-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 Opening Bands for Warm-Up Tour

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dave Noisy Posted - 04/14/2004 : 08:37:43
We saw that The Capitol Years opened in MN, here are the rest:

Winnipeg - Ham
Regina - Despistado
Sask - Junior Pantherz
Edmonton - The Floor
Calgary - The Buzzing Bees*
Victoria - Leeroy Stagger
Vancouver (22nd) - Black Mountain (aka Jerk with a Bomb)
Vancouver (23rd) - Joel RL Phelps with the Secret Three
Spokane - Alien Crime Syndicate*
Boise - ??
Eugene (27th) - Audio Learning Center*
Eugene (28th) - Helio Sequence*
Davis - ??

* - not official, but likely!

Just missing Calgary for Canada - lemme know if you know who it is, and the US dates as well, thanks!

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
torontocanuck Posted - 09/14/2005 : 21:59:48
Thanks!
naghammadi Posted - 10/22/2004 : 12:43:00
thanks for asking wade. i just got back (it is a lot of working setting up, managing, and tearing down 2 stages AND play in three of the bands...).

it was a lot of work and a lot of fun. i don't know if they heard us or not, but it was sweet. for nag hammadi's first show of the festival, we had sonic youth playing while i set up my gear. then nag played, and as i tore down, the pixies were playing! how cool is that for work music??? then worms union played (my other band).

overall it was more fun than a barrel of monkies - and i am not talking about normal everyday run-of-the-mill monkeys, i am talking about a barrel of REALLY fun monkeys that tell jokes and do song and dance routines wearing people clothes.

anyway, yeah.
gauth Posted - 10/18/2004 : 07:42:11
The opening bands for Houston - Oct 17 were The Thrills and The Killers. I've only seen the second one and they really kicked ass!
Wade Posted - 10/16/2004 : 23:22:51
So Nag, did they hear you? how did it go?

And does anyone know who's opening the Houston show tomorrow? *looks at tickets*

naghammadi Posted - 10/11/2004 : 15:37:40
two of my bands are SORTA opening up for the pixies at the voodoo fest in new orleans. the bands are Nag Hammadi and Worms Union.

we will have a stage setup in the field next to the stage they will be playing on on saturday. we are actually playing in the time stage slot before sonic youth, and then again before the pixies.

we will aslo have a stage setup in a different area.

one of my boyhood dreams was to be on the same poster as the pixies and sonic youth , and i did it this summer with both at once!!! woohoo!

now if only they hear us. :)
J. Posted - 09/15/2004 : 20:37:10
www.hamtheband.com
quote:
Originally posted by porkbone1

I was trying to find the website for the band that opened up in winnipeg. If you were there, you know how awesome they were. Is this their website?

http://www.heavenlyham.com/corporate/index.asp

The joke has come upon me

J. Posted - 09/15/2004 : 20:15:21
any body that want to check out that band from winnipeg here is the web address:

www.hamtheband.com
El Barto Posted - 06/06/2004 : 09:52:21
From what Jeremy (of The Bennies) told me after talking to FB, they're going to split the tour into 4...and each member is going to pick an opening band (or two?) for a number of dates. FB said that The Bennies are at the top of his list, second only to Reid Paley. David Lovering is also a huge fan of The Bennies, so there's quite a good chance they'll be opening certain dates.

Boycott cults and t's
BhopalStiff Posted - 06/06/2004 : 09:32:04
So yeah, I want to know more about bands opening for the Pixies on their full North American tour in the fall. Do you think it will be like a couple constant bands, or different bands every city?

Catch ya later, Bill and Ted!
klikger Posted - 05/13/2004 : 01:14:40
So, who is confirmed if anyone for the fall U.S. dates? PJ Harvey?
porkbone1 Posted - 05/12/2004 : 19:18:28
I was trying to find the website for the band that opened up in winnipeg. If you were there, you know how awesome they were. Is this their website?

http://www.heavenlyham.com/corporate/index.asp

astrosurfer Posted - 05/06/2004 : 05:34:16
hi,
Does someone know about berlin date,29.06.200 at kindl-buhne wuhleide?
on my ticket there is wrote
PIXIES
+special guest ash & franz ferdinand
i hope that is not a mini-festival but a Pixies date,
however i'll go........thanks

sorry for my english language..
boisepixie Posted - 05/04/2004 : 11:55:31
[/quote] *shrug* I didn't think they were all that bad. The only negative I really noticed was that the songs were too slow paced for my oh-my-God-I'm-about-to-see-The-Pixies mood.
[/quote]

Yeah. I think they had a tough job... a mellow banding opening for the Pixies. Nobody knew them or their songs, everyone wanted them off the stage and the Pixies on. All that considered, I think they were well received. I bet if they were opening for a mellower act, they would have gone over better. I heard the girl at the Pixies' merch table say that they were the first opening act that got applause and the best on the tour so far. I'm sure that will change once they play with Radiohead in Cali.
KidGrain Posted - 04/29/2004 : 16:28:25
The Helio Sequence on 4/28 in Eugene kind of left me "meh." I like a good duo but the tape loops were a bit odd and the songs never jelled. Clearly they could play their instruments pretty well but less than a day later I can't remember any of their tunes other than the "Tomorrow Never Knows" cover.
sar2143 Posted - 04/29/2004 : 14:06:02
The Invasion weren't too bad. But they weren't great. They 'sounded' like a bad Radiohead cover band. They were playing original songs, but they sounded very obviously like Radiohead.

In fact, midway through their third song, a particularly mellow one, this guy next to me yelled out, "Play CREEP!" It was quite amusing.
PleaseDrinkMilk Posted - 04/27/2004 : 19:51:40
quote:
Originally posted by RicoPhoenix

Quote:

"The Special Goodness meets toned down b-sides of Ozma's Spending Time On The Borderline."

Rico's quick capsule review:

They blew.
Imagine the kids from a GAP commercial.
Now imagine them singing the same song over and over.
Thats 'The Invasion'.

*shrug* I didn't think they were all that bad. The only negative I really noticed was that the songs were too slow paced for my oh-my-God-I'm-about-to-see-The-Pixies mood.
RicoPhoenix Posted - 04/27/2004 : 02:27:04
Quote:

"The Special Goodness meets toned down b-sides of Ozma's Spending Time On The Borderline."

Rico's quick capsule review:

They blew.
Imagine the kids from a GAP commercial.
Now imagine them singing the same song over and over.
Thats 'The Invasion'.
PleaseDrinkMilk Posted - 04/26/2004 : 15:42:12
quote:
Originally posted by klikger

Who opened Boise? Built to Spill? Please, please, please tell.

nope, a local band (that I'd never heard before) called The Invasion. I'd describe them as "The Special Goodness meets toned down b-sides of Ozma's Spending Time On The Borderline."
klikger Posted - 04/26/2004 : 00:46:40
Who opened Boise? Built to Spill? Please, please, please tell.
pixiesseixip Posted - 04/26/2004 : 00:14:02
UC DAVIS OPENING BAND = QUITTER

see you there!
chrischob Posted - 04/19/2004 : 20:27:46
They are playing the Albert on May 29, you could come on up for the weekend for HAM-fest.

Maybe I could just video tape their show and sell copies here :)

Chris Choboter
porkbone1 Posted - 04/19/2004 : 19:14:08
HOLY SHIT that's funny. I only wish it were longer. I totally want to see those guys again.

chrischob Posted - 04/19/2004 : 13:52:00
Sorry I just got a 10sec clip of Who Dropped the Bomb. The quality isnt that good but it sure brings back memories...

http://members.shaw.ca/padmai/bomb.avi

Chris Choboter
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 04/19/2004 : 07:36:12
Holy crap, if you have video of them stepping back from the mics, I'd be forever in your debt! I was trying in vain to explain the hilarity of this to non-attendees.

HEEYYYYYYAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

<song>

<song>

Yeah, that count in thing was hilarious too! Why did they count in there? They weren't leading up to anything. They just counted and kept playing as though they'd not counted. Funny stuff!

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
sloy Posted - 04/19/2004 : 06:53:15
Me I think that could be cool if the band to open for the pixies are the band who play on the pixies tribute(weezer,local h,promise ring,nada surf,man or astroman...)You don't think it's a good idea?

sloy
chrischob Posted - 04/16/2004 : 23:02:36
My favorite HAM song was the Treetrunk song. I also liked when they all stood about 10 feet back from the mics and yelled into them.

I'm seriously thinking of going to their show at the Albert at the end of May

Here's a pic of them, I also have a short video clip of them too.

Who dropped the bomb?

Chris Choboter
porkbone1 Posted - 04/16/2004 : 21:50:44
HAM!

SpeedyM, Cult of Frank, my wife and I were waiting in line for our Disclive discs in Winnipeg... we couldn't stop talking about HAM. Those guys were the BOMB! Or did they "drop the bomb?" I don't remember. Who did drop the bomb anyway? Damn. We especially liked the part where they counted 1,2,3,4 in the middle of the song and then kept on playing just like they were playing before the counting. WOO!

Instead of following the Pixies, we thought of following HAM for the rest of their warm-up tour.

johndietzel Posted - 04/15/2004 : 19:57:26
Holy smokies. Raul's band opening for the freaking Pixies!

----------------------
"But, wait--there's more! If you act now, you can also mosey Monday morning into your cozy T1-powered cubicle, whose Athlon 2200+ based nervous system represents yet another distinct and grassy knoll for snipers like you. Oh yeah, and your wife reclines behind her very own version of a Herkimer Battle Jitney, from which she employs the electromagnet's 'next inevitable phase' of a non-lethal weapon, and enthusiastically, and with supreme loyalty, psychofraculatingly hollers 'fire in the hole!'"
yarbles Posted - 04/15/2004 : 14:59:41
Me too, that's my birthday
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 04/15/2004 : 14:57:08
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

And it looks like Ash will open for the Pixies on June 14th in Paris.

Denis

Holy shit Batman!!!

I wish I was going to that show!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Cheeseman1000 Posted - 04/15/2004 : 14:53:31
Anyone have any ideas for Brixton?

"Join The Cult Of Wormy Cheese Man/In Ten Words Or Less"
boom_cheek_aroon Posted - 04/15/2004 : 14:49:45
i want built to spill to open boise.

-------------------------

www.lorddusty.com

How bout a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?

-Boyerman
yarbles Posted - 04/15/2004 : 10:32:03
Hey, if no one cares, MY band could open for them in Boise. We'll all be there anyway!

www.nationalholiday.net
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/15/2004 : 09:32:37
thanks jetblackriver... i love their coverart ...for some reason I wasn't able to get it to play. i'll try again tho.

LaFemme...wow that is so cool about the capitol years. If i had the musical talent i would start a band and hope i could open for the Pixies just for that awesome vantage point. Lucky bastages

Guess there's probably no word of who is opening up for the Pixies in St. Paul, MN yet.
hibster Posted - 04/15/2004 : 07:30:12
vilainde - do you know who it will be on the 7th?

this is why events unerve me

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000