-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 franz vs pixies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
charlesthompson Posted - 09/06/2004 : 11:05:30
no doubt you all know the band franz ferdinand

well, i bought the cd ("frans ferdinand") and ive been listening to it for alot....and i've decided they are like the pixies...not just in instrumation and sound (not to obvious) but in image aswell...

im not going to add why i think they are similar, i'll wait for your suggestions first and see if i think the same.....

35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 09/27/2004 : 15:17:43
Sexi Pi, I remember that somebody on here once posted that they thought Apologies To Insect Life was just like it had come off Surfer Rosa, and I agreed with them 'cos I had thought that since I heard it. That was a long time ago now, funny you should say exactly the same thing. Just goes to show how much it does sound like them during that period though.

Incidently, they were amazing at Reading Festival this year (the best band along with 80's Matchbox B-Line Disaster). I am going to see them livein Manchester soon too, can't wait.

Help me! He keeps making me post!

Sexi Pi Posted - 09/21/2004 : 09:00:39
I would say if any band today sounds closest to the Pixies it's British Sea Power (who I absolutely adore). This forum is actually where I found out about the actually.

Listen to the song "Apologies to Insect Life", it could fit right on Surfer Rosa. Of course don't jump so quick to say they are a rip off, cause other songs like "Carrion" and "Remember Me" are nothing like it, but unbelieveable just the same.

http://www.britishseapower.co.uk

check em out and lemme know what you think.

btw- i'm not like a promoter or anything, but I want them to be popular here so they can come back and play again. I missed them at T T the Bear's by 2 friggin' days last year! :)
floop Posted - 09/20/2004 : 14:54:27
i was just giving you context

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Cheeseman1000 Posted - 09/20/2004 : 14:39:10
Its always about the food with you, isn't it?

Good man.

So, I finally got my X-Wing
floop Posted - 09/20/2004 : 14:24:15
they were playing the Franz Ferdinand album at this place i had breakfast on Sunday.

once again, i found the album to be bland and unnotable. unlike my breakfast.

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
the tolerant Posted - 09/20/2004 : 14:04:35
quote:
Originally posted by charlesthompson

will you stop jump down my back and saying i suck for comparing two bands i like...i think inside the music they sound similar but if you dont agree with me fine...either say it in a nice way or dont bother posting..

well said!

but i must agree with the Punk, sorry, the sad Punk, Pixies are Pixies. I did have my doubts a while back there, but they've now been blown away.
charlesthompson Posted - 09/20/2004 : 10:51:34
will you stop jump down my back and saying i suck for comparing two bands i like...i think inside the music they sound similar but if you dont agree with me fine...either say it in a nice way or dont bother posting..
The Sad Punk Posted - 09/17/2004 : 10:52:48
What? Wake up! Pixies are Pixies! and... uh? whats the name of the other band you WERE talking about?

The Sad Punk

I smell smoke that comes from a 12 gauge PUMP shotgun named extintion.
the tolerant Posted - 09/17/2004 : 02:27:39
no doubt there next release will be on the sme lines as their last. the Beatles they are not.

and Radioheads Pablo Honey was pretty damn cool. i'd rather listen to "anyone can play guitar" than "Michael".
rhinedly Posted - 09/16/2004 : 17:06:52
as good as the pixies? HAH - let them release a couple earthshattering albums and then I'll consider that one..

right now they're in their infancy.

but their first album is incredibly strong. people making fun of it...are stupid.

take me out, michael, auf achse, shopping for blood, come on home, this fire, darts of pleasure, and 40' are all superbly written, enjoyable, catchy, fun songs.

jacqueline, dark of the matinee, and cheating on you are all really good.

i saw them in concert. they're fun, they rock, the play for love.

maybe you guys are offended because their being compared to the pixies? jesus, you can't compare every new hip band to the pixies. i mean seriously, i can't think of anything the pixies and franz have in common to base starting a topic comparing the two of them on. i think the only reason this topic has gotten so large is so people can argue about the velvet underground and speak portugese.

i'm wicked excited for franz's new cd. i don't know if they're gonna try to change their sound or just go with more of the same - either way i bet it'll be good.

and another thing - no one can be that negatively judgemental of a band after only their first cd has been released. if everyone did that what would people have to say about radiohead. or wilco. or my bloody valentine. in summary stfu ff rox
cassandra is Posted - 09/16/2004 : 16:10:29
well... i wouldn't say that

pas de bras pas de chocolat
n/a Posted - 09/16/2004 : 15:41:50
and the dude has fabulous hair

the room smelled like cupids gym
the tolerant Posted - 09/16/2004 : 05:30:27
when i've seen them interviewed, they seem pretty genuine guys, and in it for the love. they dont hype themselves and twist no ones arm, and i must admit when i first heard take me out i though damn good shit! think it was the beginning of the song and then when it kicks in to the riff....go scotland. but its just other songs that let me down a little but they're not here to please me so good luck to 'em. there seems to be varied opinion on them here.

Ziggy Posted - 09/16/2004 : 05:20:53
They write good songs, I think.

I'm sceptical of bands who really go for that 'retro' sound, like pretty much anything new the NME praises. But FF don't seem to be using that as their selling point, which is cool.
charlesthompson Posted - 09/15/2004 : 12:00:23
well....no one seems to agree with me :(

oh well...i still think the shirt thing is similar (but i agree that they are more poser-ish)
and the lead in micheal definately reminds me of joeys work..
MrSelfDestruct Posted - 09/14/2004 : 14:52:10
FF are a good band...just arent as unique and ground breaking as the pixies are. now the band that was opening for them in europe "The Fiery Furnaces". That band is amazing and some very unique music. their new album is awesome. but i dont think FF sound like the pixies really.
an erotic vulture Posted - 09/14/2004 : 14:37:11
I dont know about FF, they seem an okay band, but nothing about them really stands out to me :s But i do agree with pudmeister in the sense that the have only done so well because they are a bit different.

I reserve judgement.

(stage direction: suspenseful point)
n/a Posted - 09/14/2004 : 14:11:23
remind me of pulp and the divine comedy, I'm not expaniding on that, effort

the room smelled like cupids gym
pudmeister Posted - 09/14/2004 : 13:17:20
Bollocks! frans ferdi suck ass, saw them live, nothing cool about it. Not much substance behind the songs, just popular cos its a bit different and cos theyre est. in the UK and the UK press plug way too much and trick you into thinking crappy bands are good.

"Looking through the eye of a pig I see it all" - Cypress Hill
cassandra is Posted - 09/14/2004 : 10:14:34
os meus pais viviam ao lado de Guarda - Marialva e Coriscada - mas emigraram no fim dos anos 60
agora vivemos ao lado de Toulouse -Cahors.

Surfer Rosa Posted - 09/14/2004 : 10:13:49
Loved the album when it first came out but now am thoroughly bored with it. I think Radio One and media hype killed them for me. They're good and the album is probably one of the better ones of this year - however they're not in even the same league as my beloved Pixies.
n/a Posted - 09/14/2004 : 09:36:15
Vivo próximo do Porto, Penafiel. E a tua família de onde é?

Sorry the others for this strange language! But it´s very good to meet other people that talk portuguese in this forum!
cassandra is Posted - 09/14/2004 : 04:39:59
um pouco, os meus pais são portugueses, então é a minha segunda língua materna... onde é que vives em Portugal?

n/a Posted - 09/14/2004 : 04:21:36
Olá Cassandra! Falas português? É tão difícil encontrar alguem a falar português no forum...
cassandra is Posted - 09/14/2004 : 01:28:18
EXACTLY! sou totalmente de acordo com ti, Pixies são mais melhor, e para ainda muito tempo!
n/a Posted - 09/14/2004 : 00:52:00
I totally agree Cassandra. I like FF and I´ve listen a lot their album this summer but I wouldn´t compare them to the Pixies. Not in any way!
For me the Pixies are so unique that I can´t choose a band that could have something in common with them. They really don´t care with image, because there are some that pretend they don´t care...and their attitude on stage it´s another thing that it´s different from the others...
I guess that´s why we like them so much!!!
cassandra is Posted - 09/13/2004 : 23:35:09
I like the F Ferdinand album, I think that it's just a good album, and certainly better than than most of the rock albums that comes out since two or three years, but do not think they're like the Pixies!

The Pixies don't have any image, they just don't care of these things! Look at Kim or Frank on the last tour!

Franz are very fashionable, they look like a mix between 60's bands like the Beatles or the Zombies (for the haircut and the way they play on stage) and 80's bands like Talking Heads.
Goody Posted - 09/11/2004 : 02:26:39
Franz Ferdinand are a decent band. Tell her Tonight sounds like an evil hybrid of Low era Bowie and Electric Six!

----------------------
Another piece of Teenage Wildlife
Kim Deal Scares Me
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 09/10/2004 : 08:30:39
There's a bit of live Franz over at CBC Radio 3:

http://www.cbcradio3.com/issues/2004_09_10/index.cfm

Once you enter the issue.

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"
PsychicTwin Posted - 09/10/2004 : 06:40:55
they are quite overrated, though not half-bad.
their sound is very Talking Heads-ish
I could see the Pixies similarity, but it is very fleeting
the tolerant Posted - 09/10/2004 : 03:01:33
not much of an FF fan, especially when i heard their single and the use of the word matinee (sorry if i spell wrong). think i count it at the end of every sentence in the chorus. genius boys! the press and celebs(?) over here just couldnt get enough of them. to me its just another band Radio 1 adopts then the rest of the country follows in over hypin. but i cant blame them for ridin the wave. more power to them. image: pixies? me thinks more of a Scottish Hives. but hey, my opinion is just that, sorry if i offended any Franz fans. For fucks sake...i like the Beatles! shoot me down with your quotes!
George42 Posted - 09/09/2004 : 17:21:28
i don't really hear the pixies in FF either. but i do like FF.

I'm a humble guy with healthy desire
bumblebeeboy2 Posted - 09/07/2004 : 14:17:18
odd, as i'd say they sound like strokes and interpol, really can't see any pixies relation, apart from the guitar thing, which basically most 'indie-rock' bands have done ever since the 90's...

And it's hard to be a human being, and it's harder as anything else, and I'm lonesome when you're around, and I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself, and I miss you when you're around.
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 09/07/2004 : 12:42:32
Yeah it's just a little of the guitar work that reminds me of the Pixies, nothing else. In no way do they remind me of Interpol, The Strokes or The Dandy Warhols though.

And yeah, I am bored of them now. Can't wait for Interpol's new album though.

Live every day as if it were your last. Eventually you'll be right

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 09/07/2004 : 12:32:10
There's some lead guitar work that reminds me of Joey, other than that, no...

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000