-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 The Night the Zombies Came Reviews

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brank_Flack Posted - 10/21/2024 : 08:35:24
Slant Magazine 4/5: https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/pixies-the-night-the-zombies-came-album-review/

Riff Magazine (positive): https://riffmagazine.com/reviews/pixies-the-night-the-zombies-came/
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
yarbles Posted - 10/22/2024 : 02:33:50
Maybe just a reference? Kinda like a demo/jumping off point... like... here's the songs Charles wrote and the band assembled, we need to record these things ASAP to get back on schedule as much as we can, here's what we've done so far.

Or maybe he just had Emma go for it with only Charles', Joey's, and Dave's parts.
billgoodman Posted - 10/22/2024 : 02:03:28
If I was Tom I would never give the recordings of Paz' vocal and bass to Emma. But who knows?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
yarbles Posted - 10/22/2024 : 01:24:42
She did record her parts remotely in England with Tom, before ever actually meeting the rest of the band in person. She probably took some creative liberties, either her own choices or based on guidance from Tom. But I'm guessing the majority of the parts were already there on Paz's vocal takes, I can't imagine them changing too radically.

I would LOVE to hear the rough tracks from that Guilford Sounds session last Ooctober. Would be really interesting to hear the Paz version vs the final Emma version.

Maybe one way to glean how much the vocals changed is to compare Paz's version of Que Sera Sera to the final released version with Emma. Subtle changes, and I think it comes more down to the tone/feel of their voices. Paz was a little more subdued/raspy even? While Emma is a bit more strong/solid. Both good, but just different.
tamefan Posted - 10/22/2024 : 01:24:18
Re-recording and re-writing are different, though; and it's not clear who writes the backing vocal harmonies. It seems established that Emma rewrote the bass lines.
billgoodman Posted - 10/22/2024 : 01:16:05
We do know that Emma did her recording remote, so I think she wrote her own parts and Dalgety supported her like he does with other band members

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
tamefan Posted - 10/22/2024 : 01:09:03
It is a guessing game. Does a backing vocalist normally write their own backing harmonies or are those written by the lead songwriter? Charles is typically the sole credited writer, which suggests that he writes them. Hmm. I also wouldn't be surprised if Charles delegated to the backing vocalist. And the description of "Beatles-esque" harmonies on Zombies sounds, to me, like a description that could be applied to Paz's harmonies on Doggerel, which, then, might suggest Emma is singing parts written by Paz. Or, that all of these parts were written by Charles. I was hoping that perhaps someone in the band had said something that might clue us into what Emma had or had not altered in the recording process. Would the band rewrite anything done by Paz out of principle, even if it meant a worse song?
yarbles Posted - 10/22/2024 : 00:05:33
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

Does anyone know if Emma's "Beatles-esque harmonies" (Slant review) are re-recordings of Paz's harmonies or if they are new creations?

No way of knowing what Paz's parts were like originally, unless we had access to the original recordings from October 2023.
tamefan Posted - 10/21/2024 : 21:00:08
Does anyone know if Emma's "Beatles-esque harmonies" (Slant review) are re-recordings of Paz's harmonies or if they are new creations?
Sprite Posted - 10/21/2024 : 13:00:15
Pretty positive!

It's gonna be a long wait till Friday....

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000