-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 Is this gonna be a sing-along type thing?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
klikger Posted - 04/09/2004 : 13:27:48
I know there will inevitably be some fans that won't be able to help themselves, but I hope that this doesn't turn into something like <shudders> Dashboard Confessional Unplugged. No offense to you Frankophiles with beautiful voices, but I want to be able to hear him clearly. At the same time, I completely understand the need for some people to sing-along. I just don't like it very much. (The best show of my life so far had several grating moments when an obnoxiously drunk neighbor was convinced that he had the same vocal range as Thom Yorke.) What are your expectations and preferences for the reunion tour?
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/15/2004 : 09:22:59
quote:
Originally posted by astrocat

I'm glad you two figured out it doesn't hurt to sing along.

yup mee too... and man i hope they turn it up to 12 (i think it was 11 on 4/13) at Roy Wilkins in Nov. (if i can get tix). That way it will drown out my dead rat voice and it won't disturb anyone :)
astrocat Posted - 04/15/2004 : 02:15:36
I'm glad you two figured out it doesn't hurt to sing along.
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/14/2004 : 12:59:50
yup, I agree kilger!!!!

The singing along didn't bother me either and yes, I was a hypocrite for the first couple of songs. It was like being possesed by the devil...i couldn't stop it.

I then tried to mouth along...but the singing along didn't bother me .

There was one person who sings like a dead rat...like me...that was singing before the show and that was the only singing that annoyed me I guess i noticed when I was singing the first couple of songs that i couldn't hear as well either...it was kind of like i was distracting myself if that makes sense.
klikger Posted - 04/14/2004 : 04:07:14
Even though I finally have someone else in this thread that isn't bashing me (Thanks Daisy! ;) ), I must admit that I sang along with some songs, as did most of the people, and it didn't detract from Frank and Kim at all. Their mics were up high enough to make it sound perfect. And it was fun. But I didn't sing along to every song.
woodworm Posted - 04/13/2004 : 12:41:16
i will be singing

im not going to stand there and act cool like other "hip-sters"

this is about enjoying one of my favorite bands, if people sing, so be it

i will be

Daisy Girl Posted - 04/13/2004 : 12:22:32
quote:
Originally posted by jackanapes

I don't think it will be a "sing-a-long". Personally for me it will be a mouth-a-long. I will be staring in awe and only able to open my mouth for select verses, trying to catch the little nuances inflected in each line.

Yes mouthalong=GOOD
Sing along = BAAAAAAD

I am thinking about bring duct tape for my own trap...maybe we should pass it around. Luckily...i have a husband that will clamp his hand over my boca if i get too crazy...i am going to be a good girl and MOUTH the lyrics...which is a good thing because I am tone deaf!!!!

Maybe fine line can start a no sing-along deal..no pun intended...because they are making a recording singers will get the boot??? I am just scared if one person starts singing, then some other peeps too and then we will all be F'ing holding hands and singing kumbaya...i want to HEAR the band!!!!

If you want to sing along, tribute bands a great outlet for that
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/13/2004 : 12:16:02
quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

If i see anybody wearing a concert shirt from 12 years ago, I'll punch them!

"Do Re Mi, So Far So Good"

So if i wear my thowing muses shrit when they opened up for REM I won't get decked???
loudlarf Posted - 04/13/2004 : 07:52:41
These gigs should be unique. They're going to be full of people desperate to see the Pixies. There won't be many people hanging around at the back drinking and chatting. You don't get manage to get a ticket to one of these shows unless you are dead keen. The atmosphere should be electric, and I fully expect everyone to be singing their little hearts out. Marvelous.
hibster Posted - 04/13/2004 : 04:57:25
well said oh stuttering amphibious person.

pc? me?

this is why events unerve me
ttturtle Posted - 04/13/2004 : 04:52:58
Get a life you miseries. This is a Pixies concert - EVERYONE is going to be singing whether they like it or not and it's going to be all the better for it. I paid my money to be part of this happy/drunken/tearful choir and Frank will outsing us all. Clapping along to bands - now that REALLY shouldn't be allowed...
hibster Posted - 04/13/2004 : 04:02:40
are you people for real??
it's a live gig - at the front it will be mental, people jumping around singing, at the back there will be people talking (the idiots)
if you dont like people singing along, then move to a different part of the venue!
everyone's a winner

this is why events unerve me
Chip. Posted - 04/12/2004 : 18:55:54
Fuck off man, the best BEST experience of my entire life was singing the man is five part to mgth at the solo frank gig (albeit this was after a big tense period of almost not being let in). If it makes you so pissed off then try to change your attitude. I mean, you're not going to the pixies to see how differently they play the songs live, "we never vamped much", it's not like you're going to miss out on the music. The singalong is part of the gig...
porkbone1 Posted - 04/12/2004 : 18:19:01
quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

Please do not punch my wife. I think a lot of people will be wearing Pixies shirts. Why not?

The joke has come upon me
lafemmeaffole Posted - 04/12/2004 : 18:14:36
with the exception of some loud/obnoxious/drunk dude standing right next to you singing so loud you can't hear the band properly...I don't think that people singing along should be a big deal. I've been to shows at First Ave where literally everyone is singing along at a reasonable level, and if you were blind you wouldn't even be able to tell. but then again I don't know what the sound at the Fine Line is like. and if that's going to ruin a Pixies show for you, then that's too bad. just relax and be happy you're there! don't let someone else ruin your experience.
shineoftheever Posted - 04/12/2004 : 16:59:18
A pixies shirt that is!

shineoftheever Posted - 04/12/2004 : 16:58:03

Sad Punk Posted - 04/11/2004 : 23:09:00
i uncontrollably sang along to the breeders with joey playing gigantic a few weeks ago in L.A.
it felt real good though
i have a feeling it will happen again
don't stand by me
i'm tone deaf
and i might hit you with my airguitar riffs

btw, i think stupidme is right on with the show advice and observations

i
roomloo Posted - 04/11/2004 : 22:55:03
I'll just be happy to be there. If people sing, they sing.
StupidMe Posted - 04/11/2004 : 22:43:54
I used to be worried about going to shows and there being annoying singing or moshing, or talking on cell phones, or somthing else that really got on my nerves at the time. One day I realized that its not about everyone being quiet and acting however you want them to. Everyone paid to get in there, and they have a right to a good time. I think everyone who goes to concerts knows about what goes on, and if you dont like it, dont go. Its that simple. Relax! its supposed to be fun, not irritating or worrisome!
Domestiques Posted - 04/11/2004 : 07:54:26
I dont know any of the words, I am crap with all lyrics, I know like 2 hefner lyrics and half a line of mary prankster lyrics and I do a website for both of them, I would appear a dickhead if I were to sing so I will be smiling from ear to ear and singing along in my head Im moving out of this upsydaisy Im afraid Im coming by.

------------------------
“I want to be a star!” I cried
They said, “You’re overqualified.
Why don’t you learn to tune your damn guitar?”
frank_black_francis Posted - 04/11/2004 : 05:50:01
If at least half of the people on this thread admit to "the need to sing along" (there is no such thing actually considering that anyone who gave a shit beyond themself/ego wouldnt do it)....I say good luck hearing what you've waited 12 years to hear! [this tour will be a sad mess of idiots who all want everyone around them to know that they are such diehard fans that they know every fucking word / among them are the kinda people who actually think that if people only could see their record collection, they would get the respect and attention that they deserve)....thats why it may really suck to see them in really big venues...no, but seriously, good luck!
klikger Posted - 04/10/2004 : 23:28:49
Oh, I definitely think that fans should go wild and have a blast at a concert. Jumping up and down and doing whatever the giddiness inside you tells you to do is part of the fun. I'm all for that. I just want to be able to hear the inflections in the singers voice, because I'm paying to listen to him/her, not the person next to me. I don't even have a problem with a person singing along with their favorite song at a decent volume level, I just can't stand when they feel the need to be heard by people 20 feet away from them. I would also hate if the entire crowd sang along with every note of every song, like the Dashboard Confessional fans I mentioned above.
astrocat Posted - 04/10/2004 : 22:36:10
Wait a minute. Aren't we seeing the Pixies LIVE? What happened to the experience of seeing your favorite band live? In my mind, a big part of it is being so excited you can't help but sing along or let out a whoop or jump up and down (politely, not hitting your neighbor in the process). If we all just sat there quiet not doing anything I'm sure the band would leave the stage thinking they were shit and no one liked the show. When I'm at a show I want to experience being at the show, excited, totally in the moment, rather than worrying about how the live cd will sound later. To me, perfect sound is what studio recordings are for. A live show is about the experience. If you want quiet, go to the library.

But that's not to say I don't have my own pet peeves at shows, like stumbling drunk people, and people that squeeze themselves and 5 of their friends into the tiny space in front of you. I think people should rock out and have fun and be excited, but not stupid.

(BTW, I do try not to sing along so loudly anyone else can hear. I am aware it sounds like crap and that'd be embarrassing.)
jackanapes Posted - 04/10/2004 : 19:47:40
I don't think it will be a "sing-a-long". Personally for me it will be a mouth-a-long. I will be staring in awe and only able to open my mouth for select verses, trying to catch the little nuances inflected in each line.
melikehairycamel Posted - 04/10/2004 : 14:38:16
I'm not really much for sing alongs, but I do think it would be awesome if everyone did the ooooooooooooos at the beginning of where is my mind, kind of like on the death to the pixies version. Now I will go.
Gratefuljason3 Posted - 04/10/2004 : 02:14:22
Ah, it's nothing that a friendly roundhouse to the thorax wouldn't fix in fairly short order. I'll be administering these free of charge, row-by-row, on the second balcony if things get out of hand.

This may the only time for many of us to see the Pixies live in person. So, please, for the sake of humanity and all that is good and true in the universe:

"Shut your stinkin' trap!" - Skank
Domestiques Posted - 04/09/2004 : 22:36:51
mental note, pete keep your big gob shut.

------------------------
“I want to be a star!” I cried
They said, “You’re overqualified.
Why don’t you learn to tune your damn guitar?”
klikger Posted - 04/09/2004 : 19:17:54
I guess that at a general admission show, it's not too bad if someone annoyingly loud is standing next to you, because you can just move. It sucks when you stuck there though. I'm not worried about the shows on this tour though, because I don't think it's possible for them to be ruined. Just to see the band up there will be worth the price of admission.
jvince Posted - 04/09/2004 : 18:49:46
I concur with the majority. Why doesn't those who like to sing just mouth the words or sing quietly?
pixiesseixip Posted - 04/09/2004 : 18:44:43
quote:
Originally posted by mnsteelers

I apologize in advance. I won't be able to help myself!!!! I mean, come on. Lying there like you're TAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE ....breathe...TAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEE!!!

My name is Mike. I'll be one of the many retards with a Pixies shirt on jumping up and down screaming through most of the show. If you ask nicely, I'll do my best to try and not piss you off. I certainly don't want to ruin anyone's time but you could sing along with me.

a perfect example...
pixiesseixip Posted - 04/09/2004 : 18:41:25
quote:
Originally posted by Picapiedra

I agree with Porkbone. If we're able to hear each other singing, then there's a problem with the sound level.

I don't agree. All it takes is one idiot standing right next to you to ruin a perfectly great show, no matter how loud they crank it up (as you can tell, I'm bitter about this).
mnsteelers Posted - 04/09/2004 : 18:07:43
I apologize in advance. I won't be able to help myself!!!! I mean, come on. Lying there like you're TAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE ....breathe...TAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEE!!!

My name is Mike. I'll be one of the many retards with a Pixies shirt on jumping up and down screaming through most of the show. If you ask nicely, I'll do my best to try and not piss you off. I certainly don't want to ruin anyone's time but you could sing along with me.
Picapiedra Posted - 04/09/2004 : 17:56:12
I agree with Porkbone. If we're able to hear each other singing, then there's a problem with the sound level. And that's just wrong on so many differnt levels.

My bootleg of Frank playing Pixies songs solo in London has an annoying twerp that is overpowering franks solo-setup. As much as it drives me nuts, I know I won't be able to resist singing a bit, plus screaching out a few of Joey's rifs. But since the whole band should be blasting me away, it shouldn't really matter.

Can't wait!
-roger.

"Drug run'n on this Panamanian schooner."
porkbone1 Posted - 04/09/2004 : 16:58:37
I don't know, but when I saw FB&TC last time, it was louder than shit. Even if everyone sang along there's no way it would have been louder than the band. Anyway, I agree that people should shut up and listen to the concert. If you want to sing along with something, pop the CD in the car stereo on the way to the concert and get it out of your system.

The joke has come upon me
Dave Noisy Posted - 04/09/2004 : 16:31:57
I see singalongs when the local Pixies cover band plays...no doubt people will be singing...hehe..

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000