-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black -- Live!
 Best Frank Black Gig

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
moksha23x Posted - 08/29/2005 : 13:33:55
I was in L.A. visiting a friend from when I grew up outside of Boston (I came down from Eugene, OR.). Anyway we heard there was a show billed as a "Musical Duel" or "guitar Duel" ora "Singer/Songwriter Duel". We went to some guitar store in L.A. to watch the "Duel".....The "duel" was held in a room that fit like 100? people.....Anyway the room had Beautiful guitars all over the walls..I mean all over the walls like wallpaper........I forget the context of the duel but it was awesome.......Ron Zimmerman (play on Dylan's real name Robert Zimmerman) would come and do like a folk singing routine but was politically relevant and gut-bustingly funny, The whole place was dying laughing. So then Mr. Black would come up and everyone would sit in awe of his INCREDIBLE singing......And the duel went on like this for like a couple hours....The whole place cracking up--Then The whole place in Awe---The whole Place Cracking up---The Whole Place in AWe...Etc. Etc..
I remember at the end FB said made fun of the topics of some of his own songs he said "yeah this one is about a skateboard"....He went into an incredible solo version of South Bay. I had a Freakin Blast!

That was years ago....and I just saw Frank and Ron Z try the same duel type thing at a comedy club in SF....But it didn't have the same magic. The Guitar store was Epic!

KJM
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
floop Posted - 08/31/2005 : 01:02:06
you have successfully proven that that show happened, and that i missed it. clearly i am not worthy
moksha23x Posted - 08/31/2005 : 00:02:50
quote:
Originally posted by floop

i've been to almost every McCabes round he's done in LA, as far as i know.. not sure how i missed this one. but maybe it was ultra- top secret. like, only diaper man and people like that were invited

http://www.mccabes.com/perflist.html
http://www.mccabes.com/perflist.html

Frank Black & Roy Zimmerman

Hmmm ...1999 was like 6 years ago!!!!!!!!..........The Real Diaperman...Please Step Forward.
moksha23x Posted - 08/30/2005 : 23:56:57
quote:

i've been to almost every McCabes round he's done in LA, as far as i know.. not sure how i missed this one. but maybe it was ultra- top secret. like, only diaper man and people like that were invited
------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.roysongs.com/links/
http://web.archive.org/web/20010428093620/http://www.levitated.net/fb/live/revzim.htm
A Frank Black fan writes a mini-review of Roy's show with Frank Black at McCabe's on December 12, 1999. (Although he gets Roy's name right in his caption, he refers to Roy as "Ron" throughout the review.)
moksha23x Posted - 08/30/2005 : 23:46:07
quote:

http://home.arcor.de/mamoeller/livess.htm
Saw Mr Black play a "duet" show with Ron Zimmerman at McCabe's Guitar shop last December. They took turns playing a song each. Frank did a fine, yet nominal set list, including Calistan, All My Ghosts, Brackish Boy and 1 new song called I'll Be Blue! I am shocked to say that Ron, who is new to me, played a much more entertaining set. His songs are extremely witty, and perhaps poorly matched against Frank's rocking tunes. All the same: the show sold out (all 100 seats or so) and another was added that night. They apparently played there six months earlier - and I would suggest anyone living in LA to keep an eye out in the LA Weekly for McCabe's little ad: perhaps in 6 more months they'll play again. Incidentally, the last song(s) they played was the only "duet": at the count of "three", each broke into a song of their own. Frank's was Living On Soul - Ron's is unknown to me. Pure cacophony - and truly, truly beautiful

Matt Orefice
floop Posted - 08/30/2005 : 22:25:13
i guess i'm not hip. yeah, i'm just surprised cuz i've been going to McCabes shows since back in the day (being a high level fan).. i'm not questioning whether it happend moksha. chill. just saying i've never heard of it and hence, like i said, am surprised to hear about it..
moksha23x Posted - 08/30/2005 : 21:52:43
quote:

First off ......Yeah that kind of sounds like the place.....But like I said it was years ago in L.A......As a kid I used to live for saturday mornings and "The Mighty Heroes" was one of my faves at the end of "Mighty Mouse" so I'm almost certain there was no Diaper Man there..........Umm it wasn't really "Ultra Top Secret" although being a small place it did sell out. Maybe you weren't quite as "Hip" as you are now Floop.....You actually missed one.......I'm surprised though , you being the High Level Frank Black Fan you are I'm surprised how a show with Roy Zimmerman seems so odd.......They happen to be good friends and have been working like this together over the past years. You being so close maybe you should ring Good Ol' Charles up in Eugene....see if he's ever done a solo songwriter/guitar duel with Mr. Zimmerman.....Not Bobby D.......Roy.

Its odd....I meant to post in "Best Moment at a Frank Black Gig" and by accident started my own thread. Now I'm defending whether an experience in
my life actually took place...................Sorry Floop, Yep You........You missed one........Get in the loop Cat.
floop Posted - 08/30/2005 : 15:29:16
it sounds like McCabes. i've just never heard of such a show happening, so i'm really curious.. and bummed that i missed it.

Carl Posted - 08/30/2005 : 14:19:19
The only time I saw Frank solo was on the COR tour, 27 January '96, in the Olympia Theatre here in Dublin. He played a midnight show, and I remember it was very icy and cold outside!
TRANSMARINE Posted - 08/30/2005 : 12:50:10
I agree Floop. I think it is McCabe's. It's small with guitars on the walls, the stage is at an odd location...almost corner right with a walkway behind it, and an annoying foundation post running right through the center of the room. And when you walk outside onto Pico Blvd, the street is on an incline.

Does this sound right, moksha23x?

I was alone...in my BIG BED

-bRIAN
floop Posted - 08/30/2005 : 08:52:33
sounds like McCabes. were you in Santa Monica?
moksha23x Posted - 08/30/2005 : 03:21:39
Are You Wondering the name of the L.A. Guitar shop....? Could be McCabes. I'd have to look into it more........I completely remember the way it looks inside but forget the name of the place. What does McCabes look like on the inside???
Foggy Remembrance here......The performance room was 40 feet x 30 Feet.....Rectangle... with rows of beautiful guitars...Martins, Gibsons?, Alvarez?... all over the walls.....

"Our House Was Filled With Many Birds....She Said to Me "I can understand their words" " FB, I Burn Today
floop Posted - 08/29/2005 : 18:19:47
quote:
Originally posted by moksha23x
I had Fun but it wasn't as amazing at the little intimate hip guitar shop in L.A.

where? McCabes?
Carl Posted - 08/29/2005 : 15:08:23
Me too!
kathryn Posted - 08/29/2005 : 15:06:47
Thanks for explaining. I am jealous.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Carl Posted - 08/29/2005 : 14:38:06
That's such a rare, special performance! Lucky you! :)
moksha23x Posted - 08/29/2005 : 14:18:37
What I mean by I just saw Frank again try the same "duel type thing is......The format of the show was the same....Ron Zimmerman solo acoustic, one song----Then Frank Black solo acoustic, one song......
The recent one I saw was pre-pixies reunion in San Francisco year, year and ahalf ago at a comedy club in North Beach San Francisco. I had Fun but it wasn't as amazing at the little intimate hip guitar shop in L.A.

KJM
kathryn Posted - 08/29/2005 : 13:35:50
What do you mean you "just" saw Frank try the same duel type thing? When? Thanks.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000