-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Song-by-song review of Honeycomb

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
VoVat Posted - 07/22/2005 : 18:31:38
If there's already a thread for this kind of thing, feel free to lock this and point me there. I haven't seen one, and I can't be the only one who's interested in doing this.

This is a somewhat shortened review of what I posted in my journal. I've edited out some of the stuff that everyone here probably already knows.

1. Selkie Bride--Pretty cool way to open the album. A selkie is a seal-woman who will marry a man who steals her seal coat. This is a Scottish or Irish legend, but I believe there are similar myths in other parts of the world. I know I remember reading something about seagull girls who act in a similar matter. I think the reference in and of itself makes the song cool, but it's pretty good anyway, even if it ends a little too abruptly.

2. I Burn Today--I think this might be the first single from the album (as if anyone gives a crap about singles these days, except maybe from Top 40 artists), and it deserves it. Very catchy, and I like the bells in the background. There's sort of a similar sound to "Preacher's Daughter," a Show Me Your Tears outtake that I also like a lot. Best lyric on this one: "Hold my heartstrings and have yourself a strum."

3. Lone Child--Eh, it's okay. This one doesn't really grab me, although the music is pretty good.

4. Another Velvet Nightmare--Good opening line to this song: "Today I felt my heart slide into my belly, so I puked it up with liquor." This sounds like it could have fit pretty well on Show Me Your Tears, coming across musically as sort of a mix of "Manitoba" and "New House Of The Pope." For what it's worth, I like it better than "Pope," but not as much as "Manitoba." I like the instrumental ending.

5. Dark End Of The Street--A decent little slow song. Not one of my favorites, but I do like Frank's vocal on it. I think it has the potential to grow on me.

6. Go Find Your Saint--The shortest song on the album. I like it, but I can't think of anything specific to say about it.

7. Song Of The Shrimp--Like Frank, I've never heard the Elvis version. Frank seems to like this song a lot. In November 2002, I saw him play both an in-store and a full-fledged concert with the Catholics, and he did this song at both. I don't really have a strong reaction to this one, but it's pretty good.

8. Strange Goodbye--The song is all right, but I can see why Jean never sang on any of his earlier songs. She's not that great at it. She seems to be going for a country voice, but I don't think she really achieves it.

9. Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day--Another cover song where I've never heard the original. I had, however, heard a few earlier versions of Frank playing it. I don't know that this official version is the best (I seem to remember the others as sounding a bit more enthusiastic), but it's good, with an extended ending. The song is quite cheerful and fun, and I like it a lot. It's probably my second favorite on the album, after "I Burn Today."

10. Honeycomb--It's a sad sort of song, and both the vocals and music are very good.

11. My Life Is In Storage--The longest song on the album, and possibly the one with the best title (although it's a bit of a toss-up with "Another Velvet Nightmare"). I like the shift in the music around the two-minute mark, but the instrumental ending isn't as good as the one on "Nightmare."

12. Atom In My Heart--There's kind of a country vibe to the music, which is cool. My general feeling toward the song is positive, but I can't really think of anything to say about it.

13. Violet--I guess this is a personal song for Frank, and it might be his most straightforward love song. I don't think it's that great, but it's not bad either.

14. Sing For Joy--It doesn't sound as joyful as the title would imply. It sounds like "Sing For Resignation" would be more appropriate. (Um, that's "resignation" in the sense of being resigned to something, not in the sense of quitting.) It's a little long, and maybe not the best way to end the whole thing, but it's okay.

Keep in mind that a lot of Frank's songs take some time to grow on me, so don't be too surprised if, a few months or so from now, I'm saying, "Hey, [Honeycomb track I don't like that much now] is an amazingly cool song!" Actually, though, I'm kind of surprised at how much I liked so many of these songs on my first listen. (The reviews are based on my second listen to each song, for what it's worth.) It's probably Frank's most instantly likeable album since Dog in the Sand.

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fazereyes Posted - 07/25/2005 : 07:26:45
Has anyone noticed you can sing the Simply Red song "if you don't know me by now" to the second half of My Life in Storage? Try it out--it's almost as fun as the Wizard of Oz/Pink Floyd connection.
Carl Posted - 07/24/2005 : 09:19:03
I'm 29, but I've always been moved by 'emotional' music! I hav'nt heard Honeycomb yet (at least, I hav'nt bought and listened to the album!), but I'll post a review on Amazon when I have. Also, I may consider buying it as a present for friends, budget allowing!! And please don't stop posting here, Jon-how cool is it to have Honeycomb's producer posting, and besides that you seem like a really nice man! :)
The Marsist Posted - 07/24/2005 : 07:40:03
im 17.and altough i did go through that rebelous phase when is about 11/12 i grew out of it very quickly with a "whats-the-fucking-point" attitude but i have been an avid frankophile for nigh on 3 years now and atually played smyt for my mother who wasnt to keen on it but she said it could be worse i could be listening to "all sorts of other shite".

"To be known as an underdog - that can only be a good thing. It's better than sucking."
- Frank Black

OldManInaCoffeeCan Posted - 07/24/2005 : 07:07:47
Here's my Amazon.com review

5 out of 5 stars Best of the Best, July 24, 2005

Reviewer: Ricardo (Guitar Town) - See all my reviews
"The Man" is a songwriting genius and he's backed by an All-Star Band, it doesn't get any better than this. Steve Cropper's guitar (bluesy and blistering), Spooner Oldham's keyboards (hypnotic), David Hood's bass (smooth), and Frank Black's mature, controlled, large, and perfectly pitched vocals come tøgether in an extraordinary way. Right now, I'm most enjoying these tracks: "I Burn Today", "Lone Child", "Another Velvet NightMare", "Song of the Shrimp", "My Life is in Storage", and "Sing for Joy" (which has been stuck in my head since yesterday and I can't quit singing it.)

starmekitten Posted - 07/24/2005 : 05:02:04
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

P.S. There's still only seven reviews up on Amazon. C'mon people, do your typing someplace where it'll help HONEYCOMB!!!!

They take five days to clear, people have been asked in the promote honeycomb thread and I believe there are a few pending, I've written one for amazon.co.uk and am waiting for it to show.

I think typing here helps honeycomb too.

[edit] haha checking amazon.com I see a few forum people there, sterling work guys!

and you're questioning the sciences
and questioning religion
you're looking like an idiot
and you no longer care.

evilive1213 Posted - 07/23/2005 : 23:50:40
I love "My Life In Storage". Just when you think the song is about to break out and run, FB reins it back in and the effect is stunning. I love the change of pace at the end. Nobody can change dynamics in a song like FB. NOBODY. Of course you guys already know that.
frank_black_francis Posted - 07/23/2005 : 15:40:20
Personally, I like to chew on it awhile.
jtanner Posted - 07/23/2005 : 13:30:09
Just some arbitrary, slightly cryptic comments...

Been listening virtually non-stop for days.

If The Pixies were Simon & Garfunkel, this is Frank Black's "There Goes Rhymin' Simon".

1. Selkie Bride - good opener, sets the tone, incredible bass.
2. Burn Today - "...many birds, ...I can understand their words, the land will shake, so run away..."
3. Lone Child - so far so good.
4. Velvet Nightmare - this would have been a good ending. Not sure what I mean by that.
5. Dark End - very Paul Simon w/ The Dixie Hummingbirds circa 1973.
6. Go Find Your Saint - most generic, a throw away track, a track skipper, shelve it.
7. Shrimp - technically, could be best song. Great lyrics, unfortunately not his.
8. Strange Goodbye - goodbye!
9. Sunday Sunny - fun, I guess.
10. Honeycomb - a keeper.
11. Storage - there goes rhymin' Black. Love the fake punt at 1:48, pro drum rolls, superb guitar ending. Is that Buddy Miller? He's god.
12. Atom - sort of a throw away, almost a track skipper.
13. Violet - a track skipper.
14. Sing for Joy - palatable track, not a big fan of the "na na na" beginning, anti climatic ending.

For a live album recorded in 4 days, this is amazing work.

Synopsis: I like it.

kathryn Posted - 07/23/2005 : 13:00:01
Dear Jon

You can't post too much, especially when you share your insider vantage point. That's always appreciated.

Frank's always made music with "a timeless quality to it" - from Surfer Rosa to Show Me Your Tears.

I'm 42. There are plenty of people less than half my age on this board who get Honeycomb. It's not a matter of "maturity" or rebelling against one's parents.

I'm not familiar with everybody who posted on this thread so there may be some "kids" but there are also students in their 20s and parents in their late 30s. One of the youngest people on this board has been a Frankophile since seventh grade and in no way rebels against his folks (though he would happily be led astray by Kim Deal).

I don't know of anybody who uses Frank's music to annoy their parents. Though not a teen yet, my kid adores Frank.

The record speaks for itself - both literally (Honeycomb) and figuratively (Frank's oeuvre).

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Frog in the Sand Posted - 07/23/2005 : 12:57:48
Dear Jon,

1. FB's producer can never post too much

2. you're preaching to the choir here

3. I think you should post this in the "I'm sorry" thread...

Join the Cult of France / And get Honeycomb weeks in advance
OldManInaCoffeeCan Posted - 07/23/2005 : 12:49:28
Hey Sir Jon, wouldn't all of these posts in this thread be the type of review the authors (Vovat, FITS, NimrodsSon) could post at amazon.com with little or no edits! I'll get mine up at amazon.com soon. [So far, mine's short and to the point]

Jontiven Posted - 07/23/2005 : 11:55:48
Dear Frank Black fans,

I hope nobody thinks I'm posting too much but it's HONEYCOMB week so cut me a little slack. Here's my take.

When you're a teenager, you listen to music that your parents can't stand, it's hard wired into your humanity.

As you mature, you seek music that is more in tune to the rhythms of your inner soul, and suddenly records that were made ten, twenty or thirty years ago make sense to you for the first time.

An artist making the music matures as well, and as he/she reaches his thirties or forties finds himself wanting to make music that is less aimed at teens and has more of a timeless quality to it. If you are a substantial songwriter who has content to offer as well as personal style, you may one of the lucky ones who can make this transition without blowing your career.

With HONEYCOMB, Frank Black has proved his greatness has reached several generations.

So if you don't immediately cotton to HONEYCOMB, it's a great gift for your peeps or kids! But you may have to borrow it back in a few years.

bye,
Jon Tiven

P.S. There's still only seven reviews up on Amazon. C'mon people, do your typing someplace where it'll help HONEYCOMB!!!!
starmekitten Posted - 07/23/2005 : 11:35:35
I already did my song by song else where but GFYS is absolutely my favourite and I think closest to his first two 'solo' albums

and you're questioning the sciences
and questioning religion
you're looking like an idiot
and you no longer care.

Suicide_Samurai Posted - 07/23/2005 : 11:28:48
I'll just review a few of the tracks that stand out for me.

2. I Burn Today - This has a little lead riff that, for the first time ever, I was instantly able to know how to play without even picking up my guitar. It's so simple and I miss it when i listen to a solo version of this song that I have. ****

6. Go Find Your Saint - Am I the only one to get a white Noise Maker vibe from this song? Kind of similar vocal style.
Nice intro too, which is always essential for me as I need a slap in the face quite quickly, unfortunately these are few and far between on this album. ***

7. Song Of The Shrimp - Another nice intro. This song was written for Frank. ****

8. I liked this song even when I was ignorant of what it really meant. ***

9. First version I've heard, probably the high point of the album in my opinion. Reminds me of You've got a friend which then reminds me of Toy Story which makes my heart smile. *****
Someone Posted - 07/23/2005 : 10:45:35
Just 2 comments.

1. I prefer the acoustic solo versions of shrimp.

2. Go find your saint is probably my second favorite to Atom. I am surrised no one has been saying good things about it. It is the only song on the album that comes close to rocking. The vocals during the chorus are great.
Frog in the Sand Posted - 07/23/2005 : 08:15:57
Great reviews, guys. I wish I could write like you do, but my English is definitely too poor.

1. Selkie Bride: I totally share Nathan's and Nimrod's opinions :) *****

2. I Burn Today: a great, catchy song, and obviously a perfect (first?) single. *****

3. Lone Child: a grower. I like and admire the King's vocal on it. ***

4. Another Velvet Nightmare: I don't hate it but... well, I don't really like it either, if you see what I mean. Sounds a bit insipid to my ears. Good lyrics though. **

5. Dark End of the Street: subtle, delicate song, great vocal. Not my fave but, as Nimrod says, "I think it has the potential to grow on me". ****

6. Go Find Your Saint: I tend to think it's OK, but to be honest I haven't really paid attention to it so far. I'm afraid my subconscious finds it a bit boring. ***

7. Song of the Shrimp: funny lil' thing. Obviously Frank took pleasure to record it, and his pleasure is mine :) ****

8. Strange Goodbye: lovely, catchy song. Reminds me of 'Coastline', I don't know why, maybe because both are much too short :) ****

9. Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day: No bad but... sorry, I prefer the Catholics version, by far. ***

10. Honeycomb: simply my favorite track. Perfect, in every respect. *****

11. My Life Is In Storage: the first 2 minutes are great... **

12. Atom In My Heart: "This song is an intense rocker (...). The opening guitar riff fits perfectly and the prechorus is quite tasty, leading into the chorus that just rocks!" (Nimrod's Son in FB.net Magazine, July '05 special edition). *****

13. Violet: I think I'd better shut up *

14. Sing for Joy: "It doesn't sound as joyful as the title would imply. It sounds like "Sing For Resignation" would be more appropriate. (...) It's a little long, and maybe not the best way to end the whole thing, but it's okay" (Nathan X., quoted in He Might Be A Giant - An unauthorized biography of VoVat by a fervent French fan). ***

Join the Cult of France / And get Honeycomb weeks in advance
gauth Posted - 07/23/2005 : 06:32:39
I am not going to do a review but I'm telling you, I'm in love with this album. What a gem. It's becoming my all times favorite FB album.
Carl Posted - 07/23/2005 : 06:09:45
Hey, Nimrod, where's Honeycomb?
NimrodsSon Posted - 07/22/2005 : 20:01:01
Wow! This took me a while to write! Here's my full, song-by-song review of Honeycomb.
"Selkie Bride" - A wonderful way to start off the album. The song starts out with a smooth intro, progressing into a smooth folk song. The best way to describe this song is smooth. Everything from the vocals, background vocals, guitar, percussion and piano is just smooth. The song consists of three beautifully crafted sections, each with its own unique personality. The verse is full of vitality, moving into the somber prechorus and a chorus that is drenched in agony. This song is certainly one of the highlights of the album for me.

"I Burn Today" - The next song is a catchy folk tune, which, to be perfectly honest, doesn't do a whole lot for me, but is a good song nonetheless. Quite understandably, it fails to reach the level of "St. Francis Dam Disaster," another song in the same vein as "I Burn Today," but this is irrelevant, since it is practically impossible to top such an a mazing song.

"Lone Child" - The creepy guitar riff is a perfct opening for this chilling western-folk song. This one feels a bit like a train ride, the way it creeps along. The lyrics fit perfectly with the somber mood that the music creates. The wailing background vocal ("Loooooone Child") sends chills up my spine, as does the incredible lead guitar work. This is one of my personal favourites on the album and one of the best songs, musically, that Frank has written in quite a while.

"Another Velvet Nightmare" - This one is a dark ballad, sung in Frank's husky, growling lower register. Much like "Manitoba" from Frank's last release with the Catholics, this one is right on the border of being a bit too low for Frank to ahndle vocally, but he seems to pull it off, perhaps with a bit of straining. This song seems like it will be a grower, but only time will tell. For now, it's a great song but nothing more, and not one of my favourite tracks on the album.

"Dark End of the Street" - Surprisingly enough, Frank manages to pull through on this wonderful soul tune. This song is quite different from anything else Frank has ever attempted, but manages to be one of the highlights of the albu. Frank's falsetto is very thin, sweet, and tender, as well as a tad off-key at times, which if anything only increases the song's appeal. It's quite obvious by the strong playing on this tune that the band knows it and knows it well, which certainly is the case; and it is interesting to note that Dan Penn, the album's engineer, cowrote this tune.

"Go Find Your Saint" - At first I must admit that I didn't particularly care for this song, but after several listens it has definitely grown on me. It reminds me quite a bit of the song "The Snake" off of Show Me Your Tears, but this is a much stronger performance and a much better song. Frank's vocals shine on this one and the bridge soars. It has the trademark of a classic Frank Black song and would fit perfectly in a future Catholics setlist (one can only hope!)

"Song of the Shrimp" - Once again, Frank is vocally in top form on this, another classic Frank song. Though it is a cover, Frank has, like he did with "Six Sixty-Six," made it into his own, wonderful song.

"Strange Goodbye" - Another highlight, this emotional country song is just the way I described it, an emotional country song. Frank duets with his ex-wife Jean (aka Courtney Love) with lyrics that describe their parting after 17(?) years of marriage. Mix these lyrics with a classic country melody and chord progression and you have a true tearjerker. Unlike most country hits in this vein, this one is musically very tastefully done and appealing to even the most adament hater of these kinds of songs (which I would consider myself to be).

"Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day" - I absolutely love this song! Everything about it is perfect, and here Frank's rendition with the Nashville crew is even better than his amazing version that he did with the Catholics several years agofor the infamous unreleased album of the same name. With a beautiful melody, beautiful vocals, and a first-rate instrumental backing track, this is yet another album highlight.

"My Life Is In Storage" - Here is a gorgeous song divided into two sections--one an upbeat pop tune, and then the other being a sweet, slow ballad ending in a long jam. The lyrics to the first section are very autobiographical, apparently brought on by Frank's visits to his therapist who, of course, coined the title of Frank's last album with the Catholics, Show Me Your Tears. This song is another grower, but will become one of your favourites if you give it time. Much like "Go Find Your Saint," everything about this song is classic Frank Black, and the guitar solo at the end will leave you with goosebumps.

"Atom In My Heart" - This song is an intense rocker, and in my opinion the coolest song Frank has ever written. The opening guitar riff fits perfectly and the prechorus is quite tasty, leading into the chorus that just rocks! This is probably my favourite track from the album, and instead of spending more time writing about it, I'll let the song do all the talking.

"Violet" - A romantic ballad that probably would have been better left as a B-side and replaced with "Kiss My Ring" (but imagine how Violet would have felt about that!) This song is nice but nothing more than mediocre until it gets to the bridge which, by itself, is one of the greatest pieces of music Frank has written. It's actually quite a shame that the bridge did not get used in another song that's on the same level as it musically. If there's one overwhelmingly positive thing to be said about this song, it's that the lyrics are beyond criticism, which I'm sure Violet is quite pleased with.

"Sing For Joy" - The verses to this epic album closer were obviously ripped off of "Everything is New" from Show Me Your Tears, but that's perfectly fine by me, as this song is one of the highlights of Frank's career. According to Frank, the message of this song is that "Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance." What a wonderful message to a wonderful song, and the perfect way to close the album (well, actually, I suppose I would have closed side one with this one and closed the album with "Strange Goodbye, but anyways...)

¡Viva los Católicos! http://adrianfoster.dmusic.com/

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000