-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Frank Black Readies Two LPs (Pitchfork)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Broken Face Posted - 11/16/2004 : 06:11:30
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-11/16.shtml#story3

Frank Black Readies Two LPs

Zach Vowell reports:

As we approach the final month of the Pixies wild reunion year, the band's prolific frontman Frank Black has begun releasing small breadcrumbs of information about his forthcoming solo album. As we reported last Monday, the record has ballooned into two discs and has assumed the working title of Honeycomb. But according to a Billboard report, we were mistaken in believing that the Honeycomb tag will necessarily encompass both discs. Black is apparently planning on releasing two albums, the second of which is currently untitled. Whether they would be released simultaneously, a la Bright Eyes and Lambchop and Nelly and lots of other people, is unclear.

Aside from the intriguing list of players we reported last week, Black has added The Band's Levon Helm, Spooner Oldham, southern soul songwriter/producer Dan Penn, singer/songwriter Duane Jarvis, and former Booker T. & The MG's guitarist Steve Cropper. It may help you, the reader, understand the presence of so many of these fine musicians on Black's record if we tell you that the sessions took place in Nashville. Not content to rest on the laurels of this year's neverending Pixies tour, Black is also planning a solo tour following the records' release.

And while Black maintained the vague "spring 2005" release date, he did elaborate a bit on the sound of the new records: "Mellow. It's just the way it came out. Maybe I wrote a little bit in the anticipation of playing with those kinds of guys. But they are definitely pre-punk, these guys. So it's not like they don't get it, it's just that they come from a different world, where it's a little more groove-oriented. They don't necessarily play loud." And while you're groovin' your ass to this delectable news, we'd like to remind you that members of The Funk Brothers worked on the records. No offense to the Catholics, but if Black can somehow assimilate his post-punk sensibilities with the "pre-punk" talent of the Nashville tunesmiths, and then funk it, then it might just be his best thing since, well, the Pixies. Or, you know, it could be a trainwreck.

The Pixies, meanwhile, have been followed around by cameras and lights whilst on tour so that a DVD can be manufactured, packaged, and released sometime in summer 2005, according to Black. The DVD reportedly documents the actual tour as well as lots of middle-aged backstage shenanigans. Anyone familiar with the band's history will leap at the chance to see David Lovering breaking up fights between Black and Kim Deal, or something to that effect.

Black is cryptic with regards to any potential new Pixies album: "I don't even know. I think the next time we go out, if we go out next summer, there won't even be the record out yet." However, you will note that his quote definitely implies a likely release, as well as a future tour. It's all good news here, baby!

.: Pitchfork Review: Frank Black Francis: Frank Black Francis
.: Pitchfork News: Pixies Launch Second Leg of Fall Tour, Frank Black Preps New Solo Album
.: Frank Black: http://www.frankblack.net

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
twist Posted - 11/19/2004 : 23:29:53
Neil Young played with Booker T and the MG's and the chemistry didn't hold a candle to Crazy Horse, This one looks like it might put Frank on the map and who knows might even be exceptionally phenomenal but I'm glad I saw him in small wretched holes in the wall with our beloved Catholics a few times. Is the 2nd one more strait ahead noisy stuff? I read somewhere Rick Neilson's on it.
billgoodman Posted - 11/17/2004 : 05:22:31
indeed avid-fan I couldn't agree more with you
I asume they just forgot it
I hope they forgor it
any good musicjournalist has BLD/DW in their cd player once a month

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Avid-Fan Posted - 11/16/2004 : 13:31:26
"Whether they would be released simultaneously, a la Bright Eyes and Lambchop and Nelly and lots of other people, is unclear."

Why not refer to BLACK LETTER DAYS/DEVIL'S WORKSHOP as the simultaneous release reference, instead of the other irrelevancies...

(( I talk plain talk ))
dayanara Posted - 11/16/2004 : 11:20:41
My question during the whole live chat shebang was would there be a big tour for honeycomb. The official, if cryptic, response:

"Big tour for Honey: don't expect it, but you never know. Maybe I was supposed to be a country star. Actually it ain't that country. "

Around here, intolerance will not be tolerated
Jason Posted - 11/16/2004 : 09:52:19
I'm not believing in a 2005 Frank (sans Pixies) tour until I see a direct quote from Frank himself on that.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 11/16/2004 : 08:22:10
Pretty sure that was just a joke. The DVD will likely be the crew following them from show to show on the tour, with lots of backstage/bus/hotel footage and peppered with live clips from various cities.

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"
Douglas Posted - 11/16/2004 : 08:15:19
Wow. That's amazing! I just hope he starts his solo-tour the first half of next year (even though I don't know if that's likely) because then I'll still be in the U.S. Otherwise he better come to Nothern Europe!

Nice to here that a second Pixies tour isn't out of the question either.

And what do you think about the DVD? Black and Deal fights getting released on video? I dunno...

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000