-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Pixies Caught on Film (interview w/filmmaker)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dayanara Posted - 12/28/2004 : 10:17:02
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1104204632179

The Pixies caught on film
By PAMELA CHELIN

When the Pixies announced its reunion and world tour earlier this year, concert ticket lines were bombarded with requests, online message boards went crazy, and the press was abuzz.

But one Pixies fan in particular, 36-year-old Jewish New Yorker Steven Cantor, took his obsession a step further.

A documentary filmmaker, Cantor, a director/writer and executive producer for Stick Figure productions, was growing sick of the usual stories.

"I had just finished telling my partner, Daniel Laikind, that I didn't want to direct another documentary unless something miraculous happened... either Jesus coming down to Earth or the Pixies getting back together," recalled Cantor in a recent telephone interview.

This simple conversation led to the birth of a film that has followed the American rock band over the past year, while it was on the road. The as-yet untitled Pixies documentary, which finished filming earlier this month, is scheduled to be released next summer.

Immediately after the tour announcement, Cantor began a barrage of e-mails, letters and phone calls to Pixies manager Ken Goes. There were at least 17 other filmmakers vying for the project, but Pixies singer Frank Black, a fan of Cantor's film Devil's Playground, awarded the gig to Cantor.

"It's a dream come true," said Cantor. "I always wanted to do a documentary about a rock band, if I could find the right band. The Pixies were people that we were in awe of and worshiped when were at the age to idolize a favorite band, and here we got to hang out with them backstage, follow them onstage and get to know them."

Cantor is working on the documentary with fellow Stick Figure producer/videographer Matthew Galkin.

"The Pixies are a quirky band that you can't quite put your finger on, so we didn't want to blow the mystique, " said Cantor, elaborating on the content of the film. "We don't want a 'Here is the story of the Pixies.' It's really the film equivalent of their songs - quirky, with strange rhythms.

"There will be many things in the film that will be revelations to a lot of people."

Formed in the late Eighties in Boston by former roommates, singer/guitarist Charles Thompson (whose original stage name was Black Francis, but who is known currently as Frank Black) and lead guitarist Joey Santiago, the Pixies were one of the most influential bands to pave the way for what became known as "alternative rock."

Also including bassist Kim Deal and drummer David Lovering, the band produced hits such as "Here Comes Your Man," (1989) "Monkey Gone To Heaven," (1989) "Velouria," (1990), and "Where is my mind?" (1988).

In fact, when Nirvana shot to the top of the charts with the hit, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in 1991, Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain said: "I was trying to write the ultimate pop song. I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies."

When the Pixies broke up the following year, amidst rumors of irreconcilable differences, there was little hope of a reunion, until the announcement of the 2004 world tour.

"My alter ego is being the front person for a rock band," said Cantor, "so this was like my alter ego coming to life. At the first show, which they played in Minnesota, the four of them walked onstage and I was right behind them with the camera."

Galkin added: "It was really exciting to be in such close proximity to a band I love. They're pretty private people, and certainly media savvy, so they were tough to break through to, but being around them every day and getting them to trust us became a rewarding experience. I still get chills watching the 16-year-olds in the audiences freaking out and singing along, knowing every word to every song."

Though the documentary will reveal much about this notoriously private band, including amusing moments such as the first tour rehearsal, when Kim Deal and Frank Black forgot the ending to one of the songs and had to keep passing an i-Pod back and forth in order to re-learn it, the documentary will satisfy the hunger to know more about the Pixies, but it will also leave room for mystery.

And that is how these filmmakers want it.

If you really want to know, look in the Frank
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Daisy Girl Posted - 12/30/2004 : 14:58:13
Wow. I am really looking forward to this. How cool is it that Steven is a huge fan himself??? I know the band would have only chosen a quality crew, but it makes it extra special that he's a fan too!
billgoodman Posted - 12/29/2004 : 03:44:29
this is great
especially the i-pod stuff

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Black_francis_ Posted - 12/29/2004 : 03:14:56
In fact, when Nirvana shot to the top of the charts with the hit, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in 1991, Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain said: "I was trying to write the ultimate pop song. I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies."

You're jokin?!?

'A wishing well of well wishing'
Skatealex1 Posted - 12/28/2004 : 19:09:09
Sounds killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Truth Is Out There
mammynuns Posted - 12/28/2004 : 13:56:42
nice! i cant wait for this....

it sounds like everything i was hoping the 'gouge' documentary would be.
Chip Away Boy Posted - 12/28/2004 : 11:09:43
ipods,, hah
Ziggy Posted - 12/28/2004 : 10:48:00
Actually that sounds very cool.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000