-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Original version of 'I'm Amazed'

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
OLDMANOTY Posted - 09/20/2016 : 10:46:15
Since I heard it I've always preferred the acoustic 'Frank Black Francis' version to the one on Surfer Rosa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdYSTlFA5zA
He says "I sing the bass player's part" and indeed Kim sings it on SR, but it's all but buried. This version with the backing vocal up front is much more memorable to me.

Edit 20 minutes later: Ok I've just listened to the SR version again and I'm probably talking bollocks. They're completely different but equally great.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 09/21/2016 : 08:40:41
They should've went with the version from the Purple Tapes. While I love Albini's work on the record, this was a huge error. I like Amazed but that bridge is FANTASTIC! Why cut it? Stupid. It's even worse than what he later said about the band. He walked those back years later but Surfer still exists without the better version of I'm Amazed.

Oh well. I guess I can make my own version.

cheers
sdon Posted - 09/21/2016 : 06:39:00
I think both were geniuses :)
Albini's sound "ethics" is unique (well he got imitated), as the Pixies songs were unique
To me, the meeting of Pixies + Albini transcended excellent songs (and pre-existing Pixies sound, ok) into something better than an "objective" live captation
I think his whole "coaching" of them (though condescending it may have been) produced great results

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
picpic Posted - 09/20/2016 : 23:39:00
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

All the material was superb, but Albini's touch and "parti-pris" were genius

All the material was genius, but Albini's touch was a plus.

Listen to the Pixies live in 1987, everything was already there without Albini's touch. Let's say Albini archived their amazing sound in a very nice way.

___
"Service Unavailable"
sdon Posted - 09/20/2016 : 13:28:44
Albini really made a great album from the SR demos
All the material was superb, but Albini's touch and "parti-pris" were genius
Making them use metallic plectrums, keeping the chat bits, the way drums and guitars are mixed, hell eventemoving that bridge on I'm Amazed is a relevant decision I think.

The Shellac sound is so brutal, Pixies could have so much benefitted from this approach on later albums

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
OLDMANOTY Posted - 09/20/2016 : 11:34:45
quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH

quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

Since I heard it I've always preferred the acoustic 'Frank Black Francis' version to the one on Surfer Rosa.
He says "I sing the bass player's part" and indeed Kim sings it on SR, but it's all but buried. This version with the backing vocal up front is much more memorable to me.

Same for me. I also like the bridge that Albini called - I think - "boring".

Yeah. Actually a few of those early acoustic demos on FBF have got great bits that got cut. I love that album, sounds like it was recorded in an alternative 1955.
BunsenH Posted - 09/20/2016 : 11:24:04
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

Same for me. I also like the bridge that Albini called - I think - "boring".

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000