-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 his dark materials

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
starmekitten Posted - 08/04/2005 : 15:51:45

Has anyone read them? I'm re-reading them now and yet again am blown away by how fabulous these books are, generally pimped as childrens books I think they are a lot more than that, beautifully written I think the lord of the rings comparisons are more than worthy. It's an intricate and complicated story and heavily tinged with a weird theological interest that I'm not sure if it's blasphemous or beautiful. Either way it's very, very clever. I've read a few of his other books but I don't think they are as good as these.

I have the follow on too:

I first read these as a first year undergrad, a girl called Thea who was a tree hugger if ever I saw one loaned them to me. I was revising for my exams at the time yet started the first book one day, the second book the next and the third the day after. As soon as I had finished I went, crying, and flung the books at her and said don't you ever bring these horrible books near me again. Went into Bangor and bought all three. I re-read them every year in the summer, I cry like a girl every time I read them at several points, and always as soon as I finish I start again. My friend bought and read them recently and asked me a pile of questions (it's heavy stuff at times) and so I'm familiarising myself with them again so I can talk to her about it.

I couldn't find another thread on them, so has anyone else read them?
I could do with a talk about it.

If you invite people who all have the same blood type to a party, but you don't tell them, they'll talk about something else
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
VoVat Posted - 08/19/2005 : 15:22:03
Cool. I might have to check that out.

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
starmekitten Posted - 08/19/2005 : 09:34:56
It's set after the original three, it's not long enough to constitute sequal status I think, it's a very short taster of what may be to follow

You begin saving the world by saving one person at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics
VoVat Posted - 08/19/2005 : 09:31:31
Is "Lyra's Oxford" a sequel, or what?

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
starmekitten Posted - 08/17/2005 : 15:40:17
It's very short, but sweet and I hope he goes on to extend it. Although I accepted the books had to end how they did (I didn't like it) I hope it's not the absolute end.

You begin saving the world by saving one person at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics
TheCroutonFuton Posted - 08/17/2005 : 15:35:46
I think they're wonderful books. I haven't read Lyra's Oxford, though...I will have to do that.

Edit: I think when I read the series the first one was called "The Golden Compass" or something rather, I'm not sure. I'm going to have to re-read them soon.

Animals think...They're pretty smart!
Shit on the ground...See in the dark!
VoVat Posted - 08/17/2005 : 13:19:40
I read them when I was bored at work (not all on one day, though). I liked the theological aspects to them, including the stuff with God and Metatron.

Llamadance Posted - 08/05/2005 : 04:55:26
I've only read them once, about a year ago, but I thought they were great. I'm a bit hazy on them, but the idea of a dæmon is fantastic. I wonder what mine would be like. The dust is brilliant as well with, as you say, the weird theological aspects. You're making me want to read them again now. Oh yeah, the little guys with the poisoned spurs as well. Hehe.

________________________________________________________________________________
No power in the 'verse can stop me

starmekitten Posted - 08/05/2005 : 04:43:24
I'm raving, I think they're bloody marvelous I do

I had to stop reading the amber spyglass last night, I got to a point where I knew I would mess my sleep up if I carried on and I had no cigarettes and I would have needed one.

If you invite people who all have the same blood type to a party, but you don't tell them, they'll talk about something else
jediroller Posted - 08/05/2005 : 01:23:37
It's on my list... A good friend of mine has been raving about this forever.

I jumped on the Frank Black Bandwagon/'Cause Pixies are so 2004
Newo Posted - 08/05/2005 : 01:08:19
That´s funny my aunt just mentioned those Spyglass ones to me in a letter.

--

Les cacahuetes c'est le mouvement perpétuel à la portée de l'homme .
Daisy Girl Posted - 08/04/2005 : 16:24:35
no, i haven't ... but i am kind of out of it when it comes to books and pretty much alot of other things

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000