-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tabs and Trading
 Tabs & Musician Stuff
 Tabs For Beginners

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shesmyfav Posted - 10/11/2004 : 17:59:08
Hiyas all. Wondering if there is a good site for guitar tabs for the old pixies tunes. Most of the tabs I've seen are incomplete or not geared for the beginner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
frank black conspiracy Posted - 01/17/2005 : 01:08:17
Wow! Velouria is a good one that mixes both barre and open.
The very first song i ever learnt was peggy sue bu buddy holly. all open chords except for an F, if i remember rightly. My dad taught me to play it, but instead of strumming, i palmed the strings with my open hand like it was a drum.

Barre chords, boy, they were the hardest chords to learn, trying to get my index finger across the whole fret left me pretty frustrated.
I started to learn as a little boy, watching my dad. but he only had a 12 string, so it was tough on the fingers.
I gave up to begin with, knowing barre chords are the key and i just couldn't do it.
A few years later, a little more practise on my part and then one day, it just happened.
I finally nailed my first proper chord.
the world was my oyster, i was like a sponge. soaking up every tab of every song i ever loved.

I'm glad you no longer hate them whore, they'll soon be your best friend.
whoreatthedoor Posted - 01/17/2005 : 00:58:31
I've been playing 'Velouria' and '21 Reasons' for about three weeks to lose my fear of barre chords. Now I don't hate them anymore.

The violet, the lily and the pink but those I refused all three
frank black conspiracy Posted - 01/16/2005 : 16:02:59
quote:
Originally posted by whoreatthedoor
at the moment I hate barre chords, so maybe in a few months.

once you master the barre shape, they'll be no stopping you.
the whole world of fb and pixies will open up in front of you.

then you'll know the secret behind these amazing songs you've so much enjoyed.
the chords of the almighty black.
happyhomie123 Posted - 01/16/2005 : 14:28:54
how bout songs like iron man or smoke on the water they are very basic!

happy homie
audiochild Posted - 12/10/2004 : 08:44:55
Good beginners songs are like "Cactus" and "The Holiday Song" in my opinion. Real simple stuff.

You been NASHED!
whoreatthedoor Posted - 11/22/2004 : 13:00:16
quote:
Originally posted by comatose22

Hey Whoreatthedoor, don't get frustrated. I am a newbie at guitar, got frustrated at first and gave up. Started playing again and learned a few things from a friends friend and now I am hooked. I couldn't play one song all the way through for a long time. I thought I was musically challenged, and yes part of me is, but I kept at it and it is all starting to come together. As for a good song for a beginner to learn, try Thalassocracy. It was the first song I was able to play from start to finish using simple barre chords. If you can't figure it out using the tab on this site, then let me know and I will tab it out for ya! Don't give up! Keep pluckin'.

No, I don't give up. I'm 24 years old and just started playing. Too old for a rock star, but I don't want to be a rock star. I only play for fun. But I need some lessons. I'm taking it easy.
Thalassocracy on my acoustic? Weird! Anyway, at the moment I hate barre chords, so maybe in a few months. Thanks anyway!!!

And Owen, I want to sound like Frank because I'm in practice. I have my own way to approach songs.

PS: Don't you have a tape with your WIMM cover? Sounds very interesting!

Caminar sobre las hojas del otoño es romántico y resbaladizo
Newo Posted - 11/19/2004 : 16:43:40
Depends on how you want to approach it, over the summer I played on the streets with a friend on fiddle and wore a hole in my acoustic. We did Hey a lot, one we did the most was Where Is My Mind cause it'd break your heart to hear my friend's accompanying part. Who cares about making a song sound Frank? You think FB/CT sounded worried about making Black Rider 'sound Tom'? Make it your own.

--

Moving from the clown to the jester will mean moving from similar to same, from alike to identical, from comparable to analogous. Though applied differently, the colours used on one can be used on another, and a couple of changes of costume will rapidly transform the jester into a clown and the clown into a jester. Strictly speaking, they almost duplicate each other as regards clothes and function, the only difference between them, from a social point of view, is that clowns do not usually visit the palaces of kings.
Someone Posted - 11/18/2004 : 22:19:20
I think frank black tabs aren't too bad. pixies tabs are simple. but its really hard to make a pixies song sound right especially on an acoustic. take hey for example. the tabs are correct. i have seen him play it. but i can't make that song sound even remotely correct. pixies songs are more band oriented and joey's leads are essential.

catholics songs are a blast and a half to play. really easy and fun.
comatose22 Posted - 11/18/2004 : 19:22:56
Hey Whoreatthedoor, don't get frustrated. I am a newbie at guitar, got frustrated at first and gave up. Started playing again and learned a few things from a friends friend and now I am hooked. I couldn't play one song all the way through for a long time. I thought I was musically challenged, and yes part of me is, but I kept at it and it is all starting to come together. As for a good song for a beginner to learn, try Thalassocracy. It was the first song I was able to play from start to finish using simple barre chords. If you can't figure it out using the tab on this site, then let me know and I will tab it out for ya! Don't give up! Keep pluckin'.
ProverbialCereal Posted - 10/30/2004 : 21:37:12
"Southbound Bevy" seems easy to play as far as chord strumming. Seems like basic chords if I remember correctly.

Join the Cult of Stromboli / They're good
whoreatthedoor Posted - 10/30/2004 : 07:56:26
Thanks for your help. I've just "learned" Modern Age, because I found a solo acoustic version on the FTP that makes it easy (Without all those evil Catholics playing around ). It's fairly simple. It doesn't sound as Frank, but well, I'm just in practice!!!

"¡¡¡Bien!!!, dame el ritmo. Así es mejor" - Jonathan Richman
Aurora-borealis Posted - 10/30/2004 : 06:13:38
Brackish Boy is, in my opinion, not an easy song to play at all; at least not for someone who has just started playing the guitar... Sure, it only has 4 chords (G, F#, B, C,) but you have to be one hell of a strummer to make it sound good. Songs like Fu Manchu and Headache are fairly easy to play... Wow, there's really not that many begginner-friendly FB songs!
whoreatthedoor Posted - 10/18/2004 : 03:52:56
I'm a beginner too.

The tabs on this site are great, the best I've found through the internet for FB (And some of the probably better than Pixies tabs on Ultimate-Guitar.com). Anyway, I miss some notes on them, particularly when a chord is barred or not, which isn't easy to figure out for a beginner.

I haven't found a reachable FB tune to play. I've heard Brackish boy is the easiest one, but I still can't play it. Any suggestions?

"¡¡¡Bien!!!, dame el ritmo. Así es mejor" - Jonathan Richman
tito00 Posted - 10/13/2004 : 05:38:13
I don't think tabs here are too difficult too.
But you can try this one:
http://ultimate-guitar.com
Ziggy Posted - 10/12/2004 : 01:12:30
You'd do well to master barre chords, which makes the majority of Frank's parts playable.

When I started out, I let myself get pretty intimidated by 'hard looking' tab, but I found the best way is to stick at it. It's rewarding. The tabs on this site are probably the most accurate around, btw...

shesmyfav Posted - 10/11/2004 : 21:30:45
Well as a beginner I think all the tabs are difficult but I've been able to figure em out over time. Reading Levitated's response, it makes more sense to me now that I've probably been looking for tabs of Joey's guitar (I find it easier for me to play and learn from until I can make my fingers learn chords). Some tabs include them, some don't...
Levitated Posted - 10/11/2004 : 18:57:27
I think tabs from this site are pretty accurate and not too hard to understand but what is difficult is to find tabs for Joey's guitar on the net.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 10/11/2004 : 18:02:57
The ones here are too difficult? (I don't say this condescendingly, just curious)

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000