-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Nashville Sessions Generate Two New Black CDs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Broken Face Posted - 11/12/2004 : 09:45:24
From Billboard.com - http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000718558

Nashville Sessions Generate Two New Black CDs

As the Pixies' reunion tour plows ahead, singer/guitarist Frank Black plans to release two albums' worth of material recorded earlier this year in Nashville, with a solo trek to follow. As tipped here this summer, the first release will be titled "Honeycomb" but the second has yet to be named.

"In the spring maybe, but the labels take f*cking forever," Black tells Billboard.com of a potential release date for the first set. "It's not like the old days when everyone use to release a record every five months. Now, everything is so calculated and so precious and so careful."

The Nashville sessions, which were literally finished days before Black joined his former Pixie bandmates on the road, feature an array of legendary players, including the Band's Levon Helm, Bob Babbitt, Spooner Oldham, Dan Penn, Duane Jarvis and Steve Cropper.

While Black says "Honeycomb," which is finished and contains such songs as "Lone Child" and "My Life Is in Storage," is "magic," the remaining album "has so many people playing on it, we have to kind of wade through it to find the magic." As for the creative direction of the sessions, one word describes the entire project.

"Mellow," says Black. "It's just the way it came out. Maybe I wrote a little bit in anticipation with playing with those kinds of guys. But they are definitely pre-punk, these guys. So it's not like they don't get it, it's just that they come from a different world, where it's a little more groove-oriented. They don't necessarily play loud."

"It's not necessarily not tough or not aggressive but it's just... I think of Leonard Cohen as being mellow but I don't think of him as being wimpy," he continues.

As for the Pixies, the band is currently being followed around by a camera crew for an eventual DVD release. Black hints a possible summer 2005 street date for the set, documenting the reunion tour, as well as backstage interaction between band members.

Black remains elusive when asked if a new Pixies studio album could be in the offing. "I don't even know," he says. " I think the next time we go out, if we go out next summer, there won't even be the record out yet. Like I said, these record companies take forever."

-- John Benson, Cleveland

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
theFILLshow Posted - 11/12/2004 : 14:17:28
quote:
Originally posted by Adam

Is this list correct, or did I misread: Honeycomb (2 discs), another FB solo disc, and a Pixies dvd? Not sure if I understood the Nashville sessions conversation. Couldn't tell if he is talking about two or three discs.

Free the Heel!

No, there's "Honeycomb" the first Nashville session, then the unnamed second.

_____
http://ww.hotncold.vzz.com
I'm a man of, constant sorrow..
n/a Posted - 11/12/2004 : 13:07:24
Great news!!! A DVD and a SUMMER TOUR? I hope that includes Europe Festivals...

No peito dos desafinados
Também bate um coração
Adam Posted - 11/12/2004 : 13:04:46
Is this list correct, or did I misread: Honeycomb (2 discs), another FB solo disc, and a Pixies dvd? Not sure if I understood the Nashville sessions conversation. Couldn't tell if he is talking about two or three discs.

Free the Heel!
Skatealex1 Posted - 11/12/2004 : 12:13:35
WOW A fucking Pixies dvd will make me go insane :):):):)

The Truth Is Out There
billgoodman Posted - 11/12/2004 : 12:01:20
this is great news!
I wonder which labels he is talking about
I don't think he means cooking vinyl/spinart
on the other hand he seems a bit angry
why would he be angry at a new label?
or maybe he was talking about the fact
that they don't have one yet for honeycomb
another intreseting bit:
the two nashville sessions are seperated
there's no mention of a double album

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
dayanara Posted - 11/12/2004 : 10:29:27
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

Black remains elusive when asked if a new Pixies studio album could be in the offing. "I don't even know," he says. " I think the next time we go out, if we go out next summer, there won't even be the record out yet. Like I said, these record companies take forever."

Hmmm....interesting. I guess they're dealing with record companies after all. That sounds like a lot of touring next year, solo + Pixies. But I guess he's the one person I shouldn't worry about burning out.

Did I tell you guys that I'm just stupidly excited about this DVD? Cause I am. Yep.

Is it time to start up the FB DVD petition again?

Around here, intolerance will not be tolerated
vilainde Posted - 11/12/2004 : 09:50:17
I think I'm gonna cry. Solo tour? Pixies DVD? This too f***ing good to be true.

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000