-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 . : Kevchino.com | Honeycomb Review

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carichino Posted - 08/17/2005 : 18:52:17
DIRECT LINK: http://www.kevchino.com/index.aspx?review=644
Kevchino.com reviewer Mike Pea dishes out Frank a 9/10!
It's a great review . . . . check it out!
K
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
VoVat Posted - 08/22/2005 : 10:28:42
What about Norwegicana?

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
Carl Posted - 08/22/2005 : 09:32:34
He was feeling so brackinsh
Between Americana and Americanish!
HeywoodJablome Posted - 08/20/2005 : 11:43:06
How about Canadacana?
frank_black_francis Posted - 08/19/2005 : 06:19:42
If I hear the word 'Americana' again, I think I'm gonna puke.
Carl Posted - 08/18/2005 : 10:41:34
Well, that's another positive review, then.
Ten Percenter Posted - 08/18/2005 : 02:30:28
Thanks for posting this, a fine review indeed:

Black is back. Frank Black that is, but this time without the Pixies. "Honeycomb" is Black's ode to Americana music. Black was seriously considering naming the album Black on Blonde. A take on the Bob Dylan classic "Blonde on Blonde". The album was recorded in Nashville in four days with some of the town's most legendary session musicians.

This is the finest Frank Black record to date excluding the Pixies albums. It is his first solo album since 1996's "Cult of Ray". His usual backing band the Catholics are left behind this time for legendary session men Steve Cropper and Spooner Oldman. This is a first for Black who is tackling classic r&b and soul. With some country and folk flavor infused in "Honeycomb" Black followers with be pleasantly surprised to hear this uncharted territory. Pixies fans stay away if you're looking for the signature screams and weird lyrics about aliens you will find none here.

"Dark End of the Street" is a classic soul song. Black spills his guts on the song about love that he wants no one to know about. Not all of Black's signature quirky lyrics are gone. On "Song for the Shrimp" although not written by Black, he sings in his best country flavor a song about a shrimp that leaves his parents. "Strange Goodbye" is a classic soul country duet. Black's partner on this one his ex-wife Jean Black. It probably is their goodbye to each other since they were divorced a few years ago. The album's first single "I burn today" loosens up a bit on the classic r&b and is a folk pop classic.

When all is said and done Black has done what he usually does. That being what he wants when he wants. In the midst of the biggest reunion of the past year Black found time to write and record an album no one was expecting. I guess this will have to tide over Pixies fans until whenever or if ever the Pixies attempt the unthinkable.
Mike Pea

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000