-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Skeleton Men Anonymous

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ProverbialCereal Posted - 07/11/2004 : 19:19:14
I know this topic has come up before. Alot of people hate this song (Skeleton Man). I was one of them... until tonight.

I recently bought a new car CD player which also plays MP3 CDs. I threw all 9 of FB's studio albums on a CD, as well as most of SSMVGD, Oddballs, and a few other b-sides. Well, my car is 10 times cooler because of this massive FB catalogue on one CD.

It was on random play and Skeleton Man came on. I started singing it really loud and getting into it. I think this song is alot better out of context - divorced from Pistolero, if you will. Maybe it has a bad reputation because of where it is on Pistolero. I dunno...

I like "Skeleton Man." I like "Skeleton Man." I LIKE SKELETON MAN!

(or maybe it just seemed really freaking cool because "Dance War" was the track just before it.... also another un-favorite as far as I can tell..)

Just quit a cult / going through withdrawal
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BLT Posted - 07/12/2004 : 12:10:25
Maybe more people would like Dance War if the lyrics weren't so damned silly.
VoVat Posted - 07/12/2004 : 09:14:48
Yeah, I don't think "Dance War" is as bad as all that. I'd say it's one of the weaker tracks on Cult of Ray, but it's not totally BAD. It has an infectious energy to it.

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Jose Jones Posted - 07/12/2004 : 09:04:35
i really don't understand all the Dance War bashing. it's not great, but it definitely rocks.

skeleton man was one of the first FB songs i ever heard. i loved it, then bought his entire catologue shortly after (he was just about to release DITS).

-dan
billgoodman Posted - 07/12/2004 : 08:52:17
Skeleton Man or no Skeleton Man

Dance War sucks

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Erebus Posted - 07/12/2004 : 08:47:33
For me this song was a fave from first listen. I recall that vividly (which amazes me) and also remember making a point of cuing it with a couple others when I first debuted Pistolero for my main music buddy. Other faves there are Western Star, I Love Your Brain, I Want Rock & Roll, and especially 85 Weeks.
VoVat Posted - 07/12/2004 : 07:51:04
"Skeleton Man" is really cool. I like the sound and the somewhat esoteric lyrics. Besides, a skeleton is a good topic for a song.

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Little Black Francis Posted - 07/12/2004 : 06:48:14
By the way Derek, thanks for the tab of this song you speak of, Skeleton man.... good work

peace
love
weed

lbf

suce ma bite enculé de ta merehehehahhahehehaha
begeegs Posted - 07/12/2004 : 06:02:32
I have always liked Skeleton Man because of the groove element, which isn't so apparent in his other tracks on Pistolero (imho - the best Catholics album). I couldn't understand any bashing of this track...
Devils Islander Posted - 07/12/2004 : 05:41:20
I agree with Cult & Don, 'Skeleton Man' is a hell of a lot better live than on CD. Some songs are just like that. I always felt that 'Vamos' got more kudos than it deserved, until I saw Pixies end their set with it at Brixton Academy... Fucking awesome rendition.

...where the Ballyhoos and the Tritons are.
The Holiday Son Posted - 07/12/2004 : 02:20:40
It has always been one of my fave from pistolero.
Don Eduardo Posted - 07/12/2004 : 01:16:28
Great song that also took an age to grow on me - sounds even better live. Best part = the screamed "Thought i heard him say....Hold my haaaaaand"

3rd Annual Australian Frank Black Countdown August 2003 - all involved parties rank EVERY released FB song from FB self/titled to the present - average ranks are calculated - beer (or suitable substitute) is added (mostly in drinking-game form - ie. rate a song well below its average and you drink a punishing amount), then sit back and enjoy a day of frank black....the only problem is quite often memory of the top songs is somewhat limited the next day
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 07/11/2004 : 21:43:09
It totally feels jangly like a true skeletal song must be. Perfect. Plus I love it and it's also great live. Fie on the unbelievers.

"When 5000 posts you reach / Look as good you will not, hmmm?"
TOTIPOTENT Posted - 07/11/2004 : 19:50:13
I dunno Derek, I think no matter how you look at it Skeleton Man is good. True, I did not say great. Reasoning: it is too short - he left something out (but I think on purpose). He starts telling a story (in a way) then leaves it in mystery; which in a way is cool but not great. His voice and rhythm is still top notch.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Is there still a Cult of Frank"
broken part Posted - 07/11/2004 : 19:38:19
skeleton man was always freakin' cool boy! Don't listen to the unbelievers.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000