-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 pixies sold out so fast for davis, sucks!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bwolmarans Posted - 03/01/2004 : 16:47:51
Davis is closest to me ( bay area )

tickets.com was unavailable starting at 10:00am PST today and the phone numbers, including local and 800, were all jammed. I should have driven up there but I had to work ...

I guess seeing them at Coachella will be good with a really huge sound wall of PA's and the big stage and all but I sure wanted to see them at small venue.

tickets on ebay for the Davis show are $250 SUCKS!!!

[MOVED]
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bwolmarans Posted - 04/15/2004 : 23:18:36
quote:
Originally posted by pixiesseixip

Dude, what's up with the conspiracy theories?
I hope you guys aren't serious.
There was no "secret code" to get through online to get tickets. Apparently what happened was the main tickets.com page got swamped and was really slow, but if you had been smart enough to bookmark the page with the pixies event (http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?agency=TDC&pid=5304509) which had been available online for at least a couple of weeks before the sale, you were all set.

Your logic is flawed in so many ways.
Firstly, I doubt 80% of tickets went to scalpers.
Secondly, I as tickets were limited to 6 per person, I doubt that any one scalper got enough tickets to make the $100,000 profit to use as kickbacks to the producers, or students at UC Davis (depending on which conspiracy theory you subscribe to).
Thirdly, if they (producers/students) really wanted to make more money, they would have simply charged more than the $25 face value for the tickets. They could have reasonably charged upwards of $35-$40, in addition to tacking on whatever service fee they wanted to charge.
Finally, I can't believe I just wasted the last 3 minutes of my life responding to your pathetic posts.

roomloo Posted - 04/11/2004 : 08:54:46
quote:
they could have reasonably charged upwards of $35-$40, in addition to tacking on whatever service fee they wanted to charge.

I've always wondered why ticket prices don't always follow the laws of supply and demand. I mean, obviously if your only goal is to maximize profits, you're doing something wrong if tickets sell out within a couple minutes. On the other hand, I doubt that Ticketmaster is doing this out of the goodness of their dear hearts. So there must be some law capping off the ticket prices. Can anyone verify this (with specific information, links, etc.), and if it is so is there some specific formula that is used to designate the maximum ticket price for an event?

Just curious.
pixiesseixip Posted - 04/11/2004 : 08:40:38
Dude, what's up with the conspiracy theories?
I hope you guys aren't serious.
There was no "secret code" to get through online to get tickets. Apparently what happened was the main tickets.com page got swamped and was really slow, but if you had been smart enough to bookmark the page with the pixies event (http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?agency=TDC&pid=5304509) which had been available online for at least a couple of weeks before the sale, you were all set.

Your logic is flawed in so many ways.
Firstly, I doubt 80% of tickets went to scalpers.
Secondly, I as tickets were limited to 6 per person, I doubt that any one scalper got enough tickets to make the $100,000 profit to use as kickbacks to the producers, or students at UC Davis (depending on which conspiracy theory you subscribe to).
Thirdly, if they (producers/students) really wanted to make more money, they would have simply charged more than the $25 face value for the tickets. They could have reasonably charged upwards of $35-$40, in addition to tacking on whatever service fee they wanted to charge.
Finally, I can't believe I just wasted the last 3 minutes of my life responding to your pathetic posts.

darwin Posted - 04/11/2004 : 01:41:45
I don't think many tickets were sold at the university box office and I believe it's the producers (or whatever their called) that set the ticket limit at 6. It's with those folks (Not UC employees) that kickbacks would be effective.
bwolmarans Posted - 04/10/2004 : 17:04:45
Scalper Math
============
From http://freebornhall.ucdavis.edu/ you can see how many people fit in the hall and do some scalper math. Assuming scalpers grabbed 80% of the tickets:

venue capacity = 1800 people
% of tickets grabbed by scaplers = 80% = 1420 tickets
face value of tickets = $30 = $42,600 paid by scalpers for tickets
ticket price scalpers are asking = $100 = $142,000 for all the tix
scalper profit = $142,000 - $42,000 = $99,400 profit

So with close to 100 grand in pure profit up for grabs, I am guessing the scalpers can afford bribes of a few grand to the ticketweb folks, the University / Hall folks, and so on to get the secret dial in number to buy the tickets. I personally think they did it on a dial in number. This is because for every 1800 number, there is a local number. If the scalpers know the local number they can call that and possibly get through faster. Bastards!

Oh and P.S. if you do that math and assume the tickets are scalping at $150, which some have been that comes out to a profit of $170,400.
darwin Posted - 04/08/2004 : 10:56:06
Somebody soon after the show sold out claimed that if one knew the event code and then pointed their browser to that specific page then access was much better. So, scalpers knowing this trick may have done much better than us naive fans.
BLT Posted - 04/08/2004 : 08:47:55
quote:
Originally posted by bwolmarans

So if none of us could buy online or 800 number, and the person who posted here who stood in line couldn't buy either, then what secret system are the scalpers using?

I have absolutely no evidence to back this up, but I've always imagined they have transactions behind the scenes. People "on the inside" so to speak.
bwolmarans Posted - 04/07/2004 : 23:04:37
I am watching ebay ... seems there is an endless supply that's one good thing.

One auction ending in 1hr is 2 tix for $199 but seems bogus because nobody has bid on it.

There is a bid ending in 16hrs for $300 for 2 tix that has had 22 bids.

I'll wait until the week before. Then the scalpers will have to send their little minions out to the campus.

I'll drive up there on the day and sit outside the hall all day with a sign saying "paying $50".

Come join me!
bwolmarans Posted - 04/07/2004 : 23:03:37
So if none of us could buy online or 800 number, and the person who posted here who stood in line couldn't buy either, then what secret system are the scalpers using?
HashWax Posted - 03/02/2004 : 23:18:41
this whole thing was a fucking crock. it seems like most of the tickets went to the damn scalpers

*brandon
BLT Posted - 03/01/2004 : 19:38:01
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Driving up to Davis wouldn't have done any good. I was about 30th in line (I got there at 5:20) and only the first 3 or 4 people got to buy tickets. There were 100 tickets reserved for students, but not postdocs, faculty, and staff.

What a joke! You have my sympathy.
darwin Posted - 03/01/2004 : 17:45:43
Driving up to Davis wouldn't have done any good. I was about 30th in line (I got there at 5:20) and only the first 3 or 4 people got to buy tickets. There were 100 tickets reserved for students, but not postdocs, faculty, and staff.
pants Posted - 03/01/2004 : 17:21:12
i wonder if any real pixies fans got tickets for this show. it seems only scalpers got them. sucks big time.
bwolmarans Posted - 03/01/2004 : 16:50:43
this should be in pixies live section goldbrickkerrr

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000