-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 What exactly is the new bolero in Westren Star

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Daisy Girl Posted - 11/07/2005 : 20:09:01
Can anyone set me straight?

Ok I was reading this article in Wired that to make a long story short made a refrence to Bolero by Ravel.

I always thought it was a Spanish dance.

I went to Wikipedia and well... here's what I got...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolero

so which one is it?? Thank you!!!
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gelmar Posted - 12/11/2005 : 04:03:51
The bolero is a Spanish dance in triple time.It appeared in Andalusia and Castille in the 16.century.Its rithm inspired many composers,among them Ravel.He composed the most popular piece,the Bolero for the Russian dance Ida Rubinstein(who I adore,and I know everithing about her life) in 1928.I adore the Bolero.I listen to it almost every day.I like Ravel's other pieces too.He is my favourite composer.If you like Ida Rubinstein or Ravel,or just his Bolero comment something.If you dont like classical music ,say what are you listening
ccuadros Posted - 11/16/2005 : 19:00:20
Bolero it's a latin style of romantic music, one of the best performers is Armando Manzanero and there are new performers like Luis Miguel (Mexican) that they revitalize the style and growing with new fans.

I think that FB refers this style of music, he could have knowledges of it because he lived in Puerto Rico.

Eso seria

Salu2

Christian
JustJeff Posted - 11/16/2005 : 18:18:54
Well, I guess nothin's got nothin' on FRANK.
But, my lady and I made love to Bolero once.
And Frank's got nothin' on that!
Daisy Girl Posted - 11/14/2005 : 19:36:34
My guess is it ain't got nothing on Frank.
JustJeff Posted - 11/14/2005 : 07:14:01
"Good point. I am going to have to check out Bolero just so I can form a better opinion on the whole thing. ;)"

Let us know if you danced to it.
Daisy Girl Posted - 11/13/2005 : 11:53:57
quote:
Originally posted by JustJeff

I wonder if we could draw a similarity of
how people in the classical world view Ravel's Bolero
to how people in the "rock" world would view Western Star.
I know some people who think Frank is hokey or quirky and
love to listen to Nickleback or what have you.
I mean, Bolero is fun, Western Star is fun.

You say potato, I say tomato.

Good point. I am going to have to check out Bolero just so I can form a better opinion on the whole thing. ;)
Carl Posted - 11/11/2005 : 15:58:52
I think I thought the bolero was a dance, but of course he sings 'dancing to the new bolero', not 'dancing the new bolero.' I think I've heard of Ravel's Bolero, actually.
JustJeff Posted - 11/11/2005 : 06:24:22
I wonder if we could draw a similarity of
how people in the classical world view Ravel's Bolero
to how people in the "rock" world would view Western Star.
I know some people who think Frank is hokey or quirky and
love to listen to Nickleback or what have you.
I mean, Bolero is fun, Western Star is fun.

You say potato, I say tomato.
Daisy Girl Posted - 11/10/2005 : 20:27:15
quote:
Originally posted by dayanara

quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

I forgot to include in that post that Bolero by Ravel is supposedly considered by many to be the best classical piece composed.

calling bolero "the best classical piece composed" is like calling canned spaghetti gourmet dining. plenty of people who are well versed in classical music consider bolero to be a mildly cute but hokey and repetitive piece of nonsense, a turn of the century equivalent of a britney spears song. even ravel himself disowned it, describing it as a throwaway to make a quick buck and "a piece for orchestra without music." not long after it's premiere a writer for the Musical Mercury called it "the most insolent monstrosity ever perpetuated in the history of music...it is the blatant recurrence of an overwhelmingly vulgar cabaret tune that is little removed from the wail of an obstreperous back-alley cat." he's not wrong.

i am sitting here observing my emotional discomfort.

Actually I got that info from wired. Don't think I have heard Ravel's Bolero. It was just a cool article about a basically deaf guy that said that was the only music he could hear and that he loved it and that he later read it was one of the best classical pieces. I am partial to Bach myself.

Any whoo any refrence that triggers a thought about Frank's music is cool in my book!
tt Posted - 11/10/2005 : 18:16:40
When I hear Bolero, I instantly think of Bo Derek in the movie "10"

VoVat Posted - 11/09/2005 : 06:04:56
I like "Bolero," but not canned spaghetti.

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Little Black Francis Posted - 11/08/2005 : 19:49:33
Hey, I like canned spaghetti.

... Tell your mom to save me a plate.
dayanara Posted - 11/08/2005 : 19:42:48
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

I forgot to include in that post that Bolero by Ravel is supposedly considered by many to be the best classical piece composed.

calling bolero "the best classical piece composed" is like calling canned spaghetti gourmet dining. plenty of people who are well versed in classical music consider bolero to be a mildly cute but hokey and repetitive piece of nonsense, a turn of the century equivalent of a britney spears song. even ravel himself disowned it, describing it as a throwaway to make a quick buck and "a piece for orchestra without music." not long after it's premiere a writer for the Musical Mercury called it "the most insolent monstrosity ever perpetuated in the history of music...it is the blatant recurrence of an overwhelmingly vulgar cabaret tune that is little removed from the wail of an obstreperous back-alley cat." he's not wrong.

i am sitting here observing my emotional discomfort.
Daisy Girl Posted - 11/08/2005 : 19:22:49
Thanks you guys rock!!! I agree that I bet that it has to do with a dance. I forgot to include in that post that Bolero by Ravel is supposedly considered by many to be the best classical piece composed.

Who knows with Frank and how inteligent he is it might even mean both... :)
BrendanT Posted - 11/08/2005 : 15:16:37
A stab in the dark.

Famous Cuban musician Paquito D'Rivera once suggested that the modern Latin-American bolero was "a ballad with a little black beans on the side", perhaps in jest, but suggesting the influence of the more energetic rhythms on the lyricism of the Latin-American bolero.

Seeing as Frank usually includes the word or name 'black' on each album, I think it was a subtle reference to it again.

I believe the song is about the Western Star truck/rig that you might notice on America's Interstates (or as we call them in Canada - highways and our friends on the other side of the pond - Motorways) and while you drive them you bounce around in the comfy, spring loaded seats and therefore might fancy yourself dancing to the new Bolero. Maybe he dreams of driving through South/Central America and giving it even more relevence?

Countercultivating Midnights
This world's a fuckin' stripmall!
kathryn Posted - 11/07/2005 : 22:02:00
Given the context (the lyrics) and the author (Fraaaaaaaank) I've always thought he meant the dance.

When we walked through Little Italy I saw my reflection come right off your face
I paint pictures to remember, you're too beautiful to put into words

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000