-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Album Talk #7: Black Letter Days

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brank_Flack Posted - 02/28/2010 : 16:25:13
I really love this album - being released after Dog in the Sand is no easy feat for an album, but it is able to pull it off in a cool, subtle way.
The songwriting and performances across the entire album are great, which is even more impressive given the length of the album. I know it could be condensed to a perfect album, but I like the sprawl here, kind of like a rootsy Teenager of the Year. Plus, there arent any songs I would take off the album, I like the smaller songs like Jet Black River and True Blue which may have otherwise disappeared.
My only complaint, really is that the production is a bit muddy or murky.
Admittedly, it took a while to grow on me, but i'm glad I gave it the time.
My favourites are Cold Heart of Stone, Valentine & Garuda, End of Miles, How You Went So Far, The Farewell Bend and 21 Reasons. And those are just my absolute favourites off the album. California Bound has never gotten to me, which is strange considering its a favourite around here, and the only BLD song on 93-03.
Hoping we see a release of Red Letter Days, it'd make a good bonus if Frank does another USB if there is any extra space on it to add to its value, or maybe he could give a download code for it as a bonus to people who order something off his webstore (just ideas)
Rating: 9/10

Discuss.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eroticvultcha Posted - 03/11/2010 : 00:45:49
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I was listening to SSMVGD today, and I have to say, I really prefer the Black Letter Day's I Will Run After You. I'm really glad it was re-recorded, as like i said before, it's one of my favourites off of the album.

Have to disagree with you on that one. I much prefer Frank's vocal take, the extended outro and general production in the SSMVGD version. All subjective, though, obviously.

"I've got my own gas tanks."
vilainde Posted - 03/07/2010 : 22:12:27
Yeah, it's my fave Catholics record, along with the first one. I listened to it last Saturday, coming back from holidays - it's the ultimate travel album. Indeed the production kinda bothers me on California Bound, but it gets better after that. For instance it works perfectly on 21 Reasons.

Agree on the vinyl edition - though I tried to see how it would fit on 4 sides and I think it would need some changes on the tracklist. End of Miles would be the last song on side #2 and then 1826 should be track#1, side #3.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Brank_Flack Posted - 03/07/2010 : 20:55:41
I was listening to SSMVGD today, and I have to say, I really prefer the Black Letter Day's I Will Run After You. I'm really glad it was re-recorded, as like i said before, it's one of my favourites off of the album.
gary13th Posted - 03/02/2010 : 01:23:12
brilliant album, California Bound, Jet Black River, How You Went So Far... great songs!

----------
I joined the Cult of the Catholics, Oh when will they return ?
Sam Posted - 03/02/2010 : 00:33:16
BLD - an absolute gem of a record.

I wish this had have been released on Viyl. I have all of Franks Vinyl releases bar a couple of singles but this would have been pride of place beside TOTY and SMYT.
I love the piano on this, the slide guitar, Franks songwriting is varied. From i will run after you to True Blue, and on towards the jazzy black rider. What a great record.

Top 3 tunes

Chip away boy
End of Miles
Farewell Bend

gotmeamovie Posted - 03/01/2010 : 17:09:53
A very nice. warm album. great to listen to if your are lost somehow.
Farewell bend is one of my fav frank songs

this album is right up there with any as far as lyrics go

Didnt any one else notice that valentine and garuda sounds very similar to dont get me wrong at the start?

"I could take a walk and really wonder, really wonder"
pixiestu Posted - 03/01/2010 : 06:37:55
Fair comment about the production. I'm sure I remember EDF saying he thinks 'California Bound' is one of FB's best songs but was let down by the production (I think I heard that on the FB.net podcast a couple of years ago maybe?). It never really grabbed me as a standout track, but a solid track nonetheless.

Personally I think the production adds a lot to most of the tracks, you get a true feeling of a group of musicians playing together that you don't get on...TOTY for example, it works wonders on '21 Reasons'. But California Bound along with a few others would probably have worked better if they were a bit more polished.

'21 Reasons' reeled me in straight away and it's been a favourite ever since. Every time I hear that opening E chord I know I'm in for an enjoyable ride! My other absolute favourite is 'I Will Run After You'. It seems a lot of forumers here prefer the SSMVGD version but I just love this version even more.

"The arc of triumph"
joe FITZ of molly BANG Posted - 03/01/2010 : 06:24:03
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I really love this album - being released after Dog in the Sand is no easy feat for an album, but it is able to pull it off in a cool, subtle way.
The songwriting and performances across the entire album are great, which is even more impressive given the length of the album. I know it could be condensed to a perfect album, but I like the sprawl here, kind of like a rootsy Teenager of the Year. Plus, there arent any songs I would take off the album, I like the smaller songs like Jet Black River and True Blue which may have otherwise disappeared.
My only complaint, really is that the production is a bit muddy or murky.
Admittedly, it took a while to grow on me, but i'm glad I gave it the time.
My favourites are Cold Heart of Stone, Valentine & Garuda, End of Miles, How You Went So Far, The Farewell Bend and 21 Reasons. And those are just my absolute favourites off the album. California Bound has never gotten to me, which is strange considering its a favourite around here, and the only BLD song on 93-03.
Hoping we see a release of Red Letter Days, it'd make a good bonus if Frank does another USB if there is any extra space on it to add to its value, or maybe he could give a download code for it as a bonus to people who order something off his webstore (just ideas)
Rating: 9/10

Discuss.

I totes agreee about the rootsy teenager of the year. Probably my fave castholics album.

california bound is now my fave on the album (along with the others you mentioned), it was kind of a toss off to me until i heard it live. all i can say is keep listening to it.

I think 93-03 is a lame representation of the awesomeness and versatility of charles.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000