great chances I pressume. But it desereved it!

EDIT: and no, I'm not sucking up to him
Malax Posted - 05/06/2004 : 12:53:25
What are the chances of that? One song and it gets covered by one of the greatest bands ever.

I May've Joined The Cult Of Frank If I Knew What The Balls Was Going On.

*Adapted By Carolynanna*
Douglas Posted - 05/06/2004 : 12:34:21
Oh. Cool. Do you mind if people download your song? Bet the compilation is kind of hard to find here in Sweden. Great song!
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 05/06/2004 : 12:20:56
You should license it to iTunes. For the masses.
ShakeyShake Posted - 05/06/2004 : 11:37:43
You guys only ever recorded one song?

Steve Hoffman Posted - 05/06/2004 : 11:29:31

"Steve do you have a record out?"

Actually, I don't. Our SURFTONES only recorded one song back then. But it has proved to be a goodie! Hey, maybe the SURFTONES can reunite just like the Pixies, heh. I wonder if Frosty Horton would be up for it?

By the way that is Frosty playing lead guitar and bass guitar on CECILIA ANN. I'm playing drums and rhythm gee-tar...

That's my foot wacking the Fender Twin amp with the reverb turned all the way up at the beginning of the song. Frank "borrowed" it for the Pixies version. :^)

www.stevehoffman.tv
billgoodman Posted - 05/05/2004 : 23:12:32
Wow! He mastered Pet Sounds!

billgoodman Posted - 05/05/2004 : 23:11:04
I mean not one you mastered, but one you wrote
with more stuff like Cecillia Ann

billgoodman Posted - 05/05/2004 : 23:07:32
Damnit! That's very very cool
He Steve do you have a record out?

Steve Hoffman Posted - 05/05/2004 : 17:45:21
Hi,

I'm Steve Hoffman, one of the writers of CECILIA ANN along with Charles "Frosty" Horton.

I'm so glad the Pixies found our little song on a CD compilation I issued at DCC Compact Classics called SURF LEGENDS AND RUMORS. I felt that our little "Surftones" song belonged on there as much as any of the other songs and I'm glad I put it on the disc. This whole PIXIES connection has been a dream come true for us; such a great band.

I recently mastered for CD a bunch of Frank Black demos and B sides. Watch for it soon.

Any questions you want to ask me about the song, feel free to here or come to my Forum at www.stevehoffman.tv

I'm excited that the PIXIES have reunited. I hear they knocked 'em dead at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival!

www.stevehoffman.tv
IceCream Posted - 04/29/2004 : 20:36:00
It's been released on a CD compilation called "Surf Legends", I think. It's a very good original version.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000