-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 True Detective

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 03/02/2014 : 08:52:54
Anyone on here watching True Detective? Not since Breaking Bad have I seen something as suspenseful and thrilling.

SPOILERS

With two episodes left before the end, I think, based on what I've seen and some theories I've read online:

Marty's father-in-law is the Yellow King. A couple episodes back, there's a shot of Marty talking to him, asking about Maggie and there's a yellow lens flare on Marty at that moment.

Neither Rust nor Marty are involved with the cult conspiracy.

Marty's daughter Aubrey was molested by her grandfather/the cult and is set up as the next sacrifice that Marty and Rust will attempt to stop. Her tossing the crown up in the tree as a child was foreshadowing.

I don't know about Maggie, sometimes I think she's a part of it or being manipulated by the cult, but then I think no.

I am suspicious of the last woman Marty slept with, who worked at the cell phone store; something about her seemed off. Then again, that could just be completely wrong.

I think the first image of the show, is from the end, with Marty helping an injured and dying Rust along, lighting the whole cult area on fire.

Then again, maybe Marty dies saving Rust and the latter finds a way back into living in society.

I'd be surprised if they both survive the finale next week.

cheers
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 03/08/2017 : 12:24:53
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

I like the idea of a a miniseries, here's the story, the end. An anthology is fine but from what I saw of Season 2 it's a dud, not because it's not like the first season, but because the story itself is dull.

You know, everyone told me season two was bad but I was determined to go in open minded. I just literally stopped watching after the third or fourth episode. I heard somewhere that the creative team was under pressure from the network to crank out another season and ended up delivering a subpar product. Hopefully the third season is good.

And to give FBF a plug, couldn't you see one of his dark, post-modern, neo-western, creepier songs being perfect for True Detective Season Three?
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 03/08/2017 : 09:06:41
I like the idea of a a miniseries, here's the story, the end. An anthology is fine but from what I saw of Season 2 it's a dud, not because it's not like the first season, but because the story itself is dull.

Bedbug Posted - 03/06/2017 : 12:43:52
Loved this show! Couldn't make it through season 2 but will probably try again
TarTar Posted - 01/10/2017 : 14:45:35
I overall liked season 1, though it did feel like it could have been a few episodes longer. Felt unfinished. I never bothered with season 2 because I heard nothing but awful things about it.

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 10/22/2016 : 17:18:07
Overall the ending felt both satisfying and anti-climatic. Part of me wanted the show to go crazy at the end and we get a tiny glimpse of something supernatural but it's left vague enough it could be a hallucination. Glad some of the bad guys were killed. It's a heavy show but I appreciated the attempt at some hope at the end.

cheers
shineoftheever Posted - 03/05/2014 : 18:05:38
i get the feeling we will not learn who the Yellow King is. and one of them will die for sure.

"Fundamentally, all writing is about the same thing; it's about dying, about the brief flicker of time we have here, and the frustration that it creates.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 03/03/2014 : 14:00:18
I thought the crazy old black woman was just going to allude to something terrible, so I was surprised when she started babbling. For me, this episode gave a good amount of them doing the detective work and with only eight episodes to work with, I think they struck a good balance between that, the character moments, and the weirdness.

I like that Rust actually asked Marty about his life and the shots of their separate experienes.

I loved when Marty surprises the corrupt sheriff on the boat.

I know think Rust is going to survive and the show will end with him peacefully painting somewhere warm.

cheers
shineoftheever Posted - 03/03/2014 : 05:27:08
also, notice how they are totally avoiding saying "scarface" haha.

"Fundamentally, all writing is about the same thing; it's about dying, about the brief flicker of time we have here, and the frustration that it creates.
shineoftheever Posted - 03/03/2014 : 05:24:19
i don't think i'll be satisfied with just one more episode - too much to wrap up.

i felt the crazy old black women's spouting is lazy writing. a quick way to advance the story that really should have been done with marty and rust's detective work. also, the thing with the time jump is that now the story has free reign to inroduce anything as "evidence rust discovered in the last x years". aside from that. giddyup.

Arm Arm Arm Posted - 03/02/2014 : 18:43:25
I really enjoyed episode 7; I think mainly because it was interesting to see Rust and Marty working together ten years later. Marty is using his own investigative skills that were, probably, to some degree, subsumed by Rust's as the partnership continued post-Ledoux's death. For someone with huge amounts of hubris and anger; it seemed like the decase humbled Marty in a good way; instead of becoming bitter; he seemed to become wiser; which allows his renewed partnership with Rust to work, equal to their early days together, if not better.

The languid pace oozed dread; it felt like at any moment something terrible could happen; but even so, I was surprised at the black woman's crazed sputing about Carcosa.

I also don't know what to think about Maggie; now I'm thinking she is somehow connected to the Yellow King and the only reason Marty is alive is as a favor to her, from her father. Or again, she could be a red...yellow herring.

I loved the editing when Marty tells Maggie that he's going to help Rust and then we see the horrible evidence that convinced him.

Online, many people have pointed out that Marty's last name means stag or deer and thought perhaps he's connected to the cult. I'm sure no one holds that theory by this point; I htink Hart is just showing the connection to the poor animal that was slaughterd, its antlers used in their evil rituals; again foreshadowing Marty's daughter Aubrey as their next victim.

I really thought something was going to happen to the two detectives at the end; I figure they'll play some positive role in helpign Marty and Rust, or at least one of them, maybe the younger guy is in on it too.

I wonder if Tuttle faked his death and is actually alive.

cheers
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 03/02/2014 : 13:53:02
Yes, I think Tuttle, the white haired police guy, Marty's father-in-law and at least two others are all a part of it.

I'm glad it's just 8 episodes; I could handle more, I don't need six seasons of the Rust and Marty show, dragging out who the Yellow King is. Eight episodes, here's the story! Done.
shineoftheever Posted - 03/02/2014 : 09:13:50
great television and instantly captivating. can't say i see/saw the marty's dad-in-law thing and am leaning towards it being someone covered up by Reverend tuttle (so yeah, could be him). definitely thought about the molestation thing especially when she set up the toys in the gang-rape scene....last week they flashed on the 'capper worshipping in the beginning which made me think more about the cult and that maybe there are more people involved - not in the cover-up but the actual doing. definitiely don't know what to expect tonight and with only 2 episodes left its gonna be cool.

sidebar: i heard on the radio before the show even started that the storyline for woody's and MM's characters ends this season so if there is a renewal it will have new actors. with the instant cult following we could be in for some tv treats if this format continues.

i predict this show sweeps most of the acting/writing/directing awards at the Emmys. mind you i haven't watched house of cards yet....

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000