-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Frank in Nashville

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ten Percenter Posted - 03/31/2004 : 12:24:10
Thanks for the news Dave, but do you have any more info? Do you know who Frank is recording with in Nashville, or is it "nameless" session musicians?

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tobafett Posted - 08/11/2004 : 10:22:36
That is so seriously cool...thanks tons for the update JT...2005 is not too far away to wait! nor is october to wait for more info...thanks again for keeping us fans in the know!

(until then, pixies shows!)

whoo-hoo!!
Frog in the Sand Posted - 08/11/2004 : 07:00:31
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

HONEYCOMB is complete and we will have some news---hopefully soon---as to when it will be released and on what label.

quote:
There will be more news in October.

quote:
p.s. ok, I know all of you are dying for info on HONEYCOMB.

quote:
Ellis Hooks (whose new album UNCOMPLICATED on Artemis was produced by yours truly and I highly recommend it).

quote:
That's all I am permitted to disclose at the present time.

Thanks!

Join the Cult of Jon T. / and win your weight in cereals
CaptainMaximus Posted - 08/11/2004 : 06:54:11
More news in October? Hmmm...! Thanks for the info. Quite a lineup there, and I'm looking forward to hearing how all this legendary blood has pumped something new into FB's work.
Jontiven Posted - 08/11/2004 : 06:23:51
To reiterate, the duet vocalist was Shemekia Copeland but the track is not making the final sequence for the record. HONEYCOMB is complete and we will have some news---hopefully soon---as to when it will be released and on what label.
There will be more news in October.
best,
Jon Tiven
p.s. ok, I know all of you are dying for info on HONEYCOMB. There are 14 songs on it. Guitars by Steve Cropper, Buddy Miller & Reggie Young. Bass-David Hood. Keys-Spooner Oldham. Drums-Billy Block,
Anton Fig, Chester Thompson and Akil Thompson. The background vocals are by James Griffin (Bread fans, take note), Dan Penn (soul music legend), Spooner Oldham (ditto) and Ellis Hooks (whose new album UNCOMPLICATED on Artemis was produced by yours truly and I highly recommend it). The album has 14 tracks, all killer no filler. The covers are "Dark End of the Street," "Song of the Shrimp," and "Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day."
That's all I am permitted to disclose at the present time.
Hanoi333 Posted - 08/10/2004 : 05:35:30
You will never guess the mystery singer.
But I will give a hint. Several, actually.
She is a woman of color under thirty. She has been on the covers of many magazines, but will most likely be unfamiliar to all of you. She is not of the pop idiom.
My telling you this is just to eliminate random guessing. I find it highly unlikely that anyone will be able to figure out who it is, and even when she is revealed, most of you will say "Who?" But she sings beautifully and has won many awards and has a sizeable audience of her own that rarely intersects with the FB audience.
I will be doing the recording in mid-July and will reveal all when it's done.
best,
JT

Maybe the misterious singer is the Famous Vietnamese woman singer "Hong Nhung", who is on many covers of magazines in VN,great vocalist and probably won many prices nationally, one problem I would not call her coloured, would be nice though!
Hanoi333 Posted - 08/10/2004 : 05:08:52
By the way, whatever happened to funk?
Does it mean that Frank is trying to become funky next time?
Does he want to make funk alive again? Maybe on this album or the next one we will even hear some funky saxophone tunes.
Well maybe that`s not a good idea if it don`t fit with Frank`s style.
twist Posted - 08/08/2004 : 13:43:19
I'm completely unfamiliar with %96 of these songs(probably heard a few live) but my unqualified gut feeling is the longer all these songs sit around unreleased, the greater the chance FB'll want to continue retweaking. My own irresponsible spidey senses tell me this could end up being one of the greatest records ever.
Ten Percenter Posted - 07/30/2004 : 00:14:08
and Scotland! Well, it is the Auld Alliance, after all. Thanks for the news Jon, although 2005 seems a long way off. Patience is a virtue I haven't got.

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)
Frog in the Sand Posted - 07/29/2004 : 11:50:46
Thanks Jon.

Not only the spirit of Honeycomb is alive, but it's already flooding France!

"Join the Cult of Jon T. / and win your weight in cereals"
TheCroutonFuton Posted - 07/29/2004 : 11:40:50
2005? That saddens me. Oh well...

"Freedom is a state of mind and the condition and position of your ass. Free your mind and your ass will follow." - Funkadelic
Monsieur Posted - 07/29/2004 : 11:05:31
Cool Mr Tiven, thank you for keeping the spirit of Honeycomb alive.
Jontiven Posted - 07/29/2004 : 11:00:15
The song Shemekia did with Frank was "Highway To Lowdown" and it did not make the final sequence, the reports of it being a 14-song cd are indeed accurate. When it will get released is still an open question, but I would guess 2005.
My understanding is that the Pixies recorded a song for the Warren Zevon tribute. So you are correct sir.
best wishes,
Jon Tiven
Avid-Fan Posted - 07/25/2004 : 17:35:09
quote:
Originally posted by LUTINS

Is it true that the next pixies song will be a song of Warren Zevon ?

union pour la propulsion de la promotion photonique pixienne

Yes apparently so, "ain't that pretty at all" is supposedly the track..

(( I talk plain talk ))
Avid-Fan Posted - 07/25/2004 : 17:30:07
Thank you JT! I suppose any time-frame for releasing "honeycomb" could appear to be awkward, w/ Pixies machinations in progress, etc. BUT I do hope it is sooner [2004] rather than later.. I would just hate it to slip thru the cracks if it's left sitting on the shelf too long..

Maybe there could be a Ltd Ed. release with a 2nd disc, like the Euro version of Cult of Ray. It would be nice to have most/all of the tracks from the same session/s available in some way.. Really looking forward to the realease, whenever it is...

(( I talk plain talk ))
Ten Percenter Posted - 07/25/2004 : 13:16:15
Thanks Jon. I hope the album comes out this year, although I fear that this is unlikely given Franks Pixies commitments.

LUTINS Posted - 07/25/2004 : 12:56:19
Is it true that the next pixies song will be a song of Warren Zevon ?

union pour la propulsion de la promotion photonique pixienne
Monsieur Posted - 07/25/2004 : 12:32:59
Now all we need to know is when it is going to be released. Man, I can't wait to hear it, I've never been so curious about a FB album.
Frog in the Sand Posted - 07/25/2004 : 11:41:46
Hi and thanks Jon,

- What's the song Shemekia sings on?
- Is it true that only 14 songs made the final cut?

( http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9080 )

"Join the Cult of Jon T. / and win your weight in cereals"
Jontiven Posted - 07/25/2004 : 11:05:27
Just so nobody gets excited, disappointed, etc for no reason....the Frank Black/Shemekia Copeland duet, although recorded and mixed, will most likely NOT appear on "Honeycomb" mainly because its mood does not fit in with the rest of the record. But it is extraordinary and hopefully there will be an occasion in the future that will prompt its release.
The record is, finally, finished and moving in the direction of being in the public hands.
best,
Jon Tiven
mereubu Posted - 06/27/2004 : 20:27:06
Thanks, Adrian!
NimrodsSon Posted - 06/27/2004 : 19:34:45
It's Shemekia Copeland and the thread is here: http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8119&whichpage=2

ˇViva los Católicos!
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 06/27/2004 : 19:01:41
quote:
Originally posted by whitenoisemaker

Seriously...it's Missy Elliot.

Really?
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 06/27/2004 : 16:08:16
I don't remember the name nor the thread, unfortunately, but it's there somewhere for the soul who is not too lazy/busy to look. Which rules me out doubly.

"When 5000 posts you reach / Look as good you will not, hmmm?"
whitenoisemaker Posted - 06/27/2004 : 13:11:17
Seriously...it's Missy Elliot.
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 06/27/2004 : 12:05:22
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

The answer to this was already revealed in some other thread...

What thread pray tell and/or who is it?
mereubu Posted - 06/27/2004 : 12:04:28
Dur, then reveal it here too, Dean! :P
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 06/27/2004 : 11:27:08
The answer to this was already revealed in some other thread...

Mac E. Doobage Posted - 06/27/2004 : 08:05:50
[quote]Originally posted by Jontiven

She is a woman of color under thirty. She has been on the covers of many magazines, but will most likely be unfamiliar to all of you. She is not of the pop idiom.
My telling you this is just to eliminate random guessing. I find it highly unlikely that anyone will be able to figure out who it is, and even when she is revealed, most of you will say "Who?" But she sings beautifully and has won many awards and has a sizeable audience of her own that rarely intersects with the FB audience.
best,
JT

Well after much thought iI will make an educated guess and please tell me if I am wrong:

ANGIE STONE
Ten Percenter Posted - 06/25/2004 : 02:45:21
Where is Mr Tiven? Are you still working on the "Honeycomb" overdubs, Jon? Any more news - did you manage to secure the services of the mystery vocalist (Ms Copeland)?

alan dean his problems Posted - 06/08/2004 : 10:09:22
I wonder if Joe Meek's classic UFO song, possibly the first of its kind and genre, would ever be covered by Frank? I am speaking of course about Skymen (1960). Geoff Goddard being the writer and singer, one of Meek's strangest songs indeed.

Also, wouldn't Peter Laughner be up for grabs here too? I can easily see and would love to hear Frank's version of any of his songs. Maybe David Thomas and Frank as a duo covering Laughner.

One last note, if the models for Tati's Playtime, the city buildings used in the street shots, if these are still around I think they ought to be used in a video or something. Originally these models stood quite high, ten to twelve feet I believe.
ramona Posted - 05/27/2004 : 15:10:18
What is the womans name...Jill Stuart? I think that is it. She's the only person I can think of and I doubt she is under 30. Hmmm. I love a good mystery!

VoVat Posted - 05/27/2004 : 14:14:16
quote:
or maybe Aretha Franklin? Tina Turner? Billie Holliday? Kim Deal? :)

They're under 30?

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
apl4eris Posted - 05/27/2004 : 13:56:32
Skin from Skunk Anansi?

If the only tool you have is an elbow macaroni,
all your problems look like Schroedinger's cat.
Atheist4Catholics Posted - 05/27/2004 : 10:23:16
Billie Holliday would definitely be a surprise being dead and all.

I think it's Naomi Campbell.

"Join the Cult of Frank / or The Clops gets it!"
Frog in the Sand Posted - 05/27/2004 : 07:31:56
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

best,
JT

Alicia Keys?
Ashanti?
India Arie?...

or maybe Aretha Franklin? Tina Turner? Billie Holliday? Kim Deal? :)

"Welcome back to the 10th grade!"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000