-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 Weezer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bedbug Posted - 06/25/2018 : 10:37:43
I know nothing about the band, other than they are touring with the 2.0s.

I mean I’ve heard of them obviously, but couldn’t name a song of theirs.

Anyone on the forum a big fan?

Favorite song?

Recommended listens?

Cool story?

I’m planning on checking them out this week, so any input is welcome.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pixiestu Posted - 04/24/2021 : 15:07:24
OK Human is absolutely beautiful. I just read an earlier post from myself about how disappointing and predictable the more recent Weezer output is but OK Human was unbelievably refreshing.

I think the substitution of electric guitars for classical instruments is a masterstroke and despite some of the lockdown heavy lyrics on some songs, gives it a bit more of a timeless feel than most of their other albums and after only a few months of being released it's in my top 3 Weezer albums with Pinkerton and Blue.
TarTar Posted - 04/24/2021 : 13:02:20
The OK Human album released a few months ago was way better than I would have expected. I'm not sure I'm gonna like this Van Weezer one, though.

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
peter radiator Posted - 12/20/2018 : 10:25:15
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

[quote]

Great mix of two things that are lamer than ever? SNL and Weezer?

YEP.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Bedbug Posted - 12/19/2018 : 23:22:49
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

Heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab5WvwfLuLM

--

Great mix of two things that are lamer than ever? SNL and Weezer?
peter radiator Posted - 12/16/2018 : 14:50:37
Heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab5WvwfLuLM

--

hammerhands Posted - 12/16/2018 : 00:41:47
There’s one Weezer song that takes parts of two Pixies songs and puts them together.

That, Buddy Holly and floop’s loathing are all I know.
pixiestu Posted - 12/16/2018 : 00:27:12
Having been high (and low) on Pinkerton for the last year or so, after only just being introduced to it, it's really disappointing to hear some of the more recent Weezer output.

But it is what it is. I guess that's the downside of such a personal, honest record; you can't fake it to try and do the same thing again, no matter how much the fans want a return to the glory days.

I think a lot of Weezer fans think they want another Pinkerton. I think it would be too contrived at this stage.
TarTar Posted - 12/13/2018 : 17:33:03
Pinkerton was self-produced. They were going for more of a Steve Albini vibe, thus why it's a little more rough around the edges than the debut (the latter of which it's worth noting was basically all Rivers on guitar, Brian Bell's different style of playing varies up Pinkerton a lot more).

I bought that album right after it came out when I was 16 and it was exactly the record I needed at that age. A lot of the lyrical themes went over my head at the time but I could tell that it was honest and confessional in a way little else I was hearing at the time was and that was huge at that age. So it's still an important record to me 22 years later.

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
Bedbug Posted - 11/07/2018 : 11:52:16
I will try some of these tracks you recommend, thanks pixiestu
pixiestu Posted - 11/04/2018 : 14:14:57
quote:

Gotta be honest, couldn’t make it through the album. Doesn’t do it for me. Didn’t even like Buddy Holly.

I would imagine there will be some Pixies fans at the tour who will skip the Weezer portion and vice versa.

I'm so late to this but Pinkerton, in my opinion, is probably a better starting point for any Pixies fan.

I may be mistaken but I think Pinkerton was self produced and as a consequence was a bit more raw sounding, the lyrics are more personal to Rivers and overall it's just heavier in parts, yet still poppy. I really like the way the drums sound, especially on the opening track to kick off the album.

Tracks I'd recommend:

Tired of Sex
Getchoo
Across The Sea
El Scorcho
Falling For You

It's become a very important album to me over the past year. If anyone has a chance to see Pixies and Weezer in 2019, do it! I just wish they had some UK dates together!

"The arc of triumph"
picpic Posted - 07/02/2018 : 23:34:59
Hey I was all wrong. It was a mpeg.

___
"Service Unavailable"
picpic Posted - 07/02/2018 : 20:25:10
quote:
Originally posted by coastline
I remember the video from the Windows 95 CD, too, picpic. Wasn't there also an Edie Brickell video? In the rain or something?

Right ! I forgot about that one.

It was the big thing back then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqi2Jy0UMiA

___
"Service Unavailable"
Discoking Posted - 06/28/2018 : 01:32:51
quote:

I would imagine there will be some Pixies fans at the tour who will skip the Weezer portion and vice versa.

definitely. they're a weird combination.

it's educational
coastline Posted - 06/27/2018 : 14:43:50
I saw them open for Live about 25 years ago. Someone in the band was sick or injured or something and couldn't perform, so the rest of the band decided to have fun with the situation by trading instruments and trying to do the show that way. It was amusing in a writing-with-the-wrong-hand kind of way -- not exactly good, but a lot of fun.

I remember the video from the Windows 95 CD, too, picpic. Wasn't there also an Edie Brickell video? In the rain or something?

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Bedbug Posted - 06/27/2018 : 01:07:35
Gotta be honest, couldn’t make it through the album. Doesn’t do it for me. Didn’t even like Buddy Holly.

Discoking Posted - 06/26/2018 : 23:47:33
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Only thing I remember from them was the "Buddy Holly" video in .AVI format bundled on the Windows 95 CD.

___
"Service Unavailable"

omg yes!

i only know their blue debut album, and i think also a green one (also self-titled?).

it's educational
picpic Posted - 06/26/2018 : 04:58:47
Only thing I remember from them was the "Buddy Holly" video in .AVI format bundled on the Windows 95 CD.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Stevio10 Posted - 06/26/2018 : 04:48:21
I listened to a lot of Weezer in late 90's and 00's, saw them once in 04 or so.

Their best 2 albums in my opinion are the debut self titled blue album and Pinkerton.

I instantly liked the song 'Buddy Holly' when I liked it but most of the stuff from those 2 albums are good or great, haven't listened in a while so will have to revisit!

Cool story is I believe Weezer or Rivers Cuomo covered Los Angeles. And Weezer once covered Velouria for a Pixies tribute album.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000