-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 The Best Of Frank Black (1993-2003) - June 4th!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vilainde Posted - 03/21/2007 : 02:20:56
Check this out!

http://www.cookingvinyl.com/press/d/3914-1/Frank+Black+93+-+03+Album+by+Album.doc

Press release for the "Best Of Frank Black (1993-2003)", announced for June 4th, including a loooooong FB interview reviewing his career album by album.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
joe FITZ of molly BANG Posted - 04/07/2010 : 09:26:22
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Now we know what track #23 is...

http://www.cdon.com/main.phtml?navroot=902&page=product#8719;=730504&tduid=5a95c7b2703b720261721f3eea598c65

01: Los Angeles
02: Ten Percenter
03: Czar
04: Old Black Dawning
05: Abstract Plain
06: Calistan
07: Speedy Marie
08: Headache
09: Freedom Rock
10: Men In Black
11: You Ain't Me
12: I Don't Want To Hurt You
13: All My Ghosts
14: I Gotta Move
15: Bad Harmony
16: Western Star
17: Robert Onion
18: Hermaphroditos
19: Velvety
20: California Bound
21: Massif Centrale
22: Manitoba
23: Threshold Apprehension (hidden track)
24: Bonus Album of Live Tracks/Demos

Denis

i don't tihnk my copy has T.A. (no, not tits and a$$...)

MissMaceo Posted - 04/07/2010 : 09:03:57
oops your comment about the 2017 was a joke.

my comment still holds true :)
MissMaceo Posted - 04/07/2010 : 08:59:06
wow

the man's really got a pulse on the probable upcoming demise of the ability to make a living off of record sales and is getting in under the wire, eh?

guess he's got kids to send to college and a mind for business and pleasure

can't say I blame him, not a bit
joe FITZ of molly BANG Posted - 04/07/2010 : 08:25:10
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

It's the only FB song I refuse to listen to. Like Grotesque says, it's a "skip key song." Anybody wanna stick up for that song and tell me why it's worth listening to?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.

i love hermaphraditos. should be on the best of imho.

joe FITZ of molly BANG Posted - 04/07/2010 : 08:11:48
quote:
Originally posted by jackruby

Honeycomb and Fast Man Raider Man will be on the 2004-2014 best of. Release date: 3rd Quarter, 2017!

haha. nice.

joe FITZ of molly BANG Posted - 04/07/2010 : 08:10:43
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

... and I didn't even mention the great new pictures!

http://www.cookingvinyl.com/press/frankblack/

Denis

this pic and the other one of him smiling is so awesome. he is so photogenic.

Carl Posted - 10/22/2007 : 18:34:43
Just listened to the live disc (Euro version) today, good stuff, like sax and harmonica!

You know, it's a pity they left of Ramona, and some of the choices were perhaps a little surprizing-Calistan, You Ain't Me, I Gotta Move, for example. And no St. Francis Dam Disaster! I would've stuck Big Red on there too, myself.

"A little bit of this, and a little bit of that....trade secrets!"
pixiestu Posted - 09/04/2007 : 11:41:49
I still haven't bought this on CD yet. I just don't really have any motivation for doing so. I got it from iTunes (with all the live tracks) and have put them on a disc.

I probably will buy it, just to have it in my collection. That's the only reason though.

"The arc of triumph"
blarg007 Posted - 09/03/2007 : 20:43:18
CV should have put out a double disc of greatest hits
as one package (w/decent packaging..)
and released a separate package with ALL the live
cuts for the uhber fans.
That way with the live package they could have used their
by now famous weeny B.S. packaging and licensed it
worldwide saving the U.S. fans from spending $40+ bucks
for a handful of live tracks and not taken so much heat.

Of course a double or single greatest hits would be
more compelling to the newbie with some pics and notes.
Ultimately I guess an import switch up on tracks seems
like a cool thing (Marketing-wise) and I've gone out of my way
to get them before, without mail-order etc.
But fer cryin' out loud I won't find this
Japanese or Euro release at the record stores
even in Chicago with the way the music business is these days.

..I found a cool mint copy of Rebecca and the Sunnybrook Farmers
LP Birth at the thrift store the other day for 60 cents though!
Carl Posted - 09/01/2007 : 15:39:23
Bought it today, haven't listened to it yet!

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.
PixieSteve Posted - 08/03/2007 : 15:06:04
yeah my first introduction to the pixies was the death to the pixies cd. i was on holiday in spain when i first listened to it so the liner notes were very interesting - for 6 weeks those liner notes contained all i knew about the pixies.

"Idiot" is just her sig.
billgoodman Posted - 08/01/2007 : 15:17:00
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

I see where your coming from, IceCream. But it's almost priority to supply liner notes with any 'Best Of', especially for newcomers who may be interested in historical info or even time-line that may be unavailable to them otherwise. For the oltimers, it's always fun to read while listening. DEATH TO THE PIXIES had an interesting essay with it, which gave a small nutshell to the importance and impact (non) they had during their first incarnation. Even PIXIES B-SIDES had cool recollections in the form of quotes from the Man himself...and ODDBALLS had quick musings as well. So why not FRANK BLACK BEST OF 93-03? Pictures aren't as important...but until we are downloading music as consumers TOTALLY and CD's cease to exist as store-sold things, liner notes/essays/etc. should be married to discs such as this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN

he's right you know. Linernotes are a must, especially for new fans. I like what Frank had written for it, I believe it was in the press release. Would have been great if it was in the booklett.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
ccuadros Posted - 08/01/2007 : 12:16:26
hehehe, i´m agree with transmarine, i like a lot the art of the cd´s, obviusly the music is the most important, but really my biggest complain with the package is that you could scratch the CD every time that you extract of the package.

Anyway I liked a lot the compilation and the live cd
TRANSMARINE Posted - 08/01/2007 : 11:19:13
I see where your coming from, IceCream. But it's almost priority to supply liner notes with any 'Best Of', especially for newcomers who may be interested in historical info or even time-line that may be unavailable to them otherwise. For the oltimers, it's always fun to read while listening. DEATH TO THE PIXIES had an interesting essay with it, which gave a small nutshell to the importance and impact (non) they had during their first incarnation. Even PIXIES B-SIDES had cool recollections in the form of quotes from the Man himself...and ODDBALLS had quick musings as well. So why not FRANK BLACK BEST OF 93-03? Pictures aren't as important...but until we are downloading music as consumers TOTALLY and CD's cease to exist as store-sold things, liner notes/essays/etc. should be married to discs such as this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
IceCream Posted - 08/01/2007 : 11:02:27
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodsSon

I give a shit because it's **supposed** to be a comprehensive ten year best of CD. That's a BIG deal! You don't just throw something like that into a cardboard sleeve with NO LINER NOTES or photographs whatsoever. Not to mention those god-damned sleeves scratch your CDs to hell every time you take them out or put them back in. I KNOW Cooking Vinyl can do better than that. Hell, Christmass was packaged better than this (which isn't saying much...), and that was a shitty release targeted at nothing more than uber-hardcore fans. This is a comprehensive best of designed to introduce people to Frank's music. The live disc is just a little bonus. The packaging is inexcusable.

I'm not sure I quite understand your position. Why would the newcomers have interest in reading liner notes? They probably haven't heard all of the songs yet; wouldn't they be more interested in the music itself? The purpose of liner notes or new photographs, as I see it, would be to woo fans into buying a disc that contains no new songs. But instead of liner notes, Cooking Vinyl gave us a live disc.
vilainde Posted - 08/01/2007 : 08:15:12
Wow wow wow. You're starting to sound like OldManInACoffeeCan, ccuadros.

Denis

Ziggy Posted - 08/01/2007 : 07:57:59
"The man deserves a hard package"

I've heard of uberfans, but that's taking things a bit too far, don't you think?
ccuadros Posted - 08/01/2007 : 07:36:41
Today I got my copy that I bought in CD Universe, I´m agree with the package, it´s a crap, the same than frank black francis, I enjoyed a lot the Live CD, great recording. The man deserves a hard package.

Salu2
shineoftheever Posted - 07/22/2007 : 14:40:59
i got the us edition for ten bucks including shipping off e-bay. crappy packaging versus paying for a download, don't know which is worse. i like having something to hold, touch, put away sort of thing, instead of holding up my ipod and saying "this is worth ten more dollars now." don't get me wrong, i've got lots of stuff in my ipod idon't own, but most were borrowed from the library and a lot i would purchase if and when i get lots and lots of disposable income or saw at a really low price.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
coastline Posted - 07/20/2007 : 15:28:32
Welcome to the forum, J-Dogg.

J-Dogg Posted - 07/20/2007 : 14:26:16
Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the packaging. It's pretty horrific. The man deserves much, much better. This Best Of should have hit with a splash to bring back the people who lost track of Frank Black when the Pixies broke up but it won't do it with this packaging. The print is really bad and it feels so small, like a free cd or something.

Still... great selection of tracks. Actually, it could have had Calistan and just a load of static and I'd hve said it was a great selection.

New kid by the way (to registering and posting, not to Frank, the website or even lurking at the boards).
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 07/17/2007 : 11:51:00
I bought the "terrible best of" with the scary cardboard package and this awfull song about sex change... br.... (sorry)

So, I guess i have the right to know were I could download for free the American and Japanese live compilation.

Thank You.

Vive la consommation et l'argent facile.

++++
coastline Posted - 07/17/2007 : 08:22:33
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

I want to say the live discs are very enjoyable and sound great! Thanks Ben M for the mix.

I have the key to #902

I'll second that. I enjoyed them very much on my ride to work this morning. They were superbly recorded and mixed.

1965 Posted - 07/17/2007 : 06:40:32
I want to say the live discs are very enjoyable and sound great! Thanks Ben M for the mix.

I have the key to #902
coastline Posted - 07/16/2007 : 19:57:04
From now on, I intend to buy all my CDs directly from Ben Mumphrey.
BenMumphrey Posted - 07/16/2007 : 19:51:25
In defense to a misrepresentative post, allow me to state that the "Ben Mumphrey route" is not to download from "immoral" music websites. I posted I'd SOONER download higher bit-rate mp3's from peer-to-peer applications (such as LimeWire) than buy defective, fascistic product from iTunes (immoral). I pointed out that "immoral" Russian sites have higher bit-rate files than iTunes. The "Ben Mumphrey route" is to buy the physical CD's, locally or online...
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by NimrodsSon

Do NOT, I repeat do NOT waste your money on this! The packaging is AWFUL!!! To begin, it's one of those cardboard gatefold sleeves that scrathes your CDs every time you pull them out, but then, and most importantly, there is not a booklet to be found. The only photo in the whole package is the one on the front cover. No liner notes, NOTHING. This, in my view, is completely unacceptable for a best-of release. I haven't listened to the live disc, so that may make it worth it, but not $26.00. That's right, I paid $10 for shipping from the UK (could have gotten free shipping on Amazon) so that I could get the poster, and sure enough, what do I get? Some tiny little promo poster that's folded in every which direction and not even evenly, mind you, so it's just a mess of creases! All I can say is, the live disc better be GREAT!

http://www.myspace.com/shadoplay

You know, I read this post several weeks ago and said to myself, "Meh. What does that matter?" And then today I wandered down to ye independent record shoppe with the intention of buying 93-03, and ended up walking away empty-handed because the packaging seemed so insignificant.

I own all the studio songs, and I've heard all the others live at one time or another, but I finally decided I had to have the CD -- since I want to support Frank and I do like to keep my collection as complete as possible. However, the packaging is so lame and insignificant, I'm tempted to go the Ben Mumphrey route and get the damn live tracks from some immoral Russian download site.

Boo. You lost a customer because you're cheap, Cooking Vinyl.

benji Posted - 07/15/2007 : 16:16:48
i haven't bought it and don't plan on buying it. seen both the us and eu versions for sale here, and the booklets are slightly different sizes, but it just doesn't interest me.
pity.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
coastline Posted - 07/15/2007 : 15:56:04
I ended up downloading all the live tracks from emusic this weekend. Not a bad deal either -- I got a one-month subscription for $15, which gives me 50 downloads. I used 21 of those downloads for the FB 93-03 live tracks, and at 30 cents a song, that comes out to $6.30.

I also used 12 of my credits for Doug Sahm's "The Return of Wayne Douglas." Goddam, he was nearly as good as Frank. No wonder FB covered one of his songs.

1965 Posted - 07/15/2007 : 15:40:32
By the way, why are the UK and USA digipaks different sizes? They look a bit odd side by side. Alt card stock = different resolution on the printing as well. Quality control a bit lost.

I have the key to #902
Grotesque Posted - 07/14/2007 : 04:31:37
The packaging is kinda small sized.
But I like the fact it's not a cristal cd packaging.
I hate those cristal boxes.
As it is it could be a small vynil.
But a very small one, indeed!
OLDMANOTY Posted - 07/14/2007 : 04:22:37
When I saw it siting in the racks it struck me how small and insignificant it looked due to the packaging. I expect Bluefinger will look similarly shoddy despite the cover art.
Ziggy Posted - 07/14/2007 : 02:53:24
The label's PR people are some of the rudest I've had the misfortune of dealing with, too.
The Holiday Son Posted - 07/13/2007 : 18:27:02
quote:
Boo. You lost a customer because you're cheap, Cooking Vinyl.

I'll say it again, but they lost me when they decided to make 3 different editions for the live tracks.
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 07/13/2007 : 16:11:02
The Package Men.

Good name for a band, no?

++++
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 07/13/2007 : 16:08:29
Don't worry Coastline, I bet you it won't change our good Frank's destiny...

++++

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000