-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 Webster Hall NYC - 12/9/19

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SmurfyX Posted - 12/14/2019 : 17:03:36
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pixies/2019/webster-hall-new-york-ny-b9a594a.html

This was a hell of a show. I was really truly counting on hearing Tame since they played it so much recently and I've never gotten to see this live, but I'll live.

There were a couple shitshow crowd members, especially this red haired guy who was plastered beyond redemption hassling people at the front, but boy howdy.

Highlights for me were Silver Bullet, Planet of Sound (HELL yes, what I wouldn't give for a full Trompe Le Monde album concert), Daniel Boone sounding just as good live as it does on their wonderful record, seeing them destroy Cecilia Ann live, hearing SNAKES IN PERSON (!!!!!!!!), a truly beautiful version of Havalina, a hall shaking rendition of Nimrod's Son and St Nazaire, and just overall so much Bossanova.

There was no encore as the venue was closing.

Overall it was worth the cost of flying to NYC just to get in here. They played some really great stuff and did it with gumption I just didn't see when I saw them with Weezer and Sleigh Bells back in Summer of 2018. I'm really glad they did these little shows to close the year.

The only downside for me was during Long Rider Paz's mic was turned too low and I couldn't hear her bridge of the song, and I really love that part. I'll live though. Glad I was there.

I was up front, one person back from the guard rail. Beside me was a 50+ year old man there on his own holding his suit jacker, two dudes at the rail who were easily in their forties, beside a couple of kids who maybe were 20, and a smattering of people from all other ages. All of them singing just as hard as everyone else.

Love this fuckin' band.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 02/29/2020 : 15:49:11
Setlist from when I saw them at Webster Hall back when it was the Ritz, Feb 5 1992

1. Velvety (Instrumental)
2. Brick Is Red
3. Something Against You
4. Ana
5. Cecilia Ann
6. Levitate Me
7. Stormy Weather
8. All Over the World
9. The Happening
10. The Sad Punk
11. Rock Music (aborted)
12. Cactus
13. Distance Equals Rate Times Time
14. Subbacultcha
15. Here Comes Your Man
16. Dead
17. Manta Ray
18. Head ON
19. U-Mass
20. Motorway to Roswell
21. Letter to Memphis
22. Palace of the Brine
23. Planet of Sound
24. Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons
25. Trompe Le Monde
26. Is She Weird
27. Caribou
28. Mr. Grieves
29. Weird At My School
30. Nimrod's Son
31. Debaser

Seems like that's the sort of setlist we're all asking for today, with 3-4 from the 2.0 albums
picpic Posted - 02/29/2020 : 07:11:40
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

quote:
Originally posted by SmurfyX

fuck me would I kill for a Trompe/Bossanova tour like they did with Doolittle. I know it wouldn't be as popular but...man

Tons of people (even casual fans) LOVE many of the tracks from those albums. They may not REALIZE this, because they came to the band through Greatest Hits packages or live shows or watching YouTube videos of concerts stretching back decades.

Adding to this, Joey said that Bossanova is his favourite and I believe Dave cited Space as his favourite Pixies song. So presumably the band would be enthusiastic about touring that material, too.

It's been 15+ years since the reunion, I've lost hope.

___
"Service Unavailable"
tamefan Posted - 02/28/2020 : 23:07:14
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

quote:

fuck me would I kill for a Trompe/Bossanova tour like they did with Doolittle. I know it wouldn't be as popular but...man

Tons of people (even casual fans) LOVE many of the tracks from those albums. They may not REALIZE this, because they came to the band through Greatest Hits packages or live shows or watching YouTube videos of concerts stretching back decades.

Adding to this, Joey said that Bossanova is his favourite and I believe Dave cited Space as his favourite Pixies song. So presumably the band would be enthusiastic about touring that material, too.
stuczuba Posted - 01/19/2020 : 21:46:48
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

Nice set, that Havalina outro is such a highlight :)

Does look like they've excavated all the deep cuts we're going to get for the moment... If their Mgt is as savvy as they're hyped up to be then I hope they're consciously building up demand for some post-Doolittle themed shows.

It shouldn't be a big deal for them - they seem to be slotting in COP/Pilgrim shows occasionally while still playing hits and the new stuff and they're all selling out :)
It's not even that many extra songs to learn and Paz takes all the ancient Kim stuff out of the equation.
Wait til the summer festival season is out of the way and get on with it before the next album.
peter radiator Posted - 01/19/2020 : 08:17:21
quote:

Although this seems to be a common refrain among folks on these boards, I believe it's a complete fallacy.

Seriously.

But they love those songs, and would instantly fall in line for a thematic tour of that sort (which of course would inevitably wind up featuring a few fan fave tracks from the other albums tacked on at the end).

At least that's my firm belief, for whatever such a thing might be worth.

:)

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
SmurfyX Posted - 01/18/2020 : 21:36:04
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

Does look like they've excavated all the deep cuts we're going to get for the moment... If their Mgt is as savvy as they're hyped up to be then I hope they're consciously building up demand for some post-Doolittle themed shows.

stuczuba Posted - 12/15/2019 : 07:14:08

picpic Posted - 12/14/2019 : 20:01:32
Nearly 40 songs ! wow

___
"Service Unavailable"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000