-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 News Flash! Kurt Cobain influenced by the Pixies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
porkbone1 Posted - 11/18/2004 : 19:38:44
In a recent rare, unreleased interview, Kurt Cobain was quoted as saying his song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was a blatant attempt to rip off the Pixies.

I'm sure this will shock the music world! Tell all your friends, and if you happen to be writing a review of a Pixies show, a story on the reunion tour, or even an article on Pixie-dust, please include this quote.

The joke has come upon me
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
porkbone1 Posted - 03/13/2005 : 16:57:06
I never thought this thread would turn serious. I just meant it as a joke!

"We were just playing around! It doesn't have anything to do with anything!"

The joke has come upon me

http://plasticporkbone.typepad.com
Daisy Girl Posted - 01/14/2005 : 20:33:25
FBC, I don't think that we're Kurt bashing, by no means. It's more that we're basing the media shorthand or formula or whatever when they refrence the fact that Nirvana would have never existed if it weren't for the Pixies. :) IT's lazy journalism-- read this article-- rip this fact of and put it in your articlcle. God forbid some of these guys would ask an original question. And those that do, we recongize and thank your efforts!!!

I really like Nirvana-- Not anywhere as close to the Pixies. But I really dig them as I do the FOo Fighters. I would say Bleach would would be in my top 10 or 20 or so of Fave albs as would Nevermind. WHo cares if Kurt ripped some off the Pixies? That's the way music works... everyone is influencing everyone and sometimes its subconcious.

But I did think that it was cute that Kurt got nervious and jetted instead of meeting FB. That's a real cute story. Too bad he's not around to tell his side anymore.
frank black conspiracy Posted - 01/13/2005 : 05:17:09
Yeah, the Albini link is all because of the sound he got on SR.
I don't really think In Utero came close though.

It's a fun read FILLshow, the whole Nirvana thing. I believe Kurt knew his band were never going to be as good as the Ps, he was just a fan of Black Francis and his music. A big fan. that's why I don't like all the Kurt bashing sometimes. When all it revolves around is his liking of OUR band. Knock his music for sure, but it's easy to keep bringing up the Teen Spirit reference as evidence the Ps are better than Nirvana. We all know this is true, Kurt did too.
The music industry is bad, knows nothing and can't see the writing on the wall.
Be harsh to them, not Kurt Cobain. it's not his fault his band got put up on an international pedestal instead of the rightful.
And in my opinion, the Pixies wouldn't be as mystical and amazing to me if they had been as successful as others.

Sorry. Rant over.
Avid-Fan Posted - 01/12/2005 : 16:29:33
I have seen copies of notes written by KC where he has Surfer Rosa marked as No.1 on his fabricated album chart where he lists his fave records, of the time. I assume that's a contributing reason why Nirvana got Albini to produce In Utero I would imagine, as well as being a general fan of Pixies musical style..

(( I talk plain talk ))
theFILLshow Posted - 01/11/2005 : 19:39:27
quote:
Originally posted by frank black conspiracy

So you do know who he is?

Oh, and don't forget, kurt copied Frank by playing guitar.

And he copied Frank by writing lyrics. But really, I didn't know about that last bit you said with Ken meeting up with Kurt. Good find.

_____
http://ww.hotncold.vzz.com
I'm a man of, constant sorrow..
frank black conspiracy Posted - 01/07/2005 : 13:42:10
It's cool. I had the book at hand. Lucky find.

I think I'd freeze at seeing the Man in person too. Awe-inspiring.
mosleyk Posted - 01/07/2005 : 13:04:24
Awesome! Thanks for the info on this topic! And page number
frank black conspiracy Posted - 01/07/2005 : 12:27:07
There's a story about Kurt going to see the Pixies in London.
The next day he called Ken Goes and asked if he would manage Nirvana.
Ken didn't really know kurt, but agreed to meet up.
When they met in a hotel lobby, Ken found Kurt more interested in talking about the Pixies than Nirvana.

Goes recalls [quote] "he wasn't so much a fan; he was a student of the band."

While chatting, a commotion ensued when Charles walked in the hotel.
Ken offered to introduce Kurt to FB but apparantly he froze at the suggestion, saying he couldn't.
Star struck you call it. He then left the hotel.

page 161

I think the whole Teen Spirit trying to rip off Pixies thing has been blown out of all proportion. I believe Kurt mentioned it once or twice, then whenever the Pixies are mentioned in the same breath as Nirvana, this is always the quote that's dragged up.
It's still a compliment.
Skatealex1 Posted - 01/07/2005 : 09:24:35
lol I dont have the page # sorry. I read it like 2 or 3 years ago when i used to be into nirvana

The Truth Is Out There
mosleyk Posted - 01/07/2005 : 07:38:50
quote:
Originally posted by Skatealex1

actually i think in heavier than heaven the author mentions that kurt cobain missed his chance to meet his idol frank black :)

Hey thanks....I will have to find that entry tonight and take a look at it. I don't suppose you have the page number or chapter it is in?...you know in the spirit of saving time on a Friday night

Skatealex1 Posted - 01/06/2005 : 21:17:58
actually i think in heavier than heaven the author mentions that kurt cobain missed his chance to meet his idol frank black :)

The Truth Is Out There
Daisy Girl Posted - 01/06/2005 : 20:53:39
Mosleyk, welcome to FBF! Wow that is really cool. All that is new to me! The journal thing definately puts an interesting spin on things!
mosleyk Posted - 01/06/2005 : 12:31:30
I am one of those 30 somethings that happened to be a Pixies fan before I became a Nirvana fan. One thing I find interesting about all of this is that I have read the "Heavier than Heaven" biography which has journal notes included and have read "Diary of a sane man" which is a collection of entries from his actual journals and you know....I don't recall one Pixies reference. He mentioned alot of people and bands but I don't recall Pixies getting one line of text. It has been awhile since I read them both, and I even paged through them the other night and couldn't find anything. I have to say that honestly....I think Kurt knew good music and one would have to struggle not to put The Pixies in that category...but I think that comment came from the countless contradictions he would come up with on the spot when asked questions about his music.

frank black conspiracy Posted - 01/05/2005 : 03:47:42
So you do know who he is?

Oh, and don't forget, kurt copied Frank by playing guitar.
theFILLshow Posted - 01/04/2005 : 17:54:24
quote:
Originally posted by rita

Kurt Cobain, Nirvana? Who's that Kurt Cobain???

i've never done good things
i've never done bad things
i never did anything out of the blue

I don't know who he is either, but all I know is he tried copying Frank by wearing plaid all the time.

_____
http://ww.hotncold.vzz.com
I'm a man of, constant sorrow..
n/a Posted - 01/03/2005 : 04:46:45
Kurt Cobain, Nirvana? Who's that Kurt Cobain???

i've never done good things
i've never done bad things
i never did anything out of the blue

frank black conspiracy Posted - 01/02/2005 : 05:28:59
You won't be dead for a while yet Lucas.

I loved Nirvana and Kurt Cobain for what they gave me at the time, and for nostalgic reasons I look back now and again and smile, but rarely listen to their noise.

I think it's still a real shame frank gets over looked by so many and Kurt's on this pedestal. But they're the uninformed or just plain stupid. That doen't shame me. Like Frank said:

"My records are unsuccessful because peoples' tastes are lame"
Mad Lucas Posted - 01/02/2005 : 04:15:04
Thats what began to annoy me with Nirvana. Loud Riff, suddenly soft, soft verses, loud chorus, loud riff, soft chords, soft verses, loud chorus, some kind of solo, loud chorus, loud chords, weird breakdown ala end of Ive Been Tired. It gets boring. Id die the day I find a Nirvana song in the Rock complexity of even Hey.

The Organic Anti-Beat Box Boy
frank black conspiracy Posted - 12/31/2004 : 10:50:27
I hold my hand up and say I know the chords to every nirvana song like i do frank and the Pixies.
But the more deeper I fall into the world of FB, the more obvious it gets who was/is the more talented.

Kurts songs were standard rock and roll (well, alt. rock), while Frank has these weird and wonderful chord progressions, riffs and lyrics. Kurt said he was bored with the verse chorus verse, but still wrote songs in this style. Don't think he knew much better or had the capacity to change. Bang!

Frank on the other hand, well, I don't need to tell you. You already know.
Skatealex1 Posted - 12/31/2004 : 09:31:33
Kurt and Kim singing would be wild. Im not a nirvana fan at all but i think thatd be crazy cool

The Truth Is Out There
frank black conspiracy Posted - 12/31/2004 : 04:24:29
Kurt did good.

And don't forget, Kim seemed to love and appreciate him.

i heard she wanted him to sing on Do You Love Me Now?, but it ended up being the dude from Dinosaur Jr.
MismatchedSasquach Posted - 12/30/2004 : 16:10:46
Whether you like Cobain & Nirvana or not, I think that there are probably twice as many Pixies fans that first discovered the band because they heard Kurt mumble a few words about them and decided to check them out than there are people that discovered them 1n 1987... And whether the old time hardcores like the newbie fans or not, I don't think there are enough of us out there in the 30-and-older back-in-the-day set to buy enough pixies tickets to have made a reunion tour the cash cow that it was. So I tip my cap to Kurt for playing a significant role in bringing belated and deserved attention and cash to my favorite band (other than the Catholics). The coolest think about Kurt Cobain to me was his use of his celebrity to name-drop great underappreciated bands to give them some exposure. I'll admit it, Kurt turned me on to the Meat Puppets. Even cooler, he almost single-handedly killed off hair metal.
Bathsheeba Posted - 12/14/2004 : 10:58:28
The whole Nevermind album seemed like it was trying to be doolittle for a fresh decade. It even had the monkey! The monkey!

I'm All For Good Will. I'll Just Wait for someone else to start.
frank black conspiracy Posted - 12/14/2004 : 05:11:35
quote:
Originally posted by kerosene25

oh please

If Jesus Christ came back today and saw what was being done in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.

Jesus who?

You gonna tell me next Santa's real too.
kerosene25 Posted - 12/13/2004 : 23:37:10
oh please

If Jesus Christ came back today and saw what was being done in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.
frank black conspiracy Posted - 11/29/2004 : 17:05:27
quote:
Originally posted by porkbone1

In a recent rare, unreleased interview, Kurt Cobain was quoted as saying his song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was a blatant attempt to rip off the Pixies.

The only thing I can think of in Teen Spirit is the chords and the hum along four note melody sounds pretty similar to the four Black plays along to "I am un...Chien!" in Debaser

But music journos and all that, don't ya let it get to you. It was a compliment.
It sucks (a little, not the end of the world) that not a Pixies article comes without a Nirvana reference. It happened. In the eyes of the world, the "uninformed", Nirvana are bigger than the Pixies.
But we know better, don't we? Thank fuck you were saved Neo.

Kurt probably said it was an attempt to rip off the Pixies, why not, they rocked.
Skatealex1 Posted - 11/29/2004 : 16:56:22
quote:
Originally posted by whoreatthedoor

quote:

wow i wish i knew this earlier so i couldve been listening to the pixies back in the cool nirvana days

The Truth Is Out There

Fortunatelly I didn't know it! I didn't like Nirvana back in the day. I still don't like them so much.

Caminar sobre las hojas del otoño es romántico y resbaladizo

I dont like nirvana eather i guess in my post i shouldve wrote (SARCASTIC)

The Truth Is Out There
cameronw01 Posted - 11/29/2004 : 15:24:30
Who is Nirvana?
whoreatthedoor Posted - 11/23/2004 : 05:04:55
quote:

wow i wish i knew this earlier so i couldve been listening to the pixies back in the cool nirvana days

The Truth Is Out There

Fortunatelly I didn't know it! I didn't like Nirvana back in the day. I still don't like them so much.

Caminar sobre las hojas del otoño es romántico y resbaladizo
PixieSteve Posted - 11/22/2004 : 12:52:23
News Flash! Pixies fans annoyed by Kurt Cobain and Nirvana references. Any fans who are responding to an article on the Pixies which contains such references, please post how annoying and cliched they are.
Daisy Girl Posted - 11/20/2004 : 23:01:09
Well Twist, it would be a hard choice... if forced to choose between the Pixies and chocolate... I choose Pixies

http://www.campervanbeethoven.com/gearstolen/
Strothman Posted - 11/20/2004 : 14:30:14
:)
twist Posted - 11/19/2004 : 23:41:48
Yesterday's offhand comment = Today's hype. Territorial Pissing sounds more Pixish than Teen Spirit. Kurt may have been refering to Pixies confections by Fannie May Chocolates (shows up on my google pixies alert) which would necessitate a rethinking of Frank Black's reason for existance.
Daisy Girl Posted - 11/19/2004 : 19:08:52
You're not a moron. We're being a little sarcastic and writing isn't always the easiest way to convey it.

http://www.campervanbeethoven.com/gearstolen/
Strothman Posted - 11/19/2004 : 15:04:47
I thought that was well known. I'm a moron though so who knows.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000