-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Village Voice on Bam Thwok and FB&TC I-Tunes EP

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The New Bolero Posted - 12/29/2004 : 22:06:54
This excerpt is from a story on music exclusively available on Apple's I-Tunes download service. The headline reads, "The Pixies lead a mixed bag of Apple-only mini-albums" and they go on to praise Bam Thwok. The Bam Thwok review is a nice, if overly generous write-up (I mean, comparing it to "Louie Louie?") but it's followed by a one-sentence, out-of-nowhere hatchet-job on Frank's I-Tunes EP with the Catholics, where he makes mention of "Black Francis'" "retarded folk-rock." A couple paragraphs down, the reviewer then implies that "Black Francis" isn't "aware of his musical boundaries." Now this may or may not be true. Me? I tend to disagree, but that's a separate story. What bugged me about this article was the way the guy instantly dismisses "Black Francis'" work outside the Pixies and limp-wrists it away as unworthy of even a second sentence. And nice use of the word 'retarded' too. So few writers outside of the ones who scribble notes in 7th grade science class are comfortable using 'retarded' in such a context. I'll bet that had he gone on to write a second sentence elaborating on his disdain for "Black Francis'" EP with the Catholics he would have used the words 'gay' and 'grody' too.

Excerpt:
The best of the bunch is the Pixies' "Bam Thwok," released soon after their reunion. Featuring Kim Deal on lead vocals, it kicks as much ass as any song this year not only because it suggests renewed hope for the greatest alt band ever, but because of how perfectly it weds lyrical harmony to loaded power chords and a carnival-riff organ interlude that smolders and smokes into sloppy bliss. Like "Louie Louie," "Da Doo Ron Ron," or "Hey Ya!" of yore, its unintelligibility keeps it fun, and more importantly, it reassures us that a teetotaling Deal hasn't turned into a cynic. Her convincing blindness to race, creed, and gender impresses most when she sings in 50,000 watts, "I love the Universe, I love all the listeners." On his own separate four-song iTunes set, Black Francis experiments with rockabilly, retarded folk-country, organ-laden surf-punk, and '50s-greaser barbershop-sludge.

Link to brainiac's article:
http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0452/o'donnell.php
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Itchload Posted - 01/10/2005 : 17:01:27
Yeah, me too. He's not panning Frank's solo stuff, in fact he seems to make it seem more diverse than the EP actually is. He makes it sound like some wacky experimental 4 track ep.
prozacrat Posted - 01/07/2005 : 23:12:12
Perhaps he was using the term "retarded" in the sense of slowed-down, and not the mentally challenged sense. I'll just assume that was his intention.
Daisy Girl Posted - 12/30/2004 : 15:00:47
Well it's too bad that he used the world choice "retarted," I would say that many people including myself find that offensive. It's good that the liked Bam Thowk. As far as Frank goes, it's hard to believe that he would have such an extreme negative opinion about it when he like the Pixies material so much.
mosleyk Posted - 12/30/2004 : 13:29:40
I'm in! I have been dreaming of a chance to test out some of my eagle-claw kungfu moves. I took classes in the early 90's and have yet to kick somebodies butt with them. Okay...but if we split the jail time, I get the second shift.......
speedy_m Posted - 12/30/2004 : 12:58:46
Right, now the two of us can beat up bumblebeeboy together. I mean, I could do it myself, but this way we split the jail time.
mosleyk Posted - 12/30/2004 : 12:56:46
I absolutely agree with you speedy m. I always walk quickly away when somebody starts talking about "alt" music. In my opinion it doesn't exist anymore. Obviously this writer has a very small knowledge base by which to toss his textually ignorant statement.
speedy_m Posted - 12/30/2004 : 09:34:55
I guess I'm just not fond of the term "alt". I think there was about five minutes there in the early 90s when this term had any relevance, and wasn't associated with some of the worst music around. When I think "alt" bands, I think of Nirvana, who started the trend (not by choice, I'm sure), and the glut of horrid bands that followed (STP, Candlebox, Creed, Nickleback). "Alternative" as a way to describe music is really totally useless, but I suppose no more so than "indie rock". Fortunately, the term "indie" has retained some relevance, though that is quickly slipping away. Besides, I always thought the Pixies were a "college" rock band.
bumblebeeboy2 Posted - 12/30/2004 : 08:58:08
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

Referring to the Pixes as the "greatest alt band ever" immediatly discludes you from having any sort of credibility as a critic.

how so?

The Monkey Helper has arrived http://www.monkeyhelper.co.uk (that is my band)
or to go straight to the music downloads http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/monkeyhelpermusic.htm
speedy_m Posted - 12/30/2004 : 07:42:43
Referring to the Pixes as the "greatest alt band ever" immediatly discludes you from having any sort of credibility as a critic.
tisasawath Posted - 12/30/2004 : 00:33:17
funny how often people will use words like "experiment" to try to give themselves some perspective on things they can't grasp

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000