-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tabs and Trading
 Tabs & Musician Stuff
 Fender Mexican or USA?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ziggy Posted - 11/21/2004 : 03:59:51
I'd to buy a Tele, but I've heard bad things about Mexican made guitars. Neck and fretboard issues etc...

In the UK, you can expect to pay around £400 for a standard Mex Tele or Strat. It's well over £700 for a USA model.

Sure, I've tried both a Mex and US out in the shops, but I'd value the opinions of those who probably know better than me!

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ziggy Posted - 11/24/2004 : 02:16:24
Alright everyone, thanks again for the info and replies!
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 11/23/2004 : 06:31:44
I'd stay away from the Mexicans... my friend has one and it sounds like absolute cheese whenever he attempts a lead.

Nevermind - I was making fun of Mike, but he didn't see it or is quietly sobbing somewhere. I know little of this topic.

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"
hammerhands Posted - 11/23/2004 : 03:02:35
Valves all the way!

I just took a look at eBay they have Laneys that no one has bid on at 170 pounds, which seems abnormally inexpensive. I suspect there are lots of old Traynors over there, great amplifiers. They were point-to-point wired, which is important because when your amplifier blows up (which even solid state amplifiers do) they are much easier for the tech. to fix. You will probably never get why people love tubes until you turn up the volume to where the amp starts to overdrive. I've heard a few Peavey Classic 30's in the last few weeks that accomplish this nicely at safe volumes. I would go to a store and try this out before you buy a solid-state anchor.

On the subject of buying used, I have been interested in hearing a Gibson Lab Series L5 amplifier, which is solid-state, as used by B.B. King. There happens to be one on eBay.

Even more so than the guitar I would try to find a deal on a used amplifier.

As for the amplifiers you listed, everything breaks down eventually so the simpler it is the cheaper it will be to fix.
Superabounder Posted - 11/22/2004 : 20:34:41
I don't know about those two amps (I'm a bit more of a tube amp fan after many years with a solid state amp), but Harmony Central has a good number of user-reviews http://www.harmony-central.com/User_Reviews/ . USA vs Mex Fenders...I think it takes a serious musician to tell much of a sound difference, but there is a lot more noise through the Mexican pick-ups, and the American made seems to feel more polished and smooth somehow in the finish out, especially the hardware's edges, etc... Good luck with your decisions. I'm always happiest while doing all this kind of research while figuring out what to buy...ahhh the anticipation!
Ziggy Posted - 11/21/2004 : 14:06:51
Alright, thanks for the advice.

Anyone got opinions on a decent solid state amp, suitable for gigging? I'm choosing between the Marshall MG100DFX and the Fender FM212R.
Sir Mike Posted - 11/21/2004 : 13:03:07
American Fenders are made in Corona, Mexican ones in Ensenada if I recall. There is a definite quality difference between the two. Fender Japan makes a good set of guitars that fall in between the Mexican and American Fenders. They're worth a look too. I like the American made ones best though.

mrgrieves1971 Posted - 11/21/2004 : 09:19:43
I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that The American Fenders are made in Southern California and the Mexican Fenders are made right over the border. That the two facilities are actually not all that far apart from each other. So they are essentailly almost coming from the same place. I guess the real way to look at it is that the Mexican Fenders are the Honda Civics and the Americans are the Accords. Just simply the higher end model.
hammerhands Posted - 11/21/2004 : 06:29:34
So many options!

I like those Mexican Fenders, mostly I've heard about electronics. The solution I like is to get Fender Noiseless Pickups.

I'm not sure how they are after time. I can't imagine buying a new guitar anymore, look in the Pawn shops and save. If the neck is still good a few years down the line you shouldn't ever have a problem.

I also like Yamaha Pacifica Telecasters and Schecters.

I bought a Butterscotch Squier Telecaster and a Warmoth neck and I've been waiting almost a year for a guy to get some extras to put on it. The original neck is still on it, I've barely played it and yet the neck is already having big problems.

I talked to a guy playing a Tele a few days ago, the guitar is the right colour (butterscotch), he said it was an FMT custom. I have no idea what that is. He said he really liked it, other than having replaced the pickups.

I think guitars and amplifiers and all instruments should be left alone, but a cheap Fender is a different story. It's not like you would be brutalizing the last of its kind and there is a history of customizing them. Upgrading the electronics is rather inexpensive, at least get the four-way Tele switch.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000